Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Her Own Path ❯ The Reunion ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I would give all that I own to have Rurouni Kenshin, even for a day…

Warnings: A meeting is about to ensue…


HER OWN PATH

Chapter Three- The Reunion



‘A man with flaming red hair, his back facing her. She saw his hair, flowing freely from the previous bondage that had once held it in place. His long black trench coat whipped dangerously in the harsh unseen wind.

Though apprehensive she was, she slowly crept up behind him to get a better glimpse of his face. She extended her arm towards him, reaching for him as though she could not live without him.

She faltered slightly when his head spun around to face her.

Bangs eluded her from seeing the true aspects of his face. Yet for some reason she moved closer, though she knew that she should be afraid and wary.

His bangs flapped away with aid of the wind and she saw him.

Narrowed eyes glared at her and kept her rooted where she was. The ominous amber glow that they had to them made her feel actual fear. Blood was splattered and dripping from his face, but it did not appear to belong to him.

Her harsh gasp resonated through her thin body as she witnessed the cross-shaped scar adorning his left cheek.

“Ken-” She breathed.’

With a start she flew up from her bed, a thin coating of sweat was flowing from her temples and slightly obscuring her vision. “-shin…” Kaoru finished the last thought that had crossed her mind from the dream.

The emotional onslaught that the dream brought caused her to fall back down onto the bed. She had been having that dream ever since she last saw Kenshin, that was nearly a year ago.

He had not turned up for that long, nor had she heard any news from him.

That night she had hoped that he would still be there when her shift was done. But all she had found was a card and rose in his place. Kaoru had thought that the words, “We’ll meet again,” symbolized a brief parting, maybe a small romantic notion. She couldn’t have been more wrong. When Kenshin said that he was leaving, he really meant ‘leaving’.
Yet, she couldn’t stop the large part of her heart that desperately hoped for his return someday.

*************************

“So Kaoru-chan, I was wondering… What do you think of Aoshi-sama? Isn’t he simply the greatest!” Misao chirped as she twirled around, her long braid following her ballet-like steps.

“Aa,” Kaoru replied without paying much attention to the actual question.

“Now Kaoru-chan, I’ve known you for all my life and I know that when you answer in ‘that’ tone that you are think of something deep and intimate.” She hinted with a wink of a certain redhead that Kaoru had informed her of.

“I… had that dream about Kenshin again…” Kaoru replied in a quiet tone, not quite realizing what it was that she had just told the ‘motor-mouth’.

“I knew it! You were thinking about Himura! I can’t believe that you are already falling for him, and only after one real conversation. That’s so romantic!” Misao whispered and clasped her hands together as small hearts filled her eyes.

‘No… I’m not falling in love with him,’ Kaoru told herself in a firm voice. This was a topic that she had already discussed with herself to understand her true feelings. A heart-filled smile broke out on her face, ‘I fell in love with him on that day… The exact moment that I saw his wonderful smile. After that, I knew that I was in love with him.’

Misao had graciously offered to treat Kaoru to lunch and they were on their way to claim one of the best burgers ever made. They were stopped however when a large man bumped into Misao.

The man stumbled backwards whereas the much shorter Misao was plough-drived over onto the pavement.

“You little itachi! Why don’t you watch where you’re going!” The man grumbled as she readjusted his jacket.

Misao glared daggers up from where she was currently sitting.


The man was of course very tall and gangly, yet still muscular. His clothes were all white, as were the bandages that adorned his ‘various’ body parts. He had kind coffee-colored eyes that held a certain sparkle to them. Misao quickly derived a nickname for him. His spiked-up hair that defied gravity gave him the look of one word…


“Why don’t you watch where you’re going you overgrown tori-tama!!” She screamed back and his face turned beet red.

“Tori-tama?! Why you little itachi!” He snarled her title in a sarcastic voice, only because it seemed to really piss her off.

Misao leaped up from the ground and look as though she was prepared to attack him.

Kaoru wisely judged that this would be a good time to intervene, to prevent a war. “Now now… No one meant any harm,” She chided in a peaceful voice.

“I know that this-” The man snapped back, but cut himself off once he looked at Kaoru. “Hey… You used to work at the Akabeko! I was a regular customer there!” He exclaimed with sudden realization.

“Really? Yeah, I worked there until a few months ago,” Kaoru replied.

Three months ago to be exact. Because of financial problems Tae was forced to close the Akabeko and let go of her workers. Kaoru had heard that she moved to the city where her sister Sae lived. But, that was about all she knew.

“Yeah! I recognize you now… You were the girl that was talking to Kenshin. I was in there that same night,” He answered with a grin.

This man… He knew Kenshin…

“Kenshin! You know him?!” Kaoru gasped. She had finally found someone who knew something of him.

“Yep. He and I have been buddies for years. I was lookin’ out for him that night when I heard that someone was following him-” He realized that he had let out too much information.

“What is your name?”

“Sanouske Sagara. I’ve heard a lot about you from Kenshin Jou-chan.”

“Then Sagara-san… Onegai! Tell me where Kenshin is! I have to find him!” Kaoru cried as she desperately clung to his shirt.

“I-I’m sorry Jou-chan… I can’t. He wouldn’t want anyone to see him now. Besides, he told me that he was assigned to another mission in this city!” Sano nearly slapped himself upside the head. He did it again! Giving up vital information that no one was supposed to know.

“ONEGAI!” She screamed as tears gushed down from her face. Sano actually felt bad for her. He had no idea that she cared for Kenshin so much…

“Sagara-san, onegai! I have to find him so that I can tell him…” Kaoru drifted off, afraid to reveal her feelings to a near stranger.

“Tell him what?” He asked in a gentle voice.

“That… That I… That I love him!!” She bawled desperately.

Misao and Sanouske both gasped, neither had been expecting that, especially with such fierce emotion.

“Kingsway,” Sanouske mumbled in defeat. “Kenshin should be at Kingsway by now. But Jou-chan, you can’t-” Sano was cut off as he witnessed Kaoru dashing away madly. “Jou-chan, no!!” He screamed in a panic-filled voice.

If Kaoru saw Kenshin as he was now…

***************************

She knew that if she could just get to Kenshin that everything would be fine. Willing her feet to run faster, she gave a final burst of energy. Her sneakers were pounding down as heavy rocks would on the pavement. The fierce beating of her heart only grew larger and larger as anxiety filled her. It felt as though her strongest and most vital organ was about to burst.

Cutting corners by wildly twisting her ankles she came to the street that Sanouske was speaking of.

‘Kingsway…’ She thought with triumph.

Kenshin was just down this street. All of her feelings for him seemed to well up inside of her and she dashed down the street, crying tears of happiness.

An alleyway came into her line of vision and Kaoru for some reason felt that Kenshin, her Kenshin, was there.

She tried to will herself to run, to cry out his name. But she found that she couldn’t.

Slow and careful footsteps were taken as Kaoru made her way to the middle of the alley.

Her heart caught in her throat as she witnessed the scene that haunted her dreams.

Two people were a mere ten feet away from her, one was standing and the other was laying on the ground. The figure that was upright was definitely Kenshin. His blood red locks remained out of their usual tie and were unconsciously flowing on his back. As if they had been possessed and turned into flames.

In his right hand, a katana was held parallel with his leg. Kaoru inspected it further and realized that there was blood dripping off of it…

The man on the ground was screaming, begging, pleading, attempting anything to have his life spared.

From the odd angle that she was facing the scene Kaoru saw Kenshin’s lips form into a twisted smile. His normally peaceful violet eyes were now glowing, piercing through the darkness. Just like hot amber coals.

Kenshin raised the katana above his head and before Kaoru could stop him he whispered, “Shinei.”

Blood sprayed from the man’s vital chest wound, within seconds he was dead.

Kaoru wanted to scream, to run away. This wasn’t her Kenshin, this was… a monster.

Through her parched and cracked lips Kaoru cried out, “Kenshin!”

His head snapped back to her and a snarl escaped between his clenched teeth.

Kaoru fell to her knees crying, “Kenshin…” She continuously repeated his name, hoping to break the trance that he was trapped in.

As Kenshin watched her, recognition dawned on his blood-covered face. The katana lowered slightly, until it dropped to the cement with a clatter. Kenshin stared at the blood dripping off of his hands and his expression turned to a look of horror.

“K-Kaoru-dono?” He questioned to the abyss of the night.

‘What have I done…’

**************************

AC: Ummmm… Don’t hurt me! (runs and hides under desk)
I plan to update this in a week, if I can. This chapter came out faster than I had planned…

I am attempting to make each entry at least 1000 words, or longer.

Until we meet again…

Ja ne!

Japanese terms:

Itachi- nickname for Misao (weasel)

Tori-tama- nickname for Sano (rooster)

Onegai- please

Shinei- die

Jou-chan- Sano’s endearment for Kaoru (Little Missy)