Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Someone to Watch Over Me; Chap: 12

This chapter was SO hard to write. -.-

I would like to thank Night Imp and Pinay Tiger for being so kind as to beta-read all of my stories. (:

-

Kenshin looked up when Megumi rushed past him into the house.

"What's the matter with Takani-sensei?" the little girl he was playing with asked.

"I don't know." He turned and smiled at her. "I'll see if I can make her feel better, okay?"

"I'll go with you!"

"That's kind of you, but I think this is an adult matter." The little girl pouted so, Kenshin couldn't help but agree that he'd let her know if he needed her.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Kenshin gently rapped his knuckles on the shoji. "Megumi-dono, may I come in?"

"Go away!" Kenshin heard the distinct thud of a hard object being thrown against the shoji. "I never want to speak to another man as long as I live. I never even want to see one again!"

'Oh dear,' Kenshin thought wearily. 'Sano what did you do this time?'

"Megumi-dono, I'm just concerned about your behavior. You seem . . . upset lately."

"If you want to talk to someone talk to that oaf outside and tell him to stop playing with people's emotions." Out of the corner of his eye, Kenshin noticed Yuka blatantly listening in to their conversation.

"Megumi-dono, perhaps it would be better if you let me in." Megumi huffed and yanked the shoji open.

"I told you to go away." She leveled a glare at the petite man. Kenshin smiled placidly.

"I know it's hard, but it often helps to talk about what's bothering you."

"I don't want to talk!" Kenshin stepped into the room while Megumi was too busy ranting to notice and closed the shoji.

"Did Sano do something?" Megumi glared at Kenshin and threw her hands up in the air when she realized he was standing in the room.

"Have you even heard a word I've said?"

Kenshin ignored her question. "Has Sano been trying to . . . renew his affections toward you?"

Megumi's face turned red. "How did you - what makes you say that? And what do you mean by 'renew'?" she snapped. "I assure you, there was never any affection displayed by either of us!"

"Really?" Kenshin had a puzzled expression on his face. "You two fought so loudly in public I thought for sure you were trying to cover up something more private."

"What? Why would you think that? Why would you even bother to think of us in that way? Obviously you had too much time on your hands!"

Kenshin looked at her sincerely. "I didn't mean to offend you." Megumi nodded in response to his apology and started pacing in agitation. Finally, she turned toward Kenshin.

"Ken-san when you told Kaoru-san how you felt about her, what did you say? How did you act?"

Kenshin blushed and scratched the back of his head sheepishly. "Actually, she was the one who confessed her feelings first." Megumi gave him a dry look.

"Did you initiate any of your relationship with her?"

Kenshin looked idignant. "I was the one to proprose! Besides, there's nothing wrong with her taking the first step."

Megumi indulged in a fleeting smirk before pacing again. "So what did you do when you proposed to Kaoru-san? I mean, to show her that you were sincere."

Kenshin raised an eyebrow. "Is there any particular reason you are asking me so many personal questions? You usually keep to yourself about such things."

Megumi made a noise that sounded suspiciously like a growl and clenched his collar in her fists. "Just answer my question!"

"Oro! Yes ma'am!" Kenshin scratched his chin. "Well I asked her if she would like to go on a picnic, just the two of us." Kenshin decided not to mention that the secluded picnic was more for his dignity in case Kaoru turned him down than a romantic gesture.

"So was this picnic just a seized moment of opportunity?" Kenshin shook his head.

"No, I planned everything about it weeks ahead of time."

Megumi wrapped her arms around her body. "I don't know. Maybe it really didn't mean anything."

"Megumi-dono, not every meaningful moment between a couple has to be planned."

"I told you, we aren't a couple!" Megumi clapped a hand over her mouth when she realized her mistake.

Kenshin blinked, "so this is aobut you and Sano. Megumi-dono, whatever Sano did to hurt you, I'm sure it wasn't intentional. He may be rough around the edges, but he isn't a malicious person."

"I know that!" Megumi slumped down to the floor and set her chin on her knees. "I don't think talking with you helped at all. I'm more confused now."

Kenshin squatted in front of her. "It might be helpful if you talked to Sano."

"I've already tried, he isn't interested in talking."

"Maybe that's changed," Kenshin touched her hand. "You seem pretty upset about what happened. Sano probably is too." As if on cue, the shoji snapped open to reveal a glowering Sano.

"Speak of the devil," Megumi whispered under her breath. Sano walked over to stand in front of Megumi with his arms crossed.

"I want to know what that scene back at the creek was about." Megumi pointedly ignored him, opting to stare at Kenshin instead. Sano stepped in front of him. "Kenshin has nothing to do with this conversation. It's between you and me." Kenshin stood up to leave.

"Don't be too harsh Sano." Megumi watched in dismay as her shield against Sano's anger walked out the shoji. Megumi nervously jerked her eyes up to meet Sano's stony expression. Sano leaned down until his arms trapped her head on either side and his face was right in front of hers.

"Talk."

Megumi bravely lifted her chin up as her eyes brightened in anger. "You should know by now that intimidating me won't convince me to cooperate any faster." Sano's lips pressed into a thin line as his eyes bored into hers. Finally he sat back.

"Fair enough." He crossed his arms over his chest. "But don't think that'll get you out of talking. What did you mean by agian? I don't remember doing anything to you the first time."

Megumi raised a haughty eyebrow. "Don't you?"

Sano's eye twitched. "I just said I didn't!"

Megumi unconciously fidgeted, darting her eyes to look everywhere but at Sano. Sano was trying to be patient, but it was obvious he was ready to explode again.

"Well?"

Megumi finally snapped. "Fine! You want to know why I slapped you? Why I've been so defensive around you? It's because you left!"

"Well I couldn't very well stay with the cops after my head!"

"You could have said something to me!" Megumi stood so she could turn away from Sano. "I didn't presume to think you had any romantic feelings toward me, but I thought we had developed a friendship, however odd it may have been. But when Kaoru was surprised to find out I didn't know you had left, she told me you had already said goodbye to her and Kenshin." She shrugged. "That's when I realized I was only your doctor." Sano's gaze softened and he stood behind her.

"Oh Meg."

Megumi harshly reached out of his reach when he touched her shoulder.

"I didn't tell you my story to gain your sympathy!" she snapped. "You wanted to know what was bothering me, and now you know. I apologize for assuming things about our relationship." Her voice started to waver slightly. "It was very unprofessional of me. It won't happen again."

"You're doing it now!" Sano turned Megumi around and held her shoulders so she was forced to look at him. "I never said I didn't like you!"

Megumi struggled to keep her tears at bay. "Well you certainly don't act like it!"

Sano opened his mouth to retort then closed it, looking as if he was choosing his next words. "You're right," he nodded his head. I should have said goodbye to you. And I was going to." Megumi blinked in surprise.

"So what happened?" Sano smiled sadly.

"Actually I originally planned to ask you to go with me. But when I arrived at the clinic, I saw you talking to same fancy pants man who was making eyes at you. I realized guys like him could give you more than I could ever dream of if I stayed the way I was, especially if I was on the run. That bothered me more than I care to admit even now. So I thought it would be best if I left on my own and became a better man like you deserved, then I would come back someday." Megumi crossed her arms.

"And what if I was married by the time you came back or the police decided you were still worth the trouble of hunitng down?" Sano brushed a stray hair behind her ear.

"I thought it was worth taking a chance."

"Sano, that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. The next time you lie, try to come up with something more original."

"I'm not lying!" Megumi broke out of his hold and moved to leave. "Why can't you ever trust me Megumi?"

Megumi sighed, her shoulders heaving in the process. "It doesn't really matter now whether or not you're telling the truth. It's too late Sano."

"It doesn't have to be." Sano's voice softened as he spoke. "We're both still unattached. And we're talking about the problem, you know how bad I am at that." He maneuvered around Megumi so that he was standing in front of her again. "We can make this work."

Megumi shook her head mutely.

Sano clutched his hair in frustration. "Why? What is it you're so afraid of?"

Megumi shook her head again.

Sano's eyes lightened as he finally understood. "That's what this is all about, isn't it? It's not about your lack of trust in me or missed opportunities, but about your fear."

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Just let me go."

"I know you've had a hard life."

Megumi looked at him fiercely and jabbed a finger in his face. "You don't know anything about me."

Sano smiled and wrapped a hand around her upraised one.

"I know that even though you have people who care about you, you're still too scared to get close because you're worried you'll lose them - just like you have lost everybody else important to you. I know you were forced to do things you didn't want to do survive. And I know that the past few years have been the best years of your life since you were a child. I know this because I'm the same way."

Sano leaned forward to lean his forehead against Megumi's. "I also know that there are several things I don't know about you. But I would like the chance to learn." Megumi swore.

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

Sano lifted his head back to see her lower lip trembling. "Don't tell me you have an aversion to me being nice to you, kitsune," he joked in an attempt to cheer her up.

It didn't work.

"Can't you ever be serious, tori-atama?" Megumi snapped.

Sano sighed. "When I was serious, I made you cry. When I joke, it makes you upset." He brushed his knuckles along her cheek. "What can I do to make you happy?" Megumi finally lost it and crumpled against Sano.

"Y-you shouldn't be concerned about making me happy," she sobbed. "You should be mad at me. Why aren't you mad at me?"

Sano frowned in bewilderment, barely understanding a word she said. "Why should I be mad at you?"

"Because I killed people. I killed your friend! You blamed me for his death."

"Yes I did, but I also blamed Kenshin for my taichou's death until I realized he wasn't like those political leaders who think people are dispensible." He squeezed her shoulders. "You know me kitsune, I oversimplify things when I get angry."

Megumi searched his face, hoping this meant he had forgiven her. "But you were mad at me for making the opium."

Sano sighed. "Yes, I was. I didn't understand you're situation at the time. And I know it was a hard decision to put the hope of seeing your family again before your honor. You could have killed yourself. But I'm very glad you didn't." He cupped her face. "Besides you didn't force all of those people to take the opium. They made their own choice."

Megumi sniffled then hit him as hard as she could. "Ow! What was that for? Don't tell me I upset you again!"

"You jerk! All this time I've been torturing myself because I thought you hated me and now I find out you forgave me a long time ago!" Sano chuckled earning him a glare and another punch, but this time he was able to dodge it.

"Oh, kitsune. I don't think I'll ever get used to your mood swings." He stroked her hair. "But I love you anyway." Megumi continued scowling then blinked in astonishment when his words registered.

"What . . . did you say?"

Sano smiled and slowly bent down to whisper in her ear. "I love you."

"You aren't just saying that are you? To make me feel better?"

Sano chuckled. "Believe me, a man doesn't 'just say' I love you to a woman. Not even to make her feel better." Megumi smiled and leaned against Sano, half-hugging him in the process. She didn't say she loved him back, but Sano felt she did. And he figured she would let him know in her own time. At least he hoped she would.

"I'm glad."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Kenshin wandered aimlessly, trying to put some distance between him and Megumi and Sano lest he give into the temptation to eavesdrop. He blamed Karou for that particular bad habit, he had never done it before he met her.

He found Yuka sitting on the porch of the clinic-turned-qurantine and braced himself to approach to see how Souji was doing.

"Better actually. Etsuko-sensai says he has a good chance of living." Kenshin smiled.

"That's very good, is he able to have visitor's yet?" Yuka shook her head.

"Ah." Kenshin stood in awkward silence. "Well, I guess I should see if there's something I can do. . ." He turned to leave.

"Himura-san wait." Yuka stood up to face Kenshin."I know its rather sudden, and it's unusual for women to ask such a thing. But I think you would make a wonderful husband. And it's obvious you love children so you would make a good father."

That Kenshin was uncomfortable, clearly showed on his face. "Yuka-dono, I already have a wife and son." Yuka looked dissapointed for a minute, then uncertain.

"If . . . if you were unhappy with them, you could leave them."

To say Kenshin was shocked was an understatement. "I would never even think of leaving them. I love them very much."

Yuka looked properly embarrassed, but still continued to speak. "If you love them so much, why are you here with me, instead of home with them?"

Kenshin found he had no answer to that question.

-

Ooh. Too much, sap. But it had to be done, and it's over with now. (:

I will be taking four months to update instead of the usual two because I want to update another story. Most of you guys are pretty good about not hassling me to update very fast, but I would still like to ask you not to do this because such reviews really don't encourage me.

Recommended Fanfic: All My Life by Cherie Dee. This is an A/U S/M story. I haven't read too many of those (not good one's anyway, and this one is good). Anayway, Sano is portrayed as more of a player than we see in either the anime or the manga, but it's not really a stretch of the imagination. (:

I decided I was tired of waiting until December to post the reviews.

MY REVIEWERS

mediaminer

Serenitychan13 -
Yeah, I saw that episode. I don't believe in ghosts, but I do like that idea, so I might try to incororate it somehow into the next chap, or the one after that. ^^ I don't plan on showing A/M getting together in this story, but it will be hinted at in the last chapter. I remember readig some ofyour stories, but I can't find hte one I reviewed? Thanks for reviewing! (:

fanfiction

lucerito-del-alma -
Thanks for reviewing! (:

ana badami - Oh, so do I! There's just something about them that makes them so fun to watch (read, whatever). I plan to. Thanks for reviewing! (:

Shadow Koneko - Cool name. (: Thank you for the encouragement and for reviewing! (:

Story Weaver1 - Really? I'd be interested in hearing your reason for that opinion. Really, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm quite curious. (: Since he's always portrayed as pulling Kenshin's hair, I thought it would be cute if he pulled his mom's for a change. Thanks for reviewing! (:

Tenshi Lynn - I'm glad you're excited about this story, but I can only write so fast. Thanks for reviewing! (:

MizSiren - I'm glad you are. Thanks for reviewing! (:

swimchick1614 - So you read this story as well, eh? Cool! (: No, it was important for the story that it not be a happy kiss. Yep! I think she would, if the situation were real. Thanks for reviewing! (:

Nyako - Thank you for commenting on the scene, I'm glad you liked it. I always try to update as soon as I am able to. Thanks for reviewing! (:

M.Kasshoku - A very good question indeed! :P Really? I thought he was being rather gentle, for Sano anyway. But, yeah that would have urked her. (: That and thinking he was toying with her emotions. (Of course if I thought a guy was toying with my emotins, I probably wouldn't treat him very kindly either.) I hope I don't dissapoint you in future chapters. Thanks for reviewing! (Seriously, I'm really happy when I see you review. :)

Zelianyu - Ooh, I had that happen to me once ( story deleting itself off my list that is). It was annoying. Well, it is a romance, so a certain amount of sap is to be expected. (: Yeah, I'm wainting for you to update your story were K&K have an arranged marriage. It looked kind of cool. You're mad because of the name? /:) lol That's the first time I've heard that one. (: Thanks for reviewing! (: (I hope your situation gets better soon.)

DemonSlayer205 - Nope, I haven't given up on it yet. I must say, I'm surprised at the amount of males who read this story. I guess I'm going to have to rethink some of my views on them. (: I really would like for this story to end, but I'm also trying not to rush it because, as you said, that can ruin it. I try to update every two months. Thanks for reviewing! (:

Crewel - I'm not sure if I will rite a longer kissing scene, I was rather uncomfortable writing this one. But I'm glad you liked what I wrote and I will see what I can do to improve, okay? (: I'm sorry for confusing you, I realize I didn't make that very clear. Megumi was getting dressed ater taking a bath in the creek. Sano was coming back from taking one as well. Thank you for reviewing! (:


Thank you to: Anaii, BlueSoulKLH64, Box Turtle, Chigau, Deadmunki, eclectic mermaid, ellamr, Golden sky, Impashence, Indy Croft, Kitsune-Tenshi-16, Lady Katherine 2, lucerito-del-alma, Michiru Bautista, mushi-azn, Nyako, Princess Lady Subaru, SabellaPan, sakurai9826, SexyBod, Shahrezad1, ShiroiMizuRyuu, starmelody, and SweetMisery49, Tenshi Lynn, and Zelianyu for putting this story on their Favorite List.