Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Visit to Kyoto:Kenji's understanding ❯ Saitoh's tale ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Visit to Kyoto

Chapter 8: Saitoh's tale


Saitoh looked at Kenji from across the table, scrutinizing him with hard amber eyes. Then he began to speak.

"Well, you know that from the ages of 14 to 19, your father was known as Battousai the manslayer. He fought for the imperialists.
He was the most skilled swordsman of the imperialists, and was the key to winning the war. Without him, I doubt that the imperialists could have won.
During that time I fought for the shogunate as captain of the third squad of the Shinsengumi. Your father was the greatest enemy that I had, and though,we couldn't stand
each other, we still had respect for each other as true warriors."

Kenji interrupted him:

"Well who won when you fought?" he asked curiosly.

"Neither of us. Our battles always ended in a draw. Neither of us could defeat the other." said Saitoh.

Then he whispered to himself:

"But someday I will defeat you Battousai."

"What did you say, Saitoh?" asked Kenji.

"Nothing." said Saitoh, coughing loudly.

"Anyway. Many people feared him greatly, but there was no need to fear him unless you were the enemy. he fought for the ideals he believed in.
I guess he just wanted to protect Japan. He wasn't a viscious killer, and those people who knew him knew that. He was considered by many to be a hero of the country. That's
why people like Yamagata always come to him for help. He's been offered government posistions, but he's declined them all. Although I don't agree with his vow not to kill, it makes him seem like a pansy,
I still have respect for him. The idiot that he is." Saitoh stopped.

"He's not an idiot!!" yelled Kenji, "You just said that you respected him!!"

"I do, but that dosen't mean that he 's not an idiot." said Saitoh, smirking.

Kenji gave Saitoh a dirty look.

"Anyway. It is my belief that the man who's name struck fear in the hearts of men is creating a new legend. He has protected many people with his sword, both during the Revolution and now.
But of course he's still an idiot. I mean what kind of man hangs out with the roosterhead?" said Saitoh, laughing, much like a wolf might.

Kenji picked up his bokken and began beating Saitoh over the head with it. When Saitoh could finally get a word in, he said:

"You idiot, there's someone at the door for you."

Saitoh took this opportunity to throw Kenji across the room. Kenji landed with a loud thump.

"Owwww!!" he yelled.

"But right as he began to chase Saitoh, Sano and Yahiko came in. Sano looked at Kenji and grinned.

"So ya fell for his trick huh, pipsqueak? Don't worry I fell for it once to. Anyway come on. Yahiko and I have something we want to talk to you about."

Kenji got up and turned to Saitoh, who shook his head.

"Well go with the moron and the brat then." he said, continuing to shake his head.

"Hey!!!" yelled Sano and Yahiko.

"Thanks Saitoh." said Kenji grudgingly.

Saitoh waved his hand at him, which contained and cigarette, and Kenji walked out the door, wondering, much like many people, what went on in that man's head.