Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ chapter 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Someone to Watch Over Me
Chap: 13

I'm sorry that this chapter starts out rather awkwardly. I guess after three months of not working on this story, I kind of got out of the groove of it.

I would like to thank everybody for being so patient in waiting for this chapter. (:

-
Sano sat out on the porch, one hand supporting his chin, the other repeatedly tapping the wood. Megumi had seemed to be the type of person who rose early - but apparently that wasn't the case.

The sun had risen well over an hour ago and she had yet to wake. Sano had half a mind to drag her out of bed, but Kenshin had convinced him that she needed the extra rest for the trip ahead of them. Sano turned around when he heard a noise behind him to find Megumi standing in the doorway.

"Well look who finally decided to get up."

"Shut up Sano!" Megumi snapped.

Sano watched with a smirk as Megumi walked over to the well and pulled up some water to wash her face. "You know, I had always pegged you for a morning person, but it seems I've been proven wrong." Megumi gave him a vicious slap on the head as she passed him on the way back to the house. "Hey, what was that for!" Sano jumped up to follow her.

"For being your usual rude self. But then it seems to come naturally to you, so I guess you can't help it." She punctuated her matter-of-fact statement by snapping the shoji shut in Sano's face.

Sano's glare was replaced with a wicked smirk when he heard the faint sound of clothes shifting. His fingers had just pressed against one of the shoji's wooden braces when Megumi's voice stopped him.

"Don't even think about it rooster."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Once again, everyone found themselves waiting for Megumi, this time over a drawn out goodbye with Toki. "You know, you can come visit us anytime."

Toki smiled, "The same goes for you. Although I don't think your boyfriend would appreciate either scenario." Both of them looked over to see Sano impatiently tapping his foot, looking off to the side of the road, and generally trying very hard no to storm over and break them apart.

"Mm. I'm sure you're right, but he doesn't get much of a say in the matter. He's just going to have to deal with it."

Toki smiled, "He's a good man. Your family would have approved of him."

"Do you really think so?" Megumi's gaze strayed over to Sano's direction again. "Sometimes, when I would think about them, I hoped they might but . . . " Megumi looked back at Toki and half-smiled. "Well, it is nice to at least have the blessing of an old friend." As she moved to hug Toki again, Megumi felt a tapping on her shoulder. She moved back to see Sano eyeing Toki in a none too friendly manner.
"We have to go," Sano announced gruffly, "or else it will be nightfall before we leave."

Megumi rolled her eyes as she allowed Sano to lead her away. "It's not even noon yet, baka." If Sano heard her reprimand, he gave no indication. "Well, since you're in such a hurry, you can carry my bag."

Sano barely caught the bag Megumi tossed at him before it crashed to the ground. "What are you talking about?" He grumbled.

Megumi tossed her hair over her shoulder to hide the smirk on her face. "I don't know how fast I can walk carrying that a big, heavy bag." Megumi sighed dramatically. "Besides I thought you said you loved me. Men are supposed to do these kind of things for the women they love."

Sano's scowl turned into a sly look as he dropped the bag back into Megumi's arms. "I've already got you," he placed his hands behind his head, "why should I have to impress you anymore?"

Megumi looked flustered for a second before sniffing primly. "I'm sure Ken-san still carry’s things for his wife. Isn't that right Ken-san?"

Kenshin chuckled nervously and scratched the back of his head. "Um, well . . . " Out of habit he cast his eyes about for some laundry to escape to, then searched for some other distraction when he remembered there was no laundry nearby. "We turn right here, correct?" He pointed to a bend in the road then quickly sped off before anyone could say a word.

Megumi glared at the spot he had vacated. "Coward."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"What do you think Kenshin? Does this look like a good place to stop?" Kenshin gave no indication that he had heard Sano's question and instead continued to stare at the road ahead with a far-off look in his eyes. "Kenshin?" Sano set a hand on his friend's shoulder in concern.

Kenshin turned and forced a smile. "Yes, Sano?"

Sano noticed Kenshin's hand was placed inside of his gi and Sano could only assume that he was stroking Kaoru's bloodied ribbon that he had kept all of these years. Sano smiled in understanding. "Nothing. If you don't mind, why don't we continue until we reach home?"

Kenshin looked hopeful, but remained mindful of the other travelers. "Are you sure? The others must be tired."

"Nah," Sano waved Kenshin's concern away as he walked off toward Megumi. "Don't worry about it, the others won't complain about arriving home earlier than we planned."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Megumi smiled as Sano approached her. "One of you guys are going to have to build a fire, unless you want to have a cold supper."

Sano scratched the back of his head, a look of chagrin on his face. "Actually, I think I'll settle for a cold supper."

Megumi crossed her arms and snorted. "I thought you had grown up, but it seems you're the same lazy oaf -"
"Would you quit accusing me of things that aren't my fault!" Sano's voice cut her off mid tirade. "Besides, this time it really isn't my fault."

Megumi wondered if he realized his statement implied that such things usually were his fault but decided she was too tired to argue the point with him. "Well then whose is it?" Megumi asked skeptically.

Sano sighed. "Think about it. Kenshin hasn't been able to see his wife or kid in over a month. He didn't say anything, but I could tell he really wants to go home."

Megumi looked over to where Kenshin was standing with a big smile on his face. She crossed her arms and sighed. "Well I guess I'm not that tired."

Sano shook his head solemnly. "No, I disagree."

Megumi narrowed her eyes in annoyance. "First you told me that we need to go home sooner for Kenshin, and I agreed. Now that I've agreed with you, you're deciding you don't want to go? Make up your mind!"

"Don't worry, we're still going but . . . " Megumi shrieked when Sano picked her up and situated her in such a manner that she was forced to wrap her arms and legs around him for support.

"What are you doing you stupid rooster?!"

"This way, we can all get home sooner, and you can rest. And this way we don't have to listen to your constant whining," his voice rose to a screeching falsetto, "'we need to stop, my feet hurt. I broke a nail, I think I'm going to cry. Boo hoo hoo.'"

Megumi shrieked again - only this time in more of a harping manner than in surprise - and gave his ear a vicious twist.

"I do not whine! Put me down this instant!"

"If you keep this up, I'll be glad to drop you!" Sano yelled. "But I would think you wouldn't want to bruise your soft bottom!"

There was a deadly pause where Sano had an inkling that wasn't the right thing to say if he wanted his ear to remain attached to his body before he felt fresh pain in his already smarting appendage. "And how would you know anything about my bottom, hm? Have you been feeling me up while I was asleep?"

Sano scowled. "Feh. Fine then if that's the way you want it!" He let go of Megumi and she fell down hard on the dirt. Everyone stared at them in genuine shock.

Megumi, too stunned to move yet, pointed a finger up at him. "I -I can't believe you actually dropped me!"

Sano looked unsure of himself for a second then reassumed his usual cocky expression and crossed his arms. "I can't believe you would accuse me of committing such rude and vulgar actions!"

Megumi - who by now had collected herself enough to stand - rubbed her temples wearily. "It's because you can be a rude and vulgar person!"

As the sound of Sano and Megumi's bickering filled the forest, the rest of their little group quietly munched on their cold supper. "Was she like this at the mansion?" Aoshi was quiet for so long, Yahiko thought perhaps the man hadn't heard his question and was about to ask again when he finally answered, "No it seems Sagara is able to bring out the worst in Takani-san."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Early dawn found four exhausted members of the Kenshin-gumi, and one Oni wa banshu, standing at the crossroad leading into the city. "Well, I guess this is where we part."

"Are you sure you don't want to stay at the dojo?" Kenshin asked. "I know both of you are very tired."

Sano shook his head. "Nah. I figure your house is jammed about as full as it can handle. But it might be a good idea if you stayed Megumi."

"No thank you," she politely declined. "As you said, I wouldn't want to crowd poor Ken-san's house any more than it already is."

"Then you better take advantage of our generosity and rest well Kenshin. We're going to come over tomorrow to see the kid."

"We?" Megumi asked to confirm she had heard correctly.

"Yes, 'we,'" Sano responded as they walked down the street, "as in 'you and me.'"

"I see." Megumi replied with less ire than usual. Tomorrow she would likely take him to task regarding any preconceived notions he had about making arbitrary decisions for both partners in a relationship. For now, she would just tease him to help pass the time on their walk home. "Since when did 'you and me' become 'we'?"

Kenshin shook his head as he listened to their banter. It was a good thing Sano and Megumi had declined his invitation, if only for the sake of his frayed nerves.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Misao was the only one awake at the dojo. After she had eaten one of Kaoru's ... disasters, she had determined to prepare all of the meals before Kaoru had a chance to destroy them.

Misao paused when she thought she heard a noise outside. When she heard the noise again, she went out to the porch and peeked around the corner. When Misao saw who it was she made an excited little squeaking sound before dashing out to greet the people walking up to the house.

"Aoshi-sama!" Misao ran forward to give him a hug when she suddenly stopped. She had firmly decided that she was no longer going to embarrass either of them with silly displays of affection and what did she do but run to hug him at first sight!
"I mean, I'm very glad to see you are back safely," she finished in a more subdued voice.

She fidgeted slightly as they stared at her. Once again, she had thoughtlessly embarrassed herself and the only man she ever loved. "And of course I'm glad to see Yahiko and Himura are back as well," she added.

A thought occurred to her, as she nervously ran her hands down her clothes. It was entirely possible the males in front of her were more shocked over her new attire than by the gregarious actions she was known to display. Sighing in relief, she assumed one of her silly, overconfident poses.
"I see you noticed my new outfit. Actually it's not exactly new. Kaoru gave me some of her old kimono when I told her I was thinking about trying them out. Okon and Omasu have been nagging me about how it's more proper for someone my age to wear kimono you know."

Yahiko wondered how she could talk for so long without turning blue, then decided he didn't really care and left to get some sleep.

"I don't know how much I would care for wearing them in the summer, but they seem to do a good job of keeping me warm in the winter. I like this one especially because -" Misao hesitated to continue. Like much of Kaoru's clothing, the kimono Misao wore had faded from its original color, in this case a rich jade.

But it was still a pretty shade of green. And green was Aoshi's favorite color. "Well, I just especially like this one," Misao finished lamely. Aoshi had made a life out of noticing his surroundings down to the tiniest detail. Misao had every confidence that he would make the connection between him and her kimono choice, and when he did it would be his decision to do something about it.

"It looks very nice on you, Misao-dono." Kenshin patted her on the shoulder. "Now if you don’t mind, I'm going to get some rest. I'll talk to you some more later."

Misao played with the end of her braid, unsure what to do now that she and Aoshi were alone together.

"Misao -"

"Aoshi-sama -"

They both spoke at the same time, causing Misao to giggle. "It appeared," Aoshi continued, "as if you were going to hug me when you first came out to meet us." He slowly held his arms out, and uncomfortable look on his face.

Misao smiled, elated that he was finally reciprocating her affection. "Yes, I was."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Kenshin was surprised to find his futon out and looking as if it had been slept in. Perhaps, Misao had been using it to sleep in? Whatever the reason was, he was glad because he had been wondering if he should just sleep on the floor so as not to disturb his family by dragging out the futon. It appeared that he wouldn't have to do that now.

Kenshin quietly placed his bag on the floor and crept over to kneel next to his wife and son. The two of them looked so peaceful sleeping in the early morning light that Kenshin couldn't help but smile lovingly at them. He reached a finger out to stroke Kenji's cheek and his son cried upon the contact.

Kaoru jerked awake immediately and - thinking Kenshin was an intruder - held him fast with one hand while she viciously attacked him with the other. "How dare you attack an innocent woman and child while they are sleeping!"

"OW! Koishii ... ah! It's just me! Oro!"

Kaoru stopped when she heard her husband's familiar cry. "Kenshin?" Kaoru gasped in horror at her husband's pathetic appearance. "Oh Kenshin!" She plastered kisses all over the bruises she gave him. "Anata I'm so sorry!"
Kenshin smiled ruefully. "You were just protecting Kenji and yourself. At least now I don't have to worry that you two won't be safe if you're attacked while I'm away."

Kaoru was too busy trying to calm Kenji down to notice the dark look that passed over Kenshin's face at his own words. "Shh, Kenji," Kaoru bounced him up and down. "Its okay baby. It's okay." Kenshin offered to hold him, but that only increased Kenji's cries until he was back in his mother's arms.

"But he seems to like your voice," Kaoru tried to console her husband, "so if you keep talking, I'm sure that would comfort him."

"I'm sorry."

"Oh Kenshin. It's not your fault. He just needs to get used to you again."

"But don't you see Kaoru -" Kenshin walked over to the window and tried to calm down when his outburst succeeded only in upsetting his wife and son. "Don't you see Kaoru?" He began in a calmer voice. "If I had stayed, Kenji would know me. And I would know him. I-I never should have left." He turned to look at them. "My place is with you and Kenji now."

Koaru bit her lip. The realistic side of her wanted to comfort him. She and Kenji had been fine in his absence, after all, and Kenshin's time had been put to good use helping the other people.

But the selfish side of her wanted to agree with him. He did have a responsibility to them now, and several times Kaoru had caught herself not only missing Kenshin but realizing how much easier it would be to raise Kenji if his father was present. "I won't deny that I missed you very much Kenshin. And both Kenji and I do need you. But long before you met me or had Kenji, you made a vow to help people in need; I don't want to interfere with that vow Kenshin."

Kenshin moved over so that he was sitting next to Kaoru again. "Kaoru when I was over at Akayama, somebody said something to me that made me think. Yes, I made a vow to help others, but Kaoru you need me now and that's what matters most. Helping my wife raise our son, guiding a new life to be the best that he can and . . . hopefully teaching him to make better choices than I did, that in no way violates my vow to help others." He leaned his forehead against Kaoru's shoulder. "From now on, I'm staying here," he whispered directly into her ear.

"Kenshin that sounds wonderful and I know in your heart, you mean every word of it," she situated her head so that she was looking him directly in the eyes. "But whose going to stop you the next time the police chief insists the fate of Japan is at risk unless you help them? Or if some poor person who is down on their luck comes along? I know you Kenshin. You’re a soft touch. You won't be able to say no."

A mischievous spark appeared in Kenshin's eyes as he nuzzled a spot behind Koaru's ear. "Hmm, well I guess you're just going to have to find some way to keep me here."

"Ah! Kenshin!" Kaoru almost shrieked in surprise when he nipped her earlobe. "Behave!" She swatted at him. "Do you want to get Kenji started again?"

Kenshin looked only slightly contrite when he pulled away. "No I guess not," he sighed.

"Come here. It's obvious you need sleep." Kaoru laid down and patted the futon beside her. "I missed you just holding me."

Kenshin obliged her and slipped under the covers without even bothering to change into his bedclothes. Sliding his arms around Kaoru and Kenji he kissed both of them and settled down for his first restful sleep in over a month.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Sano and Megumi had long ago abandoned their argument and were now strolling silently through town; the only interruptions to the quiet were a few polite greetings from other early-risers.

Sano took in a deep breath of the cool air and let it out with a drawn-out "ah." "It's been a while since I've been out this early."

Megumi smirked and clucked her tongue. "Only then you were probably too drunk to appreciate the beauty around you."

"Hn, at least I'm used to actually being awake at this time of the day."

"Would you please drop that subject." Sano wondered if Megumi realized her questions usually sounded more like demands then shrugged.

"There's the clinic," he announced. They both stood in front of the door for a few awkward moments, both unsure of what the other expected them to do next.

"What are you thinking about?" Sano was so deep in thought that he almost missed Megumi's question, and then when he finally realized what she had asked he had to think of a good answer. He grinned with sudden inspiration.

"I was wondering if you would slap me again if I tried to kiss you." Sano barely held back a snicker when she subconsciously backed up a step. As if she realized what she was doing, she suddenly stopped and tilted her chin up at a defiant angle. Sano smiled, now this was the kitsune he knew, the woman who was ready to take on anything.

"I don't know, I guess you'll just have to see and find out." Sano's eyebrows rose in delighted surprise at her challenge. He dipped his head forward to give her a soft kiss, then leaned back to gauge her reaction.

"Well?"

Megumi smiled slyly, "I'm still not sure yet. We have to test it a bit longer to find out." Sano laughed warmly and wrapped his arms around her waist to pull her in for another kiss. Megumi had just leaned into meet Sano's kiss when she thought she heard giggling. Deciding to ignore it, she tried to deepen the kiss when Sano pulled back and moved his lips next to her ear.

"Sorry," he apologized at her sigh of disappointment, "but we seem to have a little voyeur." Megumi whipped around to see Suzume peeking behind the shoji.

"Suzume!" Megumi swatted a hand at her, causing the girl to shut the shoji and run off.

Sano chuckled, "Ah Meg don't be too hard on her. She's just a kid."

Megumi crossed her arms, a scowl still on her face. "But she's old enough to know better!"

Sano kissed her down turned mouth and patted her on the shoulder. "Get some rest kitsune. You'll feel better afterward." Sano walked off the porch and headed toward his small apartment.

On the way he stopped in front of a small house. It had been on the market for as long as he could remember, despite the ridiculously low asking price. One rumor he had heard was that the house was cursed or something and all of its occupants were forever doomed to unhappiness and discord.

But that sounded suspiciously like old lady gossip and in Sano's opinion the more realistic reason was because it was the ugliest eyesore to ever exist.

Sano walked around it with a considering eye. It needed a lot of improvement to make it even livable but ... well he could be a hard worker (when he felt like it) and the kitsune was definitely a good task master.

A brief image of Megumi in one of those corset contraptions that he had seen during his travels to the west holding a whip in her hand flitted through his mind before he shook it out.

What had he been thinking about before he was distracted? He looked back at the house with unfocused eyes. Oh, right he was considering buying that travesty people dared to call a house.

Actually he had been considering buying for quite some time now. It was what he had really been thinking about when he and Megumi were standing in front of Genzai-sensai's clinic. That and how nice it would be to see the sunrise with Megumi more often. He thought of the little money he had stored away in his wallet.

Perhaps he would ask Kenshin's opinion tomorrow.

-

I'm sorry, it's shorter than I meant for it to be, later than I meant it to be, and definitely not as well written as I meant it to be. ): I'll try really hard to make the next chapter better! (I'm also hoping the next chapter will be the last one. :)