Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
e-mail:silenttearsofagony@yahoo.comTears of Agonyto Watch Over Me


reviews! Sweeet! That's a new record for me. :) And to think I was afraid to publish this story. (I thought it was too silly.) I still think its silly, but who am I to argue with good reviews?
note. Sano is still lanky like he was in the series and his hair is still short and spiky in this story. (Because I like him better that way). Also I have never seen the Jinchuu arc, so if there are some inconsistencies with the story line I apologize.


felt nervous as he appraoched the clinic. He knew that Megumi would not be pleased about decisions involving her being made behind her back. Especially if it involved Sano. He was sure there was a mutual feeling of...something, other than hate, between the two of them before Sano left. But ever since he came back they had been avoiding each other like the plague.

smiled when she saw Kenshin come in. "Ken-san!! How is Kaoru doing? Is she in labor? Is that why you're here?" She started to gather her things when Kenshin's voice stopped her.
Megumi-dono. I appreciate your concern, but Kaoru is just fine. Actually I came here to discuss another matter." He started wringing his hands in nervousness.
What is it? Is something wrong? You know you can tell me anything. I promise I won't tell anybody."
actually its about, um, you Megumi-dono."
blinked her eyes. "Me?"
you know how Kaoru and I are worried about you traveling on your own to the village."
we've been over this before. I appreciate your concern about me, but they asked for my help. And as a doctor I can't turn them down."
Megumi-dono. You misunderstand me. Kaoru talked to Sano and, um, you see he, uh...that is he...heagreedtogowithyou." Kenshin closed his eyes, waiting for the blow. When he realized he was still concious he cracked his eye open enough to see Megumi clenching her hands so tightly her knuckles were white.
see." She said in a very cold voice.
was surprised. He had expected her to yell, perhaps throw things. Maybe even hit him. But he hadn't expected her to be so...cold about the whole situation.
what gave you the right to make decisions for me?"
and I, we were just worried for your safety. You and I both know Sano would protect you."
like I need protection from him.' Megumi had lost so much in her life. First her family to the war. Then her innocence to Kanryuu. It wasn't hard to understand why she was leary to trust anyone again, especially men. After all it was a man's war that had taken her family away from her. And it was another man that had imprisoned her and forced her to kill other people all for his greed. Maybe that's why she had fancied herself in love with Kenshin. Because in her heart she knew that he really loved another. So she was safe. She would never tell him so there was never any chance for him to reject her and throw that love back in her face. But slowly she fell prisoner to Sano's charms. His roguish smile, his stunning looks, his loyalty to his freinds. That cute look on his face when he was confused about something.
tried coming with all kinds of excuses to tell herself why she shouldn't fall in love with him. He was always fighting, he was crass and blunt, and he was stupid. But deep down she knew that wasn't true. Yes, he was always fighting; but it was almost always in defense of those who were weak or when he was standing by his friends. He didn't bully others just for fun or to prove his own strength like so many others she knew. Yes, he was blunt and crass, but often what he said was true. And he was far from stupid, ignorant maybe, but not stupid.
then one day she realized what she had been trying to deny for so long. She was in love with Sagara Sanosuke. The only problem was, he hated her. And why shouldn't he? She had killed his friend and so many others. So she had resolved that nobody would find out of her love for him. Especially not Sano. The only person who did know was Kaoru and that had happened by accident.


Kaoru-san. Can I help you with something?"
no. I just came by to see how you were holding up."
up?"
With Sano's departure."
froze. "H-his departure? Y-you mean he left?"
His friend Katsu came by yesterday and told him that the cops had a warrant for his arrest. He left just as soon as he found out. He said he had been wanting to explore the world and this gave him an excuse to do so. I thought he said goodbye to you."
He didn't." Megumi was hit with the painful truth. He didn't love her. Not in any way. He said goodbye to all of his other friends. It was now quite clear that he didn't consider her to be one of them. Then Megumi did something she never did.
cried.
broke down right in front of Kaoru and all she would say was "He didn't say goodbye" over and over.
heart went out to Megumi. She knew what it was like to have someone you cared for walk out of your life without the promise of coming back. But at least Kenshin had told her goodbye first. 'That jerk. If he ever comes back I'm going to pound him three ways to Sunday.'
knelt down next to Megumi. "You love him don't you?"
nodded her head.
might come back one day."
it's better if he doesn't."
didn't know what to say to this so she simply helped Megumi dry her tears.
Please...please promise me you won't tell anybody about this."
promise."flashback
had taken Megumi two years to gather the shattered pieces of her heart. Two long years. Her heart had finally started to mend and then he showed up again. Well she wouldn't fall victim to him again. She would protect her heart.
well Ken-san. I will go with Sanosuke. But tell him that I expect him to be ready to go early tomorrow morning or I will leave by myself."
don't you tell him yourself. He's coming over to my house tonight for dinner. You are welcome to come along."
she was going to have to face him sooner or later. She might as well get it over with. "Fine. I will join you."
Suzume-chan tugged on his hakama,"Ken-nii!! Ken-nii!! Can Ayame-chan and I come too!"
laughed. "Sure. Go ask your grandfather to make sure its alright."
ahead. I don't mind."
grabbed the two girls' hands and smiled. "Well then. Shall we go?"
four of them came into the dojo to find Sano holding one foot over Yahiko's head. "You gotta be stronger than that to beat me gaki-chan." Sano laughed. Yahiko was getting better, but he wasn't going to tell him that. The kid already had a big enough ego.


turned around. "Well hey there you two little monkeys. Wow. You two sure grew up. I bet the boys are always after you, ne?"
two girls giggled and shook their heads.
huh? Well give it a few more years and your grandfather will have to beat them off with a stick." He winked at them and the two girls giggled.
looked up and noticed Megumi standing in the background. He grinned. "Kitsune."
politely inclined her head toward him. "Good Evening Sagara-san."
felt his heart hurt at that. Since his return she hadn't called him 'tori-atama' even once. Before he left he had always hated that nickname. Now he would give anything to hear her say it again.
Sagara-san. I want you to know that I only agreed to this for Kenshin and Kaoru's benefit. You aren't my first choice for a traveling companion. I expect your manner to be kept at a professional level at all times and I will do the same. Do you understand me?"
Takani-san." He spat the last part out. This wasn't his Kitsune. Sure Megumi could be a little cynical sometimes, but she wasn't cold. That was Shinomori's job. His Megumi was a passionate, spirited woman. What had happened to make her change?

tried to fight off the yawn as he waited in front of the clinic. He wasn't used to getting up this early but it was worth it. He had actually arrived before Megumi! He was definetly going to tease her about it. He was trying everything he could think of to get =some= sort of response out of her.
grinned when he saw Megumi coming up trying to fight off a yawn herself. So Miss high-and-mighty didn't usually get up this early either, eh? "Hey there lazy bones." Megumi glared at him but didn't say anything. Sano clenched his teeth. What did he have to do to get a reaction out of her?
They both turned when they heard Kaoru's voice ring out cheerfully. Poor Kenshin was struggling under a mountain of...whatever it was. Sano couldn't quite tell.
tell me you two are coming with us?"
shook her head. "No. I just wanted to make sure you had enough food and blankets. Its getting a little cold at night now you know."
better have that baby soon Jou-chan. Your maternal instincts are going into overdrive."
vein popped out of Kaoru's head. "Sanoooooo!"
maa koishii. It's a good thing, ne?" Kenshin wrapped his arms around her.
hugged Kenshin. "Guess I'll be seeing you soon, eh buddy?"
you will, Sano."
he went over to Kaoru and patted her stomach. "You be good for your mom okay kid." He hugged Kaoru and gave her a kiss on the cheek.
nearly popped a vein at that. 'I can't be jealous of him. I can't. I can't.' "Let's go Sanosuke!"
turned around and smiled slowly. So it was Sanosuke now was it? And was that a hint of jealousy he heard in her voice?
tried to struggle against the feeling of warmth that spread throughout her body when he smiled at her. 'I can't give in. I won't give in.' Her heart sped up when he slowly walked over to her; and it took all of her willpower not to close her eyes when she felt his hot breath tickle her ear.
ready whenever you are...kitsune," he whispered. Then he walked off.
blinked a couple of times to get out of her stupor before she turned around to follow him. Protecting her heart was going to be harder than she thought.

looked worriedly after her two best friends. Kenshin tightened his arms around her in a comforting gesture.
be alright koishii."
know." 'I just hope my plan works before they kill each other.'


I'm actually kind of proud of that chapter.
anybody can think of a good disease for the village, I would appreciate it. Originally I was going to use cholera, but I want them to still be able to use the water. Now the only thing I can think is chicken pox. I know some poeple die of chicken pox, but for some reason "Beware that village has chicken pox" just doesn't sound as fear inspiring as "Beware, that village has cholera" (or leprosy or some other deadly disease).
REVIEWERS>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>
Yes, fluff is wonderful isn't it? :)
-- Erm, I'm afraid the only reason the last chappie was a kk chap was because I was too lazy to keep going until I reached s/m.
--- Thank you! That's a real compliment. As you can see I updated right now.
(hyatt-- I like s/m. I must admit though, I am a bit more of a kk fan. I'm glad you like it!
Next chapter. I promise there's gonna be.........something close to fluff.^_^
-- Yeah, somedays I can't stop laughing either. It drives my brother and my dad up the wall! (A very good reason to do it!! ;) Oh, and I loved your story "The Gensai Girls Ask A Question"!
I'm glad you liked it. S/M is coming soon. I promise!
-- I'm glad you like it. (And you have no idea what seeing my story posted on your favorite list did to my ego.) :)
Sky--- That's a cool name. I like sap too I just wasn't sure if everybody else would. Sorry to give you a headache. I didn't mean to make it a pure K/K chap, but I was lazy and wanted to finish it.
that's everybody. See you later! And please review again! ;)