Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Ai Ai Nikushimi ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1: Forbidden Love
 
It was dark and the rain continued to drizzle down upon the murky shadows in city of Kyoto. Turning corners with the thought that it might be your last lingers in the head of its population. Bloody slaughters are being executed all around the city. The police are powerless to stop them. Arguments and disagreements can be heard through distinct locations in the city… followed by the pounding of fists and the occasional clanging of swords.
 
An ear-piercing scream can be heard at an empty alleyway. Another life is lost in the seemingly never-ending chaos. They slayer cleans the blood off his sword with stacks of paper, and then discards it. He then sheaths his sword and looks up at the sky, letting the droplets of rain run down his face and down his cheeks.
 
“Well done Kenshin.” A man with an umbrella comments as he approaches him. The man named Kenshin continues to stare at the sky, and then proceeds to walking slowly to the opposite direction, brushing off that comment.
 
`I will protect the weak and the suffering…' His own voice rings in his head as he continues to walk slowly in the rain. He turns to his right around a corner until a deafening scream was heard. Kenshin's alertness instantly rose up as he places his hand on his sword. He stands still and listens carefully to the surroundings around him. His mind then registers the location of the scream and ran back the way he came from, and around the corner he just took. The white umbrella of the man rolls towards Kenshin as Kenshin glares at the direction from which it rolled. The wind was blowing as the liquid droplets of rain collided with his face. His eyes narrow.
 
There standing next to the corpse of the man that had just complimented Kenshin earlier was a young man, sword drawn and pointed to the ground with bright crimson blood running down its blade. His eyes seem to be lost in thought as he was staring at the ground, now stained with the mixture of blood and rain. Water trickled off his blade as the rain mixes with the drops of blood still fresh on his sword.
 
`When will it cease?' His grip tightened on the hilt of his sword. He looks up and stares straight into the eyes of the Battousai, standing near the corner of another alleyway. His grip on his sword tightens even more.
 
CLING!
 
The clash of the two swords could be heard in the downpour. The two metal blades continue to rub against each other in a contest of strength. A mixture of rain and blood from their previous slaughters continue to drip down from the blade of their swords as they exert more and more force onto their blades, trying to thrust each other out of the way. Their eyes focused in each other's as the contest of strength continues.
 
Deep in his eyes he wanted all the fighting and chaos to stop. This man pushing against me is keeping me from reaching my goal. He must be destroyed.
 
Deep in Kenshin's eyes he wanted to help the weak and oppressed. This young man is keeping me from reaching my goal. He must be destroyed.
 
They both used their upper body strengths to thrust their swords against each other as Kenshin starts to growl in frustration. His face remains emotionless and lost in thought.
 
A whistle was heard in the distance. Force immediately stopped being applied to the two swords as both of their eyes widen slightly at the sudden interruption.
 
`Shinsen-gumi!' Kenshin falters back and away from him as he growls. They have another stare-down as both of their eyes narrow, as if having an argument with their minds. Kenshin sends him a low growl.
 
“HALT, WE ARE THE SHINSEN-GUMI!” Could be heard from the distance.
 
The whistle was blown again. This time, Kenshin sheaths his sword and takes off around the corner, leaving him alone in the rain with his thoughts again. He emits a low, menacing growl to himself as he sheaths his sword in a way that shows that he is extremely irritated… one swift movement.
 
“What happened here?” A member of the Shinsen-gumi asks him as they examine the corpses not too far away. He says nothing.
 
“Mr. Sasuke, are you alright?” Another member of the Shinsen-gumi asks. Their two clans were on equal grounds.
 
“Hmph.” Was what the one known as Sasuke said out of frustration before he turns around and walks off.
 
Lightning and thunder illuminates the skies as Sasuke trudge down the empty streets. His clothes were completely soaked in water and a few droplets of blood. Beads of rain flow down his hair and his head as more flashes of lightning and roars of thunder sound in the skies above him. He clenches his right fist as his left hand gently brushes against his sword attached to his belt on his blue hakama. He stops walking all of a sudden.
 
“WHEN WILL IT ALL STOP?!” He screams into the open night sky as flashes of lightning and roars of thunder echo across the city.
 
A small, quick gasp escapes her lips as she lowers her sakura patterned umbrella and glances at the dark night sky.
 
`The rain… it stopped?' she stares at the night sky, as if to expect an answer.
 
“Miss Tsuyu, you should come inside or you'll get sick!” a woman says in a rather high-pitched voice, full of worry.
 
Tsuyu continues to stare at the now clear night sky. It's been a while since I've caught a glimpse of the stars. The clouds start to drift away and seemingly disappear into the mountains. The night was still as cold as ever as water trickle down the roofs of the houses around her, creating a melancholic tune. The east wind blows by her as she uses her left hand to relieve the free tresses of brown hair from her face. She was standing outside the back of a restaurant, an alleyway, with a stone covered wall in front of her. Her white kimono top and red hakama bottom swayed in unison with the wind. Her paired wakizashi and katana hung on the left side of her obi. Her long brown hair was tied up with a black strip of ribbon in a high ponytail that night. Earlier, she had been on a secret assassination assignment from the request of her older brother personally. She carried it out without flaws and she had just returned and had a conversation with her brother outside the back of a restaurant, which was one of the secret Chaukra hideouts. She was standing alone now, in the cold, dark night, gazing upon the night sky. It was rare to have time to enjoy the simpler things in life in times like these. A small smile crept up to her lips as her mind becomes lost in a state of bliss while staring at the beautiful and calm night sky.
 
Footsteps.
 
Faint, but nevertheless headed her way. The soft footsteps and friction between the ground and his Zori, which was a sandal-like shoe worn by the samurai, could be heard approaching towards her position. The fading scent of fresh blood filled her nostrils as the owner of the footsteps approached closer. She grips the cold, hard, black sheath of her katana blade with her left hand as she listens for any sudden changes of movement from the original pace of the footsteps. She keeps her guard up as her right hand reaches for the hilt of her katana. The pace of the footsteps remained the same as the figure walked out of the shadows of the alleyway.
 
His attire consisted of a navy blue hakama bottom and a white kimono-like shirt… both soaked in rain. He had two swords strapped onto his obi, one katana, and one wakizashi. His brown hair was drenched from the rain and his bangs stuck to his face, making it difficult to see his black eyes. It appeared like her presence ahead was nonexistent. He was walking gracefully; as if he was wandering in a world where time cease to exist… his expression lost in a cloud of thought.
 
`Is he a Hiruseki?' She thought to herself. Hiruseki members had their own special sets of uniforms with their clan symbol illustrated on it. This figure walking towards her direction bore no such uniform. He could be a secret assassin for the Hiruseki clan, in which it is not necessary to wear such attires. Such a thought brushed past her mind because she too, was a secret assassin of the Chaukra clan, just so that her identity could not be made public. Her identity was not much known through the lower class members of their clans, only the more important members of their clan knew her place in it. Such a clever man her brother is. Her right hand fastens the grip on the hilt of her katana. He looks up at her with his charcoal colored eyes. He didn't seem to want to inflict any harm upon anyone. Tsuyu keeps her guard up as she stares straight into his eyes, searching for a hidden motive or perhaps fraud? None…
 
“Do not be alarmed, miss… I am merely just cutting across the back to get to the path in which I plan on taking.” He says in defense as he puts his arms up. Tsuyu focuses her eyes a bit on his expression and conclude that he desires no harm. Her tense body relaxes as he passes by but keeps her guard up. He flashes her a kind smile as their eyes made contact once again. She looked the away, attempting to conceal a faint blush.
 
“You should stay inside tonight, miss. It's not safe out here in the streets tonight; the smell of blood is as thick as ever. You should be careful.” He says while continuing on his way. His form soon disappears into the darkness of the night and Tsuyu is left all alone once again, in the gloomy alleyway. Her body relaxes even more and she takes her hands off the hilt and sheath of the katana. She turns around and picks up her sakura-patterned umbrella that was leaning against the wooden walls in the back of the restaurant and walks inside.
 
Sasuke was walking down the street towards the Hiruseki base when the messenger of his clan rushes quickly to him, handing him a black envelope. The messenger looks at him meagerly and Sasuke's eyes quickly scan the note on the paper that was written, addressed to him. After finishing, he slips the note back into the envelope and tucks it in the sleeve of his kimono. He sighs and nods approvingly to the messenger and turns back around to the direction in which he came. The messenger nods in return and returns to the base.
 
`Why must people do this… why can't we be satisfied with the current government?' He walks quickly and turns right at the next corner. He keeps walking down the path filled with shadows of the walls around the perimeter of the street caused by the moonlight and spots a pair of people walking with a lantern. They seem to be in a serious conversation to not notice him approach them from up ahead.
 
They were middle-age men, one was wearing a brown yukata and the other was wearing a royal blue yukata. They chatted in a hushed but rushed and their expressions seem stressed. Sasuke strolls casually near them and stops in their path.
 
“Who are you?!” The one in brown calls out. The one in royal blue shines his candle-lit lantern in front of them and examines Sasuke. Sasuke says nothing and holds the sheath of his katana with his left hand and draws the sword with his right hand. He holds the sword in front of him in a fighting stance while the two men cower in fear.
 
“What is it that you want with us?!” They call out to him with no avail. Those were the last words to escape their lips before their bodies fall to the ground and a pool of crimson red blood forms around the two dead bodies. Sasuke turns around and examines his work. It was a clean cut, both across the abdomen, in one swift stroke as he charged past them in extreme speeds. His blade gleams in the moonlight as droplets of blood stream down the sharp edges of his sword freely and onto the ground, creating its own small puddle. He then shakes the excess blood off his sword and proceeds to cleaning the blade with a stack of thin paper before sheathing it again. He looks at his work one last time before heading back to his base, where he can finally rests after two assassinations in one night.
 
The moon was nearly full and was high up in the sky and the air was cold and breezy. The wind seems to flow without restraint past him, relieving the tresses of hair that framed his face earlier. He walks emotionlessly back to his base, the faint scent of unfamiliar blood lingering around his body. He wanted a bath.
 
Dawn was finding its way up and over the horizon of the sea as the sun slowly creeps up upon the sky. A new day has begun, along with new hopes and new challenges, and the thought that we had lived through another day painted in the minds of the people carrying out their morning duties.
 
Tsuyu had awoken that morning when Tarowara barged into her room requesting that she attend the next meeting held shortly after with the elite members of their clan. She agrees and proceeds to getting dressed no matter how much her body wanted to just lay down and go back to sleep. Her room was a typical Japanese style room with tatami mats and a shoji sliding door. She slept in the middle of the room and there was a small table littered with her belongings against the wall. She wore a soft light blue and white colored kimono this morning, with illustrations of cotton-like snow along the sleeves and bottom. She wore white tabi socks and slips on her zori. A bright red obi was added with her dress and she proceeded to fixing her hair. She took a seat in front of a small table and peeked into the circular mirror placed on the table-top and continued on to brushing her long waist length brown hair and tying it in a low ponytail accompanied by a pink bow. Quite a feminine touch compared to the previous night's garments worn after the assassination. She then touches up her face with bits of makeup and a small quantity of rouge for her lips to make them appear brighter with her pale complexion. Then, she opens reaches over and picks up her small tonto blade, a small dagger-like knife, and slips it into her obi, for self-defense. Her katana and wakizashi were left just under the table as she proceeds to leaving the room. She slides open the shoji door and walks out, heading towards the room where the meeting was to be held.
 
After the meeting, she wanted to go out and get some lunch. A few of the guys in her clan accompany her as she strolls casually down the busy Kyoto streets. Tarowara had to attend another meeting shortly afterwards, so he could not attend lunch with them. Glances were being shifted as she walks down the street, some in wonder, some in lust, some in jealousy, and others just pure curiosity. Why would such a young girl be walking with the infamous Chaukra clan?
 
They arrive at a restaurant famous for their good service and a wide variety of food. They were greeted by friendly waitresses and presented them with their seats. It was a simple traditional Japanese restaurant with tatami mats and a low-set table and cushions as chairs. Shoji wall barriers separated the different tables and allowed some privacy. Tsuyu sat near the inside of the table with her back against the wall. Her 4 comrades sat all around the table. They then called over one of the waitresses and instantly started flirting. The bashful young waitress stutters uncomfortably as they complemented her.
 
“Maybe you and I should go out to dinner some time? On me!” One of her comrades say with a seductive smile… well, creepy smile to everyone else. The waitress kindly rejects him.
 
“Hey baby, how about you and I have some fun later I live fairly close by…” Another one of her comrades says. The waitress shifts awkwardly in her place as she rejects him.
 
“How about all of you shut your mouths and order?” Tsuyu was getting overly aggravated… and famished. They turn to her and shrugged, wondering what her problem was.
 
“Then how about you and I go to my place after lunch and you can blow my—“
 
SLAP!
 
The sound echoed and his voice was cut off as Tsuyu's hand was carrying out an enormous blow to his cheeks. A harsh red glowing imprint of a palm and 5 fingers formed on the cheek that had taken the hit. She was definitely irritated by that moment. The man mutters to himself as he rubs his cheek to relieve the pain.
 
The food was delivered shortly after ordering and they gorged down on the food like pigs. Tsuyu on the other hand, ate quite politely and was irked even further at their impoliteness. After being filled, they sat back, relaxed, and drank some sake. Tsuyu sipped small amounts of this rice wine, and sat elegantly. Conversations passed between them as they talked about the weirdest topics… from the sharpness of their swords to different kinds of foods in parts of Japan, as well as types of women. Typical men.
 
CRASH!
 
The sudden sound of a broken bottle was heard down the room. Tsuyu's comrades stand up to examine the situation.
 
“YOU STUPID WENCH, CAN'T YOU EVEN SERVE US RIGHT?!” A man, obviously drunk, stands up and screams at the waitress from earlier and slaps her across the face. Today was definitely not her day. The broken bottle of sake was laid to waste as the treasured delicacy lied on the floor in a small puddle with broken bits of ceramic lay around it. The other waitresses stands off in a distance as she picks up the broken pieces with her hands and soak up the sake with a piece of cloth in her apron.
 
“I DEMAND YOU GET US ANOTHER BOTTLE! OR ELSE YOU'LL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE WRATH OF THE HIRUSEKI CLAN!” They ordered and threatened her as she scurries away, frightened at the loud and demanding voice of the men. Then they noticed all the stares and whispers from the other parties in the same restaurant, standing up with their heads peeked over the shoji barrier that separated their tables. The Hiruseki men growled.
 
“WHAT THE HELL ARE ALL YOU LOOKING AT?!” They yell as frightened people sat back down.
 
“Obviously at your ugly faces and what they're doing in a nice place like this.” A member of the Chaukra clan says arrogantly as he steps away from the table with his arms crossed and sending a wink at the waitresses. This angered the Hiruseki clan members even more.
 
“WHY DON'T YOU RUN BACK TO YOUR MASTER LIKE A SCARED MUTT?!” A member of the Hiruseki clan lashes out verbally at the Chaukra clan. This angered the Chaukra clan and all of its members stepped out and onto the middle of walkway in the room. The Hiruseki clan does the same. Tsuyu never got up in the first place, and continued casually sipping tea instead of sake this time. Sasuke was also casually sitting on his mat and politely sipping sake, ignoring the whole situation.
 
“OH YOU'RE TRYING TO START SOMETHING NOW?!” The Chaukra clan lashes back at them verbally.
 
“TOO LATE, YOU'RE GOING DOWN!” They yell as a rather large member of the Hiruseki clan charges for one of the Chaukra clan's weaker looking man. Unable to block or react, the weaker man was being thrust out of the restaurant by the larger member of the Hiruseki clan, straight thought the wooden wall next to Tsuyu. People in the restaurant fled in fear and the waitresses could do nothing to stop the fight that had just begun. The other 3 members of the Chaukra clan rush out to the aid of their fallen comrade while the other 2 members and the rather large member of the Hiruseki clan rush out after them. Tsuyu was still sitting casually on her mat, sipping her tea and sighing.
 
Sasuke was displeased at the rash decision his comrades had made. He sets his cup of sake down and sighs as he stands up. His head was showing faint signs of dizziness, but he was able to overcome it. He straps his katana and wakizashi pair to his obi and strolls over to where the huge hole was to properly address the situation.
 
Tsuyu sets her cup down as she senses a familiar ki approaching her direction. Sasuke walks pass the barrier separating the two tables and notices the same young girl he ran into the previous night, this time, all dressed up and tidied… nothing like the previous night where she was drenched with ran and carried two swords and wore a hakama.
 
“Oh it's you… the girl I met last night on my way home…” He starts as he takes a seat across the table from her. Tsuyu eyes him skeptically, as if expecting him to say more. It was now in the broad daylight was she able to fully observe his appearance. He had brown hair, long bangs, black eyes, medium/average height, somewhat scrawny, and had a rather kind and neat atmosphere… your average hot guy.
 
“It's hard to imagine a woman of your appearance being part of the Chaukra clan.”
 
Was that an insult? Tsuyu looks at him exasperatingly.
 
“Oh! Excuse me! I didn't mean it in a bad way! I was just implying that you were very appealing! I MEAN PRETTY! Very, very, pretty!!” He says as he puts up his arms in defense and smiling, trying to cover up his double mistakes.
 
“Thank you…” She says uneasily. He quickly tries to change the subject.
 
“I apologize for the rash behaviors of my comrades, they were drunk.” He says while rubbing the back of his head and trying to strike a conversation as he takes a peep through the hole to see what was going on. Apparently, everyone was knocked out cold on the ground, even the rather large man from his clan.
 
“Looks like our two clans can finally agree on something.” She says with a slight giggle. He giggles awkwardly along with her.
 
“Would you like some sake?” She asks him politely as she takes a bottle.
 
“Why sure, thank you Miss…” He pauses for a moment, wondering what her name was… or if she ever told him at all.
 
“Miss Tsuyu.” She finishes for him. Only using her first name for the sake of protection. She politely uses both of her hands to pour the sake elegantly onto an empty cup that was settled on the table. She then hands the cup across the table as Sasuke takes it politely from her hands… her soft and silky hands… very unlikely for a practitioner of swordsmanship. He blushes slightly after touching her hands slightly and taking the cup from her hands.
 
The moment their hands brushed off each other, it was like they were in another world. Another world where differences in clans were settled without violence… and a world where people could live in harmony. The moment they touched each other's hands, time seemed to have froze. The hatred and abhorrence between the Chaukra and Hiruseki clans vanished for that brief moment. Tsuyu blushed slightly as his hands brushed against hers while taking the cup of sake.
 
“Oh and my name is Sasuke Hiruseki by the way, nice to meet you!” He says smiling, trying to break that awkward moment, and hiding his blush.
 
“Sasuke… Hiruseki?” Tsuyu eyes him questioningly. He proceeds to explain.
 
“Yes, I'm the younger brother of Takahashi Hiruseki, the leader of the clan.” He says while taking another sip of sake from his cup. Tsuyu's eyes falter and avoided eye contact with him any further. She had a light smile on her face as she took a sip of her tea. Sasuke appears to be preparing to leave.
 
“I'm sorry, but I must leave now, it was very nice to meet you.” He says while getting up.
 
“Oh…” was the only words that escaped her mouth. She smiles at him.
 
“And don't worry about the wall, I'll take care of that.” He says reassuringly as he leaves. All Tsuyu could do was smile at him as he left.
 
After he was gone, she sighed and stared at the table in front of her, lost in thought.
 
Hiruseki… the sound of that name makes my blood fume.
But he was so… different…
He's so unlike the rest of his clan…
So calm and kind… nothing like the rest of his clan…
If only he wasn't a Hiruseki…
If only…
 
Tsuyu scoffs as she gets up, preparing to leave. She pays the waitresses for the food, and left them extra money for the wall and tip.
 
“I apologize for the trouble we've caused you. The food was delicious.” She says as she bows in respect. They smile and bow back in respect. She then turns around and heads back towards the Chaukra base alone, ignoring her comrades that laid on the ground unconscious and full of bruises.
 
`She was a Chaukra…' Sasuke thought to himself as he strolled back to his base without his comrades as well. It was getting late in the afternoon. The sun was starting to reach towards the opposite end of the sky. The wind blew in unison with his hair and his clothes rippled against the wind to create this angelic look. He was completely oblivious from the gazes and gawks of other women as he passed by them. He looked forward and had gone astray in his thoughts.
 
How can it be…
She was kind… and elegant… and polite…
So distinct from her clan…
If only she wasn't a Chaukra…
The hatred in my heart for them rages…
But I can't bring myself to hate… her…