Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ In The Shadow Of War ❯ Hardrock’s Dilemma ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In The Shadow Of War
 
Chapter Five: Hardrock's Dilemma
By: Demon Priestess Saturn
 
Kento was angry he stood in the forest not far from the house beating up a tree. He was unhappy with what had happened to one of his long time friends. He was also unhappy with how much pain Sage and Ryo had been put through. Kento found himself drawing a blank. He had thought and thought about the situation over and over again and every time he thought about it he had come to the same conclusion. Kento didn't know what to do the only option he could see was killing his best friend. That was something the hot-tempered boy was not willing to do. In any case Kento couldn't let Cye get hurt and he knew Sage wanted to save Rowen. However Kento also knew that they would never get Rowen back. Kento slammed his hand hard into the tree breaking a chunk of the tree out. A single tear fell from the boy's eye. A look of complete despair had appeared in the boys face. Rowen why did it have to be you? Kento thought to himself when the wind suddenly picked up. It was only when the chill ran up his back that he realized he wasn't alone. Kento turned to see Rowen standing right behind him. Taking no chances he pulled his kanji marble from his pocket. Kento however seemed reluctant to transform.
 
“So you're determined to take my life are you? Why am I not surprised you could never be reasoned with very well.” Rowen said in a calm tone.
“Yeah well I get really unreasonable when you pull the kind of crap you doing Rowen!” Kento snapped coldly.
“Perhaps you will accept my offer Kento. You always had that thrill for a good fight. I will ask you once and only once to join me in my quest and surrender your armor to me.” Rowen replied with no change in his voice.
“You know I find it real funny that you offer the rest of us a chance to live but you didn't even give Sage or Ryo the chance. Not that they would join you anyway.” Kento narrowed his eyes.
“True but you are wrong at the same time. Sage was the only one I did not offer a chance to live.” Rowen said.
“Why Rowen? Why did you want him dead for sure?” Kento asked still preparing for a battle.
“If I tell you. You will have no choice but to join me or die because word can't get back.” Rowen replied.
“Then tell me.” Kento said without thinking what he might be getting himself into.
“Sage is the only one who can stop me.” Rowen replied. “Now are you joining me or are you going to end up like your friend.”
“What do you mean he can stop you? You took his armor.” Kento asked.
“He doesn't need his armor to stop me.” Rowen glared. “Now answer my question.”
“Then I suppose I have no choice but to join you. The alternative isn't as good.” Kento shrugged.
“Then give me your armor as a symbol of your loyalty.” Rowen waited. “Put it on.”
“Okay Rowen whatever you say.” Kento held up his kanji marble and sneered. Kento jumped into the air and called out to his sub armor. The sub armor appeared quickly and then the boy landed on the ground. Kento stood up from his kneeling position and stared back at Rowen with an odd smile spread a crossed his face.
“Put on the full armor. The sub won't achieve what I want.” Rowen commanded.
“ARMOR OF HARDROCK DOU CHI CHI!” Kento called for the rest of his armor. A suspicious look touched Rowen's face. Rowen glanced around for the other remaining ronin. Sensing that nothing was in the area Rowen was a little confused as towards why Kento would up and betray his friends. But to Rowen this didn't matter just as long as he would get the armor of Hardrock. When Kento finished his transformation he stood with his staff in his right hand. Kento stood staring back at Rowen and waiting for his next move. Rowen approached Kento and was about to use his power to take his armor when Kento made an unexpected move. “IRON ROCK CRUSHER!” Kento quickly called for his ultimate attack and aimed it at Rowen. Rowen leapt out of the way and pulled an arrow. Rowen targeted Kento but Kento already had the advantage. Kento took his staff and slammed in into Rowen's bow causing the ronin of strata to drop his arrow. Kento pushed Rowen back and they landed on the ground on either side of each other.
 
“That was an interesting little trick and you managed to fool me.” Rowen admitted.
“Yeah and that's a move Rowen wouldn't expect from me!” Kento jumped at Rowen again. Rowen blocked with his bow but then Kento took the end of his staff and locked it onto Rowen's bow. Kento moved his arm fast knocking to bow out of Rowen's hand. The bow landed a few feet away while Kento continued his assault. Kento spun his staff around above his head then swung it downward. The three part staff came apart letting the chain with the claw at the end go flying at Rowen. Rowen watched at the staff came flying at him. Rowen fell backwards as he was struck in the chest. The ronin of strata fell backwards and landed on the ground. Kento pulled his staff together and pointed the blade at his friend's throat.
 
“Sage thought that if I transformed I would just loose my armor and get hurt. However it turns out by pulling a move not even one of my good friend knows helps a lot.” Kento replied with a smug grin.
“Yes but I still know you too well Kento. It is true you tricked me the first time around but that doesn't mean you'll win.” Rowen suddenly spun around and tried to trip Kento. Kento flipped backwards and landed on his feet. Rowen didn't let him get his composer he jumped at Kento. Rowen grinned as Kento put his staff in front of him to block. Instead of hitting the staff Rowen grabbed it. Rowen knew he couldn't pull the staff from Kento's grasp, but it was exactly what he wanted. “You know I was right. If I waiting for you to go off on your own I knew I would get what I wanted. I must admit you're the best fight I've had.” Rowen grinned. Kento tried to pull his staff away from Rowen grasp but he couldn't.
 
“Well obviously you got me so why aren't you attacking?” Kento looked at Rowen. Kento stared at Rowen's eye and failed to notice that Rowen's hands were glowing orange. Rowen smiled as he squeezed the staff more and it began to break.
“You know Kento I'm going to let you suffer to death just for that annoying trick you played.” Rowen grinned. Kento stared strangely at Rowen's eyes and then looked down. Kento could see the last bit of the orange glow disappear from Rowen's hands. Kento's eyes widened and then his staff broke in two.
“Shit!” Kento jumped back and his armor disappeared. Rowen closed his eyes and two orange diamonds appeared on the shoulder pads, just above the fire design.
“You should have listened to what Sage and Cye told you because they were very right. Now how do I get Cye to give up his armor?” Rowen seemed to ponder that question.
“You leave Cye out of this!” Kento yelled.
“Of course… I know exactly how I'll get Cye to surrender his armor.” Rowen smiled and was suddenly gone. Kento eyes darted around looking for his friend. Then Kento screamed as a pain shot up his back. Rowen was suddenly in front of him. Rowen punched Kento in the stomach causing the ronin of Hardrock to fall to his knees. Kento moaned and looked up to see Rowen staring back down at him. “You could be of some use for a little longer.” Rowen frowned and grabbed Kento by his hair. Rowen smiled slightly and slammed his hand on the back of Kento's head. Kento felt the strike to his head and his mind began to wander. In all the confusion his mind blacked out and he didn't know what would happen to him next.
 
Cye woke up on the floor next to the couch. He had fallen asleep there the night before. As the ronin of torrent glanced around the room he saw that Ryo was still laying on the floor and Sage was still asleep on the couch. Cye sat up and to his surprise he could see that Ryo's eyes were open. Ryo turned his head when Cye moved and looked at him quietly. Cye almost smiled and slid quietly over to his friend's side.
 
“Are you okay?” Cye asked in a worried but relived tone.
“Better than I was… But I still feel like a truck ran over me.” Ryo replied in a low voice.
“Well I guess that's good. At least Sage wont have to do another heal job and kill himself.” Cye replied.
“Yeah. I know what Sage did for me. I should have waited until he told us about Rowen before I went to fight him.” Ryo said sadly.
“Sage will probably scold you later. You're not in any pain are you?” Cye asked calmly.
“No but I don't think I can get up. I took a hit to my back.” Ryo replied.
“I know we were afraid you'd be paralyzed.” Cye replied. “We were hoping Sage had fixed that too.”
“Maybe he did.” Ryo said as he grabbed on to the edge of the couch and pulled himself up. “Well my arms still work so I guess I'm okay.”
“That's good but you should stay right there your body still needs to recover its energy.” Cye smiled.
“Yeah I know. I'll be okay Cye.” Ryo smiled.
“Where's Kento?” Cye asked looking around the room.
“I don't know. I think he left the house this morning.” Ryo replied. “But I was half asleep so I don't really know.”
“He better not have I'll kill him.” A muffled voice came from the couch. Sage stirred under his blanket and turned to his other side to face them.
“Morning Sage how are you feeling?” Cye asked.
“Tired.” Sage said as he pushed himself up. “But I think I'll live.”
“Well I guess that's a good sign too. Are you two hungry? I'll cook some soup for you two.” Cye smiled being his usual caring self.
“That sounds very good right now.” Ryo replied.
“Yes please.” Sage said politely. Cye smiled.
“Okay I'll go make some and I'll try and find Kento while I'm at it.” Cye walked out of the room and into the kitchen. Sage and Ryo for a moment didn't know what to say. Ryo felt like he had done the stupidest thing in the world and Sage was simply out of things to say.
“I owe you my life Sage.” Ryo said suddenly. “You saved me even when you were too weak to. I really owe you a big one.”
“Isn't that what friends are for?” Sage looked at him raising a brow. “Why couldn't you wait till I explained the situation?”
“I don't know… I guess I thought I could beat him. I had no idea that he had your armor.” Ryo replied.
“Yeah I know I should have told you when you guys were up. I should have known better than to wait.” Sage said with a sad tone coming to his voice. He felt like he was part of the reason Ryo got hurt.
“Rowen doesn't want to fight us.” Ryo said causing Sage to look at him. “Rowen's not even in control of his own body right now. When I was fighting him I realized it wasn't him. So I asked who I was talking too and he said Elveria.” Sage's face went pale as Ryo continued. “Funny Rowen doesn't even want to be doing this but he can't stop her. Not to mention she shows absolutely no emotion what's so ever. That's how I figured out it wasn't Rowen. Tears fell from his eyes and his eyes seemed sad, but his face remained emotionless.”
“I saw that too.” Sage said quietly. Ryo turned his head to look at his blonde haired friend. “Cye said that Rowen was trying to make a deal with him. He tried to get Cye to join him.”
“He tried to get me to agree to that too.” Ryo said calmly. Sage looked up and into his friend's tiger blue eyes. Ryo could see something was upsetting Sage. It was clear in his lavender eyes however Ryo wasn't sure what was bothering him.
“He didn't give me that choice. He was just going to kill me.” Sage said with a hit of sadness in his voice. Then Ryo remembered what Rowen had told him.
“I know… Rowen told me he didn't give you a choice.” Ryo said quietly.
“But why? Why would he give you guys that choice and not even give me the chance to say no.” Sage said quietly his feelings were hurt.
“I'm not sure Sage.” Said Ryo. “There must have been a good reason for Elveria to just want you dead altogether.”
“I wonder why.” Sage said deep in thought. Cye reentered with two bowls of soup.
“That really smells good.” Ryo smiled.
“Well it should its not like I did anything wrong to it.” Cye smiled and set the two bowls on the table in front of the two boys.
“Are you going to have some Cye?” Sage asked somewhat concerned.
“I will as soon as I find Kento.” Cye replied and began to walk out of the room. “I think he's disappeared again.”
“Oh no… I hope he didn't leave this morning.” Ryo said with a frown. Sage rubbed his head slightly. Ryo glanced at him. “Do you have a headache?”
“I have a small one. Nothing serious.” Sage said quietly. “But I guess it's just enough to bother me a little.” Sage took a spoon full of the soup. “And I guess I'm really hungry but it sure doesn't feel like it.”
“Me too.” Ryo smiled. Then something came crashing through the window making both the boys jump. Cye who had just wandered off into the kitchen came running back into the room.
“What happened?” Cye asked.
“I don't know the window just broke.” Ryo replied but everything went silent as Sage stood up and walked over to the wall just above the couch. An arrow stuck out of the wall with a piece of paper on it. Sage pulled the arrow from the wall and removed the piece of paper. Sage opened the folded piece of paper a read the scribbled message in Rowen's handwriting.
“What is it Sage?” Ryo asked calmly.
“What does Rowen want now?” Cye said sounding a little scared. Sage didn't answer he only stared down at the note.
“Sage what is it about?” Ryo noticed how serious Sage's face looked. Sage looked at the two boys and with an angered look on his face he crumbled the note in his fist.
“Rowen's got Kento and he wants Cye to meet him at the entrance to the caves this afternoon.” Sage replied with a narrow of his eyes.
“He's after my armor. He must have gotten Kento's so now he wants me.” Cye said in a slightly scared tone..
“Well we can't let him get your armor.” Ryo replied also narrowing his eyes.
“Yeah but we can't risk Kento's life either.” Sage replied. “An armor can be replaced in almost every aspect, but a life cannot.”
“Are you saying we give him Cye's armor?” Ryo started to get agitated.
“No I just was saying it's not worth Kento's life.” Sage tried to explain what he meant. “We'll give him the armor if we have to. No one has't to die in this.”
“Yeah well I think Rowen is beyond repair I say we get rid of him while we still can.” Ryo said coldly.
“No we can't!” Sage said defensively. “Look I know I can save Rowen I'm just not sure how yet.”
“Sage is right if there is a way to save everyone we should take it.” Cye began. “If Sage says he can save Rowen then I suggest we stay out of his way. I'll go to Rowen this afternoon but I want you two come with me. I'm afraid of Rowen and I don't want to go alone.”
“We'll go with you Cye.” Ryo replied. “But I don't know what we'll be able to do if you get in trouble.”
“I know that you might not be any help but you might want to save Kento while I have him distracted.” Cye suggested.
“Then I guess were ready for him.” Ryo smiled.
“No we aren't.” Ryo and Cye looked at Sage. “Rowen is very unpredictable right now and both of us are injured. He might not even bother with Cye till were out of the way.”
“But you healed Ryo.” Cye pointed out.
“Yes but that doesn't mean his body feels it ready to fight. Ryo's low on energy and I'm not even sure with my injury I could be of much help.” Sage finished.
“Maybe there's some way we could steal our armor back.” Ryo said slightly joking. Sage's face lit up. He remembered during one of his dreams Rowen had told him something.
“That's what Rowen meant.” Sage said snapping his fingers. “To retrieve the armor you must call it to you. Maybe if I did to Rowen what he did to me I can retrieve my armor.”
“How? Your sword is broken?” Ryo pointed out.
“Well so are yours but that's not going to stop you. I'll think of something.” Sage said.
“We'll let's go face Rowen before I get cold feet.” Cye looked at both Sage and Ryo. Sage and Ryo nodded. The boys had decided to face a former friend.
 
Kento awoke and found he was having trouble breathing. He could see that he was outside but for some reason his chest felt compressed. He looked up to see his wrists chained in an outward position. When he tried to move them he found he could not move them at all. The chains were pulled too tight. Not only was his wrists chained so were his ankles. His ankles were closer together and he realized he was slightly suspended off the ground. This was when he realized he was in serious trouble. He was being crucified. How long had he been like this? He assumed long enough because he was having such a hard time breathing. Kento's mind raced. He couldn't believe this had happened. He also couldn't believe that Rowen was capable of such torture. Aside being slow suffocated Kento thought about Cye. Cye was the only one who stood between Rowen and his awful plan. It was true Cye was brave, but Cye's emotions would be his weakness. If Cye knew about Kento's predicament, Cye would quickly try to make a deal with Rowen. Cye always put his friends above everything else even if it meant letting the bad guys win. Kento's train of thought changed as Rowen appeared on the scene. Rowen of course was wearing his full body armor, faceplate and all. He walked up to his prisoner and stopped a few feet in front of him.
 
“Rowen how could you do this to all of us?” Kento said very short of breath.
“I suggest if you want to live longer you don't want to waste you last bit of air talking.” Rowen said coldly but at the same time sadly.
“Rowen you can stop this now. It doesn't have to be this way. We used to be old buddies.” Kento resorted to trying to talk Rowen back into being himself.
“Used is past tense.” Rowen sneered.
“What are you going to achieve with our armors? There isn't anything you can achieve with them. Rowen you'll never get Cye's armor he's to smart for that.” Kento said and decided he better stop talking. His chest was starting to burn.
“Cye is not smarter than me. I will get his armor. In fact he's on his way here along with your other two friends. Oh how I will enjoy your unsuccessful battle.” Rowen said.
“Why didn't you kill Sage and Ryo when you had the chance?” Kento asked.
“I tried too. It's not my fault you managed to save them.” Rowen replied coldly.
“I don't believe you. If you wanted to kill Sage and Ryo you would have. But you didn't. You could have killed them on the spot before you left if you really wanted them dead.” Kento retorted almost loosing his voice. Rowen seemed to ponder the question as if he had no clue why. When it was already obvious to Kento he didn't know why.
“Because I wanted them to suffer a painful agonizing death.” Rowen finally answered.
“That would only be true in Ryo's case. But what about Sage… You purposely missed his heart didn't you?” Kento inquired. “The Rowen I know never misses a shot unless he did it on purpose. So tell me if you wanted Sage to suffer why didn't you hurt him as much as Ryo?” Kento's questions were starting to get to Rowen.
“Shut up! I will not answer any more questions. I have work to do.” Rowen snapped. Kento knew he had hit a button but he wasn't sure how to get Rowen back out of hiding. Thinking about a situation and talking his way out of it had never been his specialty. Sage was good at that but now it was different. Sage wasn't there and the only way he was getting out alive was to talk his way out. Copying Sage's tactics seemed to be working but not well enough. The pain in his chest was progressively getting worst and it was becoming harder for him to breathe. He began to hope that the others would come soon. Either that or Rowen would come to his senses. Kento couldn't get himself out of this one and he knew it. He needed help and fast. But as the clock ticked by the situation slowly got worse and Rowen was nowhere near backing off.
 
End Chapter Five
 
Hey everyone! I got a new review for this chapter like last week so I decided I better damn well update it. Anyways here is chapter five so tell me what you think? Thank you for the reviews I love them all good or bad. So please send me more (T_T) it helps me to know how well I am doing. Anyways I plan on just working on this one for the time being until I finish it. Then I will go on a Buffy fetish and finish that one before I start Yu Yu again, and hopefully and Inuyasha story. Man I have a lot of plans. See you all soon bye!
 
~Priestess~