Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Two Swords: The Tangled Web ❯ Truth In the Sunrise ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ok everyone, I decided to change the title from "Two Swords" to "Two Swords: The Tangled Web." I definitely like that better. And moving along…

Disclaimer: Who's afraid of the big, bad lawyer, the big, bad lawyer, the big, bad lawyer. Who's afraid of the big, bad lawyer? Me so pretty please don't sue!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

When Kenshin awoke to consciousness, he did not open his eyes right away. The last thing he remembered was a girl telling him he had traveled back in time. He was scared that if he looked at the room he was in, it wouldn't be the dojo. He felt tender hands running through his hair.

"I wonder if Kenshin will be okay." That was Kaoru's voice. He had only been dreaming earlier. It was just a silly dream. The redheaded samurai happily opened his eyes to look at her. His smile quickly faded, though, when he realized where he was. They were in some sort of small hut. It was built in a very old style. There was a fire in the middle, and around it sat Yahiko, Sanosuke, the monk, the demon slayer, the fox boy, the angry man, an old woman, and the girl who looked so much like Kaoru. The real Kaoru sat by his side. Her fingers were still entwined in his tresses.

"Oh, Kenshin, you're awake!" Her hands quickly left his head, and he sat up. He looked hard at the people he had just met. They had to have some answers.

"Miss Kagome, could you answer some questions for me?" She seemed to be the most knowledgeable and the nicest.

"Of course, Kenshin."

"You already missed question and answer time, Ken. I asked a lot." Sanosuke was looking pointedly at him.

"It's okay; I can answer more."

"Thank you, Miss Kagome. Please tell me, what was that toad man?"

"Keh! He was a youkai, you idiot."

"Inuyasha, be quiet. He was a youkai, Kenshin." Kenshin's face paled. A youkai?

"But aren't all the youkai gone? Weren't they just legend?"

"In your time, yes. Here, no. We battle youkai everyday while collecting shards."

"Shards?" Things were not getting any clearer for Kenshin. As a matter of fact, he was getting more confused.

"It's something that makes the youkai more powerful. Kagome broke it and now all the demons are trying to get the pieces. They have to get to them first." Sanosuke was pleased with his explanation. It had taken him two hours to understand that part, and he was happy to spread his knowledge.

"Ah, I see. There is one more thing though. Mr. Inuyasha said that he was not human. What is he?" Sanosuke, Yahiko, and Kaoru looked over at Inuyasha. They had forgotten he had said that, or they didn't know in the first place. What could he be? He was obviously very strong, but besides his long black hair, he didn't seem any different from them. Inuyasha returned their looks with a glare. He got up and looked out the window. It was almost dawn. He knew the best way to explain to them what he was. They would have to see it.

"I am a hanyou. My mother was a human. My father was a great demon. Once a month, I turn human for a night. When the sun comes up, you can see my true form. Let's go outside. I don't want wimpy to faint again and ruin Kaede's hut." Sanosuke couldn't believe his ears. Had that man just called Kenshin wimpy? Everyone obediently followed Inuyasha out of the hut. They stood in a semi circle as he walked farther out and stood before them. He felt kind of funny in front of those people. They were watching him like he was a show. Kagome reached over and grabbed Kaoru's arm.

"Please don't be scared. He may look frightening, but he's the same guy as now." Kaoru didn't know what to say. Could he really be that intimidating in his true form? The sun crested slightly over the hills. Day was beginning to break.

"It's time." Kagome held tighter to Kaoru's arm, and they watched as Inuyasha's body let off a pulse. It sounded almost like a heartbeat. But to Kenshin, Kaoru, Sanosuke, and Yahiko, the pulse wasn't the frightening part. It was just everything else that was happening to the man. The black in his hair seemed to melt away like dirt did when one washed their hair. I was turning a pure white color. Inuyasha had his mouth open. They watched his canines grow into fangs. His fingernails stretched into claws. The sharpness of them was evident as the early morning light flashed off their edges. His eyes flashed red, then settled into gold. All of this was overwhelming, but the most startling thing had yet to come. Out of his head, triangles of white fur began to come up. His human ears were gone, and in their stead were the ears of a dog. Inuyasha smirked, and Kenshin stared unbelievingly. He was not lying. The man before him was most definitely not human. Kenshin turned to comfort Kaoru who he was sure was scared out of her mind. She had been screaming like a maniac when they went to that haunted house a while ago. But he found she didn't need comfort. She didn't seem to be scared in the least. Kagome let go of her arm, and she walked past Kenshin straight up to Inuyasha. She reached out her hand and touched his white hair. It was silky under her touch. Inuyasha raised an eyebrow. Then began sniffing the air.

"I feel like I know you," Kaoru whispered. Inuyasha grabbed her arms forcefully, and sniffed harder. Kenshin ran forward. He couldn't let any one hurt Kaoru.

"You have the same scent." Kenshin stopped dead in his tracks. What the heck was this guy talking about?

"Mr. Inuyasha, I think I would be best if you released Miss Kaoru, that I do." Inuyasha's grip on her shoulders softened. He looked up, thoroughly confused. His gaze went from Kagome to Kaoru then back to Kagome.

"Kagome, she has your scent. It's a little different, but it's very close."

"What the heck is he talking about?" Sanosuke was lost.

"Demons have senses that we as humans do not understand. They can hear everything and have a sense of smell that rivals that of any animal. Every thing has its own scent. Apparently Kagome's and Kaoru's are very similar." Miroku smiled at that. He was very good at explaining things. Kagome had been staring at Inuyasha for a while.

"I think I'm her reincarnation, Inuyasha. Just as we are both Kikyo's." Inuyasha frowned then looked down at the girl in front of him.

"She doesn't have a fighting spirit like you."

"Um, Mr. Inuyasha, I just think it's that you don't know her very well. A fighting spirit is definitely a good way to describe Miss Kaoru."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Well, I hope everyone likes it so far. It will get better, I promise. Also I'm thinking about an alternate pairing. It will be a good one, don't worry. Please review!