Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
When I was rating this I totally forgot that I was going to include an attempted rape scene. The scene is in this chapter. Again it is only an *attempted* rape scene. Nothing happens, it doesn't even get very graphic. I just thought I would warn you in case I had any squeamish readers.

'...' thoughts
"..." speaking
{...} mini flashbsack/remembering
Someone to Watch Over Me, chap:3

-------------------------------------------

Megumi dipped her toe in the water. It had been an exhausting day. It was like Sano was purposely trying to annoy her or something. He kept talking about his travels. Even after she had told him, politely, that she didn't feel like listening to him. He talked about all the places he went to, the things he did, the people he met. He especially seemed to like to talk about the =women= he met. During the two years he was gone, there wasn't a day that went by that she hadn't thought about him. =Worried= about him. But it seemed he had gotten along just fine without her. She was such a fool. Now she had a headache from too much thinking and listening to him all day. But the water felt just right. Surely it would relax her. She turned around.

"Sanosuke!" She hadn't realized she had been calling him by his first name all day. (Much to Sano's secret delight. ;)

"Yeah, kitsune."

She bit her tongue at his name for her. 'I'm not going to let him get under my skin. Nope. Noooot going to let it happen.'

"I'm going to take a bath now. So you better not peek!" She didn't =really= think he would peek, but just in case he got any ideas.

He put a hand over his chest in mock pain. "Kitsune, are you insulting my honor as a gentleman?"

Megumi simply rolled her eyes and hmmphed. Sano chuckled.

"I'll be over there getting some firewood if you want me for anything kitsune." He winked suggestively.

Megumi spun aroud before he could see the pink rise to her cheeks. Ohhhh. Why did her mind have to come up with all the things that could entail? Even more important why did it sound so wonderful? 'I'm not in love with him anymore. I'm not. I'm not!' She heard him laughing in the distance. He knew he had gotten to her. Her hands clenched. 'Infuriating man!'

She took her doctor's smock off and tossed it to the side. She was just about to take her obi off when she felt a presence behind her. Sano certainly was getting bold! Coming up right behind her when she was getting undressed!! And when she specifically told him not to!!!

"S--ummph" She was cut off when a large hand covered her mouth.

"Well, it looks like its my lucky day. I just came by to see if there was any money or food I could steal and I find a pretty woman to boot!"

Megumi's eyes grew big. That wasn't Sano's voice! Where was Sano any way? Didn't he hear this man? A fine job he was doing of protecting her! She was about to get raped, possibly killed on the first day!

Megumi felt a tug on her obi and decided that Sano or no, she wasn't going down without a fight. She kicked him in the groin and he howled in pain. She winced when she felt the knife he had been using to cut her obi dig into her skin. She would just have to ignore it for now. She made a dash for it, but he caught her by her ankle. "SANO!!!"

"SHUT UP!" He slapped her hard across her face drawing some blood.

"SANO!!! HELP ME!!!"

He crawled on top of her and held a knife to her throat. "I said shut up b----!! Now you just do what I say and I might let you live. Isn't that kind of me?"

Megumi struggled trying to get him off of her. He was starting to tear the front of her kimono. He was squeezing her breasts too tight, it hurt. Tears formed in her eyes. She felt so dirty. She had hoped this would never happen again. She wished the ground would just swallow her up or that he would kill her and get it over with. Anything to take away the pain and humiliation. "Please. Please don't do this." She begged him.

He pushed the knife a little harder into her throat, so that a trickle of blood came out. "You keep this up and I just may have to make it so you can't talk."

He started to part her legs too far...it hurt...

And the next thing she knew, the man was lifted off of her and slammed into a tree. "S-sanosuke?" It was! It was Sano. He was saying something to the man but she couldn't hear what. She gathered her tattered kimono together and tried to stand up, but she couldn't. Her side hurt too much. She put her hand to the wound on her side and pulled it back. It was covered in blood. The cut must have been deeper than she thought. She looked back up to Sano, he was still punching the guy. The man's face was all bloody. Megumi started to get scared. What if he killed the guy? Sano already had enough problems, he didn't need this. "Sanosuke." No response. "Sano!" He still just kept hitting the guy. It was like he was posessed or something. "TORI-ATAMA!!!" =That= got his attention. He dropped the man and turned around.

"Megumi!" She was bleeding in so many places...

He ran over to her and picked her up.

"What are you--"

"I need to get you over to the lake so I can clean you up."

He set her down and dipped a piece of his sleeve into the water so that he could wipe her face. Megumi was surprised at how gentle he was being. He was touching her like she might break if he applied any pressure.

On closer inspection she wasn't as wounded as Sano had thought. Her face was just bruised and the cut on her neck was fairly small. Her side was still bleeding though.

"Megumi." That was the second time he had called her by her name today. Heck, it was the second time he had called her by her name in the whole of their knowing each other. This must have really shook him up.

"Nani?"

"Can you see the wound in your side very well?"

Megumi looked down. "Not very well."

Sano gulped. He was probably going to get hit for his next suggestion, but bright ideas had never been his strong point. "Then, m-maybe...I should take a peek?" Sano winced. Their had to be a better way to put that. He just wasn't sure what it was.

Her face turned a scarlet red. "NANI?!!"

Sano threw his hand up to protect himself from the blow he thought was coming. "I meant your wound! Your the doctor! Isn't it bad to leave a wound unattended?"

The redness in Megumi's face lessened slightly. "Oh. Well. Fine then. But you better not try anything!" Megumi sighed. She hadn't planned on getting attacked on the way over to Akayama. (a.k.a. "the village" Thank you so much mushi-azn! :) What else was going to happen? Suddenly Megumi's eyes widened. "W-what are you doing?" 'Duh! It's obvious he's taking off his gi.'

Sano handed her his gi. "It's to cover yourself up while I look at your wound."

Megumi let out a soft "oh". The response was made more to what she saw though, rather than what he said. She hadn't seen him with his shirt off for two years. Apperantly the years had been good to him. He was still composed of lean muscle. Her throat became dry as she traced his form with her eyes. 'Too bad he's wearing his bandages.' It kept her from seeing his fine abs. Her eyes widened and her cheeks turned bright red at that thought.'Megumi! You did not just think that! And stop staring or he's going to notice.'

Fortunately Sano didn't notice; he was too intent on staring at her kimono. Why was he staring at her kimono? He cleared his throat. "Kitsune, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to tear your kimono to get to your wound."

Megumi panicked. Tear her kimono? That thought brought back so many painful memories. The recent rape attempt hadn't helped any. Megumi squeezed her eyes shut, willing the images to go away. 'Don't think about it. Kanryuu's in jail now. Your not with him any more. Your with Sano. And Sano would *never* do anything to hurt you.....not physically anyway.' She added remembering how he had hurt her when he left.

"Kitsune? You okay?"

Megumi took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Yes, tori-atama. I'm fine. Do what you have to."

Sano nodded and tore the material away. Megumi jumped when the material pulled at the semi-dried blood. That stung! Then she felt Sano's gently probing fingers which soothed her somehow. "Well kitsune, I'm no expert but it looks okay. It's deep but small. Of course it's hard to tell with all the blood covering it. Where's your bag?" Megumi pointed and he went to go get it.

"It might be more comfortable if you layed down."

{Lay down wench!!} Megumi put a hand to her chest in an effort to calm her rapid heart beat. No! She wouldn't think about him. Kanryuu was gone, and she would probably never see him again. She took one last steadying breath and readjusted Sano's gi so it covered her as she lay down.


........................


Sano poured some alcohol onto the gauze. He had no idea really what he was doing, all he knew was he had to channel his chaotic emotions into something productive or he was going to explode. His hands started to tremble with rage again. He felt pure, unadulterated rage toward the man who had hurt =his= Megumi. But mostly, he felt anger and disgust at himslef for letting it happen. For not being fast enough to prevent it. He was supposed to protect her. He had =promised=. And now here she was bleeding and scared half to death. She was hiding it well, but he could still tell she was scared. Every time he touched her her body got stiff. Every time he suggested something that had to be done to take care of the wound that could be taken another way her eyes got big and her breathing sped up...and it killed him inside. He had let down Jou-chan and Kenshin. He had let down all their freinds back home who were counting on him to protect her. He had let down the villagers of Akayama because, really, what good was a sick doctor? But most of all he had let down Megumi and he could never forgive himslef for that.

He gently patted the gauze onto Megumi's side. He clenched his teeth together to keep from swearing as she hissed in pain.

"I'm sorry." Megumi didn't say anything, she was too busy biting her lip. "I won't think any less of you if you cry or scream." Megumi's smile was bitter.

"I know."

Sano wiped away the last of the blood and helped her sit up. "I'm going to have to wrap it up now." Megumi nodded her consent. He scooched up right behind her, so close she could smell his scent envelope her. It felt so strong and...comforting. Megumi felt a tug at her side and when she looked down she saw Sano was tying the bandage up. He was finished? So quickly?

'If he keeps this up I just might have some competition.' Megumi giggled at the thought of competing against Sano for patients. Then she thought of all the females that would line up to see him over every imagined ache or pain and narrowed her eyes. She would be in competition with more than just Sano. 'What? No! I can't think like that. I don't love him anymore. Right?' She looked around to find Sano...and found him pawing through her clothes. "OI! OI! Rooster!! What are you doing?!! Get out of there!"

"You =want= to stay in those torn, bloody clothes all night?" The look he gave her was fully smug. And conceited. He knew he had gotten to Megumi.

'Rrrgg! I hate it when he wins.' "Fine! Just, bring them over here."

Sano helped her stand up then pulled away the last of her clothes. She blushed a bright red. "What do you think you're doing?!"

"I'm helping you change. You can't do it by yourself. Besides I'm not looking at anything."

'Does he honestly expect me to believe that? But he does have a point. I can't change by myself. Thats twice he's been right! Since when did the rooster start winning all the arguments?!'

"There I'm finished now." Well that was fast. Again.

"It feels funny." The whole thing felt too loose. Sano actually blushed.

"Well, I've never tied these things before." He said gesturing to her obi. Megumi rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, your probably too busy =un=-tying them." Sano blushed even deeper. 'I never knew I could make him blush.'

Sano picked her up again and her nose was assaulted with his scent. He smelt like the forest and the earth. And something spicy that she couldn't quite define. (I like pine and forest scents. I think of them more as masculine scents though more than feminine, so I'll just be giving them to the guys. Actually, my most favorite scent is lilac. But, we can't have Sano smelling like lilacs now can we? ;)

He set her down and wrapped her in a blanket. That ws sweet of him, if he kept this up she might actually think he cared. Megumi looked around and realized it had turned dusk. She sighed. So much for her bath. Sano pulled out the food Kaoru and Kenshin had packed for them. He sniffed it, probably trying to judge if it was safe to eat or not. Megumi giggled. "It should be safe to eat. I don't think Ken-san would let tanuki-chan cook right now."

Sano chuckled. "Heh. Your right he's probably too worried that she might strain herself. Though I'd be more worried about her poisoning the baby." Megumi and Sano laughed again. 'When did he get so easy to talk to?'

Megumi cleared her throat. "Sanosuke?" She asked quietly looking down at her food. "Hmm?"

"Arigato for saving me and...and for taking care of me."

He waved her thanks away with a careless hand. "No problem kitsune. It's my job."

Megumi cringed. Was that all she was to him? A job? Of course. He was only helping her as a favor to Kenshin and Kaoru, his =freinds=. No matter how much she wanted to be, Megumi wasn't his freind. 'But he was so kind earlier. I thought...I thought he actually cared...about...me.' She was so stupid to believe that. She just wanted to go curl up somewhere and cry her eyes out. But she wouldn't do that, she was stronger than that.

"Kitsune?"

Megumi looked up when she heard Sano's voice. He was so close to her. She could feel his breath on her cheek, and his beautiful brown eyes were locked onto hers. She could just melt in those eyes. Megumi swallowed. "Hai?" she squeeked out.

"Are you going to finish your food? 'Cuz if your not, can I have it?"

Megumi eyes turned red and a vein popped out of her forehead. "Baka!" She threw the food on his face. Sano didn't particularly care for where it went. He =would= have liked to eat if she wasn't going to, but at least she didn't look like she was going to cry anymore. He hated it when she cried, he felt so helpless. He looked up to see her walking =much= too fast over towards the bedding.

"Megumi! Wait!" He jumped up and ran after her. "You shouldn't be walking, you could aggravate your wound. Now just wait here, I'll get the blankets out." He gently sat her down and got out the blankets. He set two down on top of each other. Megumi raised an eyebrow at that. If he thought he was going to sleep next to her then he could just think again. Sano came over and picked her up.

"Are you going to carry me the whole time?"

"Maybe."

Well, it *did* feel nice being carried in his arms. So who was she too complain? He set her on top of the blankets and then got another one out to put on top of her. He'd have to thank Kaoru later for sending so many with them. He looked at Megumi's face. She looked so beautiful with the moonlight falling over her. He looked down at her lips. He wanted to kiss them so badly! Darnit! Why couldn't she see that he loved her?

"Sano?"

"Hmm?"

"If you tuck that blanket any tighter around me I won't be able to breath." Sano looked down and blushed. He was so lost in his thoughts that he had wrapped the blanket so securely around her that he doubted she coud get out of it.

"Gomen." He mumbled while loosening it. He grabbed the last blanket and wrapped it around himself and leaned against a tree.

"Rooster. You have to have more than just one blanket. It's cold out here."

"Don't worry about me kitsune. I've been through worse. And with no protection. I'll be fine. You're hurt, I don't want you getting sick. Besides if you don't recouperate you won't be able to help the people at Akayama."

"But.."

"No buts. Go to sleep."

'Rrrgg. That's the third time today he's won an argument! I must be losing my touch.' She was tired though. Mentally and physically with all of todays events. Already she could feel sleeps arms grasping at her. Inviting her to join in the world of dreams. "Oyasumi rooster." She mumbled.

Sano chuckled. "Oyasumi kitsune." 'Sleep well my koishii.'

---------------------

Each chapter seems to get longer than the last. Hmm. Sorry for my lame attempt at S/M waff. I know it didn't turn out very good. But I tried! Well, there will be more so hopefully I'll get better at it.

I'd really like to put the flashbacks in italics. Can anybody tell me how to save text in html format? Please? Pretty please? With sugar on top? (I've always wondered how that expression got started.) I'll stop begging now and get onto the reviews. (I can see you all breathing a sigh of relief.) :)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<MY REVIEWERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;



Phoenix Eyes -- I'm glad you like it. I'm sorry to dissapoint you but I don't plan on ever writing a lemon. I just don't think I would be good enough and I would be too embarassed (I have a hard enough time writing limes.) There *will* be limes though, so please keep reading! :) Oh and I like your suggestion of Scarlet Fever. I think I'll go with that.

Angel of The Deceased -- That's why I teased you about it right away. That guy was a jerk. There was no need for him to say that. And I *do* like your stories. Ummm most of them anyway. :)

gaby (hyatt -- I'm glad you think so. :)

Lady Xiu Mei Pheonix -- Wow! How did you come up with your name?! It's so cool! :) I tried looking up small pox. Not much on it unfortuanately. Probably because we *cough* have it under control. (yeah right). Really? You give it four stars? Thats so sweet of you! :) I'll try to keep it up to that level. (But I'm afraid I can't promise anything >.<)

mushi-azn -- Exactly!! (Sano being a baka) I'm glad you think it's sweet. And thanks for the cool name! I love it! :)

TanukiGirl22 -- Thanks for letting me know. I saw Reflections (I swear I'm never watching it again. It's so sad!) and when it did flashbacks of Jinchuu I just assumed that it had been animated. Your welcome. I really do like that story. :) It's so funny.


Well I'd like to thank everyone for reviewing! It's great of you! Keep it up please! I'd also like to thank everyone who put me on their author alert list and their favorite author list. It makes me feel good and encourages me to keep writing better.

Before I go I want to recommend a good S/M fic. It's called "To Catch A Fox, A Rooster's Manual" by ceramicprincess. It's on my favorite list. I guess I should give you fair warning that its a little limey.

C ya later. STA ^_~