Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Fit ❯ A Lot Can Happen In A Day ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Perfect Fit

Disclaimer: Rurouni Kenshin and all it's characters do not belong to me. I am just borrowing them for a little while.

A/N: This is second RK fan fiction. Also set in AU. I noticed that there're a lot of people who like Aoshi/Kaoru and there's really not a lot of A/K out there so I'm dedicating this one to those lovable characters. If you guys know any good A/K stories please tell me because I like reading `em as much as the K/K ones. /Hehehe/ ;-P

Pairings: this is sort of a love triangle between Kenshin, Kaoru and Aoshi…with the others thrown in the mix. ^_^

Premise: They inhabit a life of leisure and luxury. Kaoru Kamiya loves Kenshin Himura, but she's not sure about how he really feels about her. A boy comes, he is dark, brooding and mysterious and Kaoru finds herself thrown into situations where she has to spend time with him and gets to know him better.

Reminder: In Japan there are three levels in high school; freshman, junior and senior. Freshmen are mostly sixteen year olds and so on…

 

Chapter One: A Lot Can Happen In A Day

 

 

"Did you know that there's a new guy in school?"

"A new guy?" Kaoru asked distractedly as her eyes scanned the cafeteria for Kenshin. She'd dropped by his classroom but he'd already gone. She had brought a bento box to share with him in what she hoped would be in intimate picnic of sorts for the two of them. She didn't cook it of course. She didn't want Kenshin or herself to die of food poisoning.

The cook at the Kamiya House had taken care of the preparations.

Not that she didn't try to offer her help but Cook had realized long enough that even though her young mistress loved good food, she wasn't very good at making them.

"Yeah, I passed by him at the hallway on my way over here. He was coming out of the Guidance Counselor's office. He was really cute and…" Misao pouted, noticing her friend's distraction. "Are you looking for Kenshin?" the younger girl inquired.

"Uh…yeah. I brought lunch for him."

Misao burst out laughing. "Maybe that's why you can't find him. He's hiding from you."

Kaoru rolled her eyes. "It wasn't my fault he got sick the last time I cooked for him." Kaoru's ineptitude at cooking was a long-standing source of hilarity for her friends. "Besides, Cook prepared this lunch. She won't even let me come near the kitchen anymore."

"I don't really blame her. Not after that poisonous disaster you concocted. Kenshin's so nice he forced himself to finish the whole serving even though it tasted ghastly." Misao continued, remembering. "He's just so nice sometimes. Too nice, I think."

"That's probably because you yourself aren't very nice, that's why he seems so nice to you," Kaoru teased the younger girl to get her back for making fun of her cooking skills.

"Ha! I am nice," Misao declared with her usual aplomb. "In fact I'm so nice I'll even help you finish off that big lunch you had prepared," she said eyeing the huge bento box. "Do you swear that you didn't make that yourself?"

Kaoru huffed. "I didn't…I didn't…" she insisted as she cast one glance around the cafeteria once more.

"If you want to find him so much, why don't you just call him on his cell?" Misao suggested, taking the bento from Kaoru and starting to head for the courtyard within their school.

Toyotama Private School was located in one of the most affluent districts in Japan and is one of the most expensive schools in the country, as well as one of the largest. The school was well know for its unique integration of all four level of learning from Elementary, Junior-High, High School to University in one huge campus. Within the campus was a large courtyard with trees, gazebos, fountains, picnic tables, flower beds, benches and statues, there was even a playground for the elementary students to play in, complete with swing-sets and monkey bars.

It was virtually a perfect spot to hang out and eat lunch in.

"I tried but he's so absentminded sometimes I think he left it at home," Kaoru said with a sigh as she followed Misao. "So what was this you were telling me about the new guy you saw?"

Misao shook her head, "Never mind…I think you have to see him to believe it."

 

OOOOO

 

"Wow! That sure was a great lunch," Sanosuke declared as he collapsed on the grassy ground of the courtyard. He, like a lot of the other students, liked eating lunch there because it was much more relaxing than just sitting around inside the cafeteria. Sanosuke folded his hands under his head and squinted up at the white, fluffy clouds drifting lazily in the clear blue sky. "Not bad, Megumi."

Megumi was in the middle of urging Kenshin to take more rice balls. She arched an eyebrow at Sanosuke, "If I had known you'd be joining Ken-san and me, I would have prepared a special lunch for you."

"That nice of you," Sanosuke said, surprised. Usually, Megumi declared that she'd rather die than do him any favors. Okay…so maybe it was his fault because he continually called her a fox but really if you looked closely, she kind of did. Besides, Sanosuke thought foxes were cute so what was the big deal anyway?

"I'd even sprinkle a special ingredient just for you."

Kenshin was noticing the naughty light dancing in Megumi's eyes and he knew she was up to something.

Sanosuke lifted himself up by the elbows and glanced at Megumi, "Really, what's that?"

"Rat poison."

"Very funny Fox Face."

"Chicken Head…"

As the quiet meal degenerated into a farce, Kenshin found himself wondering how Kaoru was.

Kenshin had met Kaoru two years ago when he'd moved in with his guardian Seijuuro Hiko whose house was right next door to Kaoru's. Kaoru had been in junior high then and Kenshin was starting as a freshman in high school. Now after two years, he was a senior and Kaoru a junior and he had developed a strong fondness for her. The two of them mostly ate lunch together along with their other friends. Today wouldn't have been any different if Megumi hadn't come up to Kenshin and invited him for a private picnic. Normally Kenshin would have declined and asked Megumi to join him and the others instead, but Sanosuke had been there and his friend had insisted he accept Megumi's offer.

"I'm sick of the food they're serving in the cafeteria anyway…" Sanosuke had said.

"I made this food to share with Ken-san alone," Megumi protested, frowning at Sanosuke. Megumi Takani was, by far, one of the prettiest girls in Toyotama Private School and she knew it. So even though Sanosuke was one of the school's athletic heroes (he was the captain of the football and basketball team) and a known heartthrob, she had no qualms letting him know that his presence wasn't desired.

"That's fine, I'm sure Kenshin won't mind sharing his portion with me," Sanosuke said, throwing an arm around the redhead and grinning at Megumi.

The girl glowered at him and Sanosuke glared right back.

"Well Megumi-san, Sanosuke is right, I really don't mind sharing…" Kenshin hedged.

Megumi's demeanor became one of sweet affability as she looked at Kenshin, "Oh that's okay Ken-san you won't have to share with Sano, we can share my portion," Megumi smiled had smiled at Kenshin and tugged him forward, Sanosuke trailing after them.

 

OOOOO

 

He walked in an immediately had everyone's attention.

The first thing they noticed was his size. He was tall with a lean athletic build, his muscles well defined but not bulky. Even his school uniform couldn't quite hide that fact.

And then they noticed the hair falling over his eyes, framing a face that was almost beautiful in a way. It had an almost feminine slant to it but the cold grace and elegance of his sculpted features had a decidedly masculine appeal.

His eyes were deep blue that were partially hidden by his dark bangs. It was rather hard to read his expression not only because his hair obscured his eyes but also because his features were arranged like an indifferent mask.

There was a dark brooding energy about him, like he had his own personal chill factor, a cold wind that slapped everyone awake just by his mere presence.

 

Aoshi scanned the crowded cafeteria and not for the first time did he wish that he were anywhere but there. At least at his old school people knew him well enough to know he didn't take to being stared at.

At least not so brazenly

He could feel people's eyes trained at him, like little needles poking at his skin. What was so damned interesting anyway? Didn't they have better things to do?

Didn't they know it was rude?

He considered just turning around and ditching lunch, but he was hungry. He sighed and grabbed a tray. This was going to be a long day.

 

OOOOO

 

Misao and Kaoru had just finished a big lunch and were headed back for the High School building when they spotted Sanosuke's unmistakable spiked hair. He was Kenshin's best friend and could normally be seen with the redhead.

"Oi Sano," Misao called out as she and Kaoru hurried after him.

Sanosuke heard them and turned, stopping to wait for the two. "What's up?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Did you see where Kenshin went? I didn't see him at lunch." Kaoru said.

"Sure. Last time I left him, he was with Megumi. She made this picnic thing for him." Sanosuke said rolling his eyes.

There was no change in Kaoru's expression but Misao noticed that the older girl transferred the bento boxes behind her so Sanosuke wouldn't notice.

"Are you sure?" Misao asked Sanosuke.

"Sure I'm sure, I was there." Sano shrugged. "The food wasn't so bad either. At least it was edible, not like you're cooking Kaoru…" Sano laughed good-naturedly.

Kaoru's eyes narrowed her temper igniting and she tapped him on the head with her open palm.

"Hey!" Sano protested, feeling his skull for a bump. After so many years of friendship, it was like a ritual for them now. Sano would tease her and Kaoru usually whacked him on the head with her palm. The thing was that Kaoru had always been strong for a girl. Even when they had been little kids and she used to chase him around when he teased her or that stupid wooden stick she practiced with. "That hurt you know! I could sustain permanent brain-damage and become a retard or something…"

"How would we even know the difference Sano?" Kaoru shot back.

Sano rolled his eyes. "As much as I like being beaten up by you, I have to go. I'll see you guys later." He threw them a back wave as he jogged off.

Misao and Kaoru watched after him, silent.

Misao spoke up after a while. "I'm sure Kenshin doesn't feel anything special about Megumi. You know him. He's always so nice to everyone, he probably just didn't have the heart to say no. Besides, Sano was there so…"

Kaoru smiled, "It's okay Misao. I know Kenshin doesn't have special feelings for Megumi. He treats every girl with the same courtesy…"

"So why did you hide the bento boxes from Sano? You should let Kenshin know that you brought him a picnic today…I'm sure he'll make it up to you…" Misao said. It was so frustrating sometimes. It was obvious her two friends cared about each other…so what were they waiting for anyway?

"I'm sure he will but…" Kaoru started walking. "I just don't want to make him feel bad. That's all."

 

OOOOO

 

"Hey I saw Himura-san with Megumi by the courtyard…"

"Really? I always thought Megumi was Sanosuke's sort of girlfriend…"

"I don't know about that but Kenshin-san is with Kaoru…right?"

A sigh. "Isn't it amazing? If she marries Himura-san, they'll have the same initials."

"I think Sano-kun is much cuter than Himura. He's taller and much more athletic…"

"I think they're both good-looking! It's good that they're best friends so we always see them together!"

Giggles.

"Don't you think Megumi-san is prettier than Kaoru though?"

"I don't! Kaoru-chan is pretty too and she's much easier to get along with."

"How would you know? Are you two close friends?"

"She just seems nicer, that's all…and she's very good at kendo."

"That's a guy's sport. Megumi-san looks more mature and is more refined that Kaoru…"

"So?"

"She is not!"

 

Aoshi stifled the edge to roll his eyes as he finished off his lunch and stood up to deposit the tray.

Gossip

He really hated it. It was a waste of time and a waste of energy.

It was useless, really.

He had been the topic of a few gossip topics himself and he'd hated the attention people he didn't even know personally were directing at his life.

He walked to the hallway leading to the Guidance Counselor's office because the woman had told him to come back so they arrange a class schedule for him. The hallway was still relatively empty the one hour of lunch break still not up yet.

A girl with a long ponytail walked passed him and he was disconcerted to realize that she smelled like lavender and lilacs. He glanced at her briefly but only caught a brief impression of her face.

 

OOOOO

 

Misao was thinking about what Kaoru had said as she walked back to her classroom.

 

"I just don't want to make him feel bad. That's all…"

 

She noticed Himura standing between a gaggle of girls who were giggling and flirting with him.

Kenshin looked decidedly ill at ease at all the attention he was receiving but he didn't tell the girls to leave him alone.

He's too nice sometimes…Misao thought to herself. She could understand why the girls liked him. He was gorgeous, almost beautiful in fact with his long titian hair and violet eyes. The X-mark scar on his cheek was actually quite dashing. Kenshin was of average height for a Japanese guy, he wasn't exceptionally tall but he was actually taller than most girls. It was just that Sanosuke was so large and he was always with Kenshin that Kenshin sometimes seemed smaller.

It didn't make his presence any less palpable though.

It didn't detract from his appeal.

"H-hai, arigato…" she heard Kenshin say, laughing embarrassedly as a girl presented him with a gift.

How did Kaoru take it? Having her guy fawned over by everyone. If Misao had been Kaoru, she would have marked Kenshin as her territory and forbidden any girl to get close to him. Well…girls with romantic intentions anyway.

It was so obvious that he and Kaoru cared for each other. The only times Kenshin had ever seemed been truly comfortable had been when he was with Kaoru. He cared about Kaoru...Misao could see it. Most everyone at school sort of half-expected them to end up together. So what was he waiting for?

She started to march over to Kenshin to give him a piece of her mind.

And then she remembered what Kaoru had said.

"I don't want to make him feel bad…that's all…"

Misao bit her lip and sighed before turning away. If she ever fell in love, she'd make good and sure to tell the guy her true feelings. She'd broadcast it to the world, even. It was just too complicated if you waited for things to happen on their own.

And then she thought about the new guy again a shiver running down her spine at his image. She wondered what his name was and when she would see him again.

 

OOOOO

 

Kaoru blinked and tried to force herself to focus on what the teacher was saying.

The mathematics teacher was droning on and on about things she knew she probably would not use in the future anyway.

It's not like she wanted to be an accountant or a businesswoman or anything…

It must be why her brain rebelled at learning it.

Hmmm…that's good. I should remember that and use it as an explanation when my father complains about my grades…

It wasn't really because Kaoru was slow or stupid. Her teachers actually lamented the fact that she got merely average grades for science and mathematics when her aptitude was tested at an above-average level.

It was mostly because her interests lie elsewhere and she couldn't quite force herself to exert any more effort than was actually necessary in order to pass…

Kaoru's pen made a slight rapping noise as she absent-mindedly tapped it against her notebook. She was zoning out again her mind wandering…

What did Kenshin think of her exactly?

She knew he liked her…but did he like her in that way?

Or perhaps he didn't like her at all.

It was hard to tell because Kenshin seemed to like everyone. He was nice to everybody.

But that was what she loved about him…right?

His good nature, his inability to tolerate cruelty towards others…

That was why she often felt conflicted. She loved it that Kenshin seemed to love the entire world…

But sometimes she wished that he would love only her.

Suddenly, the teacher stopped talking and the very silence managed to get Kaoru out of her reverie.

Uh-oh…did I do something wrong…?

Thankfully, the teacher was looking at the entrance of the classroom. There was a boy standing there a bit sullenly.

Oh gosh…he's gorgeous…was Kaoru's first thought.

And then…He looks kind of tough…and cold…

The boy bowed before entering and gave the teacher slip of paper, which Mr. Minami read. "Ah, so you're Aoshi Shinomori, the transfer student."

The guy was silent, waiting patiently.

His very stillness seemed to disconcert even the math teacher who pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and cleared his throat. "Okay then…take a seat at the back of the class over there next to Kamiya."

Kaoru sat up straighter and glanced at the empty seat beside her. "Minami sensei…that's Tae's seat…" Tae Seikihara was Kaoru's best friend and she liked having her as a seatmate.

"Well Seikihara isn't here is she?" Mr. Minami retorted. "Shinomori will sit there for today and we'll just have an extra seat brought for him tomorrow. That is, if it's all right with you, Kamiya-san?" the teacher asked a little sarcastically.

Some of her classmates snickered and Kaoru felt her cheeks flame in embarrassment. "Hai sensei…"

Aoshi took the seat beside her, folding his body gracefully into the wooden chair.

Kaoru glanced at him discreetly. Up close, he was even more stunning than she had originally thought. There was something clean about him. Like waking up on a crisp winter day and inhaling the pure scent of snow.

It was kind of ideal since like snow, he seemed cold as well.

Her eyes widened slightly, "Oh my goodness, this is Misao's new guy…"

 

OOOOO

 

He could smell jasmine.

It was very subtle but it floated over to him nonetheless.

Why was she looking at him anyway?

It wasn't like he wanted to sit beside her.

"Okay now I want you to spend the remainder of this class working on problems three up until problem nine, put your answer in a piece of paper. Work with your seatmates if you have trouble…" Minami-sensei announced as he retreated behind his desk. "You will pass the paper to me at the end of the class and it will be a graded seatwork."

Aoshi picked up a pencil and looked down at the workbook he'd just bought. This was way too easy. He'd already taken it up before in school.

"Mou…sumimasen…"

Aoshi looked up and glanced at his seatmate.

"Anou…I'm sorry about what happened a while ago. It's not that I have anything against you or anything like that…" she blushed, "I'm, it was just that…I was surprised. That was all."

Aoshi's brow knitted a little. What was she talking about?

"You know, when sensei told you to take a seat there and I said it was Tae seat…"

One dark brow rose incredulously. She was apologizing for that? It wasn't a big deal and it's not as if his feelings were hurt or anything.

"I'm not usually so rude…" she continued.

"Its fine."

Kaoru was in the middle of a long and winded apology to hear what he'd said.

"It's fine," Aoshi mumbled again.

Kaoru blinked and nodded. "Okay…" she tried to smile at him but he was staring down at his book again.

Okay, so he won't be winning any Mr. Congeniality contest…she thought to herself as she looked down at her own workbook. Still she couldn't help but peek at him one last time.

What a strange guy.

 

OOOOO

 

A/N: I'm not really that satisfied with this chapter…anyways it's just an introduction to the characters. This is going to be one of those teenage angst things I love so well. Please tell me what you think neh? Thank you!

 

 

 

So is kaoru really different from before? Was she more graceful and stuff back all those years ago. I was wondering what everyone would think about this 'new' Kaoru. I can't wait till aoshi sees kenshin with kaoru. I wonder what will happen? Like i have said many times before, I love your story, and I hope you update soon! Will kaoru ever go back to the spirit world?? Oh yeah I have a question...is Heaven(like where God is) is that a different place then where aoshi and Kaoru use to live, or is it the same. And can Kaoru really died, i mean like for good, and go to heaven? Sorry that question has been plaguing me like forvever. Please email me or answer me in your next chapter ( if you have the time). I can't wait for what happens next. KK 4ever, lol! You are a great writer, again? You must be getting tired og my praise, so i'll go now. Salut!

 

 

And I hope my other stories as well.