Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Back To The Start ❯ Shocking Breakup! ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Back To The Start
 
Chapter 14: Shocking Breakup!
 
“Hi everybody!” Kana called out cheerily as she walked in the dojo gates.
 
“Okaeri nasai, Kana-kun!” Kaoru answered, poking her head out of the dojo.
 
“Tadaima,” Kana answered warmly for the first time to Kaoru. Kaoru merely smiled back and went back to her training.
 
“Now, Hatori. Are you ready to put our plan into action?” Kana hissed, grabbing Hatori's gi by the collar and yanking him to her, while glaring daggers at the dojo door.
 
“H-hai, demo…” Hatori trailed off insecurely.
 
“What now?” Kana snapped angrily, yanking his gi again in the process.
 
“Well, Kana. It's just, this doesn't seem right. Should we be doing this? It seems so dishonorable,” Hatori insisted, still hoping to change Kana's stubborn mind.
 
“Hai! Now go do your part!” Kana retorted, adding a shove in the right direction.
 
“Hai, hai,” Hatori quickly agreed, backing away, smoothing down his gi.
 
“Wait,” Kana commanded, stopping Hatori in his tracks. “Where's Kenshin anyway?”
 
“I think he's on his way out for tofu.”
 
“Okay, thanks, Hatori.”
 
“Mm.” `She has a one-track mind.'
 
Hurt flashed through Kana's eyes as Hatori brushed her off so easily. She was surprised that she should feel this way, but pushed it to the back of her thoughts to concentrate on the task at hand. So, she turned to find Kenshin walking toward the gate.
 
“Kenshin!” Kana called out eagerly.
 
“Kana-dono, hello. Is anything the matter?” Kenshin inquired, seeing that she was out of breath, and the (false) distressed look in her eyes.
 
“Oh, Kenshin! My poor, poor Kenshin! How could she do this to you!” Kana cried, bursting into tears.
 
“Kana-dono! Kana-dono!” Kenshin exclaimed frantically. “What ever has upset you so?”
 
“You mean you don't know?!” Kana mock whispered in fake wide-eyed bewilderment, her eyes still shining with unshed tears.
 
“Know what?” Kenshin asked, now thoroughly confused.
 
“Kaoru's been cheating on you!” Kana said, and burst into renewed sobs, leaving Kenshin to stare at her, completely aghast, with eyes full of hurt, bewilderment, shock, and betrayal. For the first time in his life, he was unable to mask his true feelings.
 
“Oh, Kenshin, I'm so sorry! I so hate to be the bearer of bad news! Iie, I must go. Please forgive me for being the one to break it to you!” Kana cried, getting ready to flee in fake distress.
 
“Iie, Kana-dono. Don't go.” Kana stared at Kenshin, and her eyes were full of hope beneath her false tears. She hoped now, that he would ask her out, or sought comfort in her embrace.
 
“Who is he?” Kenshin asked plainly.
 
The sparkle in Kana's eyes died in disappointment, but she replied flatly, “I don't know. But, I can tell you what he's like, if you'd fancy hearing it.”
 
“Hai, please do.”
 
“He's tall, dark-haired, young, and a normal guy without a bloody past.” Kenshin realized that this guy was everything he wasn't and would never be.
 
“Thank you for telling this one, Kana-dono.”
 
Kana watched Kenshin turn away and walk up to his room. Now, Kana felt a little guilty because she saw the way Kenshin reacted. The light completely left his eyes and his face went slack without emotion. But, the hurt in his eyes was what she saw most of all. Now more than ever, Hatori's words came back to her, “What will you tell Kenshin when he finds out? Will he still be happy knowing this?”
 
Kana sighed and thought, `Hatori was right, but what's done is done.'
 
 
Meanwhile, Hatori found Kaoru and started his part.
 
“Hello, Kaoru-san. I just wanted to see how you were,” Hatori started, rather surprised at how convincing, confident, and apologetic he sounded.
 
“How I am? Well, I'm just fine. Why would I be any different, Hatori-san?” Kaoru asked in surprise.
 
“Kuso!” he cursed. “That jerk! I can't believe he's gonna just go along pretending nothing's wrong!” Hatori muttered half under his breath for Kaoru to hear. He immediately felt guilty for his actions. For the woman he loved, he would sink so low, wonderful.
 
“Hatori-san. What are you talking about?” Kaoru asked in a panic.
 
“Oh, just that your baka yarou fiancée is cheating on you!”
 
“What?!” Kaoru gasped in disbelief. “Iie! I won't believe it!”
 
“Yup. It's true,” Hatori sneered.
 
“What's she like?” Kaoru finally quieted down enough to ask.
 
“She's pretty, a brunette, got jade green eyes, calm, non-violent, and lady-like.”
 
Kaoru remained silent, mulling over Hatori's words and realizing she was everything she wasn't and could never become. Kaoru choked back tears and got up to talk to Kenshin. Hatori felt awful for doing this and followed her out the door.
 
 
Kenshin had changed course, and was heading towards Kaoru. The two met up in the middle of the yard and looked at each other.
 
Finally, they both said simultaneously, “I want to break the engagement.”
 
The two wordlessly nodded and Kaoru slid her ring off her finger and handed it back to Kenshin.
 
Finally, Kaoru turned away and ran back to her room. When she got there, she flung open the door, threw herself inside, slammed the door shut, and collapsed on top of the futon, breaking down into tears. Kenshin likewise, fled to the confinement of his room and began to brood, letting the tears slid down his face. They'd both lost the one they loved, what was left?
 
 
Author's Notes: Back for the 14th chapter! On vacation on a cruise the last week, so now here I am with the next chapter of my fic. I chose this way of breaking up because I know that Kenshin and Kaoru never really deemed themselves worthy of each other. They've always had their doubts about the relationship, so I had Hatori and Kana voice them as the person that they are cheating on with, if that makes sense. I hope you guys liked this chapter, and I mean it this time, not that I didn't mean it the other times, but I'm just not sure if the way I broke up the ever popular and loved couple will be liked. I know there are people out there who will disapprove heartily, but I hope that if you are one of those people, you won't hate me and will read on. I don't forbid flames, so if you must, flame, but to make things clear, flames are not welcome. Thanks for reading! Til next chappie!