Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Someone to Watch Over Me. (I know it's not very original, but I couldn't think of anything else.)
Author:Silent Tears of Agony
Rating:PG-13 (It might be overrated. I'm not sure yet.)
Chap:1

Disclaimer: Don't own them, never will. (Sigh)

Yay, my first Sano&Meg fic.

-

"Sano."

"NO!"

"Please?"

"I said no!"

Kaoru huffed and crossed her arms. "Well why not?"

"Because..."

"That's not an answer. Now why won't you go?" Kaoru thought she knew why but wanted to hear him say it.

Sano sighed. "Why can't Kenshin go?"

"I've already told you," she sounded like she was talking to a little child, "Kenshin and I want him to stay here until after the baby is born. But that village needs Megumi's assitance now. I would feel alot better if she went along with someone we all trust, such as you. And you could help with the rebuilding. You know most families lost their homes in the fire.

"Please Sano. Kenshin and Yahiko will join you as soon as the baby is born and Kenshin is assured that I'll be alright. Misao and Aoshi are coming up soon. He'll be able to join you as soon as he gets here. Please Sano. We need you to do this."

Sano looked down at Kaoru's huge abdomen and heaved another sigh. 'Feh. I was only gone a couple of years and I find out that Kenshin and jo-chan are married and expecting a baby.' Kaoru was right. She needed Kenshin more than the villagers did right now. 'Grow up and stop being so selfish Sano.' He ruffled her hair and smiled. "Alright, I'll go."

Kaoru jumped up. "Thank you! Thank you Sano!" She ran up and hugged him awkwardly.

Sano chuckled. "You're welcome jo-chan. But I don't think you're supposed to be jumping up and down like that."

She blushed and looked down at her stomach sheepishly. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"I'll walk you back jo-chan," the young man offered.

She shook her head. "Thanks Sano, but that's not necessary."

"Jo-chan, this is a pretty rough neighborhood," he protested. "I don't want to think about what Kenshin would do to me if I let you get hurt. Plus I'd feel guilty." He walked over to the door and opened it.

Kaoru giggled. "No, Sano. You really don't have to walk me home. Kenshin's right outside. See?" She pointed and, sure enough, there was Kenshin standing next to the building with his eyes closed. His eyes opened when he heard them talking.

"Hello koishii." He greeted his wife and grasped her hand. She gave him a quick kiss.

Sano looked away. 'It's hard seeing them all romantic like this. I'm still getting over the idea of them being married to each other. Even if I did expect it.' There was a voice in the back of his head that said the reason it was so hard to see them in love was because he didn't have anyone to share his love with. Sano decided to ignore that voice.

He looked back to see them arguing over who was going to carry the grocery bags.

"Kenshin I'm pregnant, not an invalid. Let me carry something."

"You can carry yourself koishii. That should be quite a task in itself." He bent down as if nothing had happened, not realizing how his words sounded.

Her hands fisted at her sides. "Kenshin..." she growled.

His eyes widened as he realized just how his words could be taken. "Oro! Sessha didn't mean that the way it sounded Kaoru-dono. This unworthy one only meant that with the extra weight you've put on, you've had some trouble walking and..."

Sano wisely decided to stay out of the conversation. Even he realized that Kenshin was only digging his own grave deeper.

By now, Kaoru's entire body was trembling with rage. "KENSHIN!!" She pulled out her bokken and knocked him across the street.

Sano thought the red-head left a nice little imprint on the wall of the building he crashed into.

"Men!" Kaoru huffed. Or - more to the point - one man. "He tells me I'm only strong enough to carry myself, and yet when I give him only one little punch, he can't even stand up straight!"

Sano walked over to help his swirly-eyed freind, who was muttering a string of oros under his breath.
The younger man chuckled. "Jo-chan still packs a mean punch, ne?"

"Yes, that she does."

Kenshin struggled to get up under the weight of all the groceries. Sano decided to give the poor guy a break and helped him carry some of them.

"She shouldn't be walking so fast, that she shouldn't," he said worriedly.

"Relax Kenshin. Jo-chan's strong. She won't let a little thing like pregnancy keep her down."

"You don't understand Sano. The baby's taking a lot of energy out of her. If she keeps this up I'm afraid she might faint. She's fainted before."

Now, what Kenshin forgot about Kaoru was that when she was angry, her hearing rivaled that of the Battousai's. So even though there was a good 20 feet between them, and Kenshin was talking fairly quietly, she heard what he said. Her whole body stiffened and she swiveled around on one foot. Kenshin could see the rest of his life in her sparkling eyes. It was short, ending in a slow and painful death. He winced noticeably.

"You're right buddy, I did faint," she walked toward him with slow, menacing steps. "But that was a special circumstance as I had just found out I was pregnant." Her eyes narrowed and she jabbed a finger in his chest. "And don't forget you fainted too."

Sano looked over at Kenshin, the corners of his lips twitching. "Really, Kenshin?" He couldn't believe it. The hitokiri Battousai, most feared assassin to this day, of the Ishin Shishi, had fainted when he found out his wife was pregnant.

"Ahh...umm," was all Kenshin could manage to say as he repeatedly pressed his fingers together in a nervous gesture. He was sure he had sworn Kaoru to secrecy on the matter.

"Oh yes." Kaoru nodded her head emphatically. "In fact I had to drag him over to the well and splash water on him before he would wake up."

Great, now Kenshin knew he was never going to hear the end of it from Sano. He looked over at Sano who was bent over laughing. Yep, he was definately never going to hear the end of this.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Thank you Sano for helping with the groceries and for agreeing to help Megumi-san." Kaoru smiled at him. "Why don't you come over to dinner tonight, hm?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world Jou-chan. See you later." He took one look at Kenshin and his lips started twitching again. To Sano's credit, he didn't really start laughing until after he left the dojo compound.

Kenshin cringed when he heard Sano laughing outside the gate. By tomorrow all of Tokyo would probably know that he had fainted when he found out his wife was pregnant.

He looked over to Kaoru and saw her trying to stifle a yawn. "Perhaps you should take a nap Kaoru," the redhead suggested.

Kaoru shot him an icy glare. "I will take a nap when I feel like it and not because you told me to."

Kenshin sighed. How was he going to get out of this one?

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Kenshin walked in to find Kaoru sitting next to the window, tear stains on her face.

"Kaoru, what's wrong?"

Kaoru shook her head, "Nothing's wrong."

Kenshin knew better, but didn't want to push her. "I brought you some shaved ice." He held it out as a peace offering. She seemed to be craving that the most lately.

"Why? So I can get even more fat?" Her voice caught and she started crying again.

He set down the ice and grabbed her hands. "Oh koishii. Is that what you're crying about?"

She nodded her head. "Yes," Kaoru sniffed, "I've gotten fat and ugly, I'm scared you won't want to look at me anymore. And then when you said..." she broke off into another crying fit.

Kenshin shook her lightly. "Himura Kaoru, you know that's not true. Sessha is very sorry he made you feel ugly, but you certainly aren't." He smiled. "I will always love you Kaoru. No matter what. But, I don't think you're ugly. If anything I think you get more beautiful everyday." He scooted closer and put his hands on her stomach. "And as for getting fat. I know you've...put on a little weight, but do you know what I see when I look at you?"

She shook her head.

"I see the woman I love carrying a symbol of that love. Our child."

He hugged her tightly. "Sometimes Kaoru sessha feels like his heart would burst with all the love it holds for you. Sessha knows I don't deserve you."

"Baka," Kaoru chastised him. "I've told you so many times. I don't care about the past. You are a good person now. And even what you did in the past was for good." He started to shake his head.

"Kenshin it was a war! And you were only a child." It was his turn to cry now. Tears silently fell down his cheeks. Kaoru cupped his cheeks in her hands and wiped away the tears.

"No, you never had a chance to be a child did you?"

Her husband slowly shook his head.

"Well I guess you're going to have a second chance with this baby, ne?" she smiled brightly.

Kenshin laughed quietly at her optimism. "Yes." He smiled and took her hair down before running his fingers through it. "Sessha.." He was cut off when Kaoru put her fingers to his lips.

"Kenshin. Do you know how much I hate that word? You are not unworthy. Whenever you say that it makes me feel bad too." His eyes widened. No matter what he did he hurt her didn't he? Kaoru wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in the crook of his shoulder. "So please, no more sessha?"

"If you wish Kaoru."

She looked up at him. "Promise?"

"Yes."

Kaoru smiled, "Thank you." She took down his hair and fanned it around his shoulders. The young woman liked it best that way. The sun streamed through the window and settled on his hair, making it look as if it were on fire. Her breath caught in her throat at the beautiful image it created. She caressed his scarred cheek and leaned in to kiss him. After sometime she slowly pulled away and turned around so that she sat between his legs with her back to his chest.

Kenshin wrapped his arms around her shoulders and buried his head in her hair.

She picked up the bowl of ice which was now half-melted. "I'm sorry for getting upset at you earlier."

He smiled against her neck. "Don't worry about it koishii."

"Kenshin?"

"Hmm?"

"It's time for you to hold up your end of the deal."

Her husband made a face, "But, koishii..."

"No buts," she interrupted him. "I talked to Sano. Now you have to talk to Megumi." His wife started to pout when he hesitated. "You promised."

Kenshin sighed, he always gave in when she gave him that look. "Alright."

"Thank you. But first I want to give you something."

He tilted his head to the side, a puzzled frown on his lips. "What?"

Kaoru pulled his head down and gave him a passionate kiss. Adding her teeth and tongue like he had with her so many times.
She giggled when he pulled away dazed and started walking out of the room muttering several 'oros' under his breath; Kenshin didn't usually forgot to help her up.

By the time she had caught up to him, he seemed a little more coherent.

"Not that se-" Kenshin stopped in time when he saw a spark flare up in his wife's eyes. "I am complaining Kaoru, but what was that for?"

"Well anata. You are going to see a beautiful woman. I wanted to make sure you didn't forget you have a beautiful woman of your own, who loves you very much, waiting at home for you."

"Kaoru, I count my blessings everyday for having met you and be loved by you. I will never - could never - leave you for another woman." He whispered against her lips. "However, it is nice to be reminded from time to time"

-

I now it's a little sappy. I apologize for that.

I know everybody is (or will be) a little OOC. But it's my story so I can do with the characters whatever I will. I can make Kenshin dance an Irish jig if I wanted to do so(hey, he's got the hair). But I won't because that is a horrible mental image. =grins evily= And I just passed in on to you. Sorry guys.