Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Memories in Kyoto ❯ Gang Trouble ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

********************

Gang Trouble

********************

Kenshin watched him out of the corner of his eye, the violet in them clouding with suspicion. The boy made no effort to acknowledge him but rather, waited patiently for the waitress to come to take his order. His eyes moved to the sword that hung at his side. What would a young boy be doing with a sword?

"Himura!" a voice complained. Kenshin blinked, his eyes suddenly widening with surprise. Misao stood beside him, her hands on her hips. She frowned deeply, her blue eyes gleaming with annoyance. "What is it with you? You've been acting strange ever since you got here."

"Uh…" he began nervously. "It's nothing," he finally replied, putting on a smile to make his act more convincing. They had come to Kyoto to enjoy themselves and would not be burdened by his measly troubles. They didn't deserve that. Misao looked at him closely, her face skeptical.

"If you say so, Himura," she said. She started to turn to sit back down but saw whom Kenshin sat next to. She widened her eyes in disbelief, awing at the red-haired boy.

"Oh my god!" she exclaimed, pointing at the boy then Kenshin. "You guys look like twins!" A frown replaced her open mouth. "Himura, did you invite one of your relatives?"

"N-Not that I know of!" he denied immediately, putting up his hands. He knew that they already suspected that the boy had something to do with Kenshin. Heck, he even suspected that this boy had something to do with him! He felt the boy shift uncomfortably. Didn't they know that he could hear them? Sano looked over at Kenshin, putting on the same awed face as Misao.

"Oi, Kenshin! He looks exactly like you!" he commented loudly. "Only younger!" Sano blinked rapidly, nudging the young boy that sat next to him. Yahiko just nodded, doubt in his eyes.

"Kenshin, what's going on?" Kaoru inquired. All eyes watched Kenshin, waiting for his answer. He tapped his foot anxiously. Now what? What was he to tell them? He couldn't exactly tell them that he thought that this boy could be… No. It was impossible. It wouldn't make sense. First of all, he had no proof. Done and done.

"I…" Kenshin cleared his throat, feeling the gazes of his friends intensify. "I'm not exactly sure…"

Footsteps reached his ears. He glanced toward the sound, seeing a waitress standing next to the table while clutching a tray. Kenshin sighed with relief. Saved… for now. She had light brown hair that fell over her shoulders in wisps of auburn, covering the back of her waitress uniform.

"Hello there!" she greeted, smiling at Kenshin and the boy. "What can I get you two?"

Kenshin blinked. "Um… Excuse me, ma'am but we're not… together," he pointed out, gesturing a thumb back to his friends. "I'm with them."

The waitress just smiled and laughed. "Oh! Pardon me. I thought you two were family! Please, excuse my rudeness," she apologized, bowing slightly. Kenshin blinked. Family? "Well then, what can I get for all of you?"

Sano and Yahiko shouted out their orders, not taking the chance of the others getting food before them. The rest laughed at their friends' eagerness, soon telling the waitress their orders too. Kenshin just asked for tea. At this point, he wasn't very hungry.

"And you?" she asked, gazing down at the boy. He looked up with violet eyes that glowed softly.

"Just a bowl of ma-cha," he answered, ordering the traditional shaved ice. The waitress bowed again then walked into the kitchen, giving the orders to the chef.

Kenshin sighed with disappointment. Now that the waitress was gone, he still had to answer the question: Who was this boy? The gazes of his friends turned to him once more, making him swallow nervously. What would he do? What can he do? He silently prayed that there would be another interruption to buy him time. Sure, to others, if they saw someone that they didn't know and eerily resembled them, they would deny their suspicions toward them. This may seem to be one of those situations. Kenshin narrowed his eyes. But not to him. He suspected something more. Not just a strange coincidence. He would not just let this go. His intuitive feeling was much too strong. He had some sort of relationship to this boy and it was important. He could feel it.

The wind blew toward the entrance, chilling the warm, hearty atmosphere. Through the flaps of cloth, one could see the faces of other men. They all had narrow eyes, eyes that were hollow and bland. Kenshin watched them, feeling his darker side reacting. They didn't look like much. He knew this from their appearances, either skinny or fat, with barely any muscles. These men were just troublemakers.

The first man was probably the only one out of the group who was somewhat fit. He had a solid build and would not prove to be a weakling at all. A wooden sword hung by his side. Kenshin knew this was not made entirely of wood. Actually, few parts of it were wooden. He knew it was a blade, concealed by a wooden sheath that aligned with the hilt. It was a disgraceful sword; a symbol of a coward. He felt his darker part, the hitokiri, scoff at this man. They apparently were just common thugs.

The man looked over to the table where Kenshin and the boy sat. His face twitched. Who gave them the right to sit at his table?

He walked over, motioning to his men. They surrounded them, their hands to the hilt of their swords that hung at their sides.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?" he asked, sneering. The lavender in Kenshin's eyes hardened into a cold violet. The man felt a chill run up his spine. This man… He knew not of who Kenshin was and didn't care to find out but he knew that he should be careful around him. He tossed his head to one side, gesturing to the tables where Kenshin's friends sat.

"Move it, punk. This is our spot," he ordered. Kaoru gasped, frowning. Misao clenched her teeth, moving her hands into the sleeves of her gi. She felt the small hilts of her knives. If this guy wants to pick a fight with Himura, he would have to go through her first. Aoshi noticed his wife's tension but made no move to stop her. He too would defend Kenshin. Sano and Yahiko watched the man, prepared to help Kenshin if needed. Kaoru and the Aoiya gang clenched their fists, trying hard not to pound the table. All looked to Kenshin, wondering what would he do.

To everyone's disbelief, the rurouni stood silently, obeying the man's order. He sat next to Misao, his eyes still a hard violet. The young ninja leaned toward him, a frustrated expression on her face.

"Himura! What are you doing?!" she scolded. "You don't have to take that from him!"

Kenshin turned to her, a frown set on his face. His violet eyes flashed knowingly almost threateningly. Misao exhaled, taken aback. Himura wouldn't move but in this case when so many people could get hurt, he made a wise decision.

"Misao-dono, it is better if there is not a fight. People would get hurt," he explained. With that, Misao loosened with a pout. But wait… She looked to where the boy sat. He made no move, just remaining in his seat.

"Hey, are you deaf?" the man asked, leaning forward. "I said MOVE."

"Hey, Hinomaru said move it!" a man next to him repeated. The waitress noticed, coming over.

"Excuse me , sir but this is a public restaurant! You can't just barge in and---" she began. She cried out, falling to the ground. Tears ran down her face in streams. She put her hand onto her cheek, flinching as she touched her injured flesh. She watched the man called Hinomaru with fear, sobbing softly. He moved in close, grabbing her arm. She screamed, quivering in pain.

"Please stop… you're hurting me!" she pleaded, struggling.

"Not until you learn your place, woman!" he hollered. He tightened his grip, sneering. She yelled, begging him to let her go.

"That's enough." He turned to the voice, seeing the red-haired boy. He didn't look at him, his eyes shadowed by bangs. "Leave her be. This does not concern her."

He smirked, throwing the waitress to the side. She panted, holding her bruised wrist. Kaoru stood and went to her aid.

"It's alright now," she soothed, helping her up. The waitress nodded, sniffling. They went back to the table, standing behind Okina. Both focused on the boy and his quarrel with Hinomaru. Kaoru prayed that he would be okay.

"You gonna give me orders, now? Huh, punk?" he leaned in closer. "If you don't wanna get hurt then move your little behind over there." He pointed to one of the empty tables near the inner part of the restaurant.

"Tough," he responded callously. He looked up. Hinomaru stepped back slightly, failing to shield the fear that was etched in his face. Amber eyes rested upon him, glowing in the dim light. Kenshin noticed the golden glow, his eyes widening. Amber eyes? This was not just a coincidence. This boy did have something to do with him. He knew it.

"Besides, I don't see your name anywhere," he finished, scoffing. Hinomaru clenched his teeth, a deep growl rising from his throat. How dare he! The insolent brat!

"You punk!" He drew his sword swiftly, cutting the wooden table in half. Dust arose from the floor in clouds, causing several customers to cough and sneeze. Gasps and whispers rose from all around the room. He smirked. Yes, they would be known this way. He and his men would take care of filth like that arrogant brat. The dust settled. He looked among the wooden pieces, searching for the body and showing all that if they dared to oppose him, this was the result. He laughed, his men soon joining in.

"You missed," a voice hissed into his ear. He stopped. Slowly, he turned, seeing golden eyes staring back at him. The boy stood next to him, his hands at his sides. The amber in his eyes glinted dangerously. Hinomaru backed away, falling to the ground. That was impossible! How could a mere boy evade his attack?!

Yahiko watched in amazement. He was so fast! Misao just smiled. He sure showed that jerk. Meanwhile, Okon and Omasu cheered silently, trying not to leap up and applaud. Kaoru just glared at the man on the ground. He got what he deserved, coming into a restaurant and attacking someone just because they sat in `his' seat. It was so sad it wasn't even funny. Okina and Aoshi stared blankly ahead, their mind completely focused on the scene in front of them, often shifting to the form of Hinomaru and the strange red-headed boy. Aoshi turned his watching eye to Kenshin. There was something going on between him and the boy. How? He didn't know but questions would be answered later. Kenshin paid the most attention to the young swordsman. He knew very well what style he used. The increase of speed and evasion was very familiar. However, this style… He knew of only two people who knew it and mastered it. Himself and his master, Hiko Seijuro.

"That was extremely rude," the boy pointed out. He showed no emotion but rather a neutral expression. "Get out of here before you piss me off more."

"No way! I won't be ordered around by a punk like you!" Hinomaru retorted. The boy sighed, almost frustratingly.

"Fine. I accept," he stated. The man looked at him confusingly. What did he mean?

"It is a fight you want, isn't it? I told you, I accept," he repeated, putting his hand to his chin. "I rarely fight people weaker than me but in this case," he paused, giving him a glare," I'll make an exception. Let's take it outside."

He turned to walk out, mentally preparing for an unexpected battle.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_* _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

The boy stepped out of the restaurant, suddenly oblivious to everything around him. Now he was only focused on the battle before him. He never would have suspected that as soon as he got to Kyoto that he would have gang trouble not that it bothered him. Such gangs were cowards and picked on those weaker than them. He didn't really grasp the concept of how they lived. Why pick on the weak when they are the weak? He smiled at his ridiculous logic. Maybe this fight would give him the answer.

The men followed him silently, stopping in the middle of the street. The customers from the restaurant came out too, including Kenshin and the others. The people around them watched them, wondering what was going on. They backed away, giving the swordsmen room.

The boy said nothing, only turning to face the men with a smirk on his face. Yahiko shivered. Somehow the combination between amber eyes and a smirk wasn't very comforting. Sure these men were jerks and needed to be taught a lesson but… taking enjoyment in it was immoral. He pouted. He knew he would never be like that. Myoujin Yahiko was an honorable swordsman to the end.

"Shall we begin?" the boy asked, the callous smirk suddenly disappearing into a hard frown. Hinomaru nodded, stepping in forward.

"You're gonna regret that you ever messed with me, punk!" he shouted. He drew his blade, swinging at his opponent. There was no way this brat was going to make a fool out of him! Not while he was alive and breathing. He started to laugh, smiling almost maniacally. He swung madly in all directions, thinking that if he sliced all areas there would be no escape for the little punk. Hinomaru waited for his blade to meet flesh but it never came. The sword sliced through air, meeting nothing. He gaped at the empty spot. Now where did he go?

"Tsk, tsk, tsk… no form," a voice said from behind. He turned slowly only to see the red-haired boy standing there. He blinked rapidly. This guy wasn't human! The boy smirked, waving his finger. "Swinging a sword around recklessly won't get you anywhere."

Kenshin watched him. So confident. He knew this fight was already over. Such careless use of a sword is inferior at the face of the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu. He sighed. That man has gotten himself into a lot of trouble… He felt a nudge. Sano stood next to him, still observing the fight.

"Kenshin, do you notice something familiar about that style he's using?" he asked in a low voice. Kenshin nodded.

"Yes. Even though that boy hasn't drawn his sword, the speed at which he moves is obvious. He knows the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu. No question," he answered. He narrowed his eyes. "But what I don't understand is how he knows it. There are only two who know it---"

"You and your master, right?" Sano interrupted. He turned to Kenshin. "So… who is he then?"

Kenshin shook his head. "I don't know, Sano. I just don't know."

"You should quit while you're ahead, before you embarrass yourself further," the boy suggested. Hinomaru scowled, growling. "After all, you don't want to show to all these people that you lost to a little kid, right?"

The boy waved his hand, gesturing at the people who surrounded them. He smiled, his amber eyes gleaming dangerously. The man shifted nervously. This boy was not normal. He met the deadly gaze, trying not to show fear. Amber eyes shined in the sunlight as if they were daring him to attack. Hinomaru would not be seen as a weakling! He let out a battle cry, charging at him with his sword high above his head. This brat was not going to mock any longer!

The boy sighed almost tiredly. "Well, it's your choice. In your favor, I will end this quickly."

He grabbed his sword from under the hilt, drawing the whole blade, sheath and all. Hinomaru kept going, still yelling while he charged. A sharp pain hit his chest. He gasped, all air escaping him. His body went limp, falling to the ground unmoving. Dust rose from where he fell in thick clouds. His eyes were distant and his mouth open. The crowd around them whispered amongst themselves, pointing at the boy. He watched his fallen opponent, his eyes steady. What a waste of his time. He felt the uneasy gazes of the surveyors around him, causing him to shift foot to foot. Kaoru blinked. He didn't even draw his sword!

The sword was still sheathed but was slid halfway out of the obi. He had used the butt of the hilt to defend himself. It would it hit the opponent in the chest, knocking him unconscious. Kaoru sighed. How clever.

Kenshin exhaled, scoffing slightly. This boy was truly a gentleman. He knew very well that the man had no chance of winning. Instead of taking advantage of this weakness, he stopped the fight without really injuring his opponent. Kenshin smiled. That was good. He frowned suddenly. But the question still remained. Who was this boy and how did he know the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu?

The boy moved forward, sliding the sword back into the obi. He turned to the men that had accompanied Hinomaru.

"Sirs, if you would. Please take this man to the doctor," he requested. "I'm very sorry for the inconvenience."

The men swallowed nervously, slowly making their way to their unconscious leader. Quickly, they picked him up, carrying him on their shoulders. Quickly, they scuffled away, dragging the limp body along. The boy smiled, the amber suddenly disappearing into a soft violet. Well, glad that was over. He turned to walk away only to stop, realizing something. He walked toward the men, tapping on of them on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, sir," he said. The men turned to acknowledge him, shaking slightly from the weight of the body and fear. He extended his hand. "Someone has to pay for the damages."

They knew what he was talking about. Hinomaru had wrecked a table in the restaurant. But they didn't have to pay for it… When they made no move to take out their money, the boy's eyes became an intense violet, amber specks shining visibly under the shadow of his bangs.

They shivered. One of them finally took out a pouch, dropping it into the boy's hand. He snorted then trudged away with the other men while carrying the body. The boy still smiled, walking to the waitress with the money in. She watched him with widened eyes.

"My apologies, ma'am," he said. He handed the money to her. "The men have agreed to pay the damages. I'm terribly sorry for causing all this trouble."

She blinked. He bowed low. She blushed slightly. So polite! She smiled, giggling.

"No trouble at all!" she exclaimed. The boy stood straight, returning her smile with a smile of his own. He inclined his head once more, turning to walk down the street. She gasped, following him.

"Wait!" she called. He turned to face her.

"Yes?" he asked. She smiled.

"What is your name? I would like to the know the name of someone who saved me from those men…"

He laughed a bit, his violet eyes glowing happily. "Rae," he answered. "My name is Rae."

"Rae-san, thank you," she said again, bowing. He nodded and turned to walk away. Kenshin watched him go. Rae… so that was his name. Maybe that would help find out who he was.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_* _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

A/N: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SSSOOOO EVIL!!!! CLIFFIE!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

*suddenly becomes serious* Please R&R *flames appear in background* THIS IS NOT AN OPTION

^^ THANX!