Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Her Own Path ❯ The Mission ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Disclaimer: No I’m not smart enough to make up a cool story such as Rurouni Kenshin. If I tried it would be pathetic. So I’ll leave it tp the professionals.

Warnings: I don’t think there are any…


HER OWN PATH

Chapter Five- The Mission



“Do you understand Himura? We only want the both of you to infiltrate Shishio’s layer and discover what the shipments he has been making contain. That means no blood and no killing. Make sure that your presence is unknown. The last thing we need is for Shishio to discover that we are on his trail.”

“Yes Katsura-san, I understand completely.”

“Good. Just make damn sure that you stay hidden. That is all.”

Kenshin closed the cell phone and handed it back to Sano, who was lounging in the passenger seat. “Told ya you’d like this assignment. As I recall you’ve been looking for Shishio for some time. Aren’t ya glad you listened to me and joined with Katsura?” Sano asked as he slipped the phone in his pocket.

“Yes Sano, for once I am glad that I listened to your advice,” Kenshin replied with a smile.

Sano nodded in agreement until he realized what it was that Kenshin said. “Hey… What do you mean for once?!”

‘Finally, I’ve found Shishio. I’ll see that you are avenged…’

“So, what do you think of Jou-chan?” Sanosuke decided to get the just of what Kenshin felt for her. Though he sure hoped that he loved her back. It didn’t look as though she could take him telling her that he didn’t.

Kenshin paused for a moment. What was it that he felt for her?

“To be honest, I really don’t know…”

Sano collapsed back into the seat, his anticipation completely dissolved. “Big help you are…” He muttered under his breath.

“Sano, what is Kaoru-dono’s family name?”

“I think it was Kamiya. Why?”

Kamiya. He knew that name… But it couldn’t be, it must be a coincidence.

“Never mind.”

(((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))


The card dropped from her numbed fingers. Kaoru tried swallowing to relieve her mouth from the dry spell that had suddenly hit it. But it did absolutely nothing. Her eyes were burning fiercely and they wouldn’t stop.

‘Kenshin… He couldn’t actually be that old. Maybe it’s some sort of a trick card or something.’ Kaoru thought as she laid back on the bed. Yet, somehow she knew that that wasn’t the truth.

But worrying over it this much was not going to get her anywhere. Kenshin did promise that he would explain later after all. If she just waited…

“Kenshin no baka! Leaving me here when I want to ask you so many questions. Fine, when you get back you’ll answer for everything,” Kaoru grinned maliciously.

For a moment her gaze turned to a shelf that was place in the corner, shrouded in darkness.

On it was a lone picture of four people.

Kaoru had to get closer to actually see who they were. On the left was Sano and a beautiful woman. She had plum-colored eyes and deep red lips. Sano’s hand was draped over her shoulders, brushing through some of her dark hair. She had a sly smile that clashed with her partner’s goofy grin. They looked so happy.

On the right Kaoru immediately recognized Kenshin. His hair was tied tightly high on his head; he looked like a samurai. But as she scanned his face she realized that he didn’t have the cross-shaped scar. He had his arms wrapped around a young woman. Kaoru’s heart nearly froze.

She had long black hair and deep onyx eyes, she was stunning to say the least. The two of them looked so… peaceful.


((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))


Kenshin gripped the sheath and gracefully tied the sakabatou to his belt.

Sano watched his motions and sighed, “You know Kenshin, I’ll never understand why it is that you carry that thing when you can use a katana so easily. It kind of contradicts…”

Kenshin grimaced for a second, then regained his composure. “I am nothing like the Battousai. For this mission we were told not to kill, only to gather information. I refuse to kill if it is unnecessary.”

They both remained crouched behind the large stack of boxes and waited patiently for his arrival.

Shishio’s hideout was apparently an old warehouse on the edge of the city. And it was damned hard to find, especially when all Kenshin had was Sano’s directions. They had driven past it at least three times before Kenshin had just stopped listening to Sanosuke.

They were told that Shishio was getting a rather large shipment tonight and their mission was to discover of what it was.

From where Sano and Kenshin were stationed they could clearly see the guards circling the gates. They had been lucky enough to get inside without being caught for the amount of guards that there were.

“Do ya think it could be drugs, maybe opium or something?” Sano whispered.

“I don’t think so… I can’t smell any trace of it around here.” Kenshin shifted his position to get a better look.

And in the near distance he recognized the bandaged body of Shishio Makoto. Here. The man who had killed the most precious thing to him was a mere thirty feet away from Kenshin’s blade.

‘No killing. No killing. Do not kill. It’s not what she would have wanted. Do not kill…’

His heart thumped louder in his chest and it felt as though his veins were going to burst from the pressure.

‘Do not kill. Only gather information. Do not kill…’

By now Sanosuke turned and saw Shishio as well. He glanced over to Kenshin to see how he was taking it. Damn, it was starting already.

He quietly shuffled across to Kenshin and stared into the amber eyes that were glowing in Shishio’s direction. His teeth, or rather fangs, were clenched into that bitter snarl.

Sano grabbed the front of Kenshin’s coat and whispered into his ear. “Come on Kenshin. Calm down. You can’t start this insanity when I’m right in front of you.”


Shishio pulled from one of the crates a long and delicately carved katana. A violent slash rung through the blade as he tested it. His eyes however focused on the quick flash of white material he had seen. Someone was here…

“Houji, I thought you said that this area was clean? Someone has already located us,” He spat onto the ground with frustration.

“T-That’s impossible. How could anyone have found us here?”

A woman then walked up to Shishio and clung to his arm, “Shishio-sama, you’re getting so worked up.” Her green lips formed into a smile.

“What is in those crates near there?” Shishio asked them both as he turned his head where the stacks of boxes were.

“Gunpowder. Crates full of gunpowder,” Yumi answered as she delicately traced his gloved hand.

“I see. Time to get rid of the rats.” Shishio smiled sadistically as he neared the crates.

Sano raised his head just in time to see Shishio drawing near. This wasn’t helping Kenshin’s state of mind at all. He tugged on Kenshin’s coat to try to get him to move, they had to get out of there.

Shishio suddenly stopped and raised his sword above his head. In one swift moment he brought it down on the ground and with a twisted smile whispered, “Homuradama.”

Sano’s eyes widened a great deal as he literally picked Kenshin up and began to run.

The attack of flames set off the gunpowder with huge explosions of smoke and fire. Bits of wood and dust were floating and being blown away as a ring of explosions was created. Like dominos, when one was set off so was the one next to it.

Sano dodged a falling board that was currently on fire. There was no way they could make it to the car, it was at least a few blocks back. And the flames were coming closer and reaching them.


As he turned back he saw Shishio making his escape and the guards taking the crates with them on the ship.

Since most of the guards were gone, there was no need to be discreet any longer. Sano steadied Kenshin in his left hand and with his right blew through the stone wall with his ‘Futae no Kiwami’.

The stone crumbled and a large hole was left for Sano to dash through with Kenshin still in his arms.

As explosions radiated through the night Sanosuke and Kenshin (unwillingly) leaped into the ocean.

AU: To be continued…

I’m kidding! That would be cruel though wouldn’t it? Read on for the actual end of the chapter.







((((((((((((((((((((((((((( ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))


She could hear dishes clanking together and smell the faint scent of fish. That was enough to wake her out of the deep sleep that she had previously been in.

Kaoru slowly opened her eyes and rubbed the sleep from them.

A door opened and she was momentarily blinded with the harsh light. And in through the door walked Kenshin.

Her still numb brain took a moment for this to register, but as it did she nearly leapt out of the bed. “Kenshin!”

Kenshin walked up to her with a plate in his hand. There was a towel draped around his shoulders, and it appeared as though his clothes were wet too.

“Good evening Kaoru-dono. We only just got back a few moments ago. I had thought that you might be hungry,” Kenshin smiled as he watched her ravenously devour the plate of salmon and rice he had given to her.

As he sat down beside her on the bed she felt all the anger flush from her body. She had planned before to savagely order him into answering her. But, now that he was here, she was having difficulty in thinking any negative thoughts.

Before sleep had claimed her, Kaoru had decided that she would confess to Kenshin when he got back. However, before she did, there was one thing she had to know first.

“Kenshin, That picture over there. Who is in it?” She questioned in a quite voice.

He seemed surprised at first, then he gained a sad smile. Kenshin suddenly wished that Sanosuke was still here.

“Ah, so you saw that did you? That picture was taken four years ago. Back then, Sano was dating a woman named Megumi. She’s the one in the lavender dress. But, she died a few years ago in a car accident,” Kenshin grimaced as he revealed the last detail. If She wanted to know the rest of what happened then, she would have to ask Sanosuke. It wasn’t his place to tell of something that did not concern him.

“That’s awful…” Kaoru whispered. She felt a pang of dread for Sano. They looked so happy in that picture, so in love…

“And, I imagine you know that I’m in there as well. The woman with me-” Kenshin choked, “-is Tomoe.”

“Tomoe,” Kaoru echoed with some awe.

“Hai. She is-was my wife.”


AU: THAT is the REAL ending. Just as Kaoru’s about to confess, Kenshin suddenly has a wife. Or had rather…

I’m really sorry, I had thought that I would get to explaining about Kenshin in this chapter, but I just ran out of time. Kenshin had four big secrets in this story, the one that was revealed was his age. As the story moves I’ll identify them as we go.

I updated this faster than I had thought I would. With that last chapter that I put the reviews literally doubled. I was quite shocked…

Hopefully expect the next chapter sometime within the next week.

I won’t ask people to review, because if I did, it may sound like I was begging and harassing you all a bit. But if you want to then please do! (It makes me happy and makes me update sooner.)

Until then, ja ne!