Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Two Swords: The Tangled Web ❯ Epilogue: Connections ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I am so very sorry that it took so long for me to get this up. I actually wrote most of the epilogue before I even started the rest of the story. My computer crapped out on me though, and I am uploading this from my college learning center.

Disclaimer: I don't own anything but my ideas.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))

The journey had been very long, and the little boy's feet hurt. He didn't understand why they had to go to this place. Why would anyone live so deep in the forest? He looked up at his mother and father. His father's red hair blew lazily in the wind, and he was smiling. The boy got so caught up in looking that he missed the root coming out of the ground and fell face first. He was ready to cry when he felt his father's strong arms lift him up.

"Be careful, son. I wouldn't want you to get hurt."

Further along the path, a small hut stood. Inside, a man was waiting very impatiently. He ran his fingers through his long red hair. He so desperately wanted to see his family. Each and every child that carried any trace of his blood was important to him. He wanted to be there to guide them. To teach them. Throughout his unnaturally long life, he had learned many things. His idol had taught him perseverance, to fight and never give up. The monk had taught him peacefulness. The demon slayer had taught him to overcome any obstacle in his path. The miko had taught him love. Then there was that man. He hadn't known him for very long at all, especially considering the length of his life, but he was important too. His words would always ring inside his heart. He had been just a child then, but he remembered it clearly. He had sat next to the man as he did something with his sword. When he had asked why, the man had smiled at him.

"I must protect those weaker than me, but if I kill everyone they cannot atone for their sins and change their ways, that they can't."

"But what if they just stay bad people?" The blade of the swod had clicked into its reverse bladed position.

"That's true, Shippo. But what if they don't?"

Shippo had lived out his life by that man's words. He had never killed a human or demon after that day. Inuyasha had laughed at him. All life being precious was not something the hanyou could understand. Shippo didn't worry about it much though. He had rarely been there. But that man's words were always on his mind. That was why he had decided to honor him the way he did. One day he, Miroku, and Sango were discussing family names. He had been upset because he didn't have one.

"Kagome's is Higarashi. Yours is Kazanna, which would explain the irony of Naraku's curse. And yours was Hiraikotsu. Why don't Inuyasha or I have one?"

"Because you're demons. I guess you don't need one. Inuyasha does have a family name now though. When he and Kagome got married and decided to live in Kagome's time, he took her name. Next time they come for a visit you should talk to them about it." Sango got up after that. She could hear crying. The next time Inuyasha and Kagome had visited, he did talk to them about it.

"That's so cute, Shippo. I guess you can pick any name you want. How about Kawaii because you're so cute?"

"Keh! That's stupid, Kagome. How about Kitsune because that's what you are." Shippo hadn't needed long to decide on his name. Actually, he had decided before. He just wasn't sure if it was all right to use it.

"I can pick any name?"

"Yeah."

"Himura." Kagome and Inuyasha had stared at the small fox demon for a moment. It had already been a little over a year since they had beaten Naraku. Inuyasha had bent down and stared at him. Shippo had been frightened for a moment. Was he wrong for choosing that name?

"Shippo Himura is an excellent name. You better live up to it though. I made that man a promise because he was a good man. Don't you dare tarnish his name." Shippo had looked up at Inuyasha after that. He knew exactly who Inuyasha was going to fulfill his promise with, which meant he'd have to come back to the Warring States era a lot.

"I won't." Shippo sighed as he looked out the door of his hut. That had been so long ago. Twelve generations ago to be exact. Three hundred and twenty five years. Now it was a time of unrest in the government. That was why he had moved into the woods. He had to get away from that. His pointed ears perked up as he heard a twig snap and the laughter of a child in the distance. His family was almost there. It had been five years since the boy was born, and he had still never seen him. He couldn't remember the last time he had been so excited. Quickly his features changed as they drew nearer. He went from a handsome looking young man to something entirely different. His smooth face wrinkled. His red hair turned gray. His ears rounded. He became shorter and hunched over. He was an old man. When his family arrived, they ran to him and hugged him. He smiled. He had missed them so very much. He looked at the small boy in front of him and took a big whiff.

"Gods, you can't even smell it."

"Smell what great-grandfather?"

"Nothing." Shippo was amazed. With only one-twelfth demon blood, the child did not smell like demon at all. No one would be able to detect it in him. The only clue was his remarkable red hair. Shippo reached out a hand and cupped the young boy's unblemished left cheek. The boy smiled up at him.

"And what should your great-grandfather call you?"

"Shinta Himura."

Yahiko trudged along next to Sanosuke. He was so tired. They had been walking on this outlying path in Kyoto for what seemed like forever. He hadn't done this much walking since they got back from the Warring States era two months ago.

"Kenshin, are we almost there? I'm getting tired."

"And hungry!" Sanosuke rubbed his complaining stomach. Kenshin looked back at them without letting go of Kaoru's hand. They had been inseparable ever since they returned.

"Just a little while longer. Where I'm taking you is just beyond that hill, that it is." When the little party finally reached where Kenshin was taking them, they were surprised. It was a small clearing with a few graves in it. He sat down next to one, and the others followed suit.

"Now I will tell you what we came here for. This is the legend of the beginnings of the Hiten Mitsurugi Style."

"You dragged us all the way out here to tell us that? Couldn't you have told us at home?"

"Shut up, Yahiko! Go ahead, Kenshin."

"Well, the Hiten Mitsurugi style wasn't always called that. The name was changed about a two hundred years ago."

"Wow, it's that old?"

"Yahiko, stop interrupting!"

"It's okay Kaoru. Yes, the Hiten Mitsurugi style is about three hundred and fifty years old. It was originally called the Inu Hanyou style. But that was not a very impressive name, that it was not." Everyone stared at him in disbelief. It couldn't be.

"So, somewhere along the way it was changed. It is said that there was a great Inu Hanyou that felt it was his duty to protect humans, especially his wife. He had a magical sword that could kill a hundred demons in one swoop. He was a very impressive man, that he was." The little group was riveted. They had also heard of a great hanyou who could kill a hundred demons with one swoop. Kaoru had even touched his hair.

"One day he decided that he needed to pass on his techniques. He chose the greatest human he could find. This man was raised by a demon slayer and a monk. It was the demon slayer's son. He had many brothers and sisters, but he was first born and the hanyou thought it best to teach him, that he did. He knew that he was the strongest. So they spent a long time together. Eventually, he became the first master of the Inu Hanyou and later Hiten Mitsurugi style." Kaoru squeezed his hand. She now understood why Kenshin had made Inuyasha promise to teach some one else.

"That was a great story, Kenshin, but why couldn't you have told us back home?"

"Because I wanted you to see his grave." They all looked at the red headed samurai. Sanosuke stood up, and Yahiko looked around at the few graves that littered the area.

"What was his name, Kenshin?"

"He was named after his father."

"Miroku!" Yahiko jumped up. It wasn't often he could deduce things so quickly. Kenshin smiled.

"No, Yahiko. I said he was raised by a monk. His father was the only man who ever lived that could kill demons with his bare hands. Apparently he was very impressive. He loved the demon slayer and then had to return to his own lands." Kenshin, Kaoru, and Yahiko turned when they heard a thump on the ground. The tall brown haired man they traveled with was kneeling in front of a grave. His hair and the white ribbon that he now wore in it blew softly in the wind. They went to his side.

"This is the grave of that man, that it is." Tear stained eyes turned and looked at him.

"Thank you for taking me here, Kenshin. And thank you for telling me that story. It was a very nice legend." He hung his head again, and tears dripped onto his rough hands. Yahiko and Kaoru gasped as they read the inscription on the tombstone. It was very old and faded, but clear as a bell to them. Kaoru reached out and traced the characters carefully. It read "Sanosuke."

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))

A/N: Well, that's it. For all of you who don't religiously watch Rurouni Kenshin, Kenshin's name was Shinta before he lost his family and met Hiko. Hiko gave him the name Kenshin. I would like to thank Sugarhighs:p from Media Miner for the idea to make Shippo and Kenshin related. Her idea to have Inuyasha teach Shippo who taught his kids who passed it on to Kenshin didn't work though because Kenshin was not taught his sword style by his family. Well please review my friends! I hope you liked Two Swords: The Tangled Web.