Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction ❯ Love Reincarnate ❯ A Dream Is A Wish ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Love Reincarnate
A Rurouni Kenshin Alternate Universe Fic
By: Serenity-chan

Chapter 11:
A Dream Is A Wish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yes and no..." said the doctor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What in the hell do you mean by that?" demanded Souzou, drawing a shocked look from Reichi. "Is she ok or not?"

Dr. Fujita chose to ignore the young man's outburst and continued calmly.

"Apparently she was given a drink that had been doctored, excuse the pun," she said dryly, trying to keep a professional mask on in a case that tore at her heart. "I don't even know what it is..."

"You don't..." Souzou trailed off, mouthing the word 'know' before his temper flared. "What do you MEAN you don't know!?"

"Calm down, sir," the doctor replied. "All we can tell, since it seems to have been in her body for nearly twenty-four hours, is that it made her throat and mouth bleed on the inside. Apparently it made the mucous that is supposed to be coating her throat dry up. Her breathing dried things up further and her throat quickly became raw. Also it has affected levels of melatonin, the chemical that makes you sleep, in her brain."

"WHAT!?" roared Souzou.

"She's bleeding from her throat and can't wake up due to a chemical in her brain that keeps her asleep," the doctor explained, getting rather annoyed with this young man.

Souzou sighed and his shoulders fell in defeated relaxation. He figured he wasn't going to find out anything blowing up like this. All that would get him was thrown out. He sat back and turned pleading eyes on Dr. Fujita. She gave him a small, professional smile.

"Do you at least know what got put in her drink?" he asked tiredly.

"We could only get a few traces of an unidentified chemical that seems to be some kind of mixture," the doctor answered. "There's no way to identify it now that her body has mostly broken it down."

"Well..." Souzou swallowed hard. "Is she gonna be ok?"

Dr. Fujita smiled at this young man who was so worried about his girlfriend. She remembered feeling the same way when her fiancee suddenly started having horrible nosebleeds. At first he just blew it off, saying he was just turned on at seeing her. Then they got worse and she insisted that he go to the hospital. It was a rare form of cancer and he died within seven months. She touched the wedding ring on her finger. They had married three months to the day before he died. Shaking her head, she pushed the sad thoughts out of her mind.

"She'll be fine in a few days," she answered, keeping her voice professionally cheerful. "Once the drug leaves her body and she works it out, she'll wake up. Really, she's only sleeping. I wouldn't be surprised if she just went to sleep and is still having the same dream."

"Then why was she screaming?" asked Souzou, perplexed.

"I wouldn't ask that if I were you," Dr. Fujita told him, a faint smile on her face. "Some things are a woman's private business."

Souzou blushed and bit his lip.

"So how long 'til she wakes up?" he asked, trying to change the subject.

"I'm giving her one to three days," the doctor answered flatly. "She'll have to stay here though because she can't eat in the condition she's in, so we'll have to keep her on fluids. But give it three days tops and she'll be back in class with you. I assume you two are together?"

Souzou blushed again and stared at his hand, remembering how helpless Midori had seemed as she lay in his arms trying to squeeze it.

"I was going to ask her out today..." he said softly.

Reichi perked up.

"Souzou are you serious!?" he asked incredulously.

Souzou doubted his face would ever be its normal color again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Midori was indeed still deeply asleep and still dreaming.

"Mmm..." she murmured as Souzou cradled her in his arms, showering her pretty face with kisses.

Her eyes fell closed as his lips trailed over her forehead, then down her temple and to her cheek. She smiled as he graced her closed eyelids with feather-light butterfly kisses, then brushed his mouth over them. Souzou smiled down at the look on this woman's face. She might not be his wife in this age, but he loved her nonetheless. Her face was still so innocent, though he could definitely remember quite a few times when she had acted far less innocent than she looked. A quiet laugh escaped his lips, rumbling up from deep in his chest.

"What's funny?" grumbled Midori, cracking one eye open and pouting at him.

He sat her up in his arms, his little half-smile widening into the mischievous grin she recognized from dreams past. She wrapped one arm around the broadest part of his chest and brought the other up to rest on the back of his neck. Gently, she bent his head down to where his lips were inches from hers.

"No really," she purred sensually. "What's funny?"

Souzou's eyes flashed at her for a moment before they closed and his mouth crashed down on hers, his arms crushing her to his body. Her hand slid up to thread into his hair, eliciting a pleased sigh from the man currently kissing her breathless. He eased up a little from the bruising kiss, running his tongue gently over her lips to soothe the small hurt. Midori's eyes fluttered open, her kiss-swollen lips barely parted as she panted her lover's name.

"Hm?" murmured Souzou in response.

"You're so good to me..." whispered Midori, her voice soft and breathy.

"I can't help it if I love you," Souzou whispered back, his tongue darting out to tease her lips, sensitized from kisses, and make her shiver against him.

He slid one hand up to cup the back of her head, giving her better support as he brought his mouth down on hers again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Souzou had finally been allowed in to see Midori. She was dressed in one of those hospital gowns and he made a mental note to ask Nanaka to bring her some pajamas. But she looked better than she did when he found her, covered in blood and shaking. Her face was clean, though a little pale, and her breathing was slow and even. Since there was no one else in the room, he allowed himself to cover her hand with his for a moment.

He smiled as he remembered Touya and Kyo, sometimes Reichi too, teasing him incessantly throughout high school. He hadn't dated much, saying that the girls there didn't interest him. As a result, girls practically threw themselves at him. What always amazed his friends was that even though he hardly dated any of the girls that offered themselves to him, he had no reputation as a heartbreaker. They always laughed at his reasoning.

He said it was for two reasons: One, that he didn't lead them on about anything - he wasn't interested in a dating relationship and that was that. Two, he would rather have a friendship that would be long-term and probably end peacefully than a dating relationship that would end up with a messy breakup and screw both their reputations.

--- "Yeah right," Kyo always said. "Come on, tell us the real reason!" ---

He had his reason right here and he was holding her hand. There was no way he could tell his friends about the woman whom he had seen in his dreams and he was waiting for. If they thought he was crazy in high school, they would probably have him comitted for this one. But he knew in his heart that he had found the woman he had been waiting for and he wasn't going to blow it this time.

"I've always followed my dreams..." he mused. "Why stop now?"