Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Visit to Kyoto:Kenji's understanding ❯ A Reunion ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2: A Reunion


As the train pulled up into the station, they saw Aoshi and Misao waving at them. As soon as they stepped off the train they were embraced by Misao.

"Hi you guys!!! How are you? Kenji you must have grown !!"

She gave Kaoru a big hug.

"I''m so glad to see you Kaoru!!" She squealed. Then she turned to Kenshin.

"Well hello there Himura. It's great to see you . You're still the same red haired bum as ever."

Kenshin laughed. Misao was always so hiper while her husband Aoshi was always so calm.

"It's good to see you to Misao." He said with that famous rurouni grin.

Sano and Yahiko looked over at each other and grinned.

"Hey weasel girl." They said to Misao, knowing it would annoy her.

"Hey stop calling me weasel girl!!!" She growled.

While everyone stood talking, Kenshin went to talk to Aoshi.

"Hello there Aoshi."

"Hello Kenshin."

"How are you?"

"Good. Yourself?"

"Great. How's Kayame?" Kenshin asked , speaking of Aoshi and Misao's 13 year old daughter.

"She's fine. She wanted to come and greet everyone, but she had to help Okina clean up the Aoiya."

"Oh. Well its good to see you Aoshi that it is."

"Its good to see you to Kenshin. We should have a cup of tea when we get back to the Aoiya."

"Sounds wonderful ." Responded Kenshin.

Kenshin was always glad to have a friend like Aoshi. He didn't say much, but he didn't need to. He either liked you or he didn't.

"Okay everyone, let's get back to the Aoiya. You all look worn out." Said Misao.

As they began to walk back to the Aoiya, Kaoru slipped her hand into Kenshin's.

"What's the matter Kenshin? I can tell something is on your mind."

Kenshin turned his violet eyeson his wife. He should have known that he couldn't hide his feelings from his wife. She knew him to well.

Kenshin sighed. "Well, it just seems to me that Kenji wanted t ocome to Kyoto to do more than just visit our friends. It seems like he has come with a mission. Like he's looking for something. "

He squeezed Kaoru's hand.

"I'm a little worried that it may have something to do with my past. He's always been so curious about it. It's not that I don't want to tell him, its just that I think he's a bit to young to know all of the details. But then again maybe I'm worrying over nothing. I tend to do that, that I do."

Kenshin smiled sheepishly at his wife. Kaoru too had noticed that Kenji had been acting strange.

"Maybe we should keep an eye on him. You never know what he might do. He is such a mischievious child."

"That sounds like a good idea." Kenshin said.

As the two of them had been talking, they had arrived at the Aoiya. Sano and Yahiko had immediatley run inside to see if there was anything to eat. Some things never change. Okina was standing waiting for them.

"Well hello there everyone!!! Its great to see you again!!! Come on inside."

As they walked inside, Kenji smiled. He loved being here at the Aoiya. This place had always been like his second home. He loved being in Kyoto itself. He felt as if a part of himself belonged here. As Kenji was thinking, Kayame came into the room. She was a year younger than him, but Kenji and Kayame had always been the best of friends. Kayame came up and gave Kenji a big hug.

"Well hey there you red headed goofball!!!" She said.

"Hey there Kayame. It's great to see you. Um there's actually something important that I need to tell you. Want to go for a walk?"

"Sure." Agreed Kayame.

As the two of them walked, Kenji told Kayamehow how he was feeling and about his plan to find out more about his father's past.

Kayame frowned. "Are you sure Kenji? Don't you think Uncle Kenshin will tell you when he feels you're ready?"

Kenji shook his head.

"Well I feel ready now. And I want to know know. I love my father so much, you know that."

Kayame nodded.

"But I need to know now, no matter what it takes."

Kayame said nothing. Kenji sometimes did rash things, and he was incredibly stubborn. Kayame disagreed with Kenji on this one, but she knew better than to try and convince him otherwise.

"The first thing I'm going to do," Said Kenji, "Is to go visit Grandpa Hiko. I'll leave early, before anyone else gets up. I'm starting my mission tommorow." He said with a note of finality in his voice. And with that, the two went inside to have dinner and catch up.