Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Prisoner of War ❯ Selfish ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The last line of the last chapter was supposed to remind you that, although we want Kenshin and Kaoru together, they are still doing the wrong thing. Here we go!

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))

Kenshin awoke to the feeling of warm softness around him. He smiled as he opened his eyes and met Kaoru's shining down at him. Sunlight was streaming into the room making everything bright and beautiful. Kenshin closed his eyes again satisfied that he was not dreaming and pressed himself closer to her. The feel of her smooth breast against his unblemished cheek and the sound of her heart steadily beating in his ear made him forget, at least for the moment, the horrors of his existence. He rubbed his face on her like a kitten begging for attention. She giggled, and he responded by repeating the action. Her hands came to his hair and spread through it. Over the time he had known her, the action had become a comforting, loving gesture. They were silent for a while just enjoying each other's company. The only sounds were their breathing and the whispers of her fingers in his hair.

"Kenshin?"

"Mm?" She giggled as his reply vibrated against her.

"When was the last time you felt like this?" He lifted his eyes to hers. How wonderful and innocent she seemed to him despite the bruises that ornamented her body. He did not hesitate with his answer.

"Never, Kaoru. I have never in my life been this happy." She lifted his face to hers and kissed him.

"Neither have I." Kenshin settled back against her. He felt as if time had stopped. It was only the two of them in a stationary world. He could have just lain there forever in her arms. But time slows for no man, and quickly he found himself bolting upright. Over the breathing, the whispers, and the steady beating of her heart, he had heard another sound. He grabbed his hakama and hastily tied them. He threw Kaoru's yukata at her.

"What is it Kenshin?" Her face was twisted with worry.

"Someone's coming." She pulled on her clothes and watched as he rooted around her room for a weapon.

"Something, anything. Isn't your husband a swordsman? Where are his swords?"

"He took them with him. Kenshin are you planning to kill him? I thought that you weren't killing anymore." He turned to face her.

"I'm not. I just need to protect you. I would die if anything happened to you." Kenshin finally settled on a floor lamp. He grabbed it and held with spread legs in front of him like a sword. Kaoru kneeled behind him, her head barely peeking out beside his thigh. They listened to the sound of footsteps coming down the hall.

"Don't worry, Kaoru. No one will ever hurt you while I'm around." The door to her room slid open, and the lamp crashed to the floor. Kaoru felt stuck in the gaze of the eyes staring down at her. She suddenly became very aware of her and Kenshin's appearance. Her yukata was wrinkled and being held together with her hand instead of a tie. Kenshin's hair was loose and the only thing covering him was his white hakama. He was nearly bare for those eyes. Kaoru felt anger rising within her.

"Well, this is not what I expected to find." Megumi stepped carefully over the broken lamp and gingerly picked up the discarded pink gi. She gently handed it to Kenshin and watched as he slipped it on.

"What do you want, Megumi?" Kaoru glared at her as she fixed her yukata.

"I came to bring the Battousai back to the hospital. I checked in this morning and he wasn't there. I thought you would have been smart enough to send him back. So, I told the guards that I kept him overnight." Kenshin felt hands wrap around his leg. He looked down at his new lover as she pressed her head against him.

"You can't have him. Why should I give him to you?" She spat the words at the doctor.

"If you don't want any more of those bruises, you should let him go." Kaoru's eyes softened. She looked up at the worried face above her then back at the woman watching her.

"Megumi."

"I know it hurts, but it will hurt more if he gets killed. If you don't let him go, his blood will be on your hands." Kaoru's grip tightened. She shook her head.

"You are a selfish little girl! Would you really risk his life for your happiness?" Kaoru felt tears well up in her eyes. She didn't understand how things could have changed so quickly. Minutes before, she had been happier than any other time in her life.

"But he's, he's." She buried her face in the material of his hakama.

"He's what, Kaoru?"

"He's mine. He belongs to me." She regretted the words as soon as they left her mouth. She let out a sob as she felt Kenshin stiffen in her arms. She had claimed him before, but she had never professed ownership.

"Your Kenshin? Yours? Where do you get off saying that? If he's anybody's, he's Kyoto's. Let him go!" Kaoru didn't hear her words. She was looking teary eyed at the red head she had made love to the previous night. There was an aura of sadness about him. She clung to him. She pled with him.

"I'm so sorry! That's not what I meant, Kenshin. You know that's not what I meant!" His voice was soft and even.

"I know, Miss Kaoru."

"Oh God, Kenshin, please don't call me that."

"What have you done? Look at what you've done to him!" Kaoru let go of his leg and stood. She wrapped her arms around him and sobbed into his shoulder. Her voice was choked as she apologized over and over. Slowly his arms slid around her waist. He clutched her close.

"It's okay, Kaoru. I don't ever want to be the reason you cry." She broke from his embrace and ran to her dresser. She pulled out a light blue ribbon and pressed it into his hands.

"This is my favorite ribbon. I have to get it back." She took his startled lips with hers.

"Kaoru."

"Go with Miss Megumi." She reached down and clamped the irons on his wrists.

"Now you are doing the right thing." Megumi took his hand and began to lead him away. He was reluctant to go at first, then fell into step with the doctor. Kaoru chased after them to the front door. She called out as she watched them step off of her porch.

"I love you, Kenshin!"

"I love you too, Kaoru!"

They walked along toward the hospital. Past the lake, past the trees.

"Hurry up. I have to go check on Mrs. Shinomori. She should be having her baby any day now."

"Shinomori?"

"Yes, Misao, Aoshi Shinomori's wife."

"Aoshi is the one who gave me my reverse bladed sword."

"Why?"

"So I don't have to kill anymore." Megumi pushed the door to the hospital open, and they walked to his bed. She picked up the sword and pulled it out of its sheath a bit. The sunlight from the window reflected off of it, brightening her face. She returned it to the scabbard with a clink and the clatter of white beads. Her hand moved to her side. She rubbed the spot near her waist where a tattered red ribbon was hidden under her kimono. She laid the sword beside his bed.

"I will tell Kaoru to thank him."

"I appreciate it, Miss Megumi." She turned to walk away.

"And Miss Megumi?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))

A/N: I didn't get many reviews last chapter. Did you guys not like it? Review and let me know.

Also, I have finally decided on a title for my second Kenshin slave fic, "Sin and Salvation." I have outlined 3/ 4 of it in my head and 1/ 4 of it on paper. I should be starting on it, print-wise, very soon.