Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Bet ❯ Second Attack & Some Planning ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I DO NOT own Rurouni Kenshin. I never have and I never will.

Note: Sorry about the longer wait for this chapter. I came home from vacation and then I had to unpack everything and clean and then I had a party the next day and lots more things. Anyway, the only thing you all care about is that this chapter is written so I'm going to do that right now!

The Bet Redone

Chapter 9

Second Attack and Some Planning

Kaoru couldn't move. She wanted to turn and run, but the look of the knives in his hands scared her so much. She moved only a slight inch and the man chose that moment to attack. Kaoru duck out of the way of a knife that was headed toward her head. As she bent down she felt a thick stick touch her hand, she quickly grabbed. She stood up and managed to hit one of the knives away, however she missed one and the knife stabbed her in her left arm. Kaoru screamed out in pain. She fell to her knees as blood began to almost pour out of the wound in her arm. She placed her right hand right under the spot where the knife was still placed inside of her arm as she looked up at her attacker. The man smiled evilly as he pulled out three more knives to replace the ones that he had just thrown.

"It thrills me to see you like this. I enjoy seeing the daughter of the man who killed my best friend dying by my hand," the man said as he walked closer to Kaoru.

"What are you talking about?" Kaoru asked.

"Oh," the man stated, "you didn't know that you father was.... well I don't have to tell you. You're about to die anyway so what difference would it make."

The man now stood 20 feet from Kaoru. He pulled his arm back and let two of his knives fly as he yelled, "Now die!"

Kaoru shut her eyes and waited for the blast to come. However, she heard something in the bushes. She opened her eyes in time to see Kenshin jump out of the bushes, grab the stick that was lying beside her, and attack. He knocked away the knives without them even touching them with the stick (A/N: I don't know what the attack is called, but I've seen Kenshin use an attack that uses something like air pressure to attack. If anyone knows the name of the attack please tell me! Arigato). Kaoru's eyes widened.

'That's amazing!' Kaoru thought to herself.

"Kaoru are you all right?" Kenshin asked, but didn't move his eyes from Kaoru's attacker.

"Kind of," Kaoru answered, but that was almost a lie.

The man had watched what happened. He growled at Kenshin.

"And just who the hell are you?" the man shout.

"No one you need to be concerned with," Kenshin answered as his eyes began to turn cold.

"Oh really. Then you won't mind if I kill you as well!" the man yelled as he shot his two remaining knives at Kenshin.

Kenshin knocked them away like he did the other two and then quickly got in front of the man and attacked him with the stick in his hand. He hit the man across the chest. The man let out a gasp of air.

"Damn you," the man said as he fell to the ground unconscious.

Kenshin threw the stick to the side and turned back to Kaoru. Kaoru was now standing, but not very well. She was using the tree next to her to hold her up. It was then that Kenshin noticed her wound.

"Kaoru!" Kenshin stated as he ran over to her.

Kaoru smiled, but then collapsed. Kenshin got to her before she was half way to the ground. He grabbed her by the waist and was careful that he didn't touch her wound. He used his other arm to grab her under her knees. He carefully set her on the ground. He held her up with his left arm as her head rested on his shoulder. He inspected the wound. The knife had to be removed or it could cause an infection. As carefully as he could, he pulled the knife out of Kaoru's arm. She yelped in pain as the knife came out of her arm. Kenshin winced as he saw as deep the wound was. Kaoru, however, remained asleep. Kenshin ripped the sleeve of his shirt into a strip. He wrapped it around the wound in Kaoru's arm. The blood coming from the wound quickly drenched the cloth.

'I have to get her to a doctor,' Kenshin thought as he looked at the cloth, 'and soon.'

It was then that Kenshin remembered that Kaoru had said that her roommate, Megumi, was a doctor in training. She could probably help. Kenshin placed his right arm under Kaoru's knees again and stood up, carrying her bridal style. He check to make sure that Kaoru's attacker was out.

'He should be out for at least 2 hours by II can call the police and they can be here to get him,' with that thought Kenshin ran off through the woods. He reached his parked motorcycle in just under two minutes. It was then that he realized that there was a problem. Kaoru was unconscious so she could ride behind him and hold on.

'I'll just have to seat her in front of me,' Kenshin thought.

He climbed onto his bike and brought Kaoru with him. He used his left arm to hold her steady as he pulled out his cell phone and called the police. He told them the location and then hung up. He put his helmet on and then carefully placed his extra helmet on Kaoru's head. Once he was sure that her helmet was securely on her he started the bike. He drove off to Kaoru's house as fast as he could. He didn't go too fast though because having Kaoru in front of him made it a little harder to steer. He looked down at her face and noticed that she was beginning to look pale, under the light of the street lamps. Kenshin managed to get to Kaoru's house in 10 minutes. He pulled into Kaoru's yard and quickly turned off the motorcycle. He noticed lights on in the house.

'Thank god!' Kenshin thought to himself.

He threw his helmet off and gently took the helmet off Kaoru. He picked her up, bridal style again, and carried her to the front door. He knocked on the door quite hard. The door opened and Megumi stood there.

"Yes, what is it?" Megumi asked as she rubbed her eyes, "Oh hi Ken- san."

It was then that Megumi noticed Kaoru.

"Oh my god! What happened?" Megumi yelled as she ushered Kenshin inside.

She led Kenshin into the well-lit living room. Kenshin set Kaoru down on the floor as Megumi left the room to grab a pillow, a blanket, and medical supplies. She came back into the room and handed Kenshin the pillow and blanket as she tended to Kaoru's wound. Kenshin placed the pillow under Kaoru's head and then watched Megumi do her work.

"This is a serious wound," Megumi stated as she applied pressure to try and stopped the wound from bleeding.

Finally the wound slowed down its bleeding and Megumi poured a little bit of hydrogen peroxide on the wound. Kaoru's body tensed as the wound stung from the liquid that was poured on it. Megumi then wiped the extra blood and peroxide away with a cloth and proceeded to wrap the wound.

"Thankfully I don't think it needs stitches," Megumi stated and she finished wrapping the wound, "What happened?"

Megumi cleaned her stuff up and Kenshin placed the blanket over Kaoru's form. Then he looked to Megumi who was looking straight at him.

"To tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure," Kenshin started, "I'm sure Kaoru's told you about the men that are after her."

Megumi nodded.

"Well, I think someone tried to take her life again tonight. I took her up the mountain to watch the sunset. She left into the woods saying she had to go to the bathroom. She was taking a while and I was about to go check on her when I heard her scream. When I arrived she was on her knees. There was a man standing there and he had thrown two knives at her. I grabbed a stick and knocked the two knives away. I knocked the man unconscious and then turned to check on her. She was standing and then she collapsed. I caught her and I noticed the wound in her arm. I set her down and pulled the knife that was stuck in her arm. I picked her up and brought her back here," Kenshin said.

"And what about the guy?" Megumi asked.

"I called the police so he should be on his way to jail now," Kenshin said as he turned his eyes to Kaoru, "Is she going to be all right?"

Megumi looked at him. He looked really worried. Megumi smiled.

"She should be. The bleeding as stopped for the most part. All she needs to do is rest and take it easy for a while," Megumi answered, "You're welcomed to stay the night if you wish. It's only her, me, and Yahiko and I think Yahiko is already in bed."

Kenshin nodded.

"Thank you," Kenshin said.

"No problem. Let me get you an extra blanket and pillow," Megumi said as she stood up and left the room.

She came back and handed Kenshin the extra pillow and blanket and then said goodnight and left the room. Kenshin placed the pillow Megumi gave him about 4 feet away from Kaoru's head. However, he didn't lie down. He watched her for a while before he lifted his hand and brushed a few strands of stray hair from her face. The color was slowly coming back to her face. As he watched her in her unconscious sleep he couldn't help, but smile. He felt something in his chest flutter. Then he shook his head.

'What the heck was that just now?' he asked himself.

The feeling confused him so he just dismissed it as tiredness. He placed his pillow another foot away from Kaoru's before he laid down and fell into a deep sleep.

Kaoru drifted in and out of consciousness all night. Finally she woke up a little after the sun had rose. Her eyes fluttered opened as they adjusted to the brightness of the room. When her eyes finally adjusted she saw Megumi looking down at her arm. Kaoru tried to sit up, but Megumi stopped her.

"You mustn't sit up. Just rest," Megumi said as she gently pushed Kaoru to lay back down.

Kaoru did as she was told and watched as Megumi tended to her arm. It was then that all her memories from the previous night flooded back to her. Her eyes widened and she looked up at Megumi.

"Megumi, what happened? How'd I get home?" Kaoru asked.

Megumi smiled.

"Ken-san brought you here. He came here with you in his arms. You were wounded quite badly," Megumi answered, "As for the rest you'll have to ask him."

Megumi pointed over to the other side of Kaoru. Kaoru turned her head and was surprised to see a red-haired person laying somewhat next to her. Kaoru blushed slightly and then turned back to Megumi with a questioning look.

"I told him he could stay the night here," Megumi said as she finished rewrapping Kaoru's arm, "You should thank him. He saved your life."

With that said Megumi stood up, taking her supplies with her. She put the supplies away and walked back to Kaoru.

"I have to go to work. Yahiko's already at school. I should be home at about 4 o'clock pm," Megumi said, " and I called you're school and told them that you and Ken-san aren't coming to school today because you got sick so just rest and don't move around too much."

Megumi walked over to the door and put her shoes on.

"I'm leaving," Megumi yelled out as she walked out the door and closed it behind her, leaving a very confused Kaoru behind her.

Kaoru turned to face Kenshin and was surprised to find him sitting up. Kenshin turned to look at her.

"Ohayo," he said with a yawn.

"Ohayo," Kaoru answered quietly.

Kenshin pulled the blanket off of him and stood up. He then proceeded to fold the blanket. Once he was done he put the blanket down and placed the pillow he had been using on top of the blanket. Then he kneed down next to her.

"How are you feeling?" Kenshin asked.

Kaoru looked at him, still confused. She shook her head slightly.

"I'm feeling better," Kaoru said as a blush crept up into her checks, "Thank you for saving me yesterday."

"It's my job remember. It was part of the deal we made," Kenshin answered with no emotion.

"Oh, that's right. I forgot," Kaoru answered as the blush disappeared from her cheeks and a slight look of sadness covered her face.

"Are you hungry?" Kenshin asked, "I can make you something to eat."

Kaoru looked at him before she answered with a smile, "Yes, please. I would just like some toast please."

"Toast? That's it?" Kenshin asked.

Kaoru nodded and replied, "That's all I ever eat in the morning."

"Okay," Kenshin said and he stood up and headed into the kitchen. Three minutes later he came back with three pieces of toast, on a plate, in one hand and butter, jelly, and cream cheese in the other.

He bent down next to her.

"I wasn't sure what you liked on your toast so I brought three different things," Kenshin said.

"Thanks. I eat toast with jelly," Kaoru answered as she took the toast from him as he handed her the jelly.

Kenshin nodded and stood up to take the cream cheese and butter back to the kitchen. He returned shortly with a napkin in his hand.

"Here," Kenshin as he handed Kaoru the napkin.

"Thank you," Kaoru said as she took the napkin from him.

Kaoru ate in silence. Neither of them spoke. When Kaoru was finished Kenshin took her dishes and garbage to the kitchen. When he returned he began to talk.

"Well, I should be off to school," Kenshin stated as he turned to leave.

"Wait," Kaoru said as she sat up, wincing from the pain that shot through her arm, "Megumi called the school and told them that you and me were both sick so you don't have to go to school today."

Kenshin stopped and then turned to Kaoru, "Okay."

He sat down next to her, but neither started a conversation because neither of them knew what to say. Suddenly Kaoru sighed.

"What is it?" Kenshin asked.

Kaoru looked at him.

"It's nothing really," she said, "It's just that I can already see my friends' reaction when they see me tomorrow. They're doing to freak out on me."

Kaoru groaned at the thought. Kenshin chuckled slightly. Kaoru looked at him.

"What do you find so funny?" she asked him.

"Nothing," Kenshin said as he looked at her.

Then a question came to her.

"Hey Kenshin," Kaoru said.

"What?" he asked.

"Does your friend Aoshi have a girlfriend?" she asked.

Kenshin looked at her shocked for a moment.

"No, why do you want to know?" he asked curiously.

Kaoru looked at him.

"It's just that my friend Misao kind of has a thing for him," Kaoru and then she thought about it again, "Forget the kind of. I know she had a thing for him."

"Really?" Kenshin asked disbelievingly. He couldn't see anyone falling for his friend. Aoshi was pretty cold and quiet.

"Yeah, do you think that maybe Aoshi would consider going out with Misao?" Kaoru asked him.

"I don't know. I've never seen Aoshi have a girlfriend so I don't really know that kind of girl he likes, but," Kenshin said, "your friend Misao is the happy, cherry girl right?"

Kaoru nodded.

"Well, I don't know if he would go out with her, but maybe being around her would lighten him up a bit," Kenshin said.

"I guess we'll have to hook them up. How should we do it?" Kaoru asked Kenshin.

"Well," Kenshin started.

:::::::::::

Author's Note: Okay, here's Chapter 9. I got to a point that I had no idea what to write so I figured I'd try and put a little bit of Misao/Aoshi in here. Anyway, hope everyone liked this chapter. I know it was kind of short, but I that's because I did an extra long one last time. Ok, PLEASE READ AND REVIEW!! THANK YOU!!!

Coolgurl