Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Visit to Kyoto:Kenji's understanding ❯ A visit with Hiko ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A visit to Kyoto: Kenji's understanding

Chapter 3: A visit with Hiko

Kenji got up off of his futon at around 4:00 AM to visit Hiko. He even got up before Kenshin, which is saying something, considering that Kenshin always got up before anyone. Kenji walked out of his room into the cold early morning air. He slid the shoji door closed as quietly as he could. Kenji shivered. He hoped that the sun came up soon, it was along walk to Hiko's palce in the middle of nowhere. The man was so antisocial. Kenji actually felt a little guilty sneaking out of the Aoiya wihtout telling anyone where he was going. He know everyone would be sick with worry when they found he was gone. Especially his mother and father. As he walked the wind blew a piece of red ponytail into his face. He really di look incredibly like his father.And he hoped that by discovering his father's past that not only could he look like his father , but he might find alittle of his father in himself. Kenji was more determined about this that he had ever been about anything else. But little did Kenji know that someone was following him, and that that someone had an idea of what his plan was.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````

As Kenshin lay on the futon next to Kaoru, he had a nightmare. All the ghosts of his pasts surrounded him. He saw the battlefields of the revoulution. He saw his battle with Shishio. He saw Tomoe dead. He heard Shishio's maniacal laugh in his ears. He saw himself battling Enishi. He saw Kaoru being kidnapped by Jinei. Suddenly all of the memories became foggy and a new vision appeared in Kenshin's dream. He saw Kenji standing in a cold dark palce, surrounded by all of Kenshin's enemies. There was Shishio, Enishi, Jinei, and all kinds of people from the revoulution. And they all looked ready to attack. But Kenji had a sword in hand, and was ready to defend himslf. All of the men were laughing evill, and Kenshin could see a bit of amber in Kenji's eyes.

"Kenji, noooooooooo!!!!" Kenshin screamed before he woke up in a pouring sweat.

Kaoru woke up after hearing Kenshin's yell.

"Kenshin honey, are you okay?" she asked the concern clear in her voice.

"It was just a nightmare, that 's all. All of my enemies were surrounding Kenji, and they looked ready to attack. It seemed that Kenji had a little of the Battousai in him from the look on his face. And you know that I never want that to happen. I want Kenji to have a life free from pain and suffering.I know it was just a dream, but I'm going to go check on Kenji." Kenshin said, his amber eyes worried and thoughtful at the same time.

"Okay," said Kaoru, but Kenshin could tell she sounded worried.

Kenshin kissed her as he left the room.

"Don't worry sweetie, I'm fine. It was just a nightmare. I'm sure Kenji is fine to. I'm just being paranoid ." he said giving her that famous rurouni smile as he left the room.

Kaoru smiled at her husband as he left the room. He was always so worried about everyone but himself.

Kenshin opened the door to Kenji's door to find Kenji's futon folded up and Kenji nowhere in sight. Kenshin's heart raced as he ran back to his and Kaoru's room. This couldn't be happening.

He slid open the door to their room.

"Kaoru, Kenji's gone!!" he yelled.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````
Kenji was relieved when he finally reached the top of the mountain where Hiko lived. He was tired from walking for so long. He sighed. No one had followed him. Or so he thought. He knocked on Hiko's door. Inside, Hiko grumbled.

"That better not be Kaoru knocking down my door again, looking for my baka deshi. I don't know where he is. They've been married for 17 years, you'd think he'd tell her where he was going. He's probably gotten into another situtation like last time."

Hiko opened the door to find Kenji standing there.

"Oh, its you my baka grandson. What do you want?" Hiko said, his eyebrow twitching.

Kenji looked at Hiko for a moment, trying to decide what to say.

"Grandpa, I convinced everyone to come to Kyoto to visit you and Misao and Aoshi and the rest ofthe Oniwaban group. But I really came so that I could find out more about my father's past, so that I could discover more about myself. I know that he was here in Kyoto when he was training with you. You rescued him after his parents died, took him in and taught him swordsmanship. You're like his fahter. So I thought you would be my first link to my dad's past, grandpa." Kenji said all of this in a huge rush, and was gasping for breath when he finished.

Hiko stared. Kenji knew the general parts of Kenshin's past, but he didn't know all of the details. Hiko knew that Kenshin must have a good reason for not telling Kenji all of the details yet. He probably thought that Kenji was to young. Kenji was after all, only fourteen. But Hiko also knew that when Kenji was determined, there was no stopping him. He took after his father in that way. He led Kenji to sit down.

"Well then. I'll start from the beggining."