Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Maternal Expectation ❯ A Gift ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
November

Kenshin answered a knock at the gate and was mystified when he received a small package from a courier. After tipping the courier, Kenshin went and sat on the engawa. The package was addressed to him and Kaoru with all kinds of foreign postage on it. He untied the string and tore off the paper. Opening the box, he pulled out a small stuffed rooster with brown feathers, a red comb and round, rather vacant-looking glass eyes. A piece of paper was tied to its neck by a string.

Kenshin's eyes widened when he saw who the note was from.

"Hey Kenshin,

Guess who? I'm on the East Coast of North America right now and found this little guy in a toy shop in Boston. He was hand-made by a real nice old lady who sold him to me half-price for doing some shit around the store for her. I don't know if you and Jou-chan have had any kids yet, but if you have, could you give them this rooster here for me?

Take care and be safe,

Sano"

"Sano..." Kenshin said.

Kenshin entered the living room where Kaoru was sitting on a cushion, book in one hand, baby in the other. Kaoru looked up and her eyes widened too when she saw the plush rooster Kenshin held in his hand.

"Guess who sent this," he said.

"Not a stretch," said Kaoru.

Kneeling down, Kenshin held the rooster out to Kenji. The baby reached out and clutched at it, immediately pulling the rooster to his mouth. Kenshin and Kaoru exchanged smiles and Kenji began gumming the toy.

Later that day, Yahiko stopped by for a visit. He smirked when he saw the rooster in Kenji's arms. Already the baby refused to part with it.

"Sano?" he asked, pointing at the plush fowl.

Kenshin and Kaoru nodded.

"Thought so," said Yahiko.