Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Come What May ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

If anyone wants to read an excellent crossover fic between Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing that doesn't include the above mentioned bashing, read Sailorcelestial's Broken Wing at www.angelfire.com/la/shunt6/BrokenWing.html. Sailorcelestialis one of my favorite fanfiction authors so please give her work a glance. You can find the rest of her stories at www.angelfire.com/la3/celestialla/celestial.html.

I need a beta-reader. You must have knowledge of the Rurouni Kenshin anime at least up till the end of the "Kyoto Arc" and from the "Kyoto Arc" to the "Revenge Arc" of the manga. You must also have seen the first 3 seasons and the last season of Sailor Moon. Knowledge about the manga is not needed but would be appreciated. You must also be able to keep a secret-no blabbing about what's happening next, alright? Email me at hime@alloymail.com.

Come What May--A Sailor Moon/Rurouni Kenshin Crossover Fanfiction

DISCLAIMER: Characters do not belong to me; they belong to Takeuchi Naoko-sama and Nobuhiro Watsuki-sama (Aren't those two just wonderful?).

*I'm setting this story in the Sailor Moon anime continuity (with a hint of the manga), one year after the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars Season. Usagi and the Inner Senshi are 17 year olds and Mamoru is 23 years old. For the Rurouni Kenshin part of the story, I'm using the anime until just after the "Kyoto Arc" and then I switch to the manga for the "Revenge Arc". As always, if you are unfamiliar with any of these two animes, be prepared for some spoilage, light or otherwise.*

Chapter 9

By: Hime

Updates at himes_fanfiction-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

~*~*~*~

"Some love lasts a lifetime. True love lasts forever."

-Unknown

~*~*~*~

"You're late!" Ryu cringed as he tried to shut the front door quietly. He sighed to himself, `I should have known they would be waiting to ambush me.'

"And you didn't call either!" Yaruki accused his father with delight. "You make us call if we're going to be late. As our father you should set a better example." Yaruki continued.

"Yaruki." Ryu said softly, but sternly.

"Dad." Yaruki answered back.

Whack. Yuuki smacked his brother from behind. "Don't be rude to dad." Yuuki admonished his brother, though he did look at his father with a disapproving glance.

Ryu sighed once more. The twins had a right to scold him. He was over three hours late. "I'm very sorry for being late and not calling. I do know better, but it slipped my mind to call. After talking to the police, I just wanted to get back to you two-"

"You were talking to the cops? What happened? Is Rooster-head in trouble again?" Yaruki asked eagerly. If Rooster-head was in trouble with the cops it must have been a good fight.

Ryu thought over what he was about to tell the twins. Years ago when he won that court case, he became famous throughout Tokyo. Because he became news, so did his sons. Both their lives were disrupted for months until the arrival of some sort of super heroine group that drew the attention of the media. By tomorrow, the story of the aborted bank robbery will be out, Saitou would make sure of it. `The court case will be unearthed and my family will be hounded once more.' Worse, by doing this for Saitou, his family will be in danger, as the White Tiger Organization would target his weakness: his children.

"The reason I was late tonight was-" Shinnosuke entered the house, cutting off Ryu.

"Hi honey, I'm home. What's for dinner?" Shinnosuke quipped with a grin. At the look on everyone's faces, Shinnosuke asked, "Oi, what's wrong?"

"You are, you idiot! What did I tell you about entering this house as if you live here?" Yaruki yelled. "And shouldn't you be in jail right now? Oh wait, dad talked to the police so you must be on bail…bummer" Yaruki trailed off, shaking his head in disappointment.

"What do you mean I'm not in jail? Who said anything about me being in jail?"

"Never mind him Shinnosuke. Come over and sit down. There's something I need to tell you three." Ryu waved the young man over. With a careless shrug, Shinnosuke made his way over and plopped into an empty armchair. The room was quiet now, everyone with their eyes on Ryu.

"Okay, what I have to tell all of you is very important. There may be a possibility with danger but before I get into that-" Ryu cut himself off and took a deep breath. Unconsciously, the twins and Shinnosuke leaned forward; ready to respond to Ryu's words. "Maybe we should order some dinner." As if on cue, a gurgling sound could be heard coming from the redhead's stomach. Ryu smiled sheepishly before a flying barrage of pillows and cushions pelted him.

~*~*~*~

The house was quiet, now that Ryu had sent the twins up to their rooms for the night. He had no illusions that they would go to sleep anytime soon, but they were going to bed at their normal time. Ryu was determined to hold on to that schedule for as long as he could. It provided a type of comfort to him that he was loathe giving up.

"Ryu, I can't believe you did that." Shinnosuke said, repeating himself for the third time in ten minutes.

Ryu sighed absently. "Well it's done and now we have to deal with the consequences."

"And with the White Tigers no less." Shinnosuke all but moaned, sinking backwards into his chair.

That caught Ryu's attention. "What do you know about the White Tigers?"

"I heard some rumors of them on the street. They were recruiting or something like that." Shinnosuke snorted, "Like any Japanese with self-respect would ever work for some Hong Kong syndicate." At Ryu's impatient look, he continued, "I heard most about them from Mikage. He wrote an article on how they were bribing officials in the government."

Right," Ryu nodded as he thought out loud, "Mikage is still doing his online paper." He looked at Shinnosuke, his eyes dark and serious. "Do you think you can get some information about the White Tigers from him?"

"Yeah sure, of course."

"Thank you." Ryu said, the warmth in his eyes made Shinnosuke look away, a hint of color staining his cheeks. "Stupid. What are you thanking me for? I'm your friend, of course I'll help you out."

Ryu could tell he embarrassed his friend, so with a small smile he changed the subject. "By tomorrow, the story will be splashed on all the papers." Lieutenant Seiji will make sure of that. "I'll be home with the twins of course. Perhaps I'll keep them from school for a few days until most of the furor calms down." Ryu began pacing as he made his plans.

"How did you stop the robbery Ryu?" Shinnosuke's question stopped Ryu in mid-step. Turning around to face his friend, Ryu noticed that though Shinnosuke's posture was casual, his eyes were alert and watchful.

"What do you mean? I already told you all how I did it." Ryu smiled, innocence shining from his eyes.

"Cut the bullshit. How did you fight when you don't know how too?" Shinnosuke sat up, leaning forward in his chair. "What aren't you telling us?" Behind his serious expression, Ryu could sense Shinnosuke's hurt.

"I'm sorry." Finally sitting down, Ryu perched himself on the end of the couch closest to Shinnosuke's chair, angling himself to face his friend. "I know some fighting skills I learned years ago." Centuries ago. "What I didn't tell you earlier is that the police are using me as bait for the leaders of the White Tiger Organization."

"What? What the hell is the police thinking? Did they force you into it?"

"No, I agreed to do it."

"You did what? What the hell are you thinking?" At Shinnosuke's angry shout, Ryu gave him a sharp glance and motioned with his head toward the stairs that led to the second floor and the bedrooms. Shinnosuke caught the hint and between clenched teeth said, "You could get you and your sons killed."

"I had to. This way, if they take the bait, the police can break up the group and they won't be able to cause anymore trouble or damage."

"You and your do-gooder constitution." Shinnosuke muttered under his breath.

Ryu blinked. "Do-gooder constitution?"

Shinnosuke looked away, a bit embarrassed and scratched his cheek idly. "Ami-san gave me a list of new vocabulary words." Shinnosuke turned to Ryu again. "I guess I'm not going to those study sessions or cram school for while." With a cocky grin, he shrugged. "Well at least I won't have to do anymore studying."

"But Shinnosuke, I can't ask you to do that. You need to pass the college entrance exam for your own future."

"The test is given every year. I can take it later if I have to. But the threat of the White Tigers is here upon us."

Ryu blinked mentally at the eloquence of Shinnosuke's response. `I keep forgetting that he's much older this his years of life.' Ryu thought to himself. "If you're sure," Ryu paused and Shinnosuke gave a short nod, "then I'll be grateful for your help. I'll have to call Usagi of course-" Ryu cut himself off unexpectedly.

Not noticing Ryu's dismay, Shinnosuke nodded. "Yeah, you gotta let her know that I'll be looking after the brats for a while."

"I'll call her tomorrow," Ryu said finally. "It's too late to call tonight."

"If you say so," Shinnosuke shrugged his indifference. "Do you need me to stay over just in case?"

"Not tonight, but maybe in the future."

At this, Shinnosuke took it as the time to leave. "Okay then, I'll see you tomorrow then. Sleep well."

Ryu followed his friend to the door, "Good night Shinnosuke. Be careful." Shutting the door against the cool night air, Ryu leaned forward, his forehead resting against the cold, smooth wood. `Why is it that when I finally find you once more, it feels as if fate is against me?'

~*~*~*~

Ryu almost spit out his entire mouthful of orange juice as he got a look at the front page of the newspaper the next morning. As it was, he did have to wipe the dribble that did come out before he turned his full attention to the paper in front of him.

"Bank Robbery Stopped." Read the headlines. `The plan is now set in motion.' Sighing, Ryu continued reading and winced when the paper stated his full name and made mention of the court case he had won a few years ago. Continuing on, he shook his head. The reporter made him seem as if he were a saint. Tired of reading, Ryu folded the paper back to its original state. Looking at the photo the paper had used to accompany the story, Ryu frowned. `They had to use the picture of me in the magenta suit, didn't they.'

~*~*~*~

"Usagi-chan, you're up early." Ikuko's voice was full of surprise. Shock even, as she came across her daughter pouring over the front page of the Sunday newspaper.

Usagi looked up from her reading and flashed her mom a smile. In reality, it was only ten in the morning, but for Usagi, anything before one in the afternoon was early.

"Look mama!" Usagi excitedly held the paper up with one hand and stabbed the photo repeatedly with the other.

"Yes I know. I read it this morning over breakfast. Isn't it such a coincidence that your employer has the same name as that lawyer?"

Usagi gave her mother a look before giggling. "They're the same person!"

Usagi's mother was stunned to say the least. "You-you are looking after that man's children? Why would he choose you?"

"Why does everyone keep saying that?" Usagi wailed, her hands over her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Ikuko grimaced as her daughter's wails became louder. "What happened to Luna?" She asked, trying to stop Usagi from crying. "I haven't seen her for awhile." Ikuko's plan worked almost instantly, Usagi stopped crying and turned her eyes to the paper again. As if taking a moment, Usagi closed her eyes and when she looked up, her eyes bright and shiny.

"Luna's with Artemis at Minako-chan's. She was missing his company. They're in love don't you know." Usagi whispered to her mother.

Ikuko pursed her lips in thought. "Hmm, if that's true, maybe we should have Luna neutered."

Usagi's eyes went wide in fear. "Oh no, you can't do that! Luna would pitch a fit!"

"Honey, it's not as if she would know. She's just a cat."

"Nope, no way. Not going to happen."

"But Usagi, what happens to all the kittens she ends up getting? Your father is not going to like having to feed more then one cat."

"Don't worry. Luna is only going to have one daughter. And it won't be for a long time."

Ikuko smiled at her daughter's earnest tone. "You sound so sure of yourself Usagi. How do you know that?"

Usagi paused, questioning herself on how she would know something like that as well. "I- I just do."

At Usagi's almost lost expression, Ikuko unconsciously went to her daughter, ready to comfort her oldest child, when the phone rang. Startled out of her thoughts, Ikuko went to answer the phone. "Hello, this is the Tsukino residence."

"Hello Tsukino-san. This is Kohakume Ryu." Ryu's voice vibrated through the line.

"Oh Kohakume-san! It's a pleasure to speak to you. I wanted to let you know that I saw the story about you stopping that robbery in the paper this morning. How amazing."

"Um, well thank you, but I was just in the right place at the right time." He paused before asking. "Is Usagi-san there? I need to speak to her."

"Why yes she is. Amazing too, since she normally never wakes up this early on Sunday." At her daughter's hissed "Mom," Ikuko gave Usagi a quick grin. "Please hold on for just a moment while I put her on."

Usagi grabbed the phone and held it to her ear. "Hello?"

"Usagi?"

Her smile faded. `Something about the way he said my name…'

"Usagi, are you there?"

"Yes Ryu-san, I'm here." Behind her daughter, Ikuko raised an eyebrow at Usagi using the man's first name. Even with the added "san" title, there was something intimate in the sound of her daughter saying the first name of an older man she had just recently met. `Why do I suddenly regret allowing her to work for Kohakume-san?'

"Usagi, I need to tell you something. I-you…I-I should have called you earlier, I should have called you last night." Ryu trailed off.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"I'm taking back the job. You can't look after Yaruki and Yuuki at this time."

"What? Are you serious?"

At her daughter's urgent tone, Ikuko felt her apprehension rise. `What happened?'

"Yes. Something serious has happened, something that doesn't involve you. I'll take care of it and…and after, we'll see-"

Usagi cut him off in mid-sentence when she slammed the phone on its receiver.

"Usagi what's wrong? Where are you going?" Ikuko followed her daughter as she headed for the front door. Not getting an answer, she grabbed Usagi's wrist just as her daughter was to leave, "Usagi, answer me."

Usagi looked down at the hand holding onto her, then faced the world outside. "I don't know, but I'm going to find out." Without force, Usagi simply pulled her wrist from her mother's grasp and Ikuko let her go without anymore fuss. Ikuko's eyes followed her daughter as long as she could before Usagi disappeared from her view. Ikuko went back into her home and gently closed the door, when she felt a drop of wetness fall onto her outstretched hand. Stunned, she reached up gingerly to find tears streaming down her face. `Who am I crying for? Usagi or for me?'

~*~*~*~

Author's Notes:

Has anyone else noticed that there are a few more RK/SM crossovers these days? Probably because RK's now on Cartoon Network I guess…

I was watching "Rurouni Kenshin: Seisou Hen" OVA over the weekend. This is the second time I watched it and once more I'm struck by its harsh beauty. Not just in the style of drawing, but its story as well. And even the English dubbed version was beautifully done. But why was I watching the English version? What can I tell you, I like pain…I mean why else would I watch this over again when it gives me such a depressing outcome to one of my favorite stories…

But seeing it over, one can forget the shock of certain events and instead concentrate on other things. The OVA did end on a positive note with Kenshin's scar fading and Kenji and who I assume to be his wife walking away together into the sunset. One part that still irks me is that even when Kaoru and Kenshin are married, he still calls her "Kaoru-dono." Gah, made me upset just like it did the first time I saw it…

Hime

4/18/03