Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction ❯ Love Reincarnate ❯ Hold On ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Love Reincarnate
A Rurouni Kenshin Alternate Universe Fic
By: Serenity-chan

Chapter 10:
Hold On

"Midori! NO!" cried Souzou at the sight before him.

Midori was laying curled up on her couch, pale and shaking. There was a growing blood stain under her head and from what Souzou could see, her clothes were stained too. What in the world was wrong? He rushed forward and dropped on his knees on the floor beside the couch, cradling her small body in his arms. She didn't stir on her own, but her head dropped back limply and Souzou realized that there was blood streaming from her nose and mouth.

"Midori, can you hear me?" he asked, taking hold of her hand. "If you can hear me, squeeze my hand..."

Midori's hand trembled for a moment then she weakly gripped Souzou's hand. He breathed a sigh of relief that she could hear him at least. Then she stiffened in his arms, shaking violently. Her hands fisted, gouging her palms with her long fingernails. Souzou tensed, wondering what was happening to her. She wasn't... He couldn't finish the thought. Partly because he couldn't bring himself to finish it and partly because Midori just choked and vomited blood onto his chest.

The short girl with blonde pigtails fainted and a small-built black-haired girl hauled her out, muttering about meatball heads with spaghetti for brains. Minako and Makoto followed quickly, Minako taking off for the bathroom while Makoto just looked pale. The tall brunette shook her head to clear it and looked around.

"You!" she said, pointing at Reichi. "Call an ambulance!"

Reichi pulled out his cell phone and quickly dialed 911. The crowd parted like the Red Sea before Moses when Souzou emerged from the room. Midori was curled up and cradled in his arms, a towel pressed over her nose and mouth. Reichi almost dropped his phone when he got a look at the girl in his friend's arms. She was covered in blood and looked like she was dying. Nanaka screamed and Reichi did drop his phone when he caught her before she sank to the floor in a dead faint.

The phone cracked when it hit the floor and the ambulance director never got the location, so there would be no ambulance.

"My car. Now," commanded Reichi, taking Nanaka in his arms.

Souzou followed. Reichi set Nanaka gently on the front passenger's side seat and seatbelted her in. Her head dropped limply on her chest, still out cold. Souzou piled into the cramped back seat and settled Midori in his arms. Reichi directed him to use the car blanket, saying that Midori looked like she had lost a fair amount of blood and might not be able to regulate her body temperature. Souzou was trying his absolute hardest to remain calm and in control of himself.

"Don't die, Midori..." he whispered in her ear, holding her still form against his body as Reichi pulled out of the parking lot and floored it. "Don't die..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Midori had no idea of the chaos around her. All she was aware of was lying in the arms of a loving man and being cuddled and held as he whispered words of love to her. Souzou's shirt lay on the floor a good ways away and he was on top of Midori, kissing the living daylights out of her. His tongue slipped into the warm, wet cavern of her mouth, teasing hers to life. When he pulled away, Midori's eyes fluttered open and she smiled.

"I love you, Souzou," she whispered.

"And I you," replied the man above her, settling his weight gently on her and nestling his face into the curve of her neck and shoulder. "Forever and a day..."

"You promised me that a long time ago," Midori said vaguely.

Souzou's eyes clouded in sadness. He had said those words so many times, but the last time he said them to her was the night before his execution. Thinking back on the event itself, it didn't really hurt that much. The wounds in his body and heart and having to dread it for a night was really the worst part. That and watching his beloved suffer because of him... He shook the morbid thoughts away and pressed a hot, wet kiss to Midori's sensitive throat.

"I did indeed," he whispered against her skin. "And as you see, it holds true even over the course of more than one hundred years..."

"That long?" Midori asked dazedly, her focus dulling for a moment at the sensation of Souzou's warm, wet mouth massaging her pulse point.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Souzou was pacing around the hospital waiting room, earning patronizing glares from other visitors. He didn't notice, nor did he care, for that matter. Reichi was sitting mutely beside Nanaka, who was staring with hollow eyes into space. Her mouth hung open and she hadn't said a word since regaining consciousness in Reichi's car. Souzou fended off another nurse who insisted that whatever wound he had needed treatment, indicating the blood stain on the front of his shirt.

"No really, I'm fine," he assured the blonde who refused to leave him alone. "My *girlfriend* got sick."

"Oh," sniffed the blonde nurse, flouncing away.

"Ugh..." groaned Souzou, collapsing in a chair beside Reichi and giving Nanaka a worried look. "Is she gonna be alright?"

Reichi shrugged listlessly, unaware of what he was being asked and therefore not really answering. The sight of Souzou coming out of that room with blood all over his chest and cradling a girl who could have easily been mistaken for dead had shaken him badly. He shook his head, not to say no but to clear it, and shifted uncomfortably in the hard waiting room chair.

Souzou's hands were clenching into fists and unclenching sporadically. His dark eyes were dull and hollow, his face pale. His black t-shirt was stiffening in front because of Midori's blood drying in it. He looked down at the dark, wet stain and shuddered. What was wrong with Midori? Why was she bleeding out of her mouth and nose like that?

He had about a million questions chasing each other through his head when a female doctor in her mid-thirties emerged from Midori's room. He opened his mouth and all of them left his mind but one. The doctor looked fairly ruffled when Souzou turned dark, wild eyes on her.

"Is she alright?" he demanded weakly.

The doctor, whose name tag said Kasumi Fujita, closed her eyes for a moment.

"Yes and no," she finally said.