Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Visit to Kyoto:Kenji's understanding ❯ Hiko's story ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Visit To Kyoto: Kenji's understanding


An Original fic by Kchan88

Chapter6: Hiko's story


Kenji looked up at Hiko expectantly, his blue eyes fixed on Hiko's face. Hiko noticed Kenji's eagerness, and pretended to
think for a moment, making Kenji wait longer. He did this of course, just to annoy him. Kenji made a loud complaining nosie in his throat .

"Grandpa hurry up!! Stop stalling!!" whined Kenji.

Hiko shook his head.

"You're just like your father was at this age. Idealistic and hotheaded. And stubborn. Wouldn't listen to anything I said. But of course my baka deshi
has grown up alot since then. Its amazing how much like him you are." said Hiko, knowing this would only enhance Kenji's curiosity.

Kenji leaned forward, his eyes ablaze with questions. Hiko decided, finally, to start from the beginning.

"I suppose I should start from the beginning. As you know, when your father was seven years old, he lost his entire family to cholera, and he was orphaned.
He was picked up by slave traders. One day I was walking down the road to Kyoto when I spotted the slave traders. They had already killed three women and were attempting to kill your father. I diposed
of them and them made sure that your father was alright. Then I left. Later that same day, I was walking back, and I found your father standing in the very same place, but noticed that he had buried all of the dead, even the slave traders.
I decided to take him home with me, and raise him as my own, while of course, teaching him swordsmanship." Hiko stopped, letting it all sink in.


Kenji stared, imagining all the things his father had had to go through, how scared he msut have been. Kenji looked up at Hiko
with tears in his blue eyes.

"I can't even imagine what that was like for him," said Kenji, his voice shaky, "What happened then?"

"Well as I said I took him home with me. He has always been like a son to me. He is really. He is my son. I decided to teach him swordmsmanship. I promised to teach him the very best there was.
Your father excelled at the Hiten Mitsurugi style. He's the best I've ever seen, except for me of course." said Hiko, flashing an arrogant smile at Kenji.

Kenji rolled his eyes. Hiko was so full of himself.

"Anyway. I loved your father as my own, and we always had a good time together. We could always find something to laugh about, and we were very close. We've regained that closeness back over the years since we were reunited.
I taught him how to cook, how to do laundry,and about the facts of life. So he gets everything from me." said Hiko, laughing.

"Oh. So that's why he's so strange." said Kenji, trying to stifle his laughter.

"Hey!!!" yelled Hiko, his eyebrow twitching.

"Just kidding." said Kenji, smiling at his grandfather. "What happened then?"

"Well the years went by, until your father turned fourteen. That was when he decided to leave. Now he didn't leave for nothing. He really wanted to help Japan to be a better
place, so he thought he could use his sword to protect the weak from the strong, and bring peace to Japan. Your father had always been concerned for the well being of others. He thought that by fighting in the revolution and bringing down the
Tokogowa regime, he could accomplish this. Now I must say that I do not think that the imperialists would have won the war if it weren't for your father. He did help bring about a better era for the people of Japan by using his sword. He is still trying to help protect the people, even in this age of peace.
He helped this country more than anyone else, but it did damage to his soul to kill all of those people, even if it was for a cause, even if it was kill or be killed. he didn't want to kill those people, but that is what happens in war. I did everything I could to prevent him from going, because I didn't want him to have to go through that pain.
But he was determined to do anything he could to help, so he left." Hiko stopped, letting it all sink in to Kenji's mind, and also to stop the tears from flooding his own eyes.


Kenji looked down at the floor, thinking hard.

"So that was when he became known as Battousai the manslayer." said Kenji soflty.

"Yes." said Hiko, "It is. I didn't see him again unti he was 28. We were finally reunited again after all those years. I didn't show it,
but I was really very glad to see him. I was glad to know that he was alright. I taught him the final secret of the Hiten Mitsurugi style, and that helped prevent him from reverting back into the
Battousai. He could maintain self control. With this newfound power, he found within himself, he defeated Shishio. Your father has been through alot, but he is one of the finest men I know, and I'm not just
saying that because he's my son. I really mean it. But don't tell him I said that. I'd rather do it myself, when I feel the time is right." Hiko stopped talking, and the two sat in silence for a few minutes.

"Thank you grandpa, for telling me this story. Thankyou very much." said Kenji, grinning at his grandfather.

"I'm a pretty good storyteller huh?" said Hiko. "Well anyway I believe that there is someone else who wants to talk to you, and I do believe that he is standing outside my door."

Kenji turned to see Hajime Saitoh opening the door. A scowl appeared on Kenji's face.

"Oh anyone but him." He complained.

Saitoh smirked.

"I know you don't like me Kenji, but I believe I can help you to uncover your father's past. And I have some other things that I would like to discuss with you."

Kenji turned his face to Hiko.

"Do I have to?" He whined.

"Yes." said Hiko firmly, "You have to finish what you started."

"Oh alright. See you later grandpa,and thank you." said Kenji as he walked out the door with Saitoh.