Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Come What May ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Come What May--A Sailor Moon/Rurouni Kenshin Crossover Fanfiction
 
DISCLAIMER: Characters do not belong to me; they belong to Takeuchi Naoko-sama and Nobuhiro Watsuki-sama (Aren't those two just wonderful).
 
*I'm setting this story in the Sailor Moon anime continuity, one year after the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars Season.  Usagi and the Inner Senshi are 17 year olds and Mamoru is 23 years old.  There are references to events that happen in the Sailor Moon anime and I give notes on them at the end of the chapter if you are confused.  For the Rurouni Kenshin part of the story, I am using the anime up till the “Kyoto arc” and then I switch to the manga for the “Revenge arc”.  Explanations of the RK events are also explained at the bottom.  If you don't know much about Sailor Moon or Rurouni Kenshin, be prepared for some spoilage.*
 
Chapter 10
By: Hime
 
Updates at himes_fanfiction-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. 
 
~*~*~*~
"Some love lasts a lifetime. True love lasts forever."
-Unknown
~*~*~*~
 
Usagi sighed as she peeked at Ryu's house from around the corner. The sidewalk in front of his gates was crawling with cameramen and journalist of the newspaper and television variety. `I should have known better. Of course, there would be the media camped outside his home. I can't get in to talk to him now. I should have yelled at him on the phone some more before I hung up on him. And I bet his phone's off the hook now.' Shaking her head, Usagi turned around and walked blindly ahead before bouncing off the solid chest in front of her.
 
“Ouch!” she cried out, immediately grasping her wounded knee to her chest.
 
“You should have watched where you were going.” A low voice said above her.
 
Usagi gasped in both pain and surprise. `Of all the nerve,' she fumed, `he's blaming me!' Usagi raised her head in the rude man's general direction when something soft and white floated down onto her head. “What's this?” she asked, grabbing it and holding it for inspection.
 
“It's a handkerchief. For your knee.” His voice was dry and a bit condescending.
 
Usagi immediately bristled at his tone of voice, but she used the white cloth to gently dab at the blood that stained her knee. After a few gentle swipes, the wound stopped bleeding and she crumpled the handkerchief into a ball as she carefully got to her feet. When she stood in front of him, Usagi finally had a good look at the man in front of her. He was probably a little taller then six feet, with a more muscular build then Mamo-chan or Ryu. He also had the most shockingly white hair, styled so it lay flat in the back but his bangs spiked up and out above his head. Usagi had no idea what color his eyes were, because he wore a pair of black wrap-around shades. With an apologetic smile, Usagi said, “Blood is so hard to remove from white cloth. If you tell me where you got your handkerchief I'll go and buy you a new one in thanks.”
 
“I got that in Paris. It cost about 11700 yen.”
 
Usagi stood still, shocked for a moment before she screamed, “Paris! Ohmigod, I ruined something that would have cost me six months of allowance!” Usagi held the now wrinkled piece of fine cotton into the air as she carefully examined it. “Maybe mama can get the blood out,” she mused out loud, “I think I heard something about club soda on stains…” She was interrupted by the sound of the man's low rumble of laughter. It sounded rusty, as if he had not laughed in a long while.
 
“Don't worry about it. I have many more at home.”
 
Usagi bit her lip softly as she thought this over before smiling brightly. “Here.” She offered him a white handkerchief with pink lace edging. “You can have this one to hold you over until you get home.”
 
The man stared at her in disbelief, though she couldn't be sure, considering the dark shades he wore. Finally he stated flatly, “I am not going to hold on to a girls handkerchief.”
 
“Why not? It's a perfectly good handkerchief and you don't have one on you at the moment.” Usagi tilted her head to one side in annoyance. Here she was, trying to do something nice and this guy wouldn't let her. Finally, with little patience, she shoved her “girly” handkerchief into his empty hands. “Just take it already.”
 
He stared at the handkerchief and then at her flushed and annoyed face. Slowly, he raised his black shades onto his head, allowing Usagi to see his brilliant turquoise-blue eyes. Usagi was a bit unnerved to see the considering look in his eyes.
 
“Have we met before? You seem very familiar.”
 
“Is that some sort of come-on? Cause if it is, I have to tell you I already have a boyfriend.”
 
He gave her a look of disbelief. “You're a strange girl.”
 
“Hey! I know that's not a compliment!” The man said nothing but just shook his head in helpless amusement as he turned and walked away. “I am not strange!” she shouted at his retreating back. Then she looked at the handkerchief in her hands and shouted at the man once more, “Thank you very much for the handkerchief!” With little grace, she shoved the expensive, bloodstained cloth within her pocket and hurried down the street back toward her own home.
 
~*~*~*~
 
Usagi gently closed the front door and turned around to face her mother. Usagi made a little “Sqwee” sound in her surprise. “Mama!”
 
Ikuko looked at her daughter with guarded eyes and said, “You have a message from Kohakume-san. He's been calling for you ever since you hung up on him. You can reach him at this number.” She held out a scrap of paper turn from the newspaper they had been looking at earlier that day. On it held a cell phone number.
 
Usagi snatched it out of her mother's hand and hurried toward the stairs, intent on getting to her room so she could call Ryu in privacy, when she stopped and turned to her mother. “Thank you.” She said softly before climbing the stair. She ran the last few steps to her room and grabbed for the phone she kept near her bed. Ryu answered the phone within 2 rings. “Usagi, is that you?”
 
“I want to see you.”
 
“Alright.” Usagi was surprised at his easy agreement. “Meet me at Rainbow Bridge in fifteen minutes.”
 
“But the reporters-”
 
“Don't worry. Just be there.” And then the dial tone sounded in her ear. Quickly, Usagi scrambled off her bed and grabbed for her jacket before running out of her run and down the stairs.
 
“I'm going out again. I'll be back later!” Slamming the door behind her, Usagi ran to the park as fast as she could. After reaching the bridge, she glanced at her watch to find out that she made it in less then the fifteen minutes Ryu had given her. `What do you know, for once I'm early.' Panting heavily, she rested against the bridge's railing and tried to regain her breath. After a while, her heart stopped racing and she could take a full breath without her side stabbing in pain, she noticed a man sneaking up on her from out of the corner of her eye. He was wearing a dark gray fedora, pulled low over his eyes and a trench coat tied tightly around his waist. When he reached out toward her, Usagi jumped back in fright and screamed, “Get away from me you pervert!”
 
As the man sailed backward, his hat fell off revealing a thoroughly surprised Ryu. “Oro!” he cried as he fell.
 
“Ryu!” Usagi exclaimed in shock, before covering her mouth with both hands.
 
“Not so loud.” He told her as he got up, brushing the dirt off his coat.
 
“I'm so sorry!” Usagi said as she tried to help Ryu brush himself off. Finally, his face bright, he caught her hands within his own. “It's alright, Usagi. I'm fine.” They stood still like that for a moment before Usagi's face grew red as well. Pulling away, Usagi turned and headed for the same bench she sat on with Setsuna a week ago. `Was it only just a week ago that I met him again?' Usagi thought to herself. Usagi could feel Ryu's eyes on her, so she turned toward him and asked, “Okay, so what's wrong?”
 
Ryu sighed before he answered, “Something dangerous might occur because of the bank robbery attempt. It would be better if you didn't associate with us for a time.”
 
“And how long will that be?”
 
Usagi heard him sigh before he answered, “I'm not sure.”
 
Looking him in the eyes, Usagi said, “I don't care if it's dangerous.”
 
“Well I do,” Ryu said firmly. “I won't have you getting hurt because of me.”
 
“How do you know something will happen to me? Are you getting rid of Shinnosuke too?”
At his silence, Usagi knew that Ryu hadn't done that.
 
When Ryu spoke, his voice was low and filled with pain and regret. “If you become involved in this mess, something can happen and-”
 
“And people can die and people can get hurt and people can get kidnapped! Yes, I know! But I am not Tomoe-san and I am not Kaoru. I am Usagi!” Usagi could feel her eyes fill with tears and quickly scrubbed the few that leaked out with her hand.
 
“Yes, you are a different person; we both are. But things still remain the same. I still care for you very much and if something were to happen to you because of me, I don't know what I would do.”
 
“Ryu, you can't control what happens. Life doesn't work that way; believe me. All you can do is have faith in people--have faith in the world--that in the end, things will work out for the best and we will all be happy.” Usagi looked at Ryu hopefully, her eyes sincere with her beliefs. When Ryu stayed silent, Usagi then said, “Okay then, how about this. You can't really stop me from seeing Yaruki and Yuuki. Wouldn't it be better if you had some sort of control over the situation then just me hanging out with them randomly?”
 
“That's blackmail.” Ryu said in disbelief. Usagi just smiled brightly at him. She knew he was mulling over what she had said as she heard a little humming noise coming from him. Looking out in front of him, Ryu finally said, “I agree that I can't truly stop you from seeing Yaruki and Yuuki without making all our lives more complicated. That's why I'm going to let you watch them after school like we originally planned. However--” He looked at Usagi sternly, interrupting her gasp of happiness at getting her way, “Shinnosuke will be with you three always, and you must take them directly home and not leave until I get back. Either Shinnosuke or I will take you home afterwards.”
 
“Yes.” Usagi agreed easily.
 
“There will be more rules.” Ryu warned her sternly. “And you have to agree that if later on I decide that this situation has become to much of a danger, you will not associate with us until I say it's alright.” Usagi nodded, still smiling largely.
 
“Then, I guess you can pick-up the twins tomorrow as planned. Shinnosuke will meet you there.”
 
Usagi got up happily, dancing from one foot to the other. Ryu also stood up, though his demeanor was much more serious. “Usagi,” he said softly, “I'm going to try to have faith.” She stopped moving, her body frozen at his words. She turned to look at him, her blue eyes wide as she took in his determined visage. “But please,” he begged her with his eyes, with his words, as he cupped her face in his hands, “do your best to be careful. It took me three lifetimes to find you again. I want to spend the rest of this one getting to you know you once more.”
 
They were both a bit red in the face by the time Ryu stopped speaking and when he started to let go of her face, Usagi held on to his hands and smiled, “I have faith that everything will be fine. But I will be careful because sometimes destiny needs a little help in making sure we all get our happy ending.” She pulled his hands off her face and instead pulled him forward down the path as she walked backwards. Letting go, she spun around and said, “I have to go back home. Mama will wonder where I am.”
 
“I'll walk you back.” Ryu offered, but she just shook her head no. “You have to get back to Yaruki and Yuuki. I can get home by myself.” Turning to look at him, Usagi saw him frown and gave him a mischievous smile. “Don't worry Ryu, Juuban has its protectors. I'll be safe.” At his puzzled look, Usagi couldn't help but laugh. “The Sailor Senshi always shows up at the right time to right wrongs and triumph over evil.” She laughed again at his expression.
 
“You believe in them? The Sailor Senshi, I mean.” He added when she turned her head to look at him. Usagi spun completely around and began to walk backwards. “If there is anything I truly have faith in, it's the Sailor Senshi. That's why I know things will always be okay—the Sailor Senshi will protect everyone and make everything alright.”
 
“Usagi…” Ryu began, his face alarmed.
 
“You don't believe in them?”
He reached out for her, “No, I mean…”
 
But Usagi cut him off with a sniff as she whirled around in a huff—and walked face first into a lamppost.
 
“Owww…” Usagi moaned in agony, clutching her nose.
 
Quickly, Ryu was at her side and tried to make her uncover her face. “Let me see…”
 
Tears were streaming down her face as she let his look at her upturned face in the lamplight.
 
“I don't think you broke it, you just smashed it really hard. There not even any blood.” He smiled down at her, his lips twitching in suppressed laughter.
 
Usagi could feel her tears welling up and took in a deep breath, the better to wail with when Ryu bent down and kissed her lightly on her smarting nose. She blinked hard in surprise and felt her tears roll down her face. With a tender expression, Ryu thumbed her tears away and gave her a reassuring smile. “It doesn't hurt that bad now does it?” With an almost transfixed look on her face, Usagi slowly shook her head, her eyes never leaving his. She blinked again and felt the spell that Ryu had unwittingly spun around her start to fade and was surprised to realize that her nose actually didn't hurt that bad anymore. Her breath was shaky as she stepped away from him, her eyes falling to the ground almost shyly. She felt him step away from her, and almost shivered at the absence of his body heat. When she heard him laugh, her head came up swiftly. “What?” She asked him.
 
“I tho-thought that…” he trailed off, overcome with laughter. He tried to continue, “Th-that the S-sailor Se-senshi would protect you.” He doubled over in laughter as she stared at him in disbelief.
 
Usagi wondered where that growling sound was coming from when she realized it was coming from her. “Stupid Ryu!” she shouted and began to walk quickly toward the park exit. Ryu quickly caught up to her, and matched his stride to hers.
 
“I told you I can walk home by myself.” She informed him huffily.
 
“Yes,” he said in mock seriousness, “because the Sailor Senshi will protect you from danger.” Usagi growled again but didn't respond to his teasing. “But since they don't seem to protect you from menacing lamppost, I'll save you from them. Watch out, there's a lamppost right there!” He laughed again.
 
Ryu pointed out eleven more lampposts on the way home before Usagi finally yelled at him to shut up.
 
~*~*~*~
 
*Tentatively waves hello* Hi everyone. I really don't know what to say except that I'm very sorry it took so long for this chapter to be released. I just had the hardest time getting this chapter out onto my screen. I do want to say that this story is fully outlined so I know what happens—even the ending is already set—I just have to actually write it, which I am finding hard to do. Hopefully, you guys will be seeing more postings from me this year…
 
Also, did you guys figure out whom Usagi was talking to at the beginning? With his introduction, things will be begin to move along, plot wise, which is great because now the action will truly start…
 
Hime
3/11/05