Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Memories in Kyoto ❯ No More ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Inochi Ryuken:…I do not own Rurouni Kenshin…

Kenshin: It's better that way…

Hiko:…*shushes them* THE FICS STARTING…AND IT'S STARRING ME SO SHUT UP AND READ…

Inochi Ryuken: …what if I don't?

Hiko: I'LL HURT YOU.

Inochi Ryuken:…

Kenshin: …

Inochi Ryuken: WORKS FOR ME.

><><><><><><><>< ;><><><><><><><><><&g t;<><><><><><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><>

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No More

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Seijuro sat in his room. The sun had already set, dimming the city and the sky. It was now late evening, a time when most retire from reality and delve into dreams and sleep. A cool breeze cradled the inn in a refreshing embrace, whistling in the ears of its resting guests. He liked it. It was peaceful… almost reassuring.

He lay on his back, putting his hands behind his head. Now would be a good time just to sleep… His eyes drooped and closed. He felt his body loosen and relax. Tranquil darkness overtook him in its black and abyssal warmth. Just to sleep…

"HIKO-SAN!!!"

Seijuro jolted out of his slumber, sitting up quickly. The dark green iris of his pupils were isolated in the white of his eyes, wide and alert. He shifted his gaze to the opened door and the figure that stood in the doorway. It was Okami.

"Okami…?"

"HIKO-SAN! COME QUICK! TOMOE-SAN HAS FALLEN ILL!!!"

Seijuro jumped up. Okami led him down the hallway to Tomoe's room, sweat sliding down the deep grooves in her face. She slid the shoji door open and ran inside, slumping down beside her. Seijuro was right behind, stopping at the entrance of the room.

Tomoe's face was paler than in the afternoon. Her body was soaked with cold sweat, quivering under the covers. She no longer had lively eyes, only dull orbs of lifelessness. Okami held her hand and prayed to Kami.

"Tomoe!" Seijuro rushed to her side, kneeling.

Tomoe looked at him. He felt a shiver run up his spine. It was like…she had no soul. As if…she already ascended to heaven and was now just an empty shell.

"Hi…Hi…H-Hiko-san…"

He couldn't believe how her voice had changed. It wasn't her own anymore. It was…the voice of the dead.

She watched him with those eyes, those distant eyes. He felt helpless almost trapped within that faraway gaze. His body froze with fear at what he knew was to come.

"Please…" she rasped. "L-Let…me hold my baby…until…I sleep…"

A soft cry rose from the corner of the room. Seijuro's ears pricked up at the sound. A small bundle sat there, rocking back and forth in rhythm with the cries. Okami stood up quickly, rushing to the source of the soft whimpers. She quickly picked up the infant and returned to her place next to Tomoe, leaning over and placing Rae into her hands.

"Thank you…Okami-sama…" Tomoe held Rae in her arms, soothing her. She hummed a soft lullaby to her baby, soft and fading, one that would not last forever. A silver tear slid from her eye, landing upon the face of the newborn only to slide across her cheek and disappear into the bundle of cloth. Seijuro felt Tomoe's spirit dim with each passing second. Her life was draining so fast and yet…it lingered. It lingered on with the strength of motherhood; the responsibility to make sure that her baby would live; the feeling of happiness.

Her song grew fainter as she sang. Her voice seemed to echo upon the air, making it heavy with its ghostly words and harmony. The wind blew with her, carrying her withering voice across Kyoto, amongst the cherry blossoms that danced with her melody of sleep, to the wide, flowing rivers of peace that rippled as if mesmerized by an unseen force. The world seemed to come alive for that instant, that moment. This…was the essence of life.

Finally, the echoes of her phantom song ceased. Sleep washed over the cities, the country, the world; everything was tranquil. There was not even the cries of a baby in the small inn that stood in Kyoto. Only nothingness held the suddenly light air that swirled in that room.

Tomoe moved no more.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kenshin's shoulders slumped. His breathing was labored and slow, taking up the little energy that he had left. Sorrow engulfed his mind, his body, his very soul. He could only sit there in silence with no purpose; nothingness.

Seijuro watched him concernedly, tensing slightly. "Kenshin?"

His apprentice only watched the floor with wide, emotionless eyes that faded into voids of gray. They quivered slightly and never shined. He felt his mouth go dry and opened it slightly as if to say something. No words came out, only his shallow swallowing of hot air. His hair grew wet with his sweat and drooped over his face.

Seijuro now regretted his decision to tell Kenshin. He had no idea that it held so much…sadness. But…how…?

Kenshin felt his scar burn intensely and a trail of hot liquid slide down his cheek. It throbbed in stinging waves of fire that fixated on his cross-shaped mark that disfigured his face.

"Kenshin?"

><><><><><><><>< ;><><><><><><><><><&g t;<><><><><><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><>

Inochi Ryuken:…phew…done.

Hiko:…WHAT WAS THAT?!! IT WAS ALL ABOUT…BAKA DESHI!!!

Inochi Ryuken: …why else do you think the series is called "Rurouni Kenshin and not "Baka Hiko?" -_-

Hiko:…SAY. THAT. AGAIN.

Kenshin: ^^;; now…let's not fight…

Inochi Ryuken: ALRIGHT!!! THAT'S IT!!! ALL YOU PEOPLE READING THIS RIGHT NOW, START CLICKING THE BACK BUTTON CUZ IT'S ABOUT TO GET UGLY!!!

Hiko: ABOUT TO?! YOU HAVE BEEN!!

Inochi Ryuken and Hiko: *arguing in the background*

Kenshin: ^^;; oro…um… until next time!! Jya ne!!

Hiko: I'LL KILL YOU!!!

Inochi Ryuken: BRING IT ON OLD MAN!!!