Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Always There For Me ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Always There For Me - A RK K&K Romance Fic

Disclaimer: Rurouni Kenshin is the creation of Nobuhiro Watsuki, with the manga and anime rights belonging to Jump Comics and Sony Entertainment, respectively. I do not own and did not create the series or its characters...I'm just a fan, and I have no money anyways, so NO SUING ME!! :D

"Ok, Kaoru." He said as he went back to doing the laundry.

I almost jumped for joy!! A big grin spread across my face as I turned on my heel to head to the dojo. He called me just Kaoru. He called me just Kaoru. I kept repeating it over and over in my head. Well, how could I not, it's been like 2 years of trying to get him to take me to bed…err…I mean, admit that he's in love with moi, and finally I'm making some headway. "Aaaahhhhh…." I sighed to myself, today was going to be a great day. I could just feel it.

Chapter Two

I was deadly wrong. Today was going to be a horrible day!! First, Yahiko was being an even bigger pain in the rear end than usual, and more insulting also. I swear, the words this boy picks up from Sano are enough to turn people over in their graves…

However, breakfast, was even worst. Kenshin was acting strange the whole time we ate. He wouldn't even look at me!!! Plus we were back to Kaoru-dono, which almost completely doused all my earlier hope. Sano was there teaching Yahiko more terrible things to say, and to top it all off, Megumi had to show up. What a brat that girl is!! You would think she would know when to give up on Kenshin!! He's mine!! Of course not, as usual, she was draping herself all over my Kenshin. What made matters even worse was the news she brought…

"Kaoru-chan" she addressed me.

"Yes, Megumi-chan?" I asked. What horrible thing was she going to say to me today I wonder?

"You need to find a husband already!!" she stated rather push fully.

"NANI?!?!" Kenshin and I both said at the same time.

Shocked, everyone turned and looked at me and Kenshin.

I looked at Kenshin, shocked myself at his outburst…this was a good thing though. Kenshin looked surprised at himself for a second. One split second, if I wasn't so used to him hiding his emotions, I would have missed it myself…

Megumi had a satisfied smirk on her face…what was that all about?

Sano and Yahiko were doubled over with laughter in their chairs, holding on to each other so they wouldn't fall OUT of their chairs.

"I was just thinking that Kaoru-dono is still too young…you don't think so Megumi-dono?" Kenshin explained.

Oh great! That's just wonderful, so now the truth comes out. He still thinks of me as too young to get married!! Harumph…I'll show him. I'll show Megumi too.

"Well…" Megumi started, but I cut her off, this was me now, all me.

"Actually, come to think of it Megumi-chan, you are absolutely right!!" I grinned, and forced enthusiasm. "Sano, why don't you take me out to dinner or something tonight?"

Megumi gasped. Yahiko laughed even harder…

Sano stopped laughing and looked at me very seriously. Almost too seriously come to think of it.

Kenshin put his head down. This of course was not unnoticed by me…

Sano either. He looked at me and raised an eyebrow as if to ask me if I was really being serious, or if I was just messing with Kenshin and Megumi.

Megumi though was the first to say something.

"But…but…but" she sputtered.

"Do you have a problem with that Megumi-chan?" I asked her.

Sano turned to her, seeming especially interested in her answer.

"Well, I…I…I…" she continued to sputter. "He's too old for you Kaoru, that's all…I um, think you would be better off with someone younger."

"AGE doesn't matter MEGUMI!!" Sano and I both yelled back at her.

I stopped short…why was Sano so passionate about age?

Kenshin had lifted his head at that comment, seeming at least some what happy about something he had heard…but what?

"Look, Megumi, it's really nice that you care about Jo-chan's well being, and future and all, but forcing her into dating isn't too cool…besides…" he paused and looked at Kenshin "she might already have someone in mind."

Megumi, having not noticed Sano's glace at Kenshin began fuming. "Well fine then Sano, why don't you take her out tonight then!!" she started storming out of the house and off the grounds towards the road.

Sano got up and ran after her, yelling something like "Foxy, it's not like THAT!!!"

Yahiko fell on the floor laughing his head off. Kenshin laughed with him.

I started laughing myself…but stopped almost as soon as I had started. I still hadn't made any headway with Kenshin…if anything, I had taken a step back. He thinks I'm too young to get married. My face fell, dejectedly. Kami-sama, what am I going to do?

I turned on my heel to leave the room, wanting nothing more than to go cry my heart out in my room. I was almost out when Kenshin called to me…"Kaoru-dono?"

I stopped, and turned back to Kenshin and Yahiko.

"Hai, Kenshin?" I asked.

"Daijoubu?" he inquired.

"Daijoubu…Kenshin…" I said sadly. I turned to go to my room again, and started walking down the hallway.

Kenshin was by my side in a flash.

"Kaoru-dono…do you really want to start looking for a husband?" he asked me quietly.

I stopped. What should I tell him? 'I'm not looking for a husband, I want to marry you, you baka Kenshin!!' …but what should I really say? I don't know…

Kenshin patiently waited for my reply.

Finally I said, "Well,…I do want to be married eventually…and I am getting older, I only have a couple more years before I'll be too old I suppose…"

Kenshin's face showed no emotion what so ever.

I was hurting…"I'm not really sure Kenshin, what do you think?" I asked. Did I just say what I think I just said? BAKA!! Do I really want to hear his answer?

Kenshin looked caught off guard for a moment, as if he wasn't expecting me to ask him that.

"Kaoru-dono, I just want you to be happy." He replied.

I lowered my eyes, trying to hide my disappointment in his answer. What am I supposed to say to that?

"I'm not feeling very good Kenshin, I'm going to go to my room ok?" I said as I started walking, half running to my room.

I closed the door to my room and laid on my futon, and cried myself to sleep.