Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hello, I want to make an announcement before I forget. :)

sabella/pan is having a winter fanfiction contest. It is open to any pairing, but it must have a winter theme. If you're interested check out her web site at http : // www . freewebs . com / sabellapan (take out the spaces).

I would also like to thank Brittanie Love and Night Imp for being my beta-readers. I'm very sorry, Brittanie for forgetting to send you the last chap of To Love Again. It just totally slipped my mind.

I'm sorry if Aoshi is OOC. I've never written him before.

Title: Someone to Watch Over Me; Chap:8
-----------------------------------------------------

" Kaoru-san, I'll get that for you." Kaoru smiled at the young girl as she took the tea tray from her.

Even though Kenshin was staying home today, he wanted Tsubame to help Kaoru while he and Yahiko fixed the roof before the rains started. Of course that didn't mean Kaoru readily agreed. Still, she had to admit the extra help was nice. Especially as her contractions kept increasing.

Speaking of contractions, a particularly painful one was coming right now. Kaoru bit her lip to keep from groaning in pain. Kaoru was torn about what to do. Megumi had told her that it would probably take awhile before the baby was born and she didn't want to call Genzai-sensei only to have him wait a long time. But her contractions were definitely getting worse.

"Kaoru-san?" Kaoru looked up to see Tsubame's worried expression.

"I'm fine Tsubame." She gave her a reassuring smile. "If you would just help me up, please?" Kaoru waggled her fingers comically, earning a giggle from the shy girl.
1111111111111

"Kenshin? Yahiko?" Kaoru listened for a response. Nothing. Not even a peep. "Mou. Why is it men are never around when you actually want them?" She groused. Tsubame giggled nervously, she hoped Kaoru wasn't about to give in to her famous temper. "Especially when they're supposed to be working too." Kaoru's eyebrow twitched. Not a good sign.

"I mean Yahiko I could understand, that boy's so lazy. But Kenshin . . . "

"Well excuse me for having to pee, busu. I figured you'd rather I use the outhouse to do that." Kaoru punched Yahiko in the face.

"Baka! Do you really think I want to hear about that?" Yahiko rubbed his bruise.

"Yeah, well who are you to call us lazy anyway? You're the one who just sits around all day barking out orders."

Kaoru's eyes turned red at that statement and a vein popped out on her forehead. "Yahiko-CHAN," she growled.

She lunged for him, but with her added bulk Yahiko easily dodged her.

"Ha! You've gotten so fat, there's no way you can touch me." Kaoru stopped short at Yahiko's taunt, not knowing whether she wanted to cry or yell.

"Yahiko! How could you?!" Tsubame scolded him.

"Yahiko that is enough, that it is," Kenshin suddenly reprimanded him from behind.

Yahiko had the grace to blush. "Sheesh. All right I'm sorry," he grumbled.

Kenshin grabbed two of the cups from the tea tray and guided a still disgruntled Kaoru over to the porch. They both silently sipped their tea for a few minutes before Kaoru asked Kenshin why he hadn't answered her when she called him earlier. He rubbed his neck and gave an embarrassed chuckle.

"I fell asleep, that I did." Kaoru looked at him dumbfounded.

"On the roof?" How was that even possible?

"Well you've been fidgeting and going to the bathroom so much lately. And every time you move I wake up. I really haven't been getting much sleep the last few weeks." Kaoru's eyes narrowed.

"So this is all my fault? What do you think I'm going through?!"

"Kaoru I wasn't trying to blame you for anything. I was just trying to explain." Kaoru crossed her arms and turned her back to him.

"Koishii please don't be like this. I said I was sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." Kenshin tried to put his hand on her shoulder, but Kaoru jerked away violently. Suppressing a sigh, Kenshin moved around so that he was squatting in front of his wife. "Kaoru, look at me please." This time Kenshin gave into his urge to sigh when Kaoru kept her eyes averted.

"I know these last few months have been hard on all of us, especially you. That's why I don't want this to turn into an argument." He reached a cautious hand out to stroke her cheek. "I want us to enjoy the time we spend with each other," he murmured.

Kaoru finally raised her eyes to meet him and softened when she saw his pleading expression. "Mou, you make it too easy to forgive you." Kenshin smiled his sweet smile and moved his thumb down to stroke her bottom lip.

"Mm. And that's a bad thing?" He was laughing at her. Kaoru just knew it.

"It is when I want to stay mad at you," she pouted.

Kenshin's thumb stopped moving and he leaned forward until he was only a hair's-breadth away from her. "But I like it better when you're happy," he whispered before catching her lips in a kiss. He kept it very light so she could break it off if she hadn't totally forgiven him yet. Apparently she had because she started kissing him back. Kenshin threaded his fingers through her hair and angled his head so he could deepen the kiss. Both of them were fast forgetting that they had an audience as Kaoru teased Kenshin's bottom lip with her teeth. Kenshin smiled to himself. Oh yes. He liked it much better when she was happy.

"Eww, gross! You two have a room for that you know." Kenshin and Kaoru jerked away from each other at Yahiko's sudden interruption.

"Brat." Kaoru grumbled. "I hope he has kids just like him someday." Kenshin didn't say anything, but silently he agreed. Kenshin looked down at Kaoru when he heard her whimper slightly.

"Kaoru are you all right? Is it the baby?" He asked anxiously.
"Well what else would it be?" Kaoru snapped. She regretted it before she even saw his hurt expression. "I'm sorry Kenshin. It's just that I hurrrrrtttttt." Kaoru dragged the last word out on a slight shriek when the worst contraction she had felt, so far, hit.

Kenshin tried desperately to quell his rising panic, which was difficult given his history as a class A worrywart. "Perhaps it would help if you lied down." Kenshin forced himself to talk slowly as if that would help calm the situation.

"I don't know if I can move." Kaoru said through clenched teeth.

"We can do this as slowly as you need to, okay?" Kenshin brushed some hair out of her face and smiled reassuringly. Kaoru nodded and took a shaky breath.

"Okay." Kaoru slowly stood up with Kenshin's help. They were halfway to the door when Kaoru stopped and looked at Kenshin with a startled expression.

"Kaoru, wha-?" Kenshin stopped mid-sentence and watched with wide eyes as water trickled down from between Kaoru's legs, staining the wooden boards.

"Yahiko! Go get Genzai-sensei now!"
1111111111111111111111111111

Aoshi was not having fun.

Yes, contrary to popular belief Aoshi enjoyed several pastimes.

There was the simple pleasure of having tea. The contentment he felt when Misao sat next to him, talking about her day (until she went on too long and he wanted to gag her). The calm of meditation. The exhilaration of fighting a worthy opponent.

And then there was the forbidden temptation that was Misao. Her bright eyes, her cheerful smile, her upbeat attitude -- the way she looked in her ninja outfit. Which led Aoshi back to why he was so unhappy; there were other men staring at her. Aoshi leveled a cold glare at one unfortunate fellow. He was going to have to find a way to convince her to wear a kimono so she would be better covered. Perhaps if he just asked her, she would be willing to do it? She always seemed to be willing to do anything he asked, sometimes even before he said anything. Aoshi's thoughts were interrupted when he heard Misao yelling.

"Hey, Yahiko-chan! Get over here!" Yahiko stopped, bending over to catch his breath.

"Sorry . . . can't talk . . . weasel-girl."

Misao's eye twitched. It figured he would insult her despite being out of breath. The brat would probably be on his death bed and still find the energy to insult people. If it wasn't for the fact she was trying to become more ladylike for her Aoshi-sama she would have clobbered the boy a good one.

"So what's the rush anyway?"

"Busu's having her baby and I have to go get Genzai-sensei!" Misao perked up at hearing that.

"Aoshi-sama we have to hurry! Maybe there's something I can do to help Kaoru-chan."
?????????????????????????????????????

Kenshin and Kaoru were resting between contractions. Actually just Kaoru was resting but Kenshin was glad she was getting a break. He dipped a washcloth into some water and patted the sweat from her face. Kaoru smiled faintly at her husband in appreciation.
"That feels much better anata, thank you." Their quiet moment was broken by the sound of running feet and a loud female voice.

"I'm telling you. We're friends of the Himuras. We aren't here to hurt them!" The other person's response couldn't be heard, but it obviously upset Misao. "Mou, stop cowering like that! There's nothing to be afraid of!" Kaoru chuckled.

"I think you should go rescue Tsubame-chan." Kenshin nodded in agreement. His lips twitched into a smile when he saw a very red-faced Misao yelling at a very red-faced Tsubame. Poor thing.

"Misao-dono, Shinomori-san, I'm glad to see you made it safely." Tsubame looked from Kenshin to Aoshi and Misao.

"You know them?"

"Of course he does! That's what I've been trying to tell you!" Tsubame ducked her head and wrung her hands, wishing she had her tea tray to hide behind.

"I-I didn't know. I-I'm so sorry." Kenshin patted her shoulder.

"You didn't know Tsubame. You were trying to do the right thing that was very brave of you." Tsubame lifted her head to look at Kenshin, her blushing increasing as she returned his warm smile.

"Thank you." She whispered.

Misao scuffed her toe and hung her head in guilt and embarrassment over her actions toward the girl. "I guess I kinda overreacted." She shrugged her shoulders. "And well, I'm sorry." She had never been very good at apologizing.

"Kenshin?" Kaoru's voice called faintly. "What's taking so long?"

Kenshin ran over and kneeled by Kaoru's side. "Are they getting worse?" Kaoru nodded her head.

"Closer." She panted. Misao patted her hand.

"Don't worry Kaoru-chan. I know what to do. I helped deliver Okon's baby." She clapped her hands together. "Okay people lets get busy here! Himura find some clean sheets that you don't mind getting stained. Kaoru-chan, you should get undressed. Aoshi-sama, get some water around to use for cleaning. "You," she pointed at Tsubame, "get lots of clean towels." Everybody stared at her in shock. She had never shown such authority before.

Misao stamped her foot. "Move it!" Everybody scrambled to do her bidding.

"Misao-chan, do I really have to get undressed?"

"Of course Kaoru-chan," Misao replied as she helped Kaoru out of her kimono. "You wouldn't want to ruin your clothes would you?"

"No, it's just I don't want anybody to you know, see me." She blushed at the thought.

Misao smiled. "Don't worry, it will just be you and I until the doctor gets here."

"What about Kenshin?" Misao looked at her friend quizzically.

"What about him?"

"Won't he be in here too?"

Misao stared at her.

"Kaoru-chan, men don't stay in the room while the baby's being born. Only women."

"I just . . . I just . . . I don't think I can do this alone Misao." Kaoru started crying, not caring that she was supposed to be a tough kenjutsu instructor. Right now all that mattered to her was that she was scared, hurting, unsure of herself and she needed Kenshin there to comfort her.

Kaoru felt strong arms surround her and a face press against her cheek. "I'm not going anywhere." Kenshin pressed a kiss to her jaw. "I planned on staying right here with you." Kaoru smiled and reached up to squeeze his hand.

"Thank you." She whispered. She turned to look at him. "I guess you think I'm acting rather silly, ne?"

Kenshin shook his head and wiped her tears. "I'm scared too."

"I'm glad I'm not the only one."

Misao shrugged her shoulders. "Fine, you can stay if you want to. I don't care. But I'll warn you Himura that she might say some nasty things if she gets mad later on."

Kenshin sweatdropped. "Don't worry Misao-dono." 'I'm used to it.'

Misao nodded her head. "All right then, let's get to work!"
??????????????????????????

"Misao! Can't you get it out of there?!"

"I'm doing the best that I can! It's your job to push it out!"

It had been several hours since Yahiko had come back telling them that Gensai-sensei was out, but he had left a note for the doctor.

Kaoru shook her head in frustration. "I can't do this!"

"Yes, you can Kaoru. You're a strong woman."

"Shut up Kenshin! This is all you're fault. From now, on you're sleeping in Yahiko's room."

"Oro! B-but Kaoru I thought you said you didn't want our child to be an only child."

"I changed my mind!"

Misao glared at them. "Will you two discuss your sleeping arrangements later?! Right now Kaoru needs to push. I can see the baby's head."

Finally! It was going to be over soon.

"That's it Kaoru," Misao coached her, "just one more push and it should be out! Now push hard !"

Kaoru pushed with a final ear-piercing shriek, gripping Kenshin's hand so tightly he feared he may never regain use of it. Their efforts were rewarded however, when Kaoru's screams were replaced with a baby's cries.

"Congratulations you two! It's a boy!" Misao quickly cleaned him off and wrapped him in a towel, then handed him to his parents.

"Oh, Kenshin isn't he beautiful?" Kenshin nodded his head and brushed his knuckles against her cheek.

"I'm so proud of you Kaoru."

Kaoru blushed and looked back down at their new son. The baby sneezed causing both parents to gush over him. "Kenshin! That was his first sneeze!" Kaoru's eyes shone with excitement.

"And did you see how his face scrunched up? So adorable." Kenshin commented.

'Oh crud. They're going to be those kind of parents.' Misao thought darkly.

"Kenshin, would you like to hold him?" He looked almost painfully at his son. He ached to hold him, but what if he hurt the boy? Kenshin would never forgive himself if that happened.

"I-I might hurt him Kaoru."

"Kenshin," Kaoru gently chided, "what are you going to do? Not hold him forever because you might hurt him? Because I am telling you right now, I will not be the only one picking him up to take care of him. Got it?!"

"Oro! Yes, ma'am!" Kenshin stretched his arms out to take his son. His grin nearly split his face when the baby gurgled contently.

"Aww, he likes you anata."

"Yeah, he seems to, doesn't he?" Kenshin whispered. At hearing his father's voice so close, the baby finally opened its eyes to reveal sparkling irises the same shade as its mother's.

"Kaoru, look! He has your eyes!"

"Baka. All babies have blue eyes at first."

Kenshin smiled at her.

"Well then, I hope he'll continue to have your beautiful eyes." Kaoru blushed and ducked her head.

"Mou Kenshin." Kenshin chuckled, then cleared his throat nervously.

"Ah, Kaoru. You weren't really serious about me sleeping in Yahiko's room were you?"

Kaoru smiled sweetly. "We'll see Kenshin. We'll see."

Kenshin groaned.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I'm so evil to Kenshin. :)

This is my first time writing a kissing scene, but my cousin assured it me it was acceptable. (So blame her if you don't like it. :)

I updated my web site! Please go check it out! Just click on the link on my bio page.
Just wanted to let you know I'm going to be taking a short break from my story, but I WILL continue. Okay?

RECOMMENDED FANFIC: "Angels Don't Cry" by Prudence-chan Short, sweet, a little sad at first. And did I mention that it was short? :P

MY REVIEWERS

mediaminer

Little Tennyo: Hey! I finally got to read your review! :) Thanks for pointing that out to me, unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it. It's mediaminer's fault. I tried resubmitting the chapters that were screwed up so hopefully that might help. :) Thanks for reviewing.

fanfiction

unkown beedee: Thanks. :)

sanomegumifreak: I'm glad you think I'm doing a good job. I am trying to keep them at least slightly in character. :) I have one more scene for Y/T fluff, I hope I can think of more as I go. It will be awhile before I get to REAL S/M fluff, but hopefully it will be worth it. :)

EvilPinkFuzzleofDoom not logged in: Well, I don't think its that good, but I'm glad you do. :) Aww, you're going to recommend it? That's so sweet. :) And I think you did spell it right. :)

StoryWeaver1: I like to give credit where credit is due. I'm glad you're not upset about it. :) Yeah, I wish Kaoru was there too. She'd have a field day. (Of course she and Meg would probably break out into a cat fight. :)

chibi-yumi: I'm so honored that you chose my story for your first Sano/Meg reading. :) They really are a cool couple. :) I hope I did alright with A/M here. :)

cool: You have such a nice easy pen name. :) Me too. :) Okay I will.

sabella/pan: Congratulations on your win! :) Yeah, but unfortunately I don't think Megumi would change her attitude toward Kaoru even after this eye-opener. She likes to tease Kaoru too much. :) Thank you for the compliment. I keep trying to improve. :) I'm sorry but I don't think I'll be entering the contest. I can't think of anything winter-based. :( (And I've thought of about five stories since I first heard about the competition.

mushi-azn: Yet again I took a long time updating. Sorry! I mentioned Sayo because I needed someone to make Meg jealous. :) Glad you liked the chap. :)

Zerianyu: Oh! Cool you checked out my site. :) I added a Ranma ½ section in case you're into that. :) No stories yet though. :( I like some alternate pairings. Ken/Misao, Sou/Misao, and Sano/Kaoru are my fave. But I can't stand some others like Aoshi/Meg and Enishi/Kaoru. I read a Saito/Tokio pairing once! I liked it too. :) Unfortunately I can't remember the name right now. :(

WorthlessShadow: And what GOOD cookies they were too. :) Yeah, I like twisting things a little. My brother gets so mad at me when I do that. :)

Galadriel Hermione Potter: Well, I don't know. Is this as long as last time? (Scratches head). Hmm. Well, I'm sorry if it is. :)

Thank you all for your reviews. :)
My shout-out list( author alerts and favorites ): Box Turtle, chmsweety, Shade16, Zerianyu, Setzu, MysticalElfGoddess, Kaoru4, Scented Candles, Stardust Angel2, MoodSightEyes, Story Weaver1, sabella/pan, Miko Kagome Archer, Horosha no Kage, Kitsune-Tenshi-16, are-en1, Julie7, Phoenix Rises, Vision2, ixchen, K1dgey, sataness-ov-desire, whitesparkles99, Minni May Yukibara, gaby (hyat, SailorNeo, CEEGEE, Midnight Unicorn, TanukiGirl22, Lyphta, Miko no Kokoro, tvsweetie, Night Imp, Selena Maxwell, ElvenYoukai, Michelena Steel, glasclach, wELcoMe2mYLiFe, Prince Aoshi, CelestialFire490, koorime-princess12, XxSilentxDreamerxX, The Monster in your Dreams, Wren Yang, horse-crazy-gurl, unknown beedee, swimchick1614, sold my soul for cheese-cake, jmj102, violetjewelz, RedAndBlackDragon, rd4everanime, Reignashii, Prometheus Unbound, LeyaBabe, CrypticMaidenRK, WorthlessShadow, roxygrlygoddess, Sapphirefoxgirl, reBeCCa no SeKaI, AngelBabie4u, Kodora Fairy, pyramidgirl89, aznangel91, Lady Katherine2, Bushido2, Time Mistress, kakashi-fan