Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I'd like to thank everybody for sending me those great disease ideas! I'm still not sure what I'm going to go with. Some sort of fever/rash thing I think. Hmm.... We shall see.
To Watch Over Me; Chap:4
slipped out of the outhouse and ran back to the house. Well, it was more like a fast waddle. She ran her hands up and down her arms in an attempt to warm herself. 'Stupid bladder! I must have gone out here more than five times already. And for what? Nothing more than a trickle! I hope this baby comes out soon.' A strong wind blew by and cut right through her. She shivered and picked up her pace. 'It's so cold tonight. I wonder how Sano and Megumi are doing.'
opened the shoji and walked into her room. She glared at Kenshin for a second. How dare he sleep while she couldn't?!
know, its much warmer here under the blanket than it is standing up there."
looked up to see Kenshin grinning at her, holding the blanket up so she could get in. Kaoru's scowl softened into a smile. "I thought you were asleep." She explained as she laid down.
Your moving too much for me to do that." He grabbed her hands. "You're so cold."
it *is* kind of cold out there. But then you wouldn't know that would you? Seeing as how you get to stay snuggled up in this nice warm futon."
well then will you allow me to apologize for this injustice by warming you up?" He grinned and put her hands under his arms so they would warm up. He gasped when she put her cold feet next to his warm ones.
giggled. "Hey, you knew what you were getting yourself into when you offered to warm me up."
I'll have to be more careful about what I offer you in the future. Seeing as how you like to take advatage of poor little old me." He pouted but his eyes were dancing with barely suppressed mirth.
no baka!" She playfully hit him. She was so glad he could finally be at peace with his past. He now allowed himself to be happy. To laugh and to play. To just live. He could finally see the love and friendship that was always right in front of him but he had always denied himself. Kenshin's voice broke through her musings.
You'll wake Yahiko." That reminded her.....
She looked up at him through her lashes and tried to make her eyes look as big and innocent as possible.
wants something from me. I hope she doesn't ask me to make her miso soup at this time of night. Again. Orooo...'
is it koishii?" His voice was slightly wary.
laughed to herself. 'He probably thinks I'm going to ask him to get me something to eat again. Poor guy.' She pulled one of her hands free from under his arm and traced invisible lines on his chest. "It's about......Yahiko?"
raised up on one arm, worried by the tone of her voice. Kaoru wasn't usually so hesitant about things. Especially after they had gotten married. "What is it? Is Yahiko sick? Should I go get Gensai-sensai?" Kenshin started to get up the rest of the way.
put a restraining hand on his arm. "Iie. It's just....." She trailed off and bit her lip.
there was no immediate danger to Yahiko's health, Kenshin relaxed and caressed his wife's face, encouraging her to continue. "You know you can tell me anything koishii."
sighed. "Well, he's been working so hard lately. He does extra chores since you started working. And he still works at the Akebeko,(sp?) and....he's just working so hard." Kaoru repeated herself.
smiled gently. "Kaoru, you're getting yourself worked up over nothing. It's just Yahiko's way of showing he loves you."
know, but he's still so young. I'd like to do something for him, you know, so he can relax?"
did you want to do?"
thought we could go on a picnic after you got off work."
sounds nice."
we could invite Tsubame-chan."
sighed inwardly. She had been trying to set people up for the past few months. Yahiko and Tsubame. Sanosuke and Megumi. She had even been trying to set Tae up with a local businessman. He wouldn't be surprised if Kaoru tried to set up Aoshi and Misao when they came. Maybe he should warn Aoshi? His thoughts were cut off when Kaoru poked him in the side.
she growled, "Are you listening to me?"
course I am koishii." He replied hastily. A little too hastily. "You wanted to invite Tsubame-chan. I think that sounds very nice, that it does." Kaoru smiled and Kenshin mentally congratulated himself for getting out of that without recieving any injuries. Truthfully though, Kaoru had been much less violent the last year. Whether it was the fact that she was maturing as she got older, or she was no longer scared that Kenshin might leave her now that they were married and having a baby, Kenshin didn't know. He was just grateful she was more calm now. It gave his bruises time to heal.
smiled when he saw Kaoru stifle a yawn. "Kaoru-chan, you should go to sleep." He whispered in her ear.

know. But it's so hard. I either have to pee or the baby gets restless." She winced when she felt a particularly hard kick confirming what she just said.
smiled and moved his head down to her stomach. "Are you being a bad aka-chan?" The baby kicked again. Kenshin shook his head in mock reproach. Kaoru giggled. She knew the baby couldn't see, and she wasn't sure if it could hear them or not, but Kenshin had insisted on interacting with the child as best he could. At first she had thought he was crazy, but eventually she found herself doing it too. As the baby grew she felt it respond to her moods and both of their voices. It seemed Kenshin knew what he was doing.
should let your mother sleep that you should." Kenshin gently scolded. He then caressed her stomach as he started singing the only child's song he knew. He later explained to Kaoru that his mother used to sing it to him before she died. That and her scent seemed to be the only things he could remember about her.
closed her eyes as she felt the baby calm down. He had such a nice voice. It was even putting her to sleep. 'Maybe I should have Kenshin sing to us more often.' She thought before she drifted off to sleep.
looked up when he heard Kaoru's steady breathing. Good. Maybe he could get some sleep too now. Kaoru was close to term so each time she moved he woke up worrying that she might be going into labor. Kenshin yawned and laid back down beside Kaoru; setting one hand on her rounded stomach and wrapping the other arm securely around her waist.
called his name just as the fuzzy edges of sleep started to take over his brain. Struggling to wake up he lifted a hand to scrub the sleep out of his eyes. It didn't work. Half-way to his face his hand dropped as he drifted back to sleep. Unfortunately, his hand dropped right on Kaoru's nose. Already annoyed that he would dare to sleep when she needed him, she shook him viscously. (Pregnancy makes Kaoru a little cranky, ne? ^_^)
*wake up!*" The urgency in her voice finally woke him up. "Wha-what is it Kaoru?"
hungry. Could you make me some more miso soup?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sequence

looked around. Why was she in Kanryuu's old mansion? Hadn't Ken-san defeated him? Yes, he had. And Sano had kept her from killing herself and then they had all gone to Kaoru's dojo. So why was she back in old observatory room that Kanryuu always kept her in? Had the last two years of her life just been a dream? No, they had been too real. She couldn't dream up *that* much detail.
the question still remained. What was she doing back in Kanryuu's mansion? And how did she get here? She didn't remember any one taking her here. Did they kidnap her while she and Sano slept? Was Sano alright?
was jerked out of her thoughts when she heard the door rattle. Megumi sucked in a deep breath when the person on the other side entered the room. It was one of Kanryuu's henchmen, Daisuke. He was one of the more loyal ones. Tall and fit he struck an imposing figure. He had long black hair, strinking blue eyes, and high cheek bones. Megumi might have thought he was good-looking, except for the fact that he worked for Kanryuu. And he always looked at her as if he was undressing her with his eyes. Megumi shuttered. He had always given her the creeps.
Sano." It was more of a demand than a question.

smirked. Whether you where a man or a woman, Sano made an impression on people. One that wasn't easily forgotten. "No, you must not have met him. You would have remembered if you did. That means you didn't bring me here. Who did? And why am I in Kanryuu's mansion? I thought he was executed."
laughed harshly. "Cutie, I'm afraid Kanryuu-sama is very much alive. And he wants you." He licked his lips. "I can't say that I blame him."
shrank as close to the wall and as far away from Daisuke as possible. No! This wasn't happening. Couldn't be happening. Ken-san and Sano had defeated Kanyruu and his henchmen. She had seen it with her own eyes. And they had all been executed. She had read about *that* in the papers. This...this had to be a dream! A cruel, horrible dream. That's the only explanation Megumi could come up with.
the slap on her cheek when Daisuke slapped her, and the tug on her clothes as he pulled her up roughly told her it was no dream. Megumi froze when she heard him laugh. That...wasn't Daisuke's laugh. It was Kanryuu's insane laughter. The same one that always sent shivers down her spine. She looked up to see, not Kanryuu's face, but the man who had tried to rape her earlier that day. What was going on?! It was all so confusing. 'It must be a dream. Only a dream could shift so quickly. Right...?'
if it was a dream, she had to defend herself. It was instinctual. The man -- whoever he was now -- still held her to him with an iron grip. No matter how much she hit him and struggled he didn't seem affected. She was only tiring herself out. Her voice was hoarse from all the screaming. 'Sano...please help me.' She silently begged. And the next thing she knew she was lying flat on her back on the floor. With her wrists pinned above her head. Gathering all her strength, she started her, struggling anew.
Shh, koishii. It's just me. It's Sano. I'm not going to hurt you."
It *sounded* like Sano's voice, but.....*koishii.* He had certainly never called her that before. 'It's just a dream. None of it's real.' That thought left her feeling very hollow inside. 'It will never be real.' She nearly choked with the effort to keep her tears back.
body above her shifted when he released her wrists and started caressing her hair with one hand. "Kitsune, if you keep moving like that your'e going to hurt your wound." The voice chided gently. Megumi stopped moving, she hadn't even realized she was still struggling. Well only Sano knew about the wound, right? And only he called her kitsune, right? Besides, it was all just a dream anyway. It didn't matter who it really was...right? She cracked open one eye and was greeted with Sano's smiling face.

smiled widened. "The one and only."
shook her head ruefully. Even in her dreams he was the same old Sano.
wouldn't have him any other way.
baka tori-atama." She reached up to cup his cheek with her hand. "You came for me. Even in my dreams you save me."
was silent for so long that Megumi had started to move out of conciousness and into a deep sleep when she heard Sano's voice.
will *always* come for you Megumi."
Dream Sequence

apologize for this chapter. I know it is lacking and feels somewhat forced. I meant to write more. But if I didn't stop it there, it would have gone on forever. So I will adress Sano's reaction to the dream in the next chapter. Before I go on to the reviews, I want to warn you that there will be a slight delay in updating the next chapter. Before I continue, I want to update my other story "Haunted Pasts." I haven't updated it since, oh...I POSTED IT!! I don't want it to feel neglected. ^_^
A total of 32 reviews! And 16 reviews in a single update! That's the most I've ever recieved! ^_^ Thank you soooo much! You guys made me feel (slightly) better about the last chapter. Okay, now I'll stop rambling and get on to the reviews.
REVIEWS$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
-- I'm glad you like it. I don't have any life either, so I know the feeling. ^_^
eccentric -- I'm glad you like it. But I'm afraid I can only type so fast. ;_; (I have noticed I'm getting faster though, so who knows...maybe I'll have this story finished sooner than I thought. Then I can move onto my other ones. heh. ^_~
Katherine2 -- Well, I still have doubts about it. But if you like it then I am glad. Of course I plan on continuing, unless I die first. In which case I wouldn't be very happy either way. ^_~
-- I like them too. ^_^ Although, I think I like K/K better. Yes, Sano will be giving hints to Megumi. (In his own baka way.) *sigh* ^_~
-- Ah. I see you caught onto my plan. ^_^ (Keeping it simple). Yeah, I do have a few twists planned for the story.
of the Deceased -- Err...forget I said anything! ^_^ Yeah a couple of people have, but it sounds nicer coming from you. What do you mean "hormonal"? All I said was that Megumi was checking him out. (I *dare* you not to do the same if you ever meet Sano's living double.) And Sano wanted to kiss her. So what? Sorry about making you hide those books. That wasn't very mature of me was it? Thanks for letting me know about the mistake. I like the way you write. ^_^
-- Thanks. ^_^ I try to update every 4-5 weeks.
-- I assure you I will continue.^_^ I think its going to get kinda interesting too. But, you never know with me writing it. It could just come out a sad, twisted mess. >.<
-- Yes, because I said so. ^_^ Actually I was going to give his pov but it was getting too hard. Well then, I will be sure to update. (I love your story)
Sky -- Thanks. ^_^ (I love your pen name. Its very pretty.)
-- Truthfully, even I don't know yet. *sweatdrop* I just was inspired to write that as I was writing the chapter. But, I'm working on a reason. It's not very original, but it will do. ^_^
Weaver1 -- Oh, cool! A male reader. ^_^ I was hoping my stories would appeal to both genders. Before I answer your question, I want to apologize for the review I left. I wrote HA! I *meant* to write JA! As in "see you later". Now that I've made a total idiot out of myself, I'll answer your question. They never say whether he did or not. But when she was talking to Kanryuu in the forest and he was threatening to hurt her new friends if she didn't come back, he said not only would she have to make even *more* opium, but she wuld have to "jump back in bed with him." And as much as Megumi hates that guy (I don't blame her) I don't think she would have done it willingly. So its pretty safe to say he raped her. I'm glad you thought it was fluffy enough. ^_^
Xiu Mei Pheonix -- Yeah, that does suck. I didn't know you died of fever that way. I was told it cooks your brain before anything else. I guess you really do learn something new every day, huh? ^_^ Yes, and two can play at that game. (ohohoho) ^_~
(hyat -- Thanks. ^_^
-- Well, I hope you like the K/K I put in. Thanks for letting me know about the block. I'll try to be more careful in the future. Thanks for trying to help but I'm afraid I don't have Microsoft Word. I only have Wordpad. I thought maybe you could do it in Wordpad. :-( Yeah, I've read them. I hope you think of more soon ^_^ Sorry, I can't think of any.
-- Well, I really did like it. ^_^ I'm continuing right now.
-- Thank you, that's a nice compliment. Well then, I am very honored that you took the time to read this story. I hope I don't dissapoint you in the future. (And I would just like to tell you again that I *love* your story, and I hope you continue soon. ^_^)
would also like to thank the following people for putting me on their author alert list: CEEGEE, gaby(hyat, Selena Maxwell, koorime-princess12, satan-ov-desire, dacrayZblaze1, Story Weaver1, Zerianyu, glasclach, sabella/pan, The Monster in your Dreams, Angel of the Deceased, are-en1, Koneko Maiden, th*-d**d-d**m*d-m*nk*y
thanks also go out to these people for putting me on their favorite author list:Monster in your Dreams, Angel of the Deceased, Selena Maxwell, Shade16, Lady Katherine2
really makes my day when you review! (hint, hint)^_~