Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Bet ❯ The Finale ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I DO NOT own Rurouni Kenshin!

Note: Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! LAST CHAPTER!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it ended up being 17 chapters long! (Coolgurl realizes why it took so long to type v.v;) Anyway, I am extremely sorry about the long wait. I had a class trip to D.C. and then finals so I was very busy. I apologize for making everyone wait! (GOMEN!!) Okay, let's get started! Please note that I'm not the best at endings. I tend to make them fluffy, sappy, predictable, and even sometimes depressing. (It depends on my mood.) (NOTE: THIS IS MY OWN OPINION). Okay, and without further ado. I am proud to announce the 17th & final chapter of The Bet!!!!!

Warning: May contain fluff, sap, etc. (and possible OOC)

The Bet *ReDone*

Chapter 17

The Finale

School had resumed the day after Kenshin's confession. However, it was four days after the event and Kaoru Kamiya had not gone to school nor had any of her friends heard from her. It was like she had disappeared. Kenshin returned to school on the third day, after his armed had a bit more time to heal. He disguised his wound as a broken arm slung in a cast. He told everyone that he had gotten into an accident on his bike and that had caused him to break his arm. Only Soujiro knew that that wasn't the case, but Kenshin made him swear not to tell a soul the truth. The last thing Kenshin needed was the whole student body knowing about Kaoru and the incident. As far as everyone else was concerned, Kenshin had broken up with Kaoru and that was why she wasn't in school. However, in truth, that was only part of the reason for her absence. Misao and Tae began to worry after the fourth day had come and they hadn't heard hide nor hair from Kaoru. During lunch the two girls discussed the dilemma before Soujiro joined them.

"What would cause Kaoru not to show up to school after four days? Do you think something bad happened to Yahiko or Megumi?" Tae asked Misao before taking a bite out of her Italian sub.

Misao swallowed the bite of her salad that she had just eaten before she talked.

"No, I don't think so. If something like that had happened I'm sure she would have consulted us or at least told us about it. I think it's something much deeper," Misao continued.

The two girls became silent as they ate and tired to think of anything that would cause their friend to remain unheard from for so long. After five minutes it hit Misao. Unfortunately for her, there was food in her mouth and when she tired to speak she almost choked on the food. She took a big gulp of water and swallowed everything before she began.

"I got it. I bet it was about the Winter Formal. After all Kenshin hurt her pretty badly. I never thought he could be such a spineless jerk," Misao stated.

"Your probably right and if that's the case we can't really just walk up to her and talk about it. She's probably trying to forget about it and get the nerve to come to school," Tae explained.

"Yeah you're right," Misao said as she began to think once again, "Still, something doesn't seem to make sense."

"What do you mean Misao?" Tae asked as she began to tidy up her spot.

"It just seems strange that after Winter Formal Kaoru would just disappear for four days. Plus isn't it odd that Kenshin was absent three days after formal for a motorcycle accident. However, only his arm was broken and there are no other visual scratches on his body. It seems weird that you can get into an accident and break your arm, but not receive any scraps or minor cuts," Misao stated logically.

"Now that you mention it, it seems kind of odd," Tae said.

The two of them went silent as they began to think. It was them that Soujiro joined them.

"Sorry it took me so long. The teacher needed help cleaning off the dry erase board," Soujiro state with a smile as he sat down as the table with the two girls.

Both of the girls looked at Soujiro and the same thought crossed their minds, `He followed after Kaoru during the Winter Formal. Maybe he knows something.'

Soujiro looked at the girls oddly.

"What is there something wrong?" Soujiro asked innocently.

"Soujiro you chased after Kaoru at the Winter Formal right?" Tae asked cautiously as if testing the waters before diving in for the kill.

Soujiro tensed up. He knew where this was going.

"Yes, that's true. I was worried about her," Soujiro stated calmly.

"So what happened after you both left the school?" Misao asked as she leaned closer to the boy who was sitting next to her.

Soujiro was about to tell them a complete lie, but before he got to say anything Misao gave him an evil look and said, "And you better not lie or I'll hunt you down until I can strangle you to death."

Soujiro took a big gulp of air to settle his nerves.

"I know what happened, but it's not my place to tell. If you want the truth you're best bet is to ask Kenshin, but I'll warn you now. You may not want to hear it," Soujiro finished before he gathered his stuff and left the table. Leaving the two girls slightly bewildered.

It wasn't until the end of the day that Misao and Tae found a chance to catch Kenshin while he was alone. As they approached to talk to him Aoshi showed up next to Kenshin.

"Hey, Kenshin can we talk to you for a second?" Misao asked once Tae and her were standing in front of the two guys.

Kenshin looked at her for a second before replying, "You guys want to know about Kaoru right?"

All three of the people stood stunned that he had come right out and said that. Misao smiled slightly.

"That's right. We're really worried about her and Soujiro said that we should talk to you about it," Misao replied.

Kenshin looked around the front of the school, checking to make sure no one else was around aside from the four of them. After being certain that they were alone, he turned his attention to his audience.

"You want the whole story?" Kenshin asked in a slightly monotone voice.

The three just nodded. Kenshin then told them the entire story, starting from when the bet was first made. He told them about how the people came after Kaoru, leaving out the part about her father. He even told them about the whole Soujiro and Winter Formal thing. By the time he had finished his story, all three people in front of him stood there in shock. Misao collapsed to her knees.

"Misao," Aoshi exclaimed as he bent down and helped the girl back onto her feet.

"Oh my god," was the only thing Misao could say.

Aoshi held the poor girl up since she was going through so much shock that her strength had left her. Misao's face began to turn pale. Misao tried to say more, but her words were caught in her throat and she was doing her best to hold back tears of sympathy for her close friend. Tae managed to find her voice.

"Poor Kaoru. I can't image," Tae stated, "but why didn't she talk to us about it?"

Kenshin hesitated. He didn't know the true reason for Kaoru's secrecy about the matter, but he came up with his own reason, "I'm not sure, but she probably just didn't want to worry you."

"So then the wound on your arm is from one of the guys who tried to kill Kaoru?" Misao asked inaudibly as she tried to regain her composure.

"Yes, his sword went through my arm. It was the only way I could stop his sword from going through her heart," Kenshin stated sadly.

Aoshi looked from Misao to Kenshin as he tried to comprehend everything said.

"So then Kenshin how do you really feel about Kaoru? You seem to have thrown everyone into a loop about that," Aoshi stated calmly.

Aoshi question drew all the attention to Kenshin. Kenshin hesitated.

"I love her. I know after what I've done you probably don't believe me, but I confessed to her the day after the formal. I giving her time to sort out her feelings, but deep down I know she probably can never return my feelings. I've hurt her way too much that I know I've probably used up all the chances I had," Kenshin stated sadly, "I wish there was a way I could turn back time and fix everything, but I know that's not possible. Besides if I did that I would erase all the good memories I had with her as well."

Kenshin turned his back to the three people he was with.

"Please forgive me Misao, Tae. I never meant to hurt Kaoru that bad," Kenshin said before he began walking home.

The three people just watched as Kenshin walked off into the distance.

"He really does care for her, doesn't he," Misao stated.

~:~Kenshin POV~:~

`I can't stay here and watch how I've hurt her so badly. My denseness is causing her heart to tare apart. Just watching it is breaking my heart as well. I can't stay here, if only for her sake.'

~:~Normal POV~:~

The next day of school started like normal. Kaoru was absent again, which by now was no surprise. However, there was a surprise that day. One that no one was suspecting.

"Okay everyone take your seats and shut your mouths!" Saito-sensei yelled out to the class. It was the last hour of the day.

Everyone quickly took their seats. You never wanted to be on Saito-sensei's bad side. Once everyone was quiet Saito began to speak again.

"I have an announcement to make," Saito stated, "Your classmate Kenshin Himura will be leaving us after today."

Mummers broke out throw the class and everyone turned their attention to Kenshin.

"Mr. Himura will be leaving for America. Make sure you wish him good luck. That's all. The rest of the hour is free period," Saito stated before he left the classroom.

"When are you leaving Kenshin?" a girl who sat next to Kenshin asked.

"Tonight. My plane takes off at 8:30 tonight from Tokyo International Airport," Kenshin responded.

Misao stared at Kenshin with a shocked look. The bell rang and dismissed the school for the day. Misao ran to catch up with Kenshin before he left the school. She found him at his locker as he was closing it.

"Kenshin!" Misao yelled.

She managed to catch his attention and he turned around to face her.

"What?" Kenshin asked.

"Is it true that you're moving to the US?" Misao asked as she caught her breath from running around the halls.

Kenshin just nodded.

"But, but what about Kaoru?" Misao complained.

Kenshin turned his head to the side as his bangs covered his eyes.

"I've hurt her so much. I just can't stand here and watch how she falls apart because of me. She'd be better off if I was gone," Kenshin stated sadly, "Now, if you'll excuse me. I still have some last minute packing left."

With that Kenshin walked past Misao and out the front door of the school with no plans of returning. Misao just watched as he walked away.

"I can't just stand here and watch them kill each other slowly," Misao stated as she ran out the front door.

On the way out the door she crashed into someone. Misao flew back into the school while the person she had bumped into flew backward toward the stairs. Luckily he caught himself before he flew down the stairs.

"Sorry I wasn't watching where I was going," the man said as he held out his hand to Misao who was currently on the ground.

"No that was my fault," Misao said before she looked up at the person who she had crashed into, "Aoshi!"

"Where were you going in such a hurry?" Aoshi asked as Misao took his hand and he helped her back to her feet.

"I was heading to Kaoru's to tell her about Kenshin's leaving," Misao stated.

"I'll go with you," Aoshi stated calmly.

Misao looked at him shocked before she replied, "But why?"

"I owe both of them and there's no way I'm going to let them separate like this because of some stupid misunderstanding," Aoshi stated.

Misao smiled at him, "You're a really nice guy Aoshi."

Aoshi just smiled slightly as he pulled Misao with him. Their hands were still together.

"Let's go or we won't make it," Aoshi stated.

Misao stared down at their intertwined hands and blushed before she nodded and they took off toward Kaoru's house. It was 5:00pm by the time they made it too Kaoru's house. Many of the roads were closed off for construction purposes. They got to the door and Misao knocked. It was Megumi who answered the door this time.

"Oh Misao-chan, it's good to see you again," Megumi said kindly as she gazed at Aoshi, "and who might your friend be?"

"Megumi this is Aoshi. Aoshi this is Megumi. Anyway, we really need to talk to Kaoru," Misao stated urgently.

"I'm sorry Misao, but Kaoru's in no condition to talk right now. She hasn't slept, talked, or eaten since Kenshin brought her back the night of the formal," Megumi stated.

Misao turned pale, but she persisted, "This is very important though Megumi. Kenshin's about to leave the country!"

Megumi looked at her slightly stunned, "Okay, but be warned. You're not going to like the sight."

Megumi moved away from the doorway and allowed the two to come into the house. Misao and Aoshi found Kaoru in her bedroom. When they walked in Misao gasped. Kaoru was extremely pale. There were black circles around her eyes proving that she hadn't slept well in a while. She had become slightly thinner too. There was food lying all over the room, but now of it was eaten. The only thing that looked like it had been used recently in the room was the pillow.

"Kaoru?" Misao asked as her voice slightly shook.

"Mi..sao," Kaoru croaked out. She hadn't used her voice since the day after the formal.

Misao rushed over to her friend and pulled her into a hug.

"Oh my god, I was so worried about you!" Misao exclaimed as her tears surfaced to her eyes.

Misao pulled away and looked at her friend's face. Kaoru stared back at her with clouded tired eyes.

"That's right I almost forgot. We have something important to tell you," Misao stated.

Kaoru just stared at her.

"Kaoru, Kenshin is moving to the US," Misao stated.

Kaoru just pushed Misao away lightly and turned her head to the side as if she was uninterested.

"Kaoru," Misao slightly whispered.

"I don't think I can forgive him Misao," Kaoru said in a soft voice.

"But Kaoru," Misao said as she tried to find a way to convince her, "What about all the good times you had together."

Kaoru remained still.

"What about when he protected you from that guy that tried to kill you in the street or the guy that tried to kill you in the woods, or the one that even almost murdered in the building after formal!" Misao yelled.

Kaoru turned at that statement.

"Kenshin didn't tell you everything did he? Did he tell you about my father?" Kaoru asked.

"What are you talking about? What about your father?" Misao asked.

"He was an assassin in the mafia Misao! He murdered so many people. That's why so many people were after my life!" Kaoru tried to yell.

Misao's eyes widened as tears fell down Kaoru's face.

"What did Kenshin do when you told him?" Aoshi asked, speaking up for the first time.

Kaoru hesitated before she spoke, "He didn't say anything, but he tried to comfort me."

"Doesn't that account for anything Kaoru? And what about Christmas and when Kenshin followed us all the way to Kyoto to apologize to you? Does that not mean anything either?" Misao asked, "What about all those times you came to school smiling because you had walked with Kenshin?"

Kaoru remained quiet.

"Can you at least realize that you care for him Kaoru!" Misao yelled.

Kaoru turned to Misao her eyes wide. Misao had tears running down her face.

"It's true, I do care for him Misao, but how do I know he's not going to turn on me again?" Kaoru asked her friend.

"You'll never know unless you try and if you don't hurry you're going to lose that chance," Misao stated.

"What do you mean Misao? I can just talk to Kenshin tomorrow," Kaoru stated.

Misao looked at the clock that was resting on Kaoru's dresser. It read 7:15.

"Because in an hour Kenshin will be on a plane that will be leaving Tokyo International Airport and is on its way to America," Misao stated.

Kaoru just stared at her with wide eyes.

"You mean he's leaving tonight?" Kaoru asked as she slowly made her way to her feet.

Misao nodded and said, "If you don't hurry, he'll be gone Kaoru."

"We'll leave you to think about it," Misao said as she stood up and dragged Aoshi out of the room with her.

Kaoru just stared at the door.

`He's leaving. He'll be gone forever,' Kaoru thought to herself.

The thought made her heart ache. The thought of Kenshin being gone forever hurt more than she thought it would. She quickly made up her mind.

`I have to see him, at least one last time. Misao's right. How can I know whether I can trust him or not if I don't try? After all he did apologize and he protected me so many times. He even got that horrible wound in his arm in order to save me. He risked his life to bring me home even though he was on the verge of death,' Kaoru thought to herself as she quickly changed into clean clothes.

Kaoru quickly left her room. As she passed the family room she spotted Misao and Aoshi. They smiled at her and she mouthed a "thank you" to them before leaving the house and calling on a taxi. Misao and Aoshi left after thanking Megumi. As soon as they were outside Misao turned to Aoshi.

"Do you think she'll make it?" Misao asked him as she took his hand and stared off in the direction that Kaoru had just taken off through.

Aoshi pulled Misao in front of him and wrapped his arms around her as he said, "I hope so. I really hope so."

~:~Kaoru~:~

Kaoru sat in the taxi as it made it's way to the airport. She sat there silently as she recalled all the memories Kenshin and her had shared. There were so many more good times than there were bad times.

`I really do love him,' Kaoru thought to herself as the airport finally came into view around 8:15pm.

~:~Airport~:~

Kaoru reached the airport at 8:20 pm. She ran as fast as she could into the airport. She checked the flight times and saw the one listed for America at 8:30.

"That has to be it. Flight 85 at gate 255," Kaoru stated as she ran to where the boarding gates were, hoping that she would make it in time.

~:~Elsewhere in Airport~:~

"Final boarding call for flight 85 to America boarding at gate 255," an announcer said over the P.A.

"That's my flight," Kenshin said to himself as he picked up his carry on bag and walked over to the gate.

Kenshin handed the woman his ticket and she checked it over before handing it back.

"Welcome to our airlines and enjoy your flight," the lady said.

"Thank you," Kenshin said as he retrieved his ticket from her and walked into the tunnel way that would lead him onto the plane.

~:~Kaoru~:~

After 5 minutes of searching she finally found it. As her eyes landed on the gate she saw Kenshin walk into the tunnel that would lead him to the plane.

`No!' Kaoru yelled to herself.

She gathered whatever strength she had and dashed to the gate. Without thinking she ran pass the ticket woman and into the tunnel.

"Miss you're not allowed in there," the woman yelled as she grabbed a hold of Kaoru's arm. Kaoru tried to fight her off, but she was too weak from her lack of necessities that she had deprived herself from earlier that week. She used whatever courage and strength in her voice she had left to yell, "Kenshin!"

~:~Normal~:~

Kenshin was halfway through the tunnel when he heard someone yell his name. He turned around and headed back toward the front of the tunnel. As he came out of the tunnel his eyes widened. Kaoru was standing right near the gate with tears streaming down her eyes.

"Kaoru?" Kenshin managed to say.

Kaoru's eyes widened as she whispered, "Kenshin."

Kaoru went to take a step forward, but she tripped over her own foot and began to fall straight to the floor.

"Kaoru!" Kenshin yelled as he dropped his carry-on bag and raced to her.

He caught her and pulled her straight to his chest.

Once Kenshin was sure it was Kaoru standing in his arms he spoke, "What are you doing here Kaoru?"

Kaoru wrapped her arms around Kenshin's back and lifted herself so that her mouth was close to his ear before she whispered, "Please don't go. I… I … I love you Kenshin. Please don't leave me alone. I don't want to be alone."

Kenshin stood there shocked for a moment before he wrapped his one good arm around her frail body.

`Thank you god for giving me one last chance,' Kenshin thought to himself as he relished the feeling of her with him.

He pulled her away slightly so he could look her in the eye. Her eyes were red and puffy from tears. He used his thumb to gently wipe her tears away and then slowly leaned toward her. Their lips met a moment later. Kaoru felt so relieved that she had made it in time. She felt his love filling every inch of her. That feeling and the exhaustion of the week's activities caused to collapse in a deep and peaceful slumber as soon as they pulled their lips away from each other. Kenshin felt her body go limp as she fell asleep in his arms. He smiled at the peaceful expression that graced her face. He carefully pulled her up, bridal style, into his arms, not caring about the pain that it caused his arm. He carried her out of the airport and into a nearby taxi as his plane took off for the sky, thanking god that he had been given one final chance to start over with her. This time there would be no bet involved what so ever.

The End!!!

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

Author's Note:

YEAH!!!!!! IT'S DONE!!!! I'm still kind of leery about the ending, but I hope it was at least okay. Anyway, thank you to all the people that reviewed this story, especially the ones that reviewed after every chapter was released. I thank you for your patience with me. I hope everyone enjoyed this story since I had a lot of fun writing it. Thank you once again. I hope that you will still:

READ AND REVIEW PLEASE!

Even though the story has ended.

Note 2: ATTENTION READERS!!! I am asking for your help. I am having a lack of ideas for stories. If there was ever an idea you had for a story, but you couldn't seem to write it yourself please either LEAVE ME A REVIEW OR EMAIL me your idea and maybe and I can write it for you. I have only a few rules.

RULES:

Story has to be romance(it seems to be the only genre I can write well.

Rated either G, PG, OR PG13. No higher.

Preferably a series and couple I have mentioned on my info page. I know the characters better and I can write better if I enjoy the couple I'm writing about. Examples:

*InuYasha: InuYasha/Kagome Miroku/Sango
*Fushigi Yuugi: Miaka/Tamahome
*Rurouni Kenshin: Kenshin/Kaoru
*Rayearth: Umi/Ascot Hikaru/Lantis Fuu/Ferio
*His and Her Cirumstances: Arima/Yukino Tsubasa/Kazuma
*Escaflowne: Van/Hitomi
*Cardcaptors: Sakura/Syaoran(Li) Tomoyo(Madison)/Eriol(Eli)
*Sailor Moon: Chibiusa/Helios
*Slayers: Lina/Gourry Amelia/Zel
*Marmalade Boy: Miki/Yuu
*Orphen: Cleo/Orphen
*Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne: Maron/Chiaki Jeanne/Sinbad Fin/Access
*DNAngel: Daisaki/Riku
*Kodocha: Sana/Hayama
*Pretear: Himeno/Hayate
*Time Stranger Kyoko: Kyoko/Sakataki
*Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch: Luchia/Kaito
*Chrno Crusade: Rosette/Chrno

The final rule is that I would prefer if it was not a crossover fic.

If you have any ideas please either LEAVE A REVIEW OR EMAIL ME and I'll get back to you about it.

Here are some of my current ideas:

(InuYasha) Kagome works at a bank. One day during work the bank is robbed. Kagome sees the theif's identiy so he is forced to kidnap her. The thief turns out to be InuYasha. (Note: This would be AU so Kagome and InuYasha haven't net yet.) It would be a romance story, but the first part is the basic start of the story line.

(InuYasha) ONE-SHOT Song-fic. About Kagome going home after the jewel is complete and Naraku is dead. Song: Please Remember by LeanAnn Rimes Couple: Inu/Kag

(Kenshin) Kaoru has a nightmare about some guy killing her and screams. Kenshin comforts her and tells her it was just a dream. However, the next day the guy from Kaoru's dream shows up at the dojo's front door.

(Kenshin) ONE-SHOT Fluff. Kenshin and company go to the festivial. Kenshin and Kaoru dance. Kaoru falls and breaks her sandal strap. Kenshin carries her to see the fireworks. Etc.

(InuYasha) Short 2 chapter story. It snows in the feudal era and InuYasha's group stops at a deserted cabin to rest. The group plays in the snow the whole day. The next day Kagome is sick. Miroku, Sango, Kirara, and Shippo leave on a lead about a jewel shard and InuYasha is left to take care of sick Kagome.

Those are my only ideas so far. Tell me what you think by EMAILING ME OR LEAVING A REVIEW!!

Okay that's all. PLEASE READ & REVIEW! Also tell me your ideas and what you think about my ideas for stories.

THANK YOU!!

Coolgurl