Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Someone to Watch Over Me; Chap: 9

Many thanks to my beta-readers Pinay Tiger and Night Imp.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.:)

-

Sano knocked on the door of the temporary quarantine. A very tired looking Megumi opened the door.

"Hey kitsune," Sano grinned, "the kids and I decided you've been in here too long and need a break. We're going down to the creek for a bath and thought you might like to join us. The girls especially want to learn more about the onna-sensei." Megumi crossed her arms and tossed her hair. A bath did sound nice, but not around such a perverted pea-brain.

"I suppose you expect me to bathe with you?" Sano smirked.

"Actually, the girls and boys bathe in separate areas. But," he added in a deeper voice. "I'd be willing to accept your offer." Megumi narrowed her eyes.

"Baka," she muttered hotly. "I don't have time for this nonsense."

"Hey," Sano touched her arm. "I'm just worried about you. You've been working practically since we got here."

"Well I can't just leave these people," she made a sweeping gesture toward the patients. "Some of them are very close to death. I have to stay with them until Toki-kun gets back with the medicine."

"I'll watch them," Sano offered without hesitation. Surprise was evident on Megumi's face, she wasn't used to him volunteering to help without prompting from others. And so swiftly too.

"That's very kind of you Sano but I'm afraid I can't let you do that. What if you catch the fever? You interact with the others so much you could easily spread it to them." And though she wouldn't admit it even to herself, it would upset her to see him sick.

"Well you can't just stay here and work yourself to death!" Sano whispered fiercely. Megumi put a hand to her head in a weary manner.

"Sano I appreciate your concern. I promise when Toki-kun gets back I'll take a break." She stopped for a second. "Hey, wait a minute. Why am I making promises to you? I have sick patients to take care of. Out! Out!" Megumi shoved him outside then leaned against the door after she slammed it behind him. Stupid man, getting her all confused and saying things she didn't mean. After all, only friends made promises like that.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Well," Sano grinned and scratched his head to cover his embarrassment. "I guess that's that." Souji cocked his head and wrinkled his brow.

"Is everything okay? She seemed kinda mad," he whispered softly. Sano grimaced, in his opinion Souji's mother was a little too strict concerning the boy's discipline. As a result he was unusually skittish and often thought people were "mad" whenever they raised their voice.

"Eh, don't worry about it kid." Sano picked the boy up and set him on his shoulders. "Kitsune usually gets grumpy when she's tired, it'll pass." Sayo tossed her head haughtily.

"If you ask me she was very rude and ungrateful." She couldn't understand how anyone in their right mind would refuse time spent with the great Sagara Sanosuke.

"She's just tired because she's overworked herself." It had become obvious to him that Sayo was jealous of Megumi. And even though Sano still wasn't positive, he thought it might have something to do with the crush the girl had on him. Yes, Sano was more observant than many people gave him credit for and thusly had noticed her infatuation.

Sometimes Sano wondered why he hadn't fallen for someone like Sayo. She was cute, cheerful, albeit sometimes annoying and she obviously liked him.

But no, he had to lose his heart to a beautiful, intelligent, frustrating doctor who was too classy for street trash that wouldn't even have a last name if they were still in the Tokugawa era. 'Yep, you sure know how to screw you're life up Sano.'

Such thoughts depressed him though, and he would rather think of more cheerful things. Such as how much Souji looked up to him. Having been associated by such powerful people as Kenshin and his taichou this was the first time he had ever experienced the feeling for himself and he had to admit it was quite pleasant.

It was also a heavy responsibility and he discovered, partly, why the two of them were often so serious. Sano wondered, idly, if this was what fatherhood felt like. He had never considered having children before and he knew that far more work was involved than what he had put in during the last few days. Still the thought of helping a child learn right from wrong, of seeing unmarked joy on it's face and knowing he put it there gave Sano such a feeling of excitement and contentment that he had never expected.

Maybe some day . . .

'Right,' Sano thought bitterly. 'You have so much to offer a child. And women are just lining up at the chance to start a family with you. Feh.'

So much for cheerful thoughts, Sano thought with a rueful grin.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Megumi sighed as she attended to her current patient, a little girl who was clearly not going to make it. There was nothing for Megumi to do but make the girl as comfortable as possible and prepare herself for losing a patient.

Megumi rolled her head from side-to-side, trying to work the kinks out her neck before she got up to change the water for the cooling cloths. Each day Sano and a few of the boys would bring fresh water from the creek for the patients and older villagers to use.

Before he left Japan, Sano would help others, but it was always in a big way. Like when he had left for Kyoto to help Kenshin. But know he was thoughtful of little things too, and more courteous in general. It was just more evidence that the irresponsible teenager was gone and had matured into a man she couldn't help but be proud of.

The children in the village adored him, Souji even tried to copy his every move.

A grin tugged at Megumi's lips when the thought hit her that he had the potential to make a good father. That was such a strange thought – Sano being a father. He would probably be starting a family soon, considering that he seemed more settled now. Megumi found herself disturbed by this idea, much to her annoyance.

'What should I care what he does,' she thought with a vicious twist to a wet cloth. 'It's not as if I haven't received a few proposals myself.' Somehow though, all her suitors seemed to come up short, or she would use her dedication to her job as an excuse to refuse them.

Megumi sighed and ran a hand through one boy's sweaty hair, she really hoped Toki got back with the medicine soon.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Aoshi worked to repress an open smirk. Either the person behind him was a fellow traveler and so he didn't care that he could be heard a mile away, or he was a very inept thief.

Had Aoshi been a gambling man he would have wagered on the latter. He waited until the man was close behind him before turning around to face him.

"Is there something I can help you with?" An amused glint flashed through the ninja's eyes as the man visibly startled.

"Uh, hand over all your money and food. And don't try anything funny 'cause I have a knife!" The thief fumbled with the folds of his gi to pull out a small dagger with a trembling hand. Aoshi wanted to roll his eyes. The man didn't even deserve to be called a thief.

"That's nice," Aoshi removed his blades from their sheath to hold them in front of him. "But I have two." He turned the handles over, observing the kodachi with what appeared to be an admiring gaze.

"It's been some time since I've tested their sharpness. Perhaps you would like to volunteer?" The man's breath hitched in his throat as he felt cold steel touch his skin.

Aoshi raised an eyebrow. "No?" Sweat trickled down the man's face as he choked in his attempt to speak.

Aoshi removed his sword from the man's neck. "You aren't even worth my time. Leave now." The man tripped backwards and ran like he had never ran before, leaving Aoshi to calmly resheath his kodachi and resume his course.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Eventually Aoshi came across Toki and his friends transporting the medicine. Toki waved to him.

"Hello friend, you know it isn't very safe to travel this road alone. There some very unsavory characters looking to take advantage of others."

Aoshi nodded, "I already ran into one man who looked like he was at the losing end of a previous . . . meeting."

Toki smiled, "I never said they were smart. Forgive me for being rude, I should have introduced myself sooner. My name is Etsuko Toki."

"Shinomori Aoshi."

"May I ask in what direction you are heading?"

"Akayama." Toki's face brightened.

"Well that's the same direction we're heading in. Are you one of Megumi-chan and Sano's friends?" Aoshi was loathed to be called "friends" with those two idiots - especially Sagara - but nodded his head anyway.

"Yes, I know them."

"Then I thank you for your assistance, it is much appreciated." Aoshi nodded his head in response. Toki cleared his throat. He hadn't thought Megumi's friend would be so intimidating.

"It's very important that we get this medicine to the sick as quickly as possible. Do you mind if we continue with out stopping to rest for the night?"

"No."

"Not very talkative is he?" one boy whispered to Toki. The doctor simply shushed him.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Toki had to laugh at his arrogance by the time he stumbled into Akayama. He had been worried that Aoshi might not make it traveling all night, but the tall man looked like he could do it all over again if need be, while he could barely stand in one spot with out falling over. He waved over to Yamada when she came out to greet them.

"Shinomori-san, this is Yamada-san. She can show you where you'll be staying and where they need your help." It occurred to Toki as he weaved a path over to the quarantine, that any observers were probably shocked at his unusually rude behavior. But at the moment he didn't care about anything except getting the medicine to the patients then falling into his futon. Which was why he was a little upset to find Megumi asleep. Well he was just going to have to wake her up; no way was he going to administer all of the medicine on his own.

"Megumi-chan?" He shook her gently. "Megumi-chan wake up." Megumi's eyelids fluttered and she mumbled Sano's name. Toki grinned, he would definitely tease her about that later.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but it's just an old friend calling you to work." Megumi yawned and rubbed her eyes.

"Toki-kun?"

"Hey, sleepy-head," he smiled at her. "I need your help in administering the medicine to our patients. And then-" His sentence was broken by a yawn. "Then I'm going to bed. By the way, we met your friend Shinomori-san on our way back here." Megumi stilled for a moment, then went back to preparing the medicine.

"Aoshi-san is merely an acquaintance." Aoshi was a living reminder of her horrible past. The fact that he had held her captive to work for the man she hated with all her being didn't help her opinion of him either. Toki sensed it was a sensitive subject and muttered an apology before carrying on with his work.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Aoshi was used to being stared at, but still found himself tiring of it rather quickly today. Many villagers had given him curious smiles that quickly turned into miffed expressions when he just ignored them. If only Misao was here then things might be different. He was a warrior and didn't deal well with the niceties of society.

Aoshi chastised himself for thinking of Misao, barely 24 hours out of her presence and he was already mulling over the little spitfire. Perhaps Jiya was right and he did care for her in ways that he didn't want to admit to. Ways that weren't befitting of a man who had known and helped raise her since she was born.

Aoshi turned when he felt more eyes boring into the back of his head. He surprised to find it was Sanosuke instead of another curious villager.

Sano crossed his arms. "Been awhile hasn't it?" Aoshi raised an eyebrow, trying to figure out where he could possibly be going with this. He didn't think the man was one for small talk.

"Look," Sano continued, "it's great that you're helping these people and everything. But if you hurt Megumi while we're here -"

"I never hurt Megumi-san."

"Well, you certainly didn't help her when Kanryuu hurt her. You even brought her back when she tried to escape!"

"It wasn't my job to help or care about her. But," he added as Sano's eyes started to burn. "I do regret my actions."

"How nice," Sano's voice was hard. "I guess that's how you're able to live with yourself."

"I don't have to explain myself to you." Sano clicked his teeth together and turned sharply on his heel.

"Follow me, you might as well do some good while you're here."

-

That was a little on the short side, wasn't it? Hm. Sorry.

I know Aoshi doesn't call Jiya by that name, but I couldn't think of his real name. All that was coming to mind was Okon and Okuni. (Both females and one's not even from RK!) So I figured I'd stick with Jiya so as not to confuse you. :)

I'm hosting a fanfic challenge/contest on my site. If you're interested it's open until July 1st. You can check out my site for rules. :)

Recommended Fanfic: "Fire", "Spark", and "Glow" by Ashfae. This is a series of oneshots that could have been posted as one story, but it's the author's choice, right? Anyway, the first and second chapters are Meg's and Sano's POV's (respectively) about the same day and the third chap is a third person POV about the next day. It's very cool, very sweet, very dramatic, little angsty and definitely worth your time! :)

My Reviewers

Lara - A good point, but personally I think Megumi would have tried to commit suicide when she first started working for him. She did try to commit suicide before she knew Kenshin and the others came to save her, but Sano stopped her in time. (So sweet.) One theory I heard as to why she held out so long working for Kanryuu is she was hoping she might find whatever was left of her family. Thanks for your review! :)

Crewel-chan - Please forgive me if I don't address any of your questions. I don't have access to your review right now, so I am responding to it from memory. Thanks for encouraging me, it's always nice to hear from a fellow SM fan. :) And thanks for the pics. I promise I'll download them on my site, some day. When I get the energy and a faster computer. lol. Thanks for your review! :)

M. Kasshoku - Wow, another story of mine you read and reviewed! I can't believe it! I felt so happy and wiggly inside when I saw your review. (You know how little kids wiggle in their seat when they're really excited. That's what I mean.) :) I'm glad you like what I'm doing. I wanted to do more for the birth of K&K's baby, but then I reminded myself that this isn't their story. So in another one I'll just have to include their thoughts and emotions during the birth. :) I don't think I've ever been an inspiration before. But you don't have to give me credit if you do write it. I've found that once a story is finally finished it has become so much its own creation that it hardly even resembles the original inspiration, so credit isn't really necessary. It was my pleasure to recommend your story, I felt it deserved it. :) Have a good day (night, whatever) and thanks for reviewing! :)

Princess Lady Subaru - Yep, I plan to keep writing. I think this should be finished in another four to eight chapters. :) And I promise plenty of fluff in between. Thanks for your review! :)

Rivertam - Two reviews in one update, I think this is the first time this story has had such an honor. :) Yes, it is funny which is why the creator put it in there I'm sure. :) Thanks for reminding me to continue, I'm glad you like it so much. :)

Story Weaver1 - Thank you. I thought I might take a more light-hearted approach to Kenji's birth because next time a write a story with his birth in it I want it to be more serious. I have absolutely no idea what Aoshi thinks about, except fighting and his fallen comrades, so I took some liberties. Who knows, maybe that is what he thinks about. :) Thanks for your review!

WorthlessShadow - Okay, here you are. And thanks for your review! :)

sabella/pan - Much to everyone's relief I'm sure. :) I sent something in? What was it I don't remember. Who won? Have you ever read Samurai Deeper Kyo. It is very cool. I think you would like it. (I think that just about any Kenshin fan would like it.) Thanks for your review! You always leave such nice, thoughtful ones. :)

chibi-yumi - Thank you! :)

Galadriel Hermione Potter - Now you don't have to wait any longer. Thanks for reviewing! :)

My shout-out list( author alerts and favorites): Box Turtle, chmsweety, Shade16, Katrina5, Setzu, MysticalElfGoddess, Kaoru4, Scented Candles, Stardust Angel2, MoodSightEyes, Story Weaver1, sabella/pan, Miko Kagome Archer, Horosha no Kage, Kitsune-Tenshi-16, are-en1, Julie7, Phoenix Rises, Yukimaru, Vision2, La Magdalena, ixchen, K1dgey, sataness-ov-desire, anime-lover93, Mystique1909, Pinay Tiger, whitesparkles99, Minni May Yukibara, gaby (hyat, SailorNeo, CEEGEE, Cursed Lone Wolf, TanukiGirl22, Lyphta, Miko no Kokoro, tvsweetie, Night Imp, Anarane221, EverKitsune, Princess Lady Subaru, x.Miserable.Bliss.x, evilteddybear, Michelada, glasclach, xh3LLox, Prince Aoshi, Elowen Elrondion, koorime-princess12, XxSilentxDreamerxX, The Monster in your Dreams, MeMyselfandI3737, Wren Yang, horse-crazy-gurl, unknown beedee, swimchick1614, TinyTerry, ash211, sold my soul for cheese-cake, jmj102, violetjewelz, RedAndBlackDragon, rdeveranime, Reignashii, Mistress de Winter, LeyaBabe, CrypticMaidenRK, WorthlessShadow, roxygrlygoddess, Sapphirefoxgirl, AngelBabie4u, angelic-kuti, Kodora Fairy, pyramidgirl89, aznangel91, animeinsomniac, Lisica, Via x Infinito, devilish angel 4eva, royal blueKitsune, upsidedownfrown, vixenia, Strawberry'd, Emyralld, DiDiHoney, De Lazy Lime, starmelody, dubious, Lady Katherine2, Time Mistress, kakashi-fan, Bushido2, animelover222222, Starr Stealer, Jessica88

I appreciate your encouragement. :)

Converting /tmp/phpjNZ1yP to /dev/stdout