Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Memories in Kyoto ❯ There and Back Again ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin. So there.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Inochi Ryu: Hey again! ^^

Inuyasha: Why do you always bring me into your stupid assistant/author notes?

Inochi Ryu: Well… I could always bring in Fluffy.

Inuyasha: Fluffy?

Sesshomaru: *twitch* EXCUSE *twitch* ME?

Inochi Ryu: *thinks* You would think that a demon would have good hearing…

Sesshomaru: *FLAMES*

Inochi Ryu: Is it just me or is it getting hot in here?

Inuyasha: It's just you.

Inochi Ryu: Thought so. REVIEW PEOPLES!!!

*************************************************************** *************************************************************************** *****************

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

There and Back Again

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next morning, Seijuro had woken up early. It had become a habit for him, waking up at the crack of dawn. Usually, he liked to loosen his muscles before the trip back home. He put on his training gi, sliding his sword into his thin obi. He took his things, which were stuffed in a compact bag. Quietly, he slid the alternate shoji door, stepping outside to the dim courtyard. The sun had barely risen, casting a dark shadow of the high wall that surrounded the inn. He breathed in the cold, morning air, his nose hurting slightly from the bitter cold. He ignored it, only walking to the tree he had sat under the day before. Bending over, he stretched his arms and legs, practicing first with no sword, only moving his hands as if he were holding one. Then, drawing the blade and repeating the movements with weapon at hand. In the morning, his ears were sensitive, prone to perk up at the slightest sound. They did so now, stopping him. His eyes moved to two figures that just slid the front shoji door, stepping out. He narrowed his eyes. They were the men from yesterday.

At first, he pretended to take no notice, continuing his daily practice. They both in fact did the same, only sitting on the porch that faced the entrance instead of the one facing Seijuro's direction. That man had given them a scare and they didn't want to have anything to do with him. One of them took a small sake bottle with them, pouring him and his partner a drink. Seijuro grimaced. Okay, he liked sake but not so early in the morning. That wasn't his primary concern. He paused, thinking. There would be no guarantee that Tomoe would be safe when he left. Sure, they were scared now and didn't come within 10 feet of her but it might change as soon as he set foot out of the exit. No, he would not let that happen and he knew just how to do it.

"GOOOOOD MORNING!!!" he greeted, causing both of the men to literally jolt upright. He chuckled, trying not to burst out in laughter. One of them had his hand to his chest, panting with wide eyes. The other was trying not to scream by biting his lip.

"Sorry!!! Did I SCARE you?!" Seijuro asked, his voice raising an octave. If you didn't know better, you would've said that he was crazy. His eyes had changed to an emerald jade, flashing wildly. They quivered under his untamed yet focused gaze, taking extra sips of sake to calm their nerves. Seijuro smirked widely, waving his finger in their faces.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now you shouldn't drink sake so early in the morning! I'm a sake freak myself but I always drink one cup of tea! It's good for your health!" he stated, talking quite loudly. They cringed under every word, trying to pretend that Seijuro wasn't there or in fact, didn't exist. Seijuro smiled wickedly, knowing that they were getting annoyed. It wasn't the `annoyed' annoyed but the scared-half-to-death annoyed. He liked it. But… he had to leave soon so he had to get his message across. Quickly, he grabbed the sake bottle, receiving surprised looks. He shook his head mockingly and jumped off the porch, landing on the dirt ground. They watched with terrified curiosity, both making weak protests.

"Hey!" one them said, his voice not as loud as it would have normally been if he had been dealing with a less frightening man. Seijuro paid no heed, merely shrugging. He threw the bottle in the air. Swiftly, he drew his sword in a flash of light. All time seemed to stop for a brief moment, the ceramic bottle hanging in mid-air. Fear flashed across the faces of the onlookers, their voices silent. Seijuro too stood still, his sword in the after-pose of his drawing of the blade. The bottle cracked. Precious sake spilled onto the ground in heavy drops, running between small pebbles and eventually, sinking down into the earth.

"That's better!" he exclaimed, smiling. He sheathed his sword, sealing it with a soft click. He snickered, walking up to them once again. He laughed, projecting his voice in echoes. They shuffled, backing away from his advancing figure. He put his hands on each of their shoulders. His laughter ceased suddenly as he leaned in, his eyes glowing menacingly.

"If I find one hair on Tomoe's head out of place, I'm going to chop you up so bad, your mothers won't recognize you," he hissed. They screamed inwardly, knowing that if they made a sound, Seijuro would do something… I dunno… BAD?!! All they could do was listen to his threats and nod vigorously. He let a small smile creep up his face, pushing them back as he let go.

"Good… I'm glad we understand each other," he said in a surprisingly cheerful voice. He stood, still watching both of them with intense eyes. Turning, he strolled to the exit, feeling the air become warmer. The courtyard glowed in an orange light, the pond water shimmering as the Koi hid in the shadow of the rocks, hiding from the rising sun. He sighed, reaching the front gate. He faced the men again and smiled, waving to them. Hesitantly, they waved back, putting on fake smiles. He ambled out and down the street, enjoying the tranquil mist that seemed to hang above Kyoto. That wasn't so hard. He snickered, savoring his victory. Yep, they wouldn't mess with Tomoe anymore. He slowed, his smile fading into a frown. Still… he hoped Tomoe would be okay.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kenshin emitted a growl from his throat, the violet in his eyes dissolving into amber once again.

"YOU JUST LEFT HER THERE?" he asked, his voice rising with pure rage. "WITH THOSE BAST---" Kenshin stopped himself from finishing. "MEN?"

Seijuro narrowed his eyes. Kenshin was pissed. Well, the amber eyes were enough but he thought it was just to get him to talk. No… it was something more. He wondered what. It intrigued him greatly, seeing how Kenshin was reacting. His stupid apprentice, even when he saw him four years ago, said nothing about his life as the Battousai. He would like to know more about how Kenshin had spent his teen years… and if it was worth it.

"Kenshin, let me finish," Seijuro answered. "When I left, I thought it would be the last time I would see her… but I was so wrong. So very, very wrong."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Seijuro sat in his house, drinking sake again. He sighed contently, leaning back against a wooden frame of the door of his shoji. He was care-free now… almost. His mind always went back to events that happened over 5 months ago. He always remembered that woman he saved… Yukishiro Tomoe. He wondered if she was alright. He wondered if those men had gotten close to her even though he had threatened them by slicing their sake bottle in half. Unknowingly, he smiled. Oh, yeah. That was something he wouldn't forget. But then… He furrowed his brow, putting his hand to his chin. Wait… If he met Tomoe about 6 months ago, then when would she have the baby? Tamura didn't mention how long she was pregnant for. So… how long would it be?

A knock came at the door. Rolling his eyes at the sudden interruption of his thoughts, he stood and went to answer it. He opened it, finding a young man with a strapped box over his shoulder. He quirked an eyebrow. A mailman?

"A letter for Hiko Seijuro," he stated. Seijuro just nodded as the man placed the box on the floor and opened it. After shuffling through the many letters that were stuffed carelessly inside, he picked one and handed it to Seijuro.

"Here you are, sir," he said, swinging the box over his shoulder. "Good day." And with that, he ran down the street into the mountains towards Edo.

Seijuro looked at the letter curiously, carefully opening it. He unfolded the paper inside, quickly skimming its contents.

Dear Hiko-sama,

I am deeply indebted to you and cannot repay you, but I have to ask for your kindness once again. Please, come to the inn. I have a favor to ask of you.

Forever in your debt,

Yukishiro Tomoe

Seijuro swallowed nervously as he crumpled up the letter and went inside. What now? Did something happen? Such questions rushed through his mind as he packed some spare clothes in his bag, tying the string and swinging it over his shoulder. He would find answers later. Right now, he needed to get to the inn.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

He sped down the dirt path through the mountains, thinking of nothing but Tomoe. Was she okay? What had happened? Was it bad? He clenched his teeth at the many questions that popped up with no answers. He leapt up, flying over a low boulder that blocked the way. Everything became simultaneous, almost repetitive. Jump. Land. Run. Jump. Land. Run. He was growing impatient. He took a swig of sake before speeding up, causing dirt to rise from the ground. Things moved quicker, passing him in blurs. In the distance, he saw the distorted shapes of buildings. He smirked. Bingo.

Going out in a full sprint, he reached Kyoto in a matter of minutes, barely visible through the clouds of dust that rolled upward with the wind. The residents there gawked at him, stunned by his sudden appearance. He panted slightly. He hadn't run like that for quite a while. Not since his last meeting with Tomoe. Slowly, he walked to the inn, recognizing the surroundings. Koi still swam among the crystal waters of the ponds. There was still a light breeze. The sounds of laughter and the clink of sake cups filled the air. Chatter echoed in a loud din. Yes… still the same. The only thing that had changed was the Sakura trees. They were not in bloom. He rolled his eyes at the obvious answer. It was early spring.. Duh. He just shook his head at his denseness and walked to the front door of the inn. He let himself in, moving to the front table inside. His eyes rested upon a familiar face. He smiled.

Okami stood at the table, scribbling down some notes while telling some of the girls that worked there to go bring sake to this room and go clean up that room. She looked much older but her spirit still the same. She looked up to see him and her eyes went immediately wide.

"Hiko-san?!" she asked in disbelief. "Good Kami-sama, you've come!" She moved around the table, shaking his hand with both of hers. She looked up to the ceiling. "Thank you." Her eyes moved back to him. "Please! Right this way."

She turned down a hallway with Seijuro walking briskly behind her.

*************************************************************** *************************************************************************** *****************

Inochi Ryu: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCLLLLLLLIIIIIFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inuyasha: -_-

Sesshomaru: *twitch*

Inochi Ryu: Don't worry though, I'm starting on Chappie 11 *winks* SO BE SURE TO REVIEW THIS ONE FIRST!!! ^^

Sesshomaru: *mutter mutter*

Inuyasha: Stupid Inochi…