Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Someone to Watch Over Me; Chap: 10 (I finally reached the double digits!)

Many thanks to Night Imp and Pinay Tiger for being my beta-readers. You should check out their stories!

Flashbacks are in italics.

-

Kenshin stared, entranced by brilliant blue eyes. Said blue eyes, in turn seemed to be mesmerized by his violet ones.

"Kenshin?" The man turned his head over his shoulder to look at his wife. Kaoru smiled tenderly at her two favorite red-heads. "Koishii, you need to go now."

Kenshin looked down at his son and sighed. "I know, but I don't want to leave." Kaoru gave him a sympathetic smile and traced a finger along his scarred cheek.

"I don't want you to either. But the sooner you go, the sooner you will come back to us." Kenshin handed his son to Kaoru, then got up to grab his bag.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to hold Kenji until we get to the edge of town." Kaoru nodded and handed the boy over. They stepped out of their room to find Yahiko waiting impatiently.

"Finally! What is taking you so long, Kenshin? It's not as if we're never coming back."

'You try leaving two of the best things that ever happened to you after your whole life screwed up and see how fast you move.' Kenshin grumbled internally.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Tsubame had come over to see Yahiko off. Misao decided to tag along because she had nothing else to do. Kenshin was so concentrated on Kenji that Kaoru had to steer him out of potential harm several times.

"Kenshin?" He looked up when he heard Kaoru's soft voice. "We're out of town now. The rest of us should head back." Kenshin looked around him to see that they were indeed out of town and were surrounded by trees.

"Oh, of course." He pressed a kiss on his son's tiny hand then touched his forehead against the baby's for a long moment, content to breath in his scent. "Misao-dono, would you hold Kenji, please?" Kenshin tugged on Kaoru's hand when she looked at him questioningly. "I want to say goodbye to you in private," he whispered with a mischievous smile. Kaoru blushed and followed him.

Yahiko rolled his eyes. "Those two are so pathetic. You'd think they'd have it out of their system by now."

"I think it's sweet," Tsubame spoke up.

"Eh? Well . . . I guess." Yahiko agreed gruffly. "In a sickening, tooth-decaying kind of way."

"Ne, Yahiko-kun. Don't you want to say goodbye, too?" Yahiko raised an eyebrow.

"To busu? Well, I guess when she returns, but it would seem odd to get all mushy like that." Tsubame frowned then gave him that sweet smile that always made him incredibly nervous.

"I meant to me. To each other."

"Uh . . ." Yahiko uttered u, then his eyes rounded in understanding. "Oh. Yeah. . ." He scratched his head, unsure of himself. They both blushed when Tsubame grabbed his hand and bowed her head.

"W-will you think of me while I'm gone?"

"Of course I will." Tsubame lifted her head to reveal her now completely red face. She seemed to contemplate something briefly before leaning forward and pressing her lips to Yahiko's, causing him to widen his eyes in surprise. Yahiko wasn't the only one who was surprised. Misao's eyes were the size of saucers and she was having a hard time keeping her mouth closed.

'No way. That brat's only twelve and he already gets a kiss? I'm eighteen and I've never had one.' Misao looked down at Kenji and sighed. 'I've reached a new level of pathetic.'

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Kenshin stopped behind a tree, then turned to face Kaoru. He traced a rough finger along the curve of her cheek. "I'm going to miss your smile while I'm gone."

Kaoru smiled coyly, "Is that the only thing you're going to miss?" Kenshin shook his head and buried his face in her hair.

"You know it's not." He placed a gentle kiss on her neck. Kaoru brought a hand up to grip the back of his gi.

"I'm going to miss you too, Kenshin." Kenshin lifted his head up when he felt liquid drop onto his skin.

"I know it's selfish, but please don't cry koishii. I can't stand to see you cry." He brushed his lips against her wet eyelashes, then lowered his face to kiss her. "Please." Kaoru's grip on Kenshin's gi tightened with the force it took to keep her emotions under control. Kenshin leaned back to brush noses with Kaoru.

"I want you to take care of yourself and let your body heal while I'm gone." Kaoru rolled her eyes.

"Yes, mommy."

"I'm serious."

"I promise you I will." Kaoru laid her head on her husband's strong chest. "You be careful too." Kenshin rubbed the top of her head with his chin.

"I promise." They continued to hold each other as the breeze played with the edges of their clothes and hair. Kenshin reluctantly pulled away. "We should leave before it gets too late." They headed back hand-in-hand, arriving just in time to see Tsubame pull away from Yahiko.

"Ooh. Yahiko-chan's got a girlfriend," Kaoru taunted with a grin. Yahiko turned beet red. "Sh-shut up!" Misao decided to join in on the fun.

"Though why any girl would want such a brat is beyond me." Kaoru nodded her head in agreement.

"Yes, Tsubame-chan definitely has her work cut out keeping him in line."

"U . . ." was all a blushing Tsubame could manage.

"Like being violent, ugly women is any better!" Yahiko yelled.

"Ugly?" Both women snapped.

"I'll show you ugly." Kaoru started to roll back her sleeve. Kenshin held her back.

"Maa, koishii. Remember your promise." Kaoru furrowed her eyebrows in anger.

"Fine." Kenshin wrapped an arm around her and gave her one last kiss on the cheek.

"I think you're beautiful." Kenshin whispered, causing Kaoru to blush and smile.

"I'll see you soon Misao-dono, Tsubame-chan. Take care." Kenshin and Yahiko waved goodbye then turned to leave.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Sano-nii, look!" Sano set down the buckets of water and knelt down to observe the flowers Souji was so excited about. "It's late for flowers to be blooming." Sano smiled down at the small boy.

"Then I guess they're special flowers." The boy reached out to pluck a few of the delicate blooms.

"I bet mama would like some." Souji looked up at the young man beside him. "I think Takani-sensei would too." Sano inclined his head in agreement.

"I was just thinking the same thing." Souji handed him a small bunch of flowers.

"You should give them to her." Sano shook his head.

"Nah. It'd probably be better if you gave them to her." Souji furrowed his brows.

"You do not like Takani-sensei?" Sano laughed.

"I do, but she doesn't like me very much." Sano raised an inquisitive eyebrow, and motioned for Souji to continue.

"She smiles more when you're around and she's always looking at you." Well this was new. "Really? Anything else?" Sano asked eagerly.

"She has a nickname for you! Don't people give others they like nicknames?" Sano stared at him for a moment then laughed loudly.

"I've never thought of it that way before. Thanks, Souji-chan." He ruffled the boy's dark hair affectionately. "Heh. Well, I guess I've done stupider things in the past," he admitted while grabbing the flowers from Souji.

"May I have some water?" Souji asked, pointing at a bucket.
Sano nodded, "you've been awfully thirsty lately."

"My throat feels hot." Sano's eyebrows drew together and he reached over to feel Souji's forehead.

"You feel hot." He picked up the buckets after Souji drank his fill. "Come on, we should get you out of the cold."

.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Mommy! Look what I got you!" Souji held his flowers out proudly.

"How pretty. Thank you sweety." Yuka leaned down to kiss him. "Oh you feel warm." She looked at Sano with accusing eyes. "How could you keep him out in this cold when he isn't feeling well?" Sano held his hands up in defense.

"I brought him back as soon as I found out. Honest!"

"It's okay mommy. I don't feel that bad," Souji protested.

"Well I still want you to go inside and have one of the doctors check you out. I trust you wouldn't mind helping with that?" Yuka asked Sano critically. Clearly, her first impression of him hadn't improved any. Sano turned and left to do her bidding, grumbling all the way. It wasn't his fault Souji was sick! And even though he felt bad for unknowingly keeping Souji out in the cold while he wasn't feeling well, Sano had brought the boy back as soon as he found out.

"Kitsune." Sano kept his voice low in consideration for the sick patients. Toki walked out with a smile on his face.

"Sagara-san, is there something I can help you with?" Sano jerked his thumb over his shoulder.

"Souji-chan isn't feeling well and his mom wanted you to check on him."

"I see." The doctor's eyes briefly flicked down to observe the bunch of flowers in the other man's hand. Toki walked past Sano to hide the knowing smile growing on his face. "Megumi-chan is in the back." Sano turned in surprise to see Toki smirking at him from the doorway. "I just thought you might like to know," he added before walking out.

Sano stare dumbly after him for a moment before walking to the back and knocking on the door. "Kitsune?" he called softly. After receiving no answer to the next two calls, he opened the door. He smiled softly when he saw Megumi sleeping at the low table, her head pillowed on one of her arms. Once again she had worked until she had collapsed from exhaustion, as was evidenced by the various bowls, herbs, and papers scattered about the table.

Sano picked up a blanket and gently laid it over the sleeping doctor. "Megumi you really gotta start taking better care of yourself." He looked at the flowers in his hand, then set them down next to her head. "Heh. Its just as well, I never would have had the guts to give them to you if you were awake." He placed a stray lock of hair behind her ear before getting up. He paused in the doorway to bid her a quiet goodnight then continued on.

Megumi waited until after he was gone to open her eyes and touch the flowers in confusion. "Sano . . ."

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Kenshin reached down to pick up another stick for the fire. 'We made better time than I thought we would. We'll probably reach Akayama by mid-morning, early afternoon at the latest.' He stopped and sighed. What he really wanted to do was turn around and head back home. It was funny how quickly he had become attached to the dojo. Even before he returned from Kyoto, he had subconsciously regarded it as his home. Kenshin smiled then; no it wasn't really the dojo he thought of as home, it was Kaoru. Most people seemed to be under the impression that he held their little surrogate family together, but he knew better. Wherever Kaoru went, he would follow and he would be happy.

'But you aren't going back home,' he told himself sternly. 'You're going to help those villagers, just as you promised.' He tensed for a moment when he felt the presence of a stranger, then silently proceeded to the camp he and Yahiko had made. His eyes darkened and his hand automatically reached for the hilt of his sword when he saw a man coming up behind Yahiko.

Yahiko turned around and stared at the scruffy looking man. "Something tells me you aren't here for the company."

"Heh. You are very observant for someone so young. Well then, I'll get right to the point." He flashed his knife, learning from his experience with Aoshi to have it out and ready ahead of time. "Just hand over all of your money and food, and I won't hurt you." He reached out to swipe at Yahiko. Yahiko easily knocked the knife out of the man's hand, then landed a hit to the man's head, effectively knocking him down.

Yahiko turned and beamed at Kenshin when he heard the man walk toward him. "He went down easily." Kenshin smiled and inclined his head.

"You have improved." He looked down at the fallen man who was whimpering like a baby. "I would turn you into the authorities, but they are too far away." He glared at him coldly. "So instead I will tell you to stop terrorizing innocent people. And if I ever find out that you still are, I will turn you in. No matter how far away we are. Do you understand?"

The man nodded as rapidly as his aching head allowed. After having his face smashed in, being threatened at sword-point, taken down by a runt, and encountering a man with the scary, scary eyes all in the course of a week, he was starting to think stealing was to dangerous of a career anyway.

"Do you need help tending to your wounds?" The man stared at Kenshin and slowly shook his head. He had just attacked these people and the guy was offering to help him? He just couldn’t figure the red-head out.

Kenshin nodded his head sharply, "then I suggest you leave." Once again the man found himself running as fast as he could.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Aoshi studiously paid attention to making sure the creases in the paper crane were folded correctly. Not an easy task considering the paper was small and his hands were large. Once finished he handed the crane to the girl sitting next to him. "Thank you Aoshi-nii!" She smiled brightly.

"Make me on too!" Souji tugged on Aoshi's coat. Aoshi nodded and set to the task of making another crane.

Megumi paused on her way over to their temporary residence to observe Aoshi. Seeing him listen patiently to children's chatter would have been on her "highly unlikely" list, had she ever thought about it. Yet here he was, doing just that. Megumi smirked, he was probably used to it from the weasel girl.

"Is there something I can help you with?" Aoshi had felt Megumi's eyes boring in to him for the past minute. Megumi was more startled than she should have been, considering she knew how observant Aoshi was. Megumi wore the closest thing to a genuine smile she ever had around the man.

"I was just thinking, that you seem to be good with children." She paused briefly. "I had not expected that." Perhaps the heartless monster she once knew had changed. Changed into a man who regretted his past mistakes and made up for them the best way he knew how; just like Kenshin.

Aoshi looked off to the ending sunrise on the horizon. His mind absently noted the sound of the doctor's footsteps as she walked off. The comment had reminded him of a conversation he had had with Kenshin a few years ago.

The female members of the Oniwabanshuu had gone to town with Kaoru and Megumi for a "girls day out." Aoshi had stayed back at the dojo when Ayame and Suzume had asked him to play with them. Kenshin watched as the ninja made paper cranes for the two girls and smiled his Rurouni grin.

"You are good with children." Aoshi simply continued on, showing none of the pride or softness one usually did when paid such a compliment.

"I used to make them for Misao." Kenshin noticed that a ghost of a smile played on Aoshi's face when he said this.

"You care for her."

"I helped raise her."

"Is that all?"
Aoshi didn't answer his question. "Misao-dono is no longer a child."

Kenshin hadn't said anything more after that. But what he had said was true. Though she still held her child-like enthusiasm for life, she had matured into a courageous, intelligent woman who could stay level-headed in a stressful situation. Kaoru's labor being a case-in-point.

Perhaps it was time he learned Misao's feelings on entering a relationship. He knew she wouldn't wait forever, already she had stopped chasing him. But the fact that she remained by his side gave him hope. Aoshi mentally nodded to himself. Yes, as soon as he got back he would talk to Misao.

His face remained unchanged, yet his heart remained lighter than it had in years.

.-.-.-.-.-.-

Megumi set up her futon, then situated her vase of flowers in such a way that she could look at them as she drifted of to sleep. It was yet another mystery in Sano’s increasingly odd behavior.

She watched Sayo as she changed into her yukata. She was the only one still sleeping, everyone else had started their day. So Megumi was left alone to think.

It was clear that the young girl had an infatuation, Megumi refused to call it love, on Sano. Yet, she didn't know if the feelings were reciprocated. Yes, he smiled and joked with her, yet he did the same Kaoru. And she knew he didn't feel that way about her. She was just his friend, his jou-chan. Yet Megumi couldn't stop the nagging thought that Sayo and Kaoru were the kind of women Sano deserved, needed.

Women who were pure and cheerful and could offer comfort. Not women who were stained with blood and had a heavy heart that needed comforting itself.

Not a woman like Megumi.

At times like these she would remind herself that he had saved her, so he must have seen something in her. But he hated her so much back then, she could see it, feel it. Sometimes she felt the only reason he saved her was because Kenshin was there, and he wouldn't have been happy that Sano had let her kill herself. But if that was the case then Kenshin could have just as easily saved her.

But he didn't. He just stood in the doorway, blocking Kaoru and Yahiko from getting in in one of his rare, authoritative moments. He had allowed Sano to grab the blade, to injure himself, to yell at her. Sano had yelled at her how stupid she was for trying to kill herself after all their hard work.

And maybe that was the reason, he didn't want to see his hard work amount to nothing. Or maybe he didn't like seeing people commit suicide. Who knew? Only Sano did.

She did know that Sano didn't hate her know. He tolerated her and argued with her. They were friendly arguments, yes, but still, it wasn't what she wanted.

She wanted to laugh with him. Like Sayo and Kaoru did. And even Kenshin and Yahiko.

She wanted to comfort him when he got that sad, lost look in his eyes.

She wanted the right to care for his injuries as more than just a doctor.

But she knew it was impossible. And it hurt.

'That's right,' Megumi smiled bitterly. 'You always were one to reach for the stars. Only it looks this time the star burned you back.'

-

I know they probably didn't know that stars were hot at that time, but let's just pretend. Okay?

The above conversation between Aoshi and Kenshin really did take place. I don't know the episode title or number, but it was in the last year. Aoshi, Okon, and Omasu had come up to retrieve Misao. He stayed back while the women went out for the day. (And Yahiko and Sano got into all sorts of trouble following the women around because they were jealous that the women got to eat at a good restaurant without inviting them.) :)

Shameless plug: I posted a S/M one-shot entitled “I Miss You”. Check it out if you want to. :)

RECOMMENDED FANFIC: "Closing the Distance" by Aku-Ai. Sano gets sick. Megumi takes care of him. What's not to like about that? :)

My Reviewers

lucerito-del-alma:
Thank you for being my 100th reviewer! I’m glad you like this story so much. :)
Devin: I like your e-mail address. :) Thanks for reviewing. :)

Zelianyu (Aka Zerianyu): Hey, I’m really sorry about what happened to your account. What story deal? Do you mean the contest. Ah, it’s finished now. Maybe I’ll try it again some other time, since no one entered anything. Thanks for your review. :)

M.Kasshoku: Darn! You just made it tougher on me you know that? I hadn’t thought about further interactions between the three. I knew it was going to happen, I just hadn’t thought about it. (I’m always doing stupid stuff like that.) Well, thanks for making me notice anyway. :) I’m glad you think I have a good grasp of his personality. (Because I find myself floundering when it comes to writing him.) Thanks for letting me know what Aoshi calls Okina. (I knew it wasn’t Jiya, I just couldn’t remember what he did call him. And I had no access to such info.) Thanks for your review. :) I always look forward to them. :)

EvilPinkFuzzle: My cousin likes your user name. :) Well, an unpleasant doesn’t sound very good, so I guess I’ll update. Thanks for your review. :)

Story Weaver1: Yeah, he probably did, even if he didn’t know who Aoshi was. :) I don’t really think it is either, but I was keeping in mind that their previous experiences with Sano mostly consisted of him acting very irresponsibly. At that time, he was still too much of a kid himself. (But in his defense, if he ever became a father, he probably would’ve straightened up soon enough.) Thanks for reviewing my one-shot. Now that I think about, Kenshin having a job is kind of strange. I don’t know what I was thinking. Thanks for your review. I always look forward to them. :)

Shadow Koneko: You have such a pretty name. :) Thanks for your review. :)

WorthlessShadow: Oh, your welcome. No need to thank me. :) I have a question, in your reviews lately. You’ve been ending them with “I” Is there a reason for that? Just curious. Thanks for your review. :)

Rivertam: Thanks for your review. :)

mangamaniac: Well, its my interpretation of it (for this story.) I’ve never seen anything official containing Kenji’s birth. No, leprosy kills you very slowly, its a horrible disease that rots your skin. And it’s highly contagious. They have medication for it now, but I don’t know about back then. Small pox would have been good, but I don’t know if they had it over there. Thank you for your reviews. :)

Lara: I understand. Yes, I have more SM stories planned. Did you review my one-shot? Well if that was you thank you. And thanks for your review of this story too. :)

Crewel: No need to thank me. Just doing my job as a writer. :) Updating that is. And if your referring to the fact that I had a little more Sano/Meg time, well, it is their story. lol Sometimes, I seem to forget that. :) Thanks for your review. :)

Nyako: Why thank you. That’s very nice of you. :) Thanks for your review. :)

sabella/pan: See? I was right. I knew you’d like it. :) Oh, nobody entered my contest, so you don’t have to worry about judging anything. Maybe next time. I’m glad you liked the update! Thanks for your review. :)

I’m sure somebody asked me what “koishii” means, but I can’t find the review. Anyway, it means “darling.”

I would like to thank the following people for putting this story on their favorites list: Anaii, Box Turtle, Deadmunki, eclectic mermaid, Golden sky, Indy Croft, Kitsune-Tenshi-16, Lady Katherine 2, lucerito-del-alma, mangamaniac, Michiru Bautista, mushi-azn, Nyako, Princess Lady Subaru, Rivertam, sabella/pan, Shahrezad1, starmelody, and SweetMisery49. It means a lot to me, especially considering that space is limited.

See you in September!