Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Her Own Path ❯ Who Are You? ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I sad… no own Rurouni Kenshin *_*

Warnings: Kaoru is about to discover one of Kenshin secrets…


HER OWN PATH

Chapter Four- Who Are You?



Cinnamon.

She could smell cinnamon.

The scent of the familiar plant embedded itself in her delicate nostrils. Though it was not strong, it still made its presence be known to her, even in the unconscious state that she was in.

‘Where am I?’ She thought as she attempted to pull her thoughts together and remember what it was that had happened to her.

Violent images flashes through her mind, like a fast forwarding film.

She recalled the blood, the horrible stench of blood still flooded her senses and plagued her mind. That strong of a scent of blood… She had not smelt it since her parents had died.

‘That’s right, the man was murdered…’ That much was clear in her hazy state.

But as to who had done it, she had trouble recalling.

Then it hit her as a ton of bricks would have.

Kenshin. Kenshin had killed a man the very second that she had found him.

Kenshin killed…

… a man.

She viciously shook her head in disbelief. That couldn’t have happened, the gentle Kenshin that she knew would never think to do anything of the sort.

Then it dawned on her, where exactly was she?

The room seemed plain enough. A table, chairs, and the bed that she was currently lying on. But, where was it? And who had brought her here?

Her first guess was Kenshin. She however knew that it was a foolish thought, and tried to resign from thinking it.

As if called by her mind, the saviour that had brought her spoke, “Kaoru-dono, you are finally awake. I have been waiting for nearly a day for you to rise.”

“Kenshin, where are we?” Kaoru asked, for the first time using her voice, and finding it to be quite hoarse. Any thoughts that she had previously of him murdering a man in front of her were momentarily forgotten.

“Aa, gomen Kaoru-dono, but I had no choice other than to bring you here after you fainted,” Kenshin replied as he leaned on the frame of the door that he had entered. He still had failed to mention where they were, simply avoiding the question.

“I… fainted?”

“Hai, that you did. And about what you were forced to see, Sessha humbly apologizes. Had I realized that you were there sooner, I never would have committed that act,” Kenshin answered with a low bow while he spoke.

“But, why did you do it Kenshin? Why did you take an innocent man’s life?” Kaoru questioned. Her shoulders shook with emotion that she was unable to suppress, no matter how had she tried. Hot tears gathered in the corners of her eyes and she forcefully attempted to blink them away. But to no avail. They simply poured down her pale cheeks as silent waterfalls.
Kenshin cringed. He had made her cry. However indirectly, it was still a fault of his.

He walked over to where she was sitting on the bed and with allured grace gently wrapped his arms around her quivering frame. “I am deeply sorry Kaoru-dono. I cannot tell you why it was that I did what I did. But despite the circumstances, I am very glad to see you. I had hoped that you would wait for me…” Kenshin whispered into her small ear.

“Kenshin, I-”

“OI! KENSHIN! YOU IN HERE?!” A loud voice boomed, completely cutting Kaoru off from revealing her most intimate feelings.

The door then slammed open, “KENSH-! Oh…” Sano dropped the level of his voice as he witnessed the scene before him.


Kaoru and Kenshin were sitting on Kenshin’s bed. His arms were slung tightly around her and her face was buried into his shoulder.

“Sorry for interrupting,” Sano commented as his face took on a sly grin. “Geez Kenshin. I leave you for a couple hours and look at where it gets you. In bed with a woman! You sure must work fast,” He muffled his snicker so that Kenshin wouldn’t hear, hopefully.

No such luck…

“Kaoru-dono, would you please excuse us!” Kenshin asked while he forcefully pushed Sanosuke out of the room.

She could hear their whispered voices, whatever they were talking of, it must have been serious.

“Sano, why would you reveal my location? You know that it is confidential information and yet you revealed it to a bystander!”

“Hey man, I was doing you a favour. Do you know how desperate Jou-chan was to get to you? It wasn’t like I could say “no” to her. She reminds me too much of Megumi…”
“I know Sano, I know. Has there been any news?”

“Yeah, they got another mission for ya.”

“Another one?! I just finished my last one yesterday!”

“Don’t get edgy on me! Besides, it won’t be so bad. ‘Cause this time I’ll be there with ya!”

“Sure Sano. Just try not to get lost on the way there.”

“LOST! What do you mean get lost?! I NEVER get lost!”

“Then why for half of our missions must I always come and search for you in the midst of battle?”

“That’s… uh…”

Kaoru couldn’t help but giggle at them to herself. They sounded like a couple of brothers. Then again, Sagara-san had said that they had been friends for a while.

Kenshin’s head poked into the door, “Gomen Kaoru-dono. It looks as though our visit will have to be cut short. We should be back before nightfall, and I would appreciate it if you would remain here until then. I’ll explain what I can upon our return.”

“Come on Kenshin! You can flirt with her LATER.”

“SHUT UP, Sano!” Kenshin’s yell was somewhat blocked as he closed the door.

Kaoru smiled then. Kenshin would be back, and he would explain things to her. She had to wait for him, so that she could hopefully confess her love before dawn.

She decided that she’d better get back to sleep and pulled at the covers.

But something was there that she hadn’t noticed before. A wallet. Kenshin’s wallet.

Though she knew she was invading his privacy, she had to know more about him, and she quietly scanned its contents.

No money, no passes or cards. Except for a lone plastic card.

Kaoru carefully pulled it out and glanced at it. It seemed to be some sort of identification card.

Name: Kenshin Himura

Sex: Male

Height: 5’5

Age: 150

“What, that can’t be right… It must be a typo,” Kaoru convinced herself.

But as she scanned down she nearly fainted at what she read.

Birthdate: July 5, 1850

‘1850... Kenshin was born 150 years ago? What’s going on…’
She thought as the card fell from her hands.

‘Kenshin, who and what are you…?’


(((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))

AC: Dun-dun-dun! A lame cliffy I suppose. Don’t you just hate it when Sano bursts in at those crucially important moments! (I just had to do it too. It’s too early for Kaoru to confess) Kenshin’s age disorder will (hopefully) be explained next chapter.

Thank you to those few of you who have reviewed and are reading this story. I appreciate it! (It let me avoid doing my homework!)

Until later, ja ne!