Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Someone to Watch Over Me; Chap:7

Yippee! Only one more chapter and I can take a break from this story. :)

I want to apologize to sabella/pan. I forgot to thank her for her review last chapter. I'm really sorry! :(

Many thanks to my beta-readers Brittanie Love and I'm Trouble. :)
--------------------------------

Sano scowled darkly at the ground. That was not the way he meant for things to go. What Megumi had said really hurt. Did she really think he was trying to tell her what to do? He didn't want to be the type of man who expected his woman to follow his every word like an obedient dog.

But why did she have to be so stubborn? And why did she put up such a fuss over the shirt? She didn't object when it was just the two of them.

Did she want this Toki character to see her? Sano shook his head sternly. Megumi wasn't that kind of woman. Sano sighed and kicked a pebble away. How could he ever convince Megumi that a relationship between them was possible when all of their interactions were based on arguments and jealousy? His musings were cut short when he felt a tug on his pants. Sano looked down to see a pair of dark brown eyes staring curiously up at him.

"Aren't you cold mister?" The boy's voice held a slight awe in it. He had never seen someone so tall before.

"Huh?" Sano looked down at his bare torso; only now taking note of the slight nip in the air. "I forgot I wasn't wearing a shirt." 'I was too busy brooding.'

"Ah, I see you met Souji-chan."

Sano looked back to see Toki coming out. "How is she?"

"Good, the wound only required a few stitches. I convinced her to stay here for the night, I'm worried she might tear the stitches out if she tries to walk."

Sano nodded his head. "That's good, she works too hard and her body often pays the price for it." Too many times he had seen her suffering from exhaustion.

Toki smiled sadly. "That is an unfortunate side-effect of being a good doctor." Toki gestured toward the door. "Would you like to say good night to her?"

Sano shoved his hands in his pockets and shook his head. Truthfully he would have liked to, but he doubted the Kitsune wanted to speak to him tonight, if ever. Toki shrugged his shoulders and tossed Sano his shirt.

"If it makes you feel any better, she wore the shirt."

Sano paused for a moment then gave a brusque laugh. "No it doesn't make me feel any better."

Toki shrugged again; he couldn't think of anything to say in response to that. "Its getting late, why don't I show you where you'll be staying?"

Sano shoved his hands back into his pockets. "Might as well."

..............................................

"Gr andma! Graaandmaaa!!"

Sano winced as Souji's voice reached decibels he didn't even know existed. 'I bet he could give Jou-chan and Yahiko a run for their money.'

A young, angry-looking woman came out and popped Souji on the mouth. "Souji! How many times have I told you not to yell in the house?!" Souji looked guiltily down at the floor.

"Sorry."

An older woman who was drying her hands on a towel came out next. "What is all the commotion about?"

Toki gestured toward the woman. "Yamada-san, this is one of the men who is going to help us."

"Hmmm." She peered up at Sano. "You don't look like any doctor I've seen before." Toki laughed.

"No, the doctor's at the clinic. She ran into some trouble along the way. Sagara-san here is going to help us with reconstruction."

"Good, very good. You should put those muscles to work."

"Grandmother!" The young woman hissed.

Yamada waved her hand in a negligent manner. "Oh Yuka-chan, he's not offended. I'm sure you took that as a compliment, don't you, what was it, Sagara-san?"

Sano grinned. "Most definitely. My full name is Sagara Sanosuke, but everybody calls me Sano."

Yamada tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Sagara, that name sounds so familiar. You wouldn't perhaps be related to Sagara Souzou would you?"

"He was my taichou in the Sekihoutai, he allowed me to take his name."

"Oh, so you were a member of the Sekihoutai? But I thought they were all killed."

Sano felt the familiar mixture of admiration, love, pain, and guilt that he felt whenever he thought of Souzou wash over him. "They were, but my taichou made sure that another young member and I were safe before he died."

"How fortunate for both of you."

"Yes, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him."

Yamada smiled kindly. "Would you like something to eat? We have leftover miso and rice." Just as she finished speaking, Sano's stomach growled loudly. Sano scratched his head and chuckled in an embarrassed manner.

Yamada laughed. "It sounds as if you have no say in the matter. Come with me and we'll get you something."

Sano followed Yamada and Yuka to a modest kitchen where Souji sat next to him.

"So Sano-san," Yamada engaged in conversation while Yuka gathered the food, "the doctor is a woman?"

"Yes, she's one of the best I've ever met."

"I'm glad to hear this, if only more women followed her example. Maybe then we would get the respect we deserve." Yamada laughed.

"If Yuka had her way women would be running Japan and men would be the ones staying at home taking care of our families." Yuka looked slightly hurt at Yamada's uncaring tone. Sano rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

"Well I'm not too sure if I'm comfortable with the thought of a woman in the Emperor's seat, but I think it's fair to say women have a hand in running Japan." Yuka snorted.

"There's a saying in the West: 'Behind every great man is a woman.' And its true. Women influence both the men who run this country now and tomorrow's generations. That's a pretty heavy responsibility. Without women we wouldn't be anywhere."

"Oh that was so well spoken! Are you a politician?" An excited voice squeeled behind him.

Sano turned to see a girl a little younger than Kaoru standing with the aid of a crutch.

"Child, you know better than to interrupt someone in the middle of a conversation." Yamada gently scolded.

The girl bowed awkwardly and apologized. "Please forgive my rude manners."

Sano waved her apologies away. "Don't worry about it. To answer your question: No, I'm not a politician. Just a simple traveler who has returned to his homeland."

"You traveled? That's so exciting! I wish I could travel." She sighed dramatically.

Yuka slammed the tray of food down in front of Sano, effectively drawing his attention back to her. "What you said about women may be true Sagara-san, but when it comes to raw power a woman is nothing."

"Oh Yuka," the girl was now sitting next to Sano and clinging girlishly to his arm, "no one wants to hear about your silly ideas. Why don't we listen to um..." She blushed furiously as she realized she didn't know his name. "I'm sorry, I forgot to ask your name."

Sano smiled amusedly. "It's Sagara Sanosuke."

"Why don't you tell us of your travels Sagara-san. That would be so much more interesting don't you think, Grandma?"

"I think you should all let Sagara-san eat in peace. Etsuko-sensei, I don't mean to appear rude but it's getting late and you should probably return to the clinic to check on your patient. Sayo-chan stop clinging onto Sagara-san's arm, it isn't proper for a young lady to do that. Take Souji-chan and get him ready for bed. Yuka-chan go get the futons ready. Don't forget that Sayo-chan will be sleeping with you now that our guests are here." Though her tone brooked no argument, there was a gentleness in her voice that caused the others not to begrudge doing her bidding.

"Please forgive us Sagara-san. We don't get many visitors. I fear it will be even worse for you tomorrow." Sano chuckled.

"Don't worry about it, I'm used to people who are --," the word weird came to mind, "interesting," he finished.

Yamada laughed. "Ah, you are too kind to us."

Sano grinned then stood up and stretched. "If you don't mind, I think I'll turn in now."

Yamada rose and beckoned for him to follow her. "I'll show you where you'll be sleeping during your stay here." She led him down to the last door in the hall.

"You'll be sharing a room with Souji-chan. Don't let him talk your ear off now, if he starts to bother you just tell him to go to sleep."

Sano opened the shoji and stepped inside the room. Before he closed the shoji he gave Yamada a grin and a mock salute. "Thank you for your hospitality Yamada-san. I appreciate it."

"Yes well, you'll be paying us back in the days to come."

After she left, Sano shut the shoji and walked over to the already made futon. Kicking off his clothes, he fell into bed with a groan. His muscles ached from carrying Megumi all day. Not that he was complaining. It was worth it to make sure she didn't hurt herself worse than she already had.

But was it wrong to want her to show some gratitude? Sano scowled. He didn't want to go there. It was too close to his earlier argument with himself and he really needed to get some sleep. Sano cracked one eye open when he felt light breathing on his cheek. Souji beamed down at him.

"Oh good, you're awake!" He chirped and sat down next to Sano. "Is it true that you traveled outside of Japan?"

Sano sighed, trying to think of a way to get Souji back in his futon and be quiet without squelching his enthusiasm. "Look -- Souji isn't it?" The boy nodded. "Well Souji, I know I'm an interesting person especially since I'm a stranger to you. However, it's late and we both need to get some rest. Sano's heart pricked when Souji's face fell.

"But if you're very quiet and stay in your futon all night, then tomorrow I'll tell you about the time I fought a tiger." Souji's eyes rounded.

"Really?"

Sano nodded. "Yes, but only if you're good."

Souji jumped up and dove into bed. He stared at Sano, his whole body quivering in excitement.

Sano chuckled. "Try to get some sleep."

Souji obediently closed his eyes and willed himself to sleep.
.......................................

Sano's day started off with a bang, literally. The banging of the Souji was the only warning he had before Souji jumped onto his stomach. "Sagara-san, wake up!"

Sano groaned. "Was that really necessary?" Souji ignored his question.

"You have to wake up so you can tell me about the tiger."

"I have to work today Souji. I'll tell you the story tonight, okay?"

Souji's face fell and he slid off of Sano so he was looking away from him. "I knew it." He whispered.

"Hey." Sano caught Souji's chin and gently turned him to look at him. "Sagara Sanosuke doesn't go back on his word. I promise I'll tell you tonight. I swear on my taichou's memory." This seemed to satisfy Souji and he grinned.

"So where can I wash up before breakfast?"

"There's a pond nearby. I'll show you."

As they passed by the kitchen, the smell of food found its way to Sano's nose, causing him to salivate. "Mm. Something smells good."

"My grandmother is frying fish, she makes the best!"

Sano grinned. "My taste buds can't wait to try it out."
...........................................................
< br> They returned to find everybody, including Megumi, sitting at the table.

"Ohayo," Megumi greeted. Sano coldly ignored her.

Megumi frowned. Yes, she had said some pretty harsh things yesterday but usually after an argument they both acted as if nothing had happened. So why was he giving her the cold shoulder now?

Megumi narrowed her eyes when she saw Sano sit next to that girl -- what was her name? Sayo? Jealousy stiffened her spine when she saw Sayo move to sit closer than polite society allowed. But then, she had no reason to be jealous. The girl couldn't be any older than Kaoru.

Megumi's eyes widened slightly. Was this what it had felt like for the Tanuki when she was draping herself all over Ken-san? At least Kaoru had had the luxury of allowing herself to display her jealousy. Still, Megumi couldn't help but feel a slight twinge of remorse over her past actions.

"Sagara-san..." Yamada began causing Megumi to raise her eyebrows. Sano scratched the back of his head in embarrassment.

"Ano. It would make me feel more comfortable if everybody just called me Sano. I'm not used to being referred to so formally."

"But you're helping us out. You deserve our respect." Sayo protested.

"Really, I would prefer it if you just called me Sano."

"Sayo, for once just give it a rest and do what you're told." Yuka snapped. Sayo flushed with anger and was about to snap back when Yamada stopped her.

"It really would be more polite to do as he asks Sayo-chan."

Sayo huffed. "Fine."

Megumi smirked. She was just like the Tanuki. Childish and ill-tempered. Although, to be fair, Kaoru really had matured in the past two years.

"As I was saying," Yamada began, "I would like to properly introduce everybody now. I apologize for not doing so last night; things were a little hectic." She gestured towards Sano. "As you all know, this is Sagara Sanosuke. He's here to help rebuild our houses." She then gestured toward Megumi.

"This is Takani Megumi, she is a doctor." Yuka smiled and Sayo elbowed her before she was able to launch into her speech again.

"This is Yuka, my eldest granddaughter. And this is Souji-chan, her son. Unfortunately, his father died of cholera before he was born. Sayo here is Yuka's younger sister." Sano smiled at Sayo.

"I used to know someone by the name of Sayo. She was...very special to me."

"Was she pretty?"

"Yes. And very gentle. She was one of the kindest people I've ever known."

Megumi's hands curled into fists. Kaoru had told her about Sayo, but she was hoping Sano had only thought of her as a friend. But from the look on his face and the tone in his voice when he spoke of her, it was obvious she had meant much more to him. Was that the kind of woman he wanted? Megumi knew she was beautiful, but kind and gentle? Those weren't words people usually used to describe her.

"What happened to her?"

Sano's eyes clouded over. "She died of tuberculosis a few years ago."

"Oh, I'm so sorry."

"Thank you." Sano said absently as his eyes flicked over to see Megumi struggling between jealousy and sympathy. And maybe even a little bit of insecurity. Well good. She was so frickin' perfect it was about time she start feeling what he went through every time he was around her.

Sano cleared his throat and grinned at Souji. "Now if you don't mind, I'd like to try out this fish I've heard praised so highly."
-------------------------------------------------------------- -----------

Woo! I finally finished this chapter. Sorry it took me so long. I love writing, but I'm usually not motivated enough to write. (Reviews, however, provide excellent motivation. winkwink nudgenudge =)

I have never seen any of the episodes beyond Kenshin's second fight with Soujiro (except the so-called "lost" episode), so if I have any of the details surrounding Sayo wrong please forgive me. And feel free to correct me to. =)

Reccomended Story: "A Smile" by fireblazie Sano tries to convince Meg to smile. Sweet one-shot. =)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>>>>>>>>>>> MY REVIEWERS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ;<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
< br> (mediaminer)

little tennyo -- AH! I finally got a review and then mediaminer won't let me read it! >.< Thank you for reviewing any way. If it was a good review, I thank you. If it was a bad review, then oh well. I just hope you find another story you like. =)

kasumi the vampire queen -- Thanks. =)

(fanfiction)

Zerianyu -- Thank you for reading this. =) I didn't know you were a S/M fan. I'm glad you liked the last chapter. Yeah, Y/T are pretty cute. I updated today actually. =) Thank you for the nice review.

tennyo13 -- Sigh. Yes, those two never stop fighting. As you can see, they didn't make up in this chapter. Perhaps in the next one. Here's the next chapter right now. =)

WorthlessShadow -- Oh, you have such a sad pen name. :( It is kinda cool though. =) No, I didn't lose my inspiration, just my motivation. I'm glad you like it. Yes, that made sense! lol. That's actually what I've been trying to do, so you made my day. =)

I'm Trouble -- See! I used your other name! Happy now?! (If you're not, then I'm gonna... J/k =) blushes Ah, thank you. Thats all right, I lack a vocabulary too. =)

SanoIsVeryHot -- Hey, its you again! (I recognized your e-mail address.) So glad to hear from you. drools Yes, he IS hot isn't he? =) I'm sorry I made you wait so long. I hope this chapter was worth it. I remember saying peace out when I was a little younger. I wonder if we're about the same age? Or is that expression just coming around again?

LivingImpaired -- Thank you. I'm glad you did. =)

Story Weaver1 -- I'm glad you did! =) Yes, I have read that story. I didn't even think to ask your permission since it wasn't exactly the same. I'm really sorry about that. I went back and gave you credit, but if you want me to change the scene then I will. Yeah, I grew up around alot of arguing so I know how they go. =) Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, he is pretty funny. I can easily see Sano as being the jealous type. Thank you so much for reviewing regularly, it means alot to me. =)

mushi-azn -- Thank you! Yeah he is, isn't he? =) No, no backstabbing from Toki-kun, he's a good little Mary-sue. (Just kidding about that last part. shudders If he DOES start displaying any Mary-sue symptoms please let me know and I'll try to fix it right away!) I'm glad you liked the other couples. =) Next chapter, we get see Kaoru's baby born. Yippee! AND A/M finally make an appearance. =)

I would like to give a big thank you to the following people:Reignashii, K1dgey, Tanukigirl22, CEEGEE, gaby (hyat, Selena Maxwell, koorime-princess12, sataness-ov-desire, Story Weaver1, Zerianyu, glasclach, sabella/pan, The Monster in your Dreams, I'm Trouble, are-en1, Michelena Steele, th-dd-dmd-mnky, chmsweety, XxSilentxDreamerxX, Kitsune-Tenshi-16, Little Spider, jmj102, Box Turtle, Midnight Unicorn, reBeCCa a.k.a. dacrayZblaze1, roxygrlygoddess, horse-crazy-gurl, Hanyou Queen, Julie7, LeyaBabe, unknown beedee, HitokiriSky, whitesparkles99, WorthlessShadow, tvsweetie, YukiAngel28,SailorNeo, Wren Yang, Minni May Yukibara, Kodora Fairy, Lady Katherine2, Shade16, AND Bushido2