Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Ai Ai Nikushimi ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ai Ai Nikushimi
 
Summary: In the late 1860's, chaos broke out all over Japan, struggling to enter the transition between the Tokugawa Era and the new Meji Era. In the midst of all the chaos and bloodshed, a young swordsman by the name of Himura Kenshin appeared as an assassin, fighting for what he thought was a just cause. The turmoil has also drove clans to fight in all out wars against each other for their differences in order to prove one's truth. Among the most ruthless clans were the Chaukra and the Hiruseki clans. They lashed out at each other every chance they get, destroying property, personal morals, and human lives. People in these clans were born hating each other, and their whole lives were spent arguing over disputes against and for the Tokugawa Shogunate. Two clans, two philosophies, two warriors, and love? Will the two warriors be able to live together in peace? Or will their tainted blood rip them apart? It's up to Himura Kenshin to stop their uncontrollable rage and calm the storm in their hearts.
OC x OC, otherwise normal pairings.
 
DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of the characters from Rurouni Kenshin. However, the plot, conflicts, struggles, original characters, clan names, and any additional characters that I make up to make the stories fit together belongs to me.
 
Prologue:
 
Blood.
 
The scent of it was fairly common throughout Japan in the 1860's. People slaughtered each other. Everyday, countless people die from the chaos of the revolution. The struggle between the current government and the imperialists was difficult and usually resorted to violence to prove the truth to one's beliefs. Clans waged all out wars against each other to settle disagreements and violence… only created more violence. People's lives were being thrown away and the thick and musky scent of blood was everywhere. Pretty soon, almost all of Japan was caught in the midst of it all, and the current government was overthrown. The Tokugawa Era was brought to a halt and a new era, the Meji Era, replaced it.
 
The Meji Era, known to many as a time of peace and restoration… while to others, a time of conquest for power against a new and weak government. Samurais were forced to throw away their swords and live a life of peace and tranquility. That was not the case. Most have lost their jobs and forced into poverty. While some were pushed to the brink of insanity… either way, the age of the samurai has been brought to a stop. Some decided to start a new life… while others ended it right there and then.
 
Blood tainted the souls of countless individuals that were lucky enough to have been fighting in the revolution and survived to continue living in the now peaceful era known as the Meji Era. Memories of the chaos were engraved in the minds of the people and have turned them bitter against each other and occasional disputes were common in the now peaceful time period. The once fierce and ruthless clans were starting to dissipate, and pretty soon, clans were starting to become extinct. Though the memories of all the bloodshed would be forever engraved in their heads and the animosity in their hearts will never once again be innocent like that of an infant's, they carried on and persevered.
 
One of the most notorious clans during the revolution was the Chaukra clan, led by Tarowara Chaukra. Their opposition was the Hiruseki clan, led by Takahashi Hiruseki. Tarowara Chaukra was an heir to a long family line of samurais. Takahashi Hiruseki, also an heir to a long family line of samurais, formed his own clan, with views opposing the rebellions against the Shogun. The two clans settled their differences in philosophies by means of violence. Though both clans have strict codes of honor, ruthless fighting broke out between them many times during the days of the revolution in the streets of Kyoto. Members of the clans were brought up hating the opposition and the abhorrence branded their souls and peace was totally out of the question. They slaughtered families and friends belonging to the opposition and betrayal meant certain death. This was the everyday lifestyle of the members of the two clans, and this was the childhood of Tsuyu Chaukra and Sasuke Hiruseki.
 
Tsuyu Chaukra, the one and only younger sister of Tarowara Chaukra, was at age 14 during the outbreak of chaos. Their parents were brutally slaughtered by the Hiruseki clan, 5 years prior to the revolution. Trained by a skilled mentor, a contemporary to her father, she has mastered the art of swordsmanship and is more than capable of self-protection. Though she is the top priority in the eyes of her brother, she was a member of the Chaukra clan, much to her brother's dismay and her delight. She was the least known in the clan, partially for protection, but her skills far surpasses those of some of the most elite members in their clan. Beauty was also another strong point for this female swordsman. She was slim and slender, with a strong body, though some still mistaken her for a young girl. Her pale complexion signified beauty in Japanese culture and her long waist length brown hair tied in a loose ponytail behind her head by a white ribbon, was an astounding addition to the signification of beauty. Her chocolate colored eyes, a shade darker than her hair, always has a soft, gaussian look to them, which transforms to piercing daggers in the heat of battle. Her tender kind-heartedness was not like those of a ruthless warrior like her clan portrays, but her path in life tainted her so, restricting her from the title of “innocent beauty”. Yet, the blood of abhorrence rushing through her veins in the core of battle makes her a worthy opponent and a merciless killer.
 
Sasuke Hiruseki, one of the two surviving Hiruseki brothers, was at age 15 during the chaotic revolution. His older brother, Takahashi Hiruseki, was ruthless as well as a heartless killer. The only reason he was entitled leader of this clan and to have his family name as their title, was because of his brute strength and skill as a young samurai. Their family background is unknown, and Sasuke Hiruseki received swordsmanship training since he first gained the ability to walk. Though information of his mentor was also unknown, he has the most powerful swordsman in his clan, and was their most valuable asset… next to his older brother of course. Though their skills in fighting were quite similar, their minds, bodies, and souls were contradictory. They believed that people should stop the meaningless slaughter and is out to stop the violence against the Shogun and live peacefully under his rule. That was the purpose of their clan. That was the opposite belief of the Chaukra clan, which believed that people should try to fight for peace and create a new government where is no absolute dictatorship by one person. Sasuke was a rather mature, kind, and gentle boy. Though only at age 15, his mind has matured and his constant slayings in order to keep his beliefs has opened up his mind and he gained wisdom about life. He was not rash to decisions like his brother was and not every answer was decided by the winners of battle. Because of this sturdiness, many people in his clan look up to him. His short brown hair with bangs covering his forehead above his eyes, attracts quite a lot of attention from the opposite gender along with some quite similar to himself. His body showed signs of maturity and his strength was great for his age. His charcoaled colored eyes were narrow and a true indication of skill. Though his kind and gentleness might not be a familiar trait to heartless assassins, his performance in combat says otherwise. Growing up in the Hiruseki clan granted him the inheritance of the same hatred and loathing for the opposition … the Chaukra clan.
 
Kenshin Himura, the young man that earned himself the nickname of Battousai the manslayer, was at age 18 during all the fighting and struggles. His mentor, Hiko Seijuro the thirteenth, taught Kenshin the principles of the Hiten Mitsurugi Style and Kenshin gained the strength to fight for what he believed in. With a head of long, red hair and a tough body, Kenshin might not look intimidating, but his skill in swordsmanship makes up for everything about his appearance. Enlisted to the Choushuu Clan by Katsura Kogoro, he was asked to become and assassin to help Katsura Kogoro overthrow the current government and replace it with the new Meji government. He carried out numerous assassinations with skill and precision. One night he meets a woman by the name of Tomoe Yukishiro, and through time, fell in love. Through complicated circumstances, Tomoe is slain by Kenshin and he vows that after the chaos is all over, he will never kill again.
 
Rain.
 
It never stops. The cold, painful rain… combined with Japan's notorious ocean winds from the East… the east wind… and the powerful wind from the West… the west wind… truly makes the body tremble uncontrollably. It was a cold night in the city of Kyoto.
 
Blood.
 
Another life gone amidst the chaos. The slayer sheathes his sword.
 
`With my sword, I will protect the weak and the suffering…' Was the last thought before walking off.
 
Rain.
 
Each drop was like life itself. Falling from the sky freely, then taken by the wind it starts falling off course… as it hits the ground below, never knowing where it might land… or if it lands on the ground at all.
 
`When will it stop raining?' Was the last thought before being given a sakura-patterned umbrella by a protective brother.
 
Blood.
 
With each drop so fragile, the difference between life and death… a paper-thin margin.
 
`When will this meaningless slaughter end?' Was the last thought before letting the rain continue to wash off his sword.
 
 
`…When will it stop?'