Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Saving Grace ❯ The Trouble Begins ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Kenshin characters but the original characters and story are mine.


Chapter 2 The Trouble Begins


"I think we're in big trouble this time Kenshin."

"What do you mean?" Karou asked.

"Someone's looking for you. I heard it for a guy last night."

"Who?" Kenshin asked quietly.

"I don't know, just some guy I was playing dice with"

"Not who you heard it from you stupid rooster head. We want to kow who's after Kenshin." Yahiko growled gripping his boken tightly. He wanted so bad to smack Sano with it, but if he did they might never find out what was going on.

"Oh right. It's a bad one Kenshin. He's a rogue hitokiri called Origami." Everyone jumped when Kenshin busted up laughing.

"What's so funny? This is serious!" Sano yelled.

"I'm sorry. It's just why would a hitokiri be named after the art of folding paper." Kenshin asked trying to catch his breath.

"You don't understand. He used origami to kill his enemies." Kenshin stopped smiling and his eyes narrowed.

"They say he sets a paper crane on his blade and when he fights he some how manages to move it farther and farther from the hilt. Once it reached the tip of his sword it comes to life and kills you."

"How is that possible?" Karou gasped.

"You said he was a rogue hitokiri. Does that mean he..."

"Killed for both sides?" Sano interupted. "Yeah. He held no loyalties. He just took his money and did the job. They say Origami was sent by the youngest son of the Hitomi Clan to kill a young soldier he had quarraled with. After that the soldiers family sent Origami to kill Hitomi."

"The Hitomi Clan?" Kenshin said quietly. "You mean this Origami was the one who killed the boy. He must really be powerful then."

"Why do you say that?" Yahiko asked.

"The Hitomi Clan had two sons, both were accomplished swords men. I met the youngest sone once before. I was greatful that I would never have to meet him in battle. If this Origami really managed to kill him then he must be very talented."

"You mean you were afraid of someone when you were the Battousai?" Yahiko blurted.

"I was and am only human Yahiko."

"Do you think this Origami means Kenshin harm?" Karou asked Sano.

"Don't know. Maybe...probably. Though I'm not sure why."

"What should we do?"

"Prepare." Kenshin said firmly as he turned away his heart heavy.

Karou bit her lip in concern. She remembered the fights with Shishio and the one with Jinei. If this Origami wanted to fight what would Kenshin do? Would he allow himself to be killed? Would he break his vow? Would he try to leave her behind? What did this Origami want anyway? Her thoughts were interupted by a knock on the front gate. She started to go answer but Sanosuke stopped her.

"Better let me do it Jou-chan. Just to be safe." She nodded, knowing he was thinking of the incident with Saito, and started to pick up the tea things.

When she returned from the kitchen she could see Kenshin and Sanosuke talking quietly over something. "Kenshin...?" Karou said uncertainly.

Kenshin turned to her. His face was grim and it looked extremely pale next to his red hair. "He's called me out." he told her as he handed her a small note.

'That knock, it must have been a messenger.' Karou thought as she looked at the note.

-Meet me in the central square at noon.
gOrigami-

Kenshin looked deep into Karou's sapphire eyes when she finished the note. "I'm coming with you." she told him in a tone that left no room for argument.

"I know." he said.

"Well what are we waiting for. Oi! Yahiko, let's go!" Sano called from where he leaned against the gate.