Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Venomous Revelations ❯ Misao's Dream ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Venomous Revelations

A Romantic Drama by: Serenity-chan

POV = * *
Thoughts = ' '
Speaking = " " (Did I really need to say that?)

Misao's Dream

"Aoshi-sama, wake up!" whispered a four-year-old Misao excitedly. "Wake up!"

Aoshi Shinomori, fourteen at the time, would normally have snapped at anyone who disturbed him at some ungodly hour. But this was a special circumstance - he knew it was only Misao so he just turned over and pretended to go back to sleep. Of course, even when she was very small, Misao didn't give up easily. Crouching like a kitten, she pounced. Aoshi jerked wide-awake as the little girl landed on his side.

"Up a little early, aren't you, Misao-chan?" he asked calmly, trying not to wince at the little girl's bony knee connecting with the area of his back he had been teaching her to aim a kidney punch at.

The young Misao nodded emphatically, obviously very proud of herself.

"Any special reason?" persisted Aoshi, wrapping one arm around the little girl and pulling her down in front of him as he lay back down.

"Misao-chan woke up and couldn't go back to sleep," whispered Misao, excited at this new accomplishment.

Aoshi sat up, holding Misao against his chest, and looked around.

"Well, there's no point in going back to sleep now," he said, looking down at Misao's hopeful little face. "Let's go see if Okina left the back door unlocked."

"Yay!" squeaked Misao, eager as a terrier puppy.

"Shh! Not so loud, Misao-chan!" Aoshi chided gently, nuzzling the tip of Misao's nose with his - silence, valued by ninjas, was not yet one of the child's strong points. "Now come on."

The fourteen-year-old reluctantly left the warmth of his futon but immediately shook sleep away, then pushed himself to his feet, and set Misao on his shoulder. The skinny little girl giggled happily and tangled her fingers in Aoshi's silky black hair. The youth gave a faint smile and the two of them went downstairs to find the back door was indeed unlocked. The sun was just rising, highlighting a pretty Zen temple up on a hill.

"Look at the temple, Misao-chan," Aoshi said softly, standing on the back porch.

"It's pretty!" whispered Misao excitedly.

"I've always wanted to see the inside of it," commented Aoshi, sounding almost wistful as the intensive training that had gone on for his whole life gave way for a moment to the emotion of a fourteen-year-old boy. "But I've never had time to go. It's a shame since it's so close..."

"Let's go now!" exclaimed Misao, throwing her arms up in the air and slipping off Aoshi's shoulder. "YEEP!"

Reacting instantly - almost reflexively - Aoshi caught the child quickly, settled her in his arms, and held her close. He let his chin rest on her small shoulder as she clung to him, wrapping her arms around his neck and hiding her face in his shirt. Aoshi wouldn't admit it to anyone, but his heart had skipped a beat when Misao fell.

"Be careful, Misao-chan," he whispered, rocking her back and forth and stroking her long black braid to comfort her. "I don't ever want to see you hurt..."

Then her dream changed.

Misao Makimachi, sixteen once more, was running - and stumbling - up the familiar stone staircase at top speed. She gritted her teeth, irritated, as she tried her hardest to speed up. How very much longer it seemed to be when she was in such a desperate hurry! She wanted to see him again, no, NEEDED to see him again so badly! Aoshi-sama had been spending so much time there...

The ninja girl tripped on the top step like usual and landed sprawled out on the stone floor in a less-than-graceful position - bluntly, an undignified heap. As she bounced right back like she always did, picking herself up and dusting herself off, she saw him. There was Aoshi, right where he always was - in deep meditation and staring at a small, white candle. How long had he been up here, alone in the temple, with no one but his own demons? It seemed like all he ever did was stare at that candle.

"Aoshi-sama?" asked Misao timidly.

No response. He usually gave her some kind of answer. Tentatively, Misao took a step towards him.

"Aoshi-sama?" she asked again, a bit louder this time.

Still no response, so she tried again.

"Please, Aoshi-sama," she begged. "Please, just talk to me!"

"Leave me," Aoshi replied tonelessly, not turning his head or even redirecting his gaze.

"What!?" yelped Misao.

She was at his side instantly.

"Please, Aoshi-sama!" she cried, putting one hand on his shoulder. "Don't push me away! I lo---..."

He cut her off with a cold glare and a tight, almost painful grip on her wrist.

"Leave me," he ordered. "And never approach me again."

"But Aoshi-sama---" Misao pleaded.

"Go," commanded Aoshi, roughly pushing her away as he got up and left her to cry.