Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Hell's Conquest ❯ First Blood ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hell's Conquest

Ch.2

First Blood

At this sentence Shishio couldn't help but laugh.

"I was wondering where the fool had gotten to! I had figured it was too quiet around here!"

"How dare you mock the great Usui!!! U will pay for that you unworthy heathen!" cried the gold-haired demon, rushing at him with a large thick blade of rusted metal.

Shishio smirked and went in2 battle. It was over…20 seconds later with both demons trying to put out their flaming clothes. The blue-haired demon was able to escape while the other was not so lucky. Shishio used the hilt of his katana to strike a certain spot on the demon's back to temporarily paralyze him. The demon lay on the ground, defenseless and quivering.

"Now tell me. Where is Usui? If you tell me, I'll tell you something about myself that you might wish to know." Shishio offered, looking down at the frightened demon.

"I'll never tell you or anyone! I will always defend my mas-…" and before he could finish, Shishio stabbed his sword downward through the demon's stomach.

"I told you to tell me. Very well. Die then. But I'll tell you what I was going to anyways because I think you should know. Do you know how Usui went blind?" Shishio asked. The demon shook his head, still afraid. The demon's eyes widened as Shishio's sword once again caught fire.

"I burned his eyes from his head. HAA!!!!" Yumi watched as Shishio's sword engulfed the demon's dying body in flames.

"I can't believe you killed that demon! That was incredible Lord Shishio! If we keep up this pace we'll be able to take over this place in no time at all!" Houji praised, ecstatic as usual.

But Shishio wasn't listening. Suddenly he realized his temperature had risen slightly. This seemed all too familiar. "What? No! This can't…I'm dead! I'm supposed to not have to…I'm still…burning." He thought, feeling his old fever return. How would he tell Houji? No. How would he tell Yumi? He wouldn't. Not now. She's got enough to worry about. But even though he said nothing, Yumi could sense his mind was preoccupied.

"So now where do we go? Lord Shishio?" Yumi asked, wishing he hadn't suddenly become so gloomy.

"That one demon survived so I suppose more will come unless…unless Usui is truly controlling them. If that is the case, I doubt he would be stupid enough to come after me."

"So where will we go?" Yumi asked.

"We'll stay here for a day or so until I can determine how strong the demons are here. After that, we can go on to the castle. Would you agree my dear?" Shishio asked, his gloved hand gently stroking her cheek.

She smiled, hugging him tightly, her face pressed against his warm chest.

"Ahem." Houji interrupted.

The couple turned to face him, annoyed slightly.

"Where will we stay tonight? It's not like we would sleep on the grass!" Houji laughed uneasily, looking around for any buildings worthy of his master.

"Why not?" Shishio suggested.

Houji choked.

"What was that sir? You…are being serious?" he stammered.

"If we stayed anywhere else, it would alert more potential enemies to our position. We sleep outside." Shishio insisted.

"Ah…yes sir." Houji agreed reluctantly.

"But we still have a lot to do before then right?" Yumi asked, concerned.

"Huh? Yes. Of course." Shishio said, though he was still worried about his condition.

Could he die again of burning? The pain of burning was still etched into his memory. Though the first time the flames had burned through his flesh and cost him his body, the second…Shishio longingly gazed at Yumi. She had died, freely given her life so that he could live…to no avail. If there was any small weakness in his heart, Yumi definitely was it. Out of all the Juppon Gatana, Yumi Komagata had given the most…only to end her days in tragedy. And he loved her. He smirked. Though…it had been fun making her jealous of Kamatari. Speaking of which…

"Hmm…I'm surprised we haven't seen anything of Kamatari down here." Shishio spoke up so Yumi could hear.

"I doubt that cross-dresser would end its life for you." she scoffed.

"Well I don't know about that. He's really very loyal." he mused.

Yumi was about to speak before Houji blurted out that Shishio still had to speak to the villagers about what they knew. Yumi looked around for villagers, but they had all gone.

"Fine. If they're hiding," and his sword caught fire. "I'll just have to burn down their hiding places." He threatened loudly.

Immediately after he'd spoken, a loud shuffling of feet could be heard from within a thatch roof hut. Shishio turned to watch as a small, stocky man ran from the house and threw himself at Shishio's feet.

"Please don't hurt me sir! The great Usui has given us all orders to find a man in bandages and bring him to the his feet…but now that I've seen your strength…I doubt any common villagers like us could take down someone meant for Lord Usui!" the man stammered in fear of Shishio.

"So…what do you plan to do about me anyways?" Shishio asked, crossing his arms impatiently.

"Well…we don't know. But could I ask you how you know the great Usui?" the man asked, peering unashamed at Shishio's bandages.

Shishio was about to answer when he noticed the man's curiosity.

"If you keep staring like that, I'll give you a reason to wear these." Shishio said coolly.

The man jumped back in alarm and pretended as if he wasn't doing a thing.

"Oh I'm sorry…I've just never seen someone with bandages on their entire body before." The man said, this time fixing his gaze on Shishio's still bloodstained sword.

"You know I feel rather honored to meet you. I didn't know they sent stupid people to hell. Or perhaps you were…a Meiji official?" Shishio asked, his eyes glaring red.

"Well…I was…for a while. I resigned after…that incident with Makoto Shishio…I was afraid for my life! I'm sure you must have heard of him. Survived being…burned…"

Shishio pointed at his head to show his burned skin patches around his eyes.

"It's you!!!! That's why Usui wanted you to die! Because you would go after innocent men like him!"

Yumi would have killed this man if she could have.

"Innocent! Why you don't truly know Usui like I-…"

Shishio held a hand out to her to silence her outburst.

"Oh and I do believe I've heard of you! You're Yumi Komagata the Night Witch! A prostitute at 15!" the businessman laughed, saddening Yumi's expression.

"And now that you know who we are, who are you?" Shishio asked, wanting terribly to comfort Yumi…though he wouldn't dare show it. "I am Seikoru Takashi. I used to work for the acclaimed Lord Ookubo…"

Shishio cringed at the name.

"I see…" he said dryly, glaring at Seikoru.

"Please don't kill me again! I'll do anything! Anything Mister Shishio!"

Shishio smiled.

"Well…that's more like it. All right. Tomorrow take me to this great Usui of yours." Shishio ordered.

"But-but-but-but Usui said not to…"

"Well Usui's not the one with a sword three inches from your neck." He raised his katana to Seikoru's jugular, ready to kill.

"Uhh…you've…got a good point there…" Seikoru stammered nervously.

"Good. We'll meet you back here in the morning. And you'll tell no one about this. Do you understand?"

"Y-yes…Mister Shishio."

And with that, he was off into his house, thankful he was still alive. After he was gone, Yumi leaned her head on her master's shoulder, happy the man had left. Suddenly she looked into Shishio's eyes. She lost her happiness in that moment. He was glaring at her.

"Come on. Let's find somewhere to rest. I have to talk to you."

The End of Ch.2

What will Shishio talk to her about? Why is he mad? Find out in Ch.3