Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Black Shadow, Piercing Light ❯ Talking ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Rurouni Kenshin belongs to Watsuki and sony and other people, not me.

*prison guard Sano belongs to Fatal Love

O.K here's Chapter Three!

First of all I wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful reviews! I apologize for the spelling errors, I've fixed them. Now I feel nervous and encouraged at the same time. Anyway, would you guys like me to respond to your reviews? I like it when people respond to mine, but I don't want to waste space. Let me know if you guys like it like this.

Susan: You are so funny! All that stuff will be in this fic, except this fic will be pretty angsty at times so the WAFF will be more like bittersweet romance, but there will be plenty K/K action.

SAGE: The reasons for Kenshin's imprisonment will be revealed in this chap and more later on

Bumblebee-Queen: Yes Aoshi and Misao will be in this fic, but not until later on.

Jason M. Lee: I do think it was extreme, but remember how Kenshin maimed Gohei in the first episode of the anime? I wanted to adapt his injury to the present, and since Gohei doesn't use a sword in prison I figured he shouldn't be able to punch either.

Gypsy-chan: Kaoru and Megumi should be explained in this chapter and the next.

***Note: I don't really know about crime and punishment in Japan, so forgive if I made mistakes, shoot me a line if there's something you think I should know.

********************************************************* *********************************

Chapter Three

Talking

Kenshin stared blankly at the black iron bars of his cell. The clanging of batons against metal and men shouting out their identification numbers could be heard as the guards walked up and down the cells. Roll call had been increased, and security tightened ever since the riot two days ago. All visitations would take place behind glass, with the use of a two-way phone. Three prisoners had died and several were injured. Many more had received revoked privileges, increased labour or solitary confinement because of various actions. Kenshin wasn't surprised that the man hadn't come down on him…yet. This wasn't the first time something like this had happened, but because of his notorious reputation he had many of the guards and prisoners scared stiff. Various brawls he had been in were often overlooked and went unreported. It was widely rumoured that Kenshin had never lost a fight, and those who had challenged him on the outside were all dead. As for his time in prison he didn't leave as many dead as he left premanelty disfigured or maimed, which could be even worse when one was locked up with some of the most dangerous men in Japan. In here, men took full advantage of every weakness. Most of the men perfered to stay off Kenshin's bad side, but being known as the strongest came with fear and fury. Kenshin knew as well as the rest of his fellow inmates that the fastest way to a powerful and respected name in prison and on the outside was through stealing the title of another. Kenshin sighed as he was reminded once again, that as long as he was know as the strongest, both in here and in the streets, the list of people going for his head would be inexhaustible.

'But nobody's getting me without a fight.' Kenshin thought through clenched teeth.

'Stop…there it goes again…fight it down.' He thought as he closed his eyes, trying to center himself once again.

The sudden realization that in less than two weeks he would be released to the world again, only to be greeted by countless enemies created an uneasy fear inside of Kenshin.

His fear was not of those who would attack him, Kenshin was more afraid of himself. Afraid of what he would do when he stepped outside.

'The next time I fight, I should just sacrifice myself. One less killer on the streets, my blood for theirs.'

But Kenshin knew that he would never do this. While in prison Kenshin had developed a strange will to stay alive. He knew it had something to do with his promise to Tomoe. The will was there, but it was weak and incomplete. Sometimes he thought it was mere pride, the reason he refused to go down.

Kenshin sighed and began to pace back in forth, his eyes darting from the gray walls, to the black metal bars that locked him in, to the tiny window that allowed the yellow warmth to peer into his cell. He knew for a fact that word was out on the streets that his term was up. Megumi had warned him. Relatives of his victims were probably talking.

Kenshin had been going through an emotional whirlpool for months now over this. What would he do if he were challenged by some widow? Some fatherless child?

'So many people will be happy when I am dead. I would gladly give this burden of my name away. Himura Kenshin…' Kenshin winced a little at the thought of his name. Hanging his head, he jerked his head to the side as if trying to shake the thought of himself out of his head.

'It's no use. You can't escape yourself. I am. But what am I?'

'Who is this man? What is-'

"Himura!"

Kenshin snapped his head up and stared into the eyes of a tall lanky guard, with hair the color of sunshine…sticking up and out like a shaggy broom.

"State your number, ahou-san!

Kenshin looked down at his feet.

Silence.

"I hope you didn't here me!" Chou reached through the bars and jerked Kenshin up by the collar.

"Because if you did-"

"Oi."

Chou jerked his head around.

Kenshin heard a soft clang on the lower bars as he looked down and discovered a fishbone at his feet.

"You got a problem with him broom-head, you take it through me." Sano drawled, hands in his pockets. Chou smirked as he dropped Kenshin, turning to face his fellow guard.

"And what's she to you?"

Sano smirked, biting back the urge to snap the fool's neck. He cracked his knuckles, then pounded them into the wall, causing it to crack.

"Sano, you should not fight. That you should not." Kenshin replied quietly. He would hate for Sano to loose his job over something so small.

"Humph." Sano turned back to Chou. "I was just wondering if you could tell me more about how those three prisons that died of sword wounds." Sano said, as he eyed Chou's baton. It was a well-kept secret that Chou carried a short sword hidden in his baton. The few guards who knew really didn't care if some unlucky prisoners met its tip. However, those in power like the warden wouldn't smile on it, for guards who carried swords were probably a little too blood thirsty and might do better lining up with the prisoners they supposedly kept watch over.

Chou didn't miss Sano's look.

"You're lucky Battousai." Chou said with a wicked smirk as he walked off, continuing the roll call.

Sano noticed the smug look on Chou's face. 'Broom head, you really should be thanking Kenshin, that coulda been your head.'

Sano glanced over to Kenshin who still had his head down.

"Hey! You alright?"

"Aa." Kenshin looked up with a pleasant smile. He continued smiling at Sano as he cocked his head to the side, his eyes blissfully closed.

"Chi, I hate it when you mood swing like that." Sano said as he walked away. "And wipe that stupid grin off your face, it's damn scary."

'Baka! Baka! Baka!'

Kaoru straightened her snugly fitting navy blue turtleneck over her dark blue flare jeans. The young girl looked at her reflection in the bathroom mirror.

'Why are you doing this? Kamiya your life is already too warped for your own good. Don't mess it up even more. Don't involve yourself. You don't have to go there.'

Kaoru rubbed her arm nervously as she stared at her worried expression in the mirror, at the thought of what she was about to do. She wished she had someone to talk to, someone to ask for advice. But her list of friends was currently just a few over zero. Her health and home economics teacher Tae, Dr. Genzai and Megumi pushing the list up to three. They were all wonderful people. But they just wouldn't understand. She didn't even understand.

'Why?'

'Why are going to see him?'

Kaoru swallowed. Somehow she needed to see him. Ever since that day at the prison she couldn't get him out of her mind.

Strengthening her resolve, Kaoru grabbed her book bag and forced herself to walk out the bathroom door.

"Kaoru-chan!"

Kaoru stopped in her tracks, her heart sinking as she recognized the chipper voice of Sekihara Tae. Normally she was happy to hear the voice of the woman who had made it her goal in life to look after the now orphaned eighteen year old. But not today, not when she was steadfastly heading for the back exit. Obviously intent on leaving the building before dismissal.

"Yes?" Kaoru said as she turned to face her teacher.

"Where are you going Kaoru chan? It's only three o'clock. Do you have an appointment?"

"Yes."

'It's true; it's not a lie. I do have an appointment.' Kaoru thought as she cast her eyes to the ground, a goofy smile plastered on her face.

"Mou! Kaoru-chan you are such a bad liar." Tae said as she placed an arm around Kaoru's shoulder. "What's really going on?"

"No Tae, it's true I really do have an appointment. In fact, I'll be late if I don't leave right now!" Kaoru blurted out.

'It's true, I will be late.' Kaoru squirmed.

"Are you going to see a boy?" Tae asked, a mischievous grim growing on her face.

"No!" Kaoru squeaked as she blushed. 'It's true. Kenshin is hardly what I would call a boy and I'm not going to SEE him anyway.' She blushed even deeper

"Hmm, Kaoru-chan I wish you would tell me what you're really up to. I could get into serious trouble if anybody finds out I'm letting you skip. The students already think I favor you."

Kaoru suddenly felt really bad, and stupid and devious all at the same time. Tae obviously gave Kaoru extra attention, but most people overlooked it because they knew how hard Kaoru's life had been. Most thought she deserved a helping hand. But of course there were always the jealous types. She felt bad for taking advantage. But she had come too far to turn back now.

"Tae-san please…It's important. I'll be helping someone."

Tae looked down at the pleading expression of the young girl and felt her defenses weakening.

"Just promise me it's nothing dangerous." Tae knew Kaoru had a reckless side.

"I promise, it's nothing dangerous."

Tae smiled a little and nodded her head giving the girl consent. Kaoru turned quickly and walked out the door with her head down.

'Was that a lie? Going to a prison shouldn't be dangerous.' Kaoru thought as she walked swiftly to her small car, and slipped inside.

'Idiot raccoon! You sound stupid! Have you forgotten what just happened a few days ago? Tae would never agree if she really knew what happened.'

Kaoru stopped herself, as she was about to turn the ignition.

'Don't do it. That man is dangerous; you saw it in his eyes. No! I'm not afraid of him. He protected me. From what Megumi told me, he just needs someone to talk to.

Kaoru briefly remembered her conversation with Megumi the other night about her mysterious friend Kenshin.

****memory****

It had been a few hours since Kaoru and Megumi had returned from the prison. The entire ride home had been silent. Megumi had retreated to her room in the basement, saying she had to study. Kaoru wasn't in the mood to talk either, after her ordeal, she just wanted to pray and then sleep away any lingering pain.

After praying Kaoru felt more peace so she went downstairs to talk to Megumi. Kaoru giggled as she noticed the attractive med-school student had fallen asleep over her books. Her mouth was open and a little drool stained the open book.

After calling her a few times the doctor in training shook herself awake.

"What's up tanuki-chan?" Megumi figured Kaoru would come calling tonight. She decided to take it easy on her. She knew she was truly lucky to have found Kaoru while helping out at Dr. Genzai's clinic. At the time she was a struggling, homeless student, barely making ends meet. Graduate school was extremely expensive and she had just been kicked out of the dorms, unable to pay rent. Kaoru had graciously opened her home to her and for that she was grateful. She was almost regretful that she would be moving out soon, she almost wanted to stay, despite her new scholarship.

"I just um…um…"

"You want to know about Ken-san?"

"Yeah"

Megumi sighed as the memory of Kenshin brought back her own painful memories of her time under a drug dealer's heel.

"Ken-san is the sweetest, kindest man I know. He's had a hard life, and all I can say is that he does what he thinks is right, even if society disagrees." With that Megumi turned back to her books.

Kaoru sat staring at Megumi, hoping if she stared hard enough, she would continue. Megumi looked at her, hoping the girl would just drop it.

"I don't know much Kaoru, if you want details you better ask him yourself."

"But, I just want to know what he did to end up in prison."

"Ken-san doesn't tell me anything." Oh how I wish you would Kenshin. But I know it's too hard for you, and impossible for me.

"But I think he needs to talk about it with someone. I rarely see Kenshin, he doesn't take well to visitors and I know he doesn't talk to that fool Sano."

"Why doesn't he like visitors?"

Megumi was quiet. "So will you do it?"

"Huh?"

"Idiot. Will you go see him?" Megumi hadn't missed the way Kenshin looked at Kaoru; maybe the raccoon's stupid smile would brighten his day.

"I don't know. Maybe."

****end memory****

'Maybe.'

'Still, Don't do it, you've got enemies in that prison.'

Kaoru swallowed hard as she remembered her violent encounter with Gohei. She was too young to have enemies. But thanks to her name she had enough. Closing her eyes, Kaoru let her head fall to the steering wheel.

'Kamiya what are you doing?'

Never being the type to back down, always lead by her passions, the young girl started the engine and began driving in the direction of the City of Tokyo Maximum Security Correctional Facility.

Kenshin grunted as he finished his bench presses and let his spotter take the heavy weight out his hands and place it back on the bar. Sitting up, he wiped his sweaty face with a ragged white towel before getting up and allowing another man to use the bench press.

'I have a visitor.' Kenshin thought as he absently continued to wipe the sweat off his bare chest, walking to the place were he would be chained and escorted to the visiting area.

'Who could it be? Maybe it's her. Don't kid yourself. You scared the hell out of her the other day. She won't be back. For anybody else, I'm just not in the mood.'

The guards sat Kenshin down in a little cubicle equipped with a telephone.

'Good.' He thought as he eyed tested the thickness of the glass that separated prisoner from visitor. The glass was a few inches thick. He knew it was paranoid, but Kenshin wanted to be sure that there was no chance that he would hurt whomever came to provoke him today.

Kenshin closed his eyes and rested his head against the small cubicle wall, trying to let sleep take him. Noticing his hair was still damp with sweat Kenshin reached up and pulled out the rubber band that held it, shaking it loose, hoping for it to dry faster.

Kaoru sat nervously across from Kenshin; she had been there for a while now. She was slightly disappointed that there was a barrier between them. 'What would you do anyway? Touch him?' She had been trying to talk to him for a while, but he wasn't answering.

Kaoru gasped slightly as Kenshin undid his hair, his waist length tresses falling freely around his shoulders as he shook it out. 'I can't believe he just did that. If it weren't for that scar he'd be beautiful…but with it, he's just down right sexy. Is he sleep? I'll fix that.' Kaoru thought, an annoyed expression growing on her face.

Normally he would never let his hair down, lest he draw some unwanted attention. But not today. Today he didn't care. He just wasn't in the mood. The emotional hurricane he had been experiencing all day had given him a headache and now he was tired. If somebody was crazy enough to bother him he'd-

:::BANG-BANG:::

Kenshin's eyes popped open. Whoever was banging that loudly on the thick glass must have a fairly tough fist.

It was her.

Not only was she banging on the glass she was also yelling something into the phone at him. With a smirk Kenshin picked up the phone as he fixed his gaze on Kaoru.

"Good afternoon."

"Go-Good afternoon."

"The glass is sound proof you know. So I'm afraid you'll have to curse me out again through the phone so I can hear you."

"Oh, well that explains a few things." Kenshin noticed her embarrassment, her cheeks lightly staining pink. Her natural blush was beautiful. Kenshin smiled admiring her for a while.

"H-How have you been?" Kaoru squeaked

Kenshin looked at her wondering, if he should answer that question. Deciding against it. He continued to study her face intently.

"Why are you here?" Kenshin stated abruptly

"What?"

Kenshin just continued to stare at her, his violet gaze boring into her eyes.

'He's doing it again! Looking at me so…so hard. What does he see?'

"Why are you here?"

Kaoru began to breath a little harder as she struggled to hold his gaze. This nervousness just wouldn't do. So Kaoru did what she always did when nervous, confused or afraid: She took bold, commanding action, seeking to regain control over the situation.

"I'll ask you the same thing. What are you doing here?"

Kenshin smirked and cocked an eyebrow. 'Spicy.'

"Isn't it obvious? I'm doing time."

Kaoru muttered a few things under her breath.

"No you idiot! I want to know how you got in here!"

"Oro!"

Kenshin was truly surprised and a little afraid. The thought of telling this girl why he was in prison frightened him. He never talked about his past to anyone. Most of the time his name spoke for itself. But she was too young to remember when the Noturious Affliction went under and too innocent to know the name Battousai.

He would not tell her. This precious creature, this fierce little angel had come to see him. Her question revealed that she really did care about him. He had suspected that she cared when she stopped him from fighting Gohei with the gentle touch of her hand and the softness of her voice, but now that she was here, his suspicions were confirmed. He didn't know why she would be concerned about a stranger, especially a stranger like him.

He had to keep her. He wanted this small ray of light that was Kamiya Kaoru, in his otherwise desolate world.

Kenshin looked up at Kaoru, studying her once again as she blinked her wide blue eyes, expecting an answer. He noticed her hair was swept neatly in a high ponytail, a thin, graceful ribbon holding her thick, black mane in place. Her purple book bag sat next to her on the floor, adorned with various patches and stickers sporting the names of her favorite bands. Her clothes were inexpensive, yet complimenting and stylish, evidence of her modesty and good taste.

'What are you thinking? She is right now, skipping school, disobeying her parents to see you. When she leaves she'll go back to plush home in a quiet town. But oh, how she radiated love and sweetness. He could see it in her eyes now as she began to tense with worry.

'These are exactly the reasons you need to let her go. Stop this now, before it even starts.'

"Kenshin…" Kaoru breathed, she felt worried that she had offended him in some way.

'It's none of your business. You shouldn't have asked.' she thought, regret filling her.

"Murder."

Kenshin noticed the surprised look in her eyes, not a hint of repulsion. That wasn't good enough. He needed her to hate him.

"I'm in for a triple murder…in the first degree."

Kaoru was stunned to say the least. Once he said murder, she knew it had to have been self-defense, but his last sentence shattered those hopes.

"Demo…" Kaoru whispered more to herself than anyone else.

"This is among other things." Kenshin said as he dropped his head in shame. 'Now if she ever thinks of you, she will think of blood and death. I should have gotten the death penalty I should not even be alive to speak to her. It is better this way.' Kenshin blinked several times. He wasn't prepared for the way his heart constricted at the thought of his crimes. He often thought of his past crimes, but today, in front of this innocent girl, something had broken. Was it the fact that he suddenly felt incredibly dirty and vile? He always knew he was a monster, but in prison he had only been surrounded with men like him.

"But, when I look into your eyes, this is not what I see! You're friends with Megumi. You protected me!" Kaoru blurted out in one rushed breath

Kaoru gasped as she noticed a single tear slide down his cheek.

"Oh Kenshin!" Kaoru gasped. She had never meant to make him cry.

Kenshin hated the desperate sound of her voice laden with compassion. He snatched his head up and looked her firmly in the eye, his expression hard.

"You don't know what you see. If you did you would walk out that door and never look back."

'He's hiding…I can see that now. Father…I'll help him, just as you would do.' "I don't walk away when I see someone in pain." Kaoru replied calmly

Kenshin slammed his fists onto the thick glass. "Everybody I've ever cared about is dead! Unless you want to end up like them you'll stay away from me." Kenshin boomed into the phone, keeping his eyes away from hers.

Kenshin took a few deep breaths to compose himself. He wanted to bolt right then, but he didn't want any fights and he knew going back to his cell with his hair down and tears in his eyes was practically begging for it.

"I'm so sorry."

Kenshin froze as he tied his hair back into a low ponytail.

"What?"

"I'm so sorry, that I caused you this pain. It's none of my business. I should not have asked."

Kenshin glanced at Kaoru. Her head was down and Kenshin could tell she was crying. Suddenly he didn't know what to do. Making her cry was never in his plan.

Slowly Kaoru looked up and met his gaze. Her eyes were fierce and determined.

"But that doesn't mean I'm leaving you. I know what it's like to loose everyone you love. To have no one to take care of you. I know what it's like to be all alone in a crowd of people. I don't pretend to understand all of your pain, but I will listen, if you would like some release, I am will be here."

Kenshin just stared at her too shocked to think straight, let alone say anything. Her face was set, her jaw tight. He had never expected to hear words like that from anyone again. While in prison he thought he'd learned to live without love, he took care of himself. And yet this girl, this young woman that he hardly knew had just offered to share his pain, an open heart for his burden.

"I…I-"

Before Kenshin could respond, the guard stepped up behind him, clapping a cold hand on his shoulder.

"Time's up."

Kenshin got open slowly, the phone still to his ear. He was afraid that she would go home and think about what she said and never come back. He looked at her, both wishing that she would stay and hoping she would forget they ever met.

"Don't worry Kenshin…I'll surely come again." Kaoru said as she hung up the phone, gathered her things and walked out the door.

End of chapter three

So another chapter!

What did you think? Did you love it? Did you hate it? Review! Let me know what you think and suggestions you might have!