Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Maternal Expectation ❯ May ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
May, 1880

Spring had sprung. The April showers had passed and now the May flowers were in their full beauty. The sakura trees were producing their beautiful pink petals, which fell to earth in a lustrous torrent. Kenshin and Kaoru sat on the engawa in the backyard, watching the pretty pink petals fall from their large tree in the corner. Kaoru loved that tree. It had been there before she was born and she'd grown up playing under its branches. She was looking forward to their baby doing the same.

"Do you think we'll have a boy or a girl?" asked Kaoru suddenly.

"A girl," said Kenshin dreamily, permitting himself visions of a chibi Kaoru, dancing around the backyard in a pretty pink kimono with a large blue ribbon in her hair to match her pretty eyes.

"I hope it's a boy," said Kaoru, permitting herself visions of a chibi Kenshin with red hair and violet eyes just like his daddy's. She smiled at the thought of Chibi Kenshin wielding a liliputian Sakabatou and couldn't help but laugh.

"What's so funny?" asked Kenshin, gazing at her out of the side of his eye.

"Oh, nothing," said Kaoru as she snuggled up against him.

Privately, Kenshin dreaded the thought of having a son. If he had a son, the boy would naturally expect to follow in his footsteps and want to learn Hiten Mitsurugi, which he was determined to take to his grave with him. Boys were also known for being headstrong and disobedient. After all, he had been so to Hiko. Why would any son of his be different?

A girl on the other hand, would be sweet, loving, patient, mild and someone he could teach how to cook, do laundry, cha no yu, ikebana and have tea parties with. Yes, a pretty little girl who looked exactly like Kaoru would be a very nice addition to the household. Kenshin's lips curled up in a smile as he started thinking of possible names for the daughter he desired.

That night as they lay together in bed, Kenshin put his hand on Kaoru's stomach and felt the baby kicking. It was a good, strong kick.

"We have a night-owl," he said, laughter in his voice.

"Yeah. First thing we'll have to do is get him on a schedule," said Kaoru.

"Don't worry. I'll stay up with her if need be," said Kenshin.

"Kenshin, only I am equipped to feed a baby," said Kaoru, gesturing to her swollen breasts.

"And beautiful equipment it is," said Kenshin, massaging the engorged globes.

Kaoru rolled her eyes.