Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Back To The Start ❯ More Of The Grand Plan ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Back To The Start
 
Chapter 15: More Of The Grand Plan
 
Kana had come up and witnessed the heartbreaking scene with a satisfied smirk on her face. But, she and Hatori stood there in confusion when Kenshin and Kaoru both fled.
 
“Kana. Do you really suppose that this was the right thing to do?”
 
“I-I'm not sure. But, I'm going to Kenshin. You should go to Kaoru, too.”
 
“Okay, but what do I say? Oh, I'm sorry that we ruined your relationship with our plan, Kaoru,” Hatori said half-mockingly.
 
“Iie. Comfort her and then, ask her out. Akabeko. Tomorrow at seven, got me?”
 
“Hai,” Hatori replied. “But if I may ask, why does she have to go on a date with me?”
 
“Cuz!” Kana growled. “Now go!”
 
“Hai, hai. Going.”
 
“Good!” Kana quickly scurried toward Kenshin's chambers, and with a sigh, Hatori walked toward Kaoru's.
 
Kana knocked on Kenshin's shoji and Kenshin perked up inside. `Could it be Kaoru?' Kenshin pondered, turning the ring he'd given her over in his hands sadly.
 
“Kenshin? May I come in?” Kana inquired softly. From the other side of the shoji, Kenshin immediately slumped back down upon hearing Kana's voice and called back dejectedly, “Hai. Please enter.” Then he muttered darkly under his breath, “At your own risk.”
 
Kana gently slid open his door and stepped inside. “Kenshin. Are you alright? I'm so sorry about your breakup. I can't believe she did that to you. I think she broke the engagement because of that other guy. I'm so sorry. I never should have told you. If she wasn't big of a person enough to tell you, then maybe she never intended to let it get out of hand. You would have been better not knowing,” Kana decided to mask her true intentions. Inside, she was ecstatic. Kana spoke while lowering her eyes demurely and batting her eyelashes in a way that seemed attractive to her. But for all her efforts, the distant gaze of Kenshin's face remained.
 
“Iie, Kana-dono. This one is glad you told him. If Kaoru and this one can't be honest with each other, then… perhaps we are better off this way,” Kenshin struggled to say.
 
Kana caught the anguish in his voice and instantly felt horrible. She knew what she would do to cheer him up. “Hey, Kenshin. Would you like to have dinner with me tomorrow night at seven o'clock at the Akabeko?”
 
“Sure,” Kenshin responded mechanically, barely knowing what he was responding to.
 
“Great, see you then.” Kana stood and walked out smiling.
 
Hatori was in the same situation. He'd walked over to Kaoru's room and knocked, calling out, “Kaoru-san? May I come in?”
 
Kaoru sobbed in response, “Please, go away, leave me alone.”
 
Hatori knew that she was heartbroken. He felt so terrible to have done this to her. He had to do something. So, against Kaoru's wishes, Hatori entered.
 
“Hatori-san, please. Just go.”
 
“Iie. You need cheering up. I'm here to help,” Hatori told her softly, while putting a comforting hand on her arm. Kaoru merely kept crying, but she did not shrug the hand off.
 
“Would you like me to close the door?” Hatori asked gently.
 
“H-Hai.” The last thing she wanted was for Kenshin to see her like this. So Hatori closed the shoji and Kaoru drew in a shaky breath.
 
“Hatori-san, how could he do this to me? If he fell in love with someone else, all he had to do was tell me! I would have let him go! I would have been hard, but I would have done it! I love him! I thought he loved me too!” Kaoru sobbed out.
 
Then, more quietly, she continued, “I fell for him when he started living here. I don't care that he's Hitokiri Battousai, and I still don't. I loved him so much. He was my first love. I always knew that he cared about me, more than the others. He risked his life for me and his heart was in it more so than the others, but I thought that he liked me like a sister. I was overjoyed when he told me he loved me. I thought he would always love me like he promised. I really thought he would never leave me. But, now look at us. He doesn't love me and our relationship is back to the start. Hoping he would return my feelings.”
 
Hatori now truly knew what regret was. He truly regretted what he did. Kaoru was miserable and Kenshin probably wasn't much better.
 
“I'm sorry,” Hatori whispered. Kaoru appeared not to have heard him.
 
“Kaoru-san, I know this is sudden, but… will you have dinner with me tomorrow night at 7 at the Akabeko?”
 
“Whatever you say,” Kaoru replied lightlessly.
 
“Alright, see you there then.” Hatori now felt even worse at taking advantage of Kaoru.
 
 
Kana met Hatori outside with a bright smile on her face.
 
“I'm happy for you,” Hatori merely commented holding up his hand to halt her words. Kana frowned. “But, this was wrong. After this date, I'm telling Kaoru the truth. I don't care what you do. But, I would like to know, who will he believe? You or Kaoru? Say no more. I'm leaving,” Hatori turned and left.
 
Kana only stood in place with a hurt expression on her face. As she watched Hatori's retreating form, she whispered, “Hatori.” Upon saying that, her heart began to beat faster.
 
Author's Notes: Hello, everyone! Done with another chapter now. Kana is still the girl that wants to break up Kenshin and Kaoru. But, now Kana starts to see Hatori in a new way. Also, the sequel to I Can't Forget Him is now in progress, and should be up soon. I'm also in the process of writing a Harry Potter story. This fic will be finished before August 31st, because I'm going back to school then and won't have much time to type. So this fic will be ending soon. Ta Ta!