Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Memories in Kyoto ❯ Her name is Rae ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Rurouni Kenshin will never be mine… no matter how many times I've threatened Shonen Jump and Nobuhiro with a bulldozer…

***********************************************

Inochi Ryu: HHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! ^^

Inuyasha: -_______________-++++

Inochi Ryu: *takes out remote and turns Inu into a chibi*

Inuyasha: o___________0

Inochi Ryu: o_0 KKKAAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!! *huggles chibi* ^^

Inuyasha: CAN'T… BREATHE… @~@

Inochi Ryu: *ssssssqqqqqquuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeee* ^____________^

Inuyasha: x_X *K.O.!*

Inochi Ryu: o_0 oops… *whistles and tosses half-dead Inu chibi to the side* er… REVIEW PEOPLES!!! ^^;;

**************************************************************** *****

*~*~*~*~*~*

Her name is Rae

*~*~*~*~*~*

Seijuro followed nervously, constantly thinking about what could be wrong. So wrong, that Tomoe had to send for him, a complete stranger who happened to save her 6 months ago. He frowned. What now? The noise of the inn seemed to fade as they walked deeper into the hallway.

"Hiko-san, she's in here," said Okami, stopping in front of the last shoji. Slowly, she slid open the door, stepping in. Seijuro followed without hesitation, closing the door. A small futon lay in the center of the room, little bits of suppressed sunlight shining upon the white fabric. It huddled a frail figure that lay in its covers, almost shrinking the life-form underneath. It was Tomoe.

She looked so weak and pale, unlike the Tomoe he had met only half a year ago. Her eyes were weary and seemed to want to close in eternal sleep, never to see the beauties of the world ever again. She smiled tiredly, a lifeless, drained smile yet a happy one.

Okami sat down on her knees next to her, putting her sweating palms in her lap. Seijuro sat down cautiously, thinking that the woman lying there could not possibly be Tomoe. He too placed his palms, in a fist, in his lap, his eyes softening.

"H-Hiko-sama," she whispered happily. "I'm so glad you came…"

Her voice was so soft, seeming to leave her body with every breath. He put on a smile so as not to show that he was afraid for the worst. His eyes held a deep worry for her, shining dimly in the light.

"Tomoe-dono…" His breath quivered as he spoke. "How are you?"

"I'm fine… as any mother should be," she answered, her smile growing even wider.

Seijuro's jaw dropped slightly, consistent with the widening of his eyes. Mother?

Tomoe sat up with difficulty, having Okami assist her. The futon folded at her lap, revealing something that Seijuro never thought he would see. A newborn baby.

White cloth wrapped it in a tight but comfortable bundle. Eyes were closed in peaceful rest, never fluttering or opening. Little hands were clamped together in a loose fist, occasionally fiddling with fingers.

Seijuro stared at it, almost lovingly, letting a real smile spread on his face. Tomoe held her baby close, caressing the baby fat that trimmed the face. Okami sighed happily, watching a mother and child.

"It's a girl," Tomoe told Seijuro. She nuzzled the baby's face, kissing her forehead.

"She's beautiful…" Seijuro whispered, brushing his calloused fingers against the newborn's face. She opened her eyes. Seijuro blinked in surprise. They were a deep violet, glowing vibrantly with curiosity and wonder. She grabbed one of his fingers with her two hands, wrapping around it and looking it at it oddly. He couldn't help but chuckle.

She let out a soft gurgling sound and shook it as if to say hello.

"She has a strong grip…" He told Tomoe. Stroking the baby's hair, his eyes deepened with anxiety. He swallowed. "What's her name?"

Tomoe cradled her baby, thinking thoughtfully. "I was thinking…"

Okami held her breath while Seijuro rolled his eyes. For women, naming a child was probably the most cherished moment ever. For him, it was drinking sake at the party afterwards.

"…Rae," she said triumphantly. "Yes, that's it. Rae."

"Oh! Tomoe-san! That's a wonderful name!" Okami squealed.

Seijuro grimaced. Rae? That was the stupidest thing he ever heard.

"RAE?" he asked, trying with much effort not to sound so displeased. "Erm…are you sure? I mean… She is a girl… " He paused, trying to think of a name at random. "Why not Fumi?"

Okami gave him a good punch in the arm. He let out a soft groan. For an old woman… she's got a heck of a right hook…

"No…" Tomoe smiled. "Rae. It's perfect." She tickled Rae's nose, hearing the baby giggle, and squirm in the cloth that wrapped around her. Seijuro sighed in defeat. Well…Rae wasn't too bad. He chuckled softly, rubbing the back of his head. Guess this wasn't an emergency after all.

"Okami-sama…" Tomoe began. "May I speak with Hiko-sama…alone?"

Seijuro stiffened. Okami nodded slowly, standing up and walking out of the room. So much for it not being an emergency…

"Hiko-sama…"

The man looked at her strangely, shifting uncomfortably. He cleared his throat. "What was it that you needed to speak to me about?"

Her eyes dulled. Seijuro watched her worriedly, noticing her skin grow pale. She sighed. "I won't…be staying in this world for much longer…"

His eyes widened. "You mean----?"

She nodded sadly. "Rae won't have anyone to care for her. I'm not sure how long I have before I move on… Okami…She has offered but… she grows older by the day…" she explained. Her eyes rested on Seijuro, pleadingly.

He stayed silent for a while, clenching and unclenching his fists. "I see…"

Tomoe looked down at her daughter. "My family…wouldn't take her…" The auburn in her eyes shined with unshed tears. "She is… a forbidden child…"

Seijuro gritted his teeth. Did it matter? Rae is still a child… He nodded in understanding. "…What do you wish for me to do?"

She paused in silence, only watching Rae close her eyes. "Please…" Tomoe looked up at him. "Take her as your own…"

He swallowed the lump that grew in his throat. Him? Take care of a child? "But I---"

"Please, Hiko-sama…" she pleaded, holding Rae close to her. "You're all she may ever have…"

…all she may ever have… He heaved a thoughtful sigh. Should he?

"Okami-sama has agreed to take care of her until…" Tomoe never finished her sentence.

Seijuro narrowed his eyes. Okami… She was going to take care of Rae until…she couldn't anymore. He remained silent.

"After Okami-sama… well…Rae won't have anyone to take care of her…" she whispered. "I just want her to have a good life---"

"Alright."

Tomoe's eyes widened with astonishment. "Wh-What---?"

Seijuro looked at the floor. "I accept."

She smiled and let happy tears run down her face. "Thank you…Hiko-sama."

He only nodded, shifting his gaze to the baby that now lay fast asleep. How though? He was in no position to be taking care of a child…

The door to the shoji slid open, startling Seijuro. It was Okami.

"Hiko-san… Tomoe-san needs her rest. If you will…" she requested.

He stood obediently, saying his good-byes to Tomoe and walking out. Okami led him down the hallway to the front yard of the inn.

"Did you accept Hiko-sama?" she asked suddenly.

"…yes," Seijuro replied. "Tomoe-dono told me that you have decided to take care of Rae…until…" he trailed off.

Both walked out onto the porch of the inn, Okami looking at the dormant Sakura trees. The old innkeeper nodded, her face wrinkling into a smile. She sighed, almost half-heartedly. "I'm old, Hiko-sama," she stated simply, sitting down onto the porch. "I won't be staying here for much longer. I won't deny it."

Seijuro leaned against one of the wooden poles that supported the roof of the inn. Okami merely chuckled.

"But I'm not too old to take care of another child…at least, until she comes of age," she told him proudly. Her old eyes watched the pond and its glimmering ripples. "Hiko-sama…" She met his eyes. "I don't want you to wait until I die to take care of her."

He cocked an eyebrow. "Meaning…?"

"Meaning…that I expect you to come every month or so to check up on her," she answered. "I doubt that she will go with a complete stranger."

Seijuro grimaced at this. The old lady's got a point.

"Tomoe and I are depending on you to raise Rae properly for both of us have a short time here." Okami stood, slipping her hands inside the sleeves of her yukata. She began to walk inside. "May Kami-sama be with you…"

Seijuro was left outside to stare at the courtyard, hoping that Kami-sama was watching over him and Rae.

**************************************************************** ********

Inochi Ryu: PHEW… DONE! ^_^

Inu: *sweatdrops* …you had us wait for over a year…FOR THAT?!!

Inochi Ryu:…WOW LOOK AT THE TIME!!! *whoosh*

Inu: COME BACK HERE!!!

Inochi Ryu: *running away from Inu* OKAY WELL *pant* UNTIL *pant* NEXT TIME!!! *pant*

Inu: THERE ISN'T GONNA BE A NEXT TIME FOR YOU!!!

Inochi Ryu: GAH!!! R&R!!! AND CALL 911 WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!!!