Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Her Own Path ❯ Roses ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I unfortunately do not own Rurouni Kenshin or any of the characters involved, though I wish I did…

Warnings: As of yet there are none.


HER OWN PATH

Chapter Two- Roses



“Kaoru-chan, you can take your break now!” Tae’s voice floated over the dead restaurant to Kaoru’s ears.

‘Finally a break…’ Kaoru thought as she made her way to sit down. She was about to sit behind the counter that most of the staff went to, but something caught her eye. He was here again. Although he had told her that Kenshin was his name, she still had problems addressing him as such.

He sat near the back wall calmly sipping his tea with a thoughtful expression on his face. Kaoru couldn’t help but stare at him, he was perfect. Long crimson hair was pulled back into a loose draping at the nape of his neck. His long black overcoat forced his hair to have a deep contrast in comparison. But his eyes, those intrigued her more than anything. It seemed that they never had the same tone of color, that they changed rapidly from time to time. Sometimes they were a pale violet, and others a savage gold. On previous occasions, when Kaoru served him she noticed a thin cross-shaped scar on his left cheek. Her immediate reaction was to ask him how it was that he had gotten it. But the mere thought of it screamed rudeness so she with drawled from the thought.

Kaoru gathered up her courage and decided that she would go and talk to him.

“A-Ano, Kenshin-san, could I sit here?” Kaoru trembled while gesturing to the seat across from him.

Kenshin raised his head in surprise and simply stared at her. He then realized that she wanted an answer, so he nodded.

Relief overcame her at that simple gesture and she sank into the leather-clad chair.

“Good evening Kaoru-dono. What can I do for you?” Kenshin asked as he placed his tea back down to the table.

“I- just wanted to talk with you…” Kaoru knew that her reply sounded lame at best, but she hadn’t been expecting him to ask her that.


Kenshin briefly considered questioning her of what they were to speak, just for the pure pleasure of seeing her blush again. The thought however, subsided momentarily.

Instead he took in her appearance with awe. Her silky black hair was pulled near the top of her head by use of a faint blue ribbon that complimented her stunning sapphire eyes. Small delicate pink lips were pursed together, and her eyebrows drawn together in a slight frown.

Kenshin panicked at first to what could have made her upset, then realized that he had been gawking at her with a stupid grin plastered on his face.

In order to cover his blunder Kenshin blurted that first question that came to mind, “So Kaoru-dono, how long have you been employed here?”

“Only for three years. I’ve worked here to… gather finances for college,” She pulled out the first decent lie she could think of. It wasn’t like she could waltz up to him and say, “My name is Kaoru and I’m working here so that I don’t starve.” Especially not to him. For a strange reason Kaoru wanted Kenshin to be proud of her, rather than disappointed and pitied upon.

Kenshin was unsure of why he had suddenly felt her ki drop down. What could be so bad about what she had said?

“What about you Kenshin-san? I don’t recall ever seeing you around the city,” Kaoru commented to keep the conversation going.

“I haven’t traveled this way for a long time…” His mysterious voice sent shivers up her spine.

“Traveled?”

“My pardons Kaoru-dono. I am a wanderer, I travel around the country freely,” Kenshin replied with a small smile.

Kaoru nearly melted at the sight.

“That must be wonderful, to be able to travel to your hearts content. Anywhere you wish…” She answered in a passion-filled voice. For what he had just described was what she was secretly yearning for.

Kenshin kept his smile when he witnessed how at peace she seemed at that moment.


But as his sight drifted to a nearby window he felt a pang of dread. The night had progressed further than he had thought, he had remained here for too long.

“Gomen Kaoru-dono, but I must be going now,” Kenshin said as he began to stand up.

‘He’s leaving…’

“Kenshin, wait!” She cried out as she attempted to snatch his wrist. Her hand however snaked just to the right and crashed into his teacup, spilling its contents throughout the table.

“Mou!” Kaoru snapped as she watched the green tea cover the marble table.

“I’ll get that,” They both replied at the exact same time as they reached for the napkin holder.

Kaoru’s fingers barely brushed Kenshin hand, yet she still felt an intense wave. It was as if an electric shock had been passed from him into those three fingers that were now tingling mercilessly.

A fierce blush appeared on her face and she retracted her hand to try and subside the feeling.

Kenshin was chuckling while he wiped up the spilt tea in long graceful motions.

Kaoru could stare at his movements forever, and be lost in his poise. He was perfectly flawless, and graceful to no end.

She almost didn’t hear Tae calling her. “Kaoru-chan, I need you back here!”

“I-I’m coming!” Was her reply as she sped away from the embarrassing scene.

Kenshin watched as her slim form rush back to work and he heaved a sigh.
“I guess this is goodbye for now Kaoru-dono,” He whispered. Kenshin dug into his pockets and pulled from them a card and a long-stemmed red rose. He lay them both on the table for her to find later.

‘I won’t be coming back this way for quite some time… I’m going to miss you, Kaoru-dono. I pray that you will be here when I return,’ Kenshin thought as he stepped out and disappeared into the dark of the night.

The rose and card were left on the table, still untouched.

The words, “We’ll meet again…” were engraved on the beige slip of paper.


AU: How was that? I’m sorry for those of you who don’t like my style of writing. I tend to tell more things rather than have the story and characters explain them. But hopefully, if you like the story enough, that won’t matter.
I’m sorry for the late update, exams are coming up and I was a little to overloaded.
I’ll try to update this story every week or so.

Ja ne!