Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ When it Rains ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers: Rurouni Kenshin was created by Nobuhiro Watsuki. I don't own anything I'm just borrowing.

"..." indicates dialogues

'...' indicates thoughts

WHEN IT RAINS

Chapter 2

It's been four days since Kaoru first got the letter, but different of what she thought, nothing has happened since then. No letters.... no threats... no one showing up at the dojo to intimidate her.

'I think that maybe I overreact just because of a letter. It's probably someone playing games at me. A bad joke, that's all it was. But then again how could they possibly know?' Kaoru pondered, as she got dressed inside her bedroom.

As the uncertainty grew inside of her head, Kaoru took hold of the letter to see its words again even after having read it hundreds of times. And every time she did it, her heart ached as if a sharp piece of ice stabbed it.

< Kamiya Kaoru,>

< We know that your father was a murderer who hid himself behind a non-killing technique and words of peace. We know it was only a façade while he kept killing people and teaching how to kill. And now that he's resting in hell, it's time for you to join him, but first we'll make you pay for his sins. >

No, it wasn't just a joke and she couldn't lie to herself. A huge feeling of sorrow overtook her as the words < killing people > registered on her mind and she closed her eyes to prevent tears from falling. ' I have to be strong' she thought firmly.

*************************************************

The day was beautiful outside, very warm and peaceful and to Kenshin it was the perfect kind of day to do the laundry. As he did his favorite chore be was hearing Sano babbling over his gambling night- adventure, very proud of himself.

"Oro, Sano! You know you shouldn't get yourself in troubles because of gamble. It's been only a few weeks since you came back to Tokyo." Kenshin censured his friend.

"So what?! They're cheating!! And no one cheats on me, that's why I beat them up. The nerve, they thought they could take me down! Those jerks deserved it!!"

" Yes, but Sano you s..." Kenshin trailed off as he watched Kaoru pass through him with a very sad look on her face. 'Has she been crying again? Why? And why doesn't she tell me anything?'

"Hey, Jou-cha!! Aren't you at least telling us good morning? Where are you going in such a hurry?" Sano scolded her.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I haven't seen you two. Ohayo Sano, Kenshin. But weren't you at breakfast this morning, Sano, like always?" Kaoru said sarcastically.

"Of course I was but you weren't!! Jeez, Jou-chan, it looks like you didn't sleep at all last night. Hey wait a minute!!" He glanced from Kenshin to Kaoru and back again, grinning wickedly, " Did you and Kenshin have some fun last night...if you know what I mean? Wow! Go Battousai Go!!" Sano finished playfully.

"SANO!" Both Kenshin and Kaoru yelled, blushing hard.

"Mou, Sano! Don't you have anything else to do other than picking on me?" Kaoru said pouting.

"Kaoru-dono, Sano's right!" Kenshin affirmed all of a sudden.

"About what?!" Kaoru asked in surprise, bokken in hands.

"The two of you??" Sano's eyes bulged.

Noticing their confusion, Kenshin said in a hurry, "Iie!! Not that!!" Sano rolled his eyes and Kaoru let go of the bokken, which was ready to crush his head. Kenshin let out a deep sigh and went on "Sessha was talking about the breakfast. Kaoru-dono didn't have it today de gozaru." His voice and eyes were full of concern.

Their eyes locked briefly, 'Oh, Kenshin! I'm so sorry for making you worried.' She thought inwardly

"That's because I wasn't hungry, Kenshin. But you know what? I feel hungry now. I think I'm gonna eat something." Kaoru replied with the most happy smile she could muster in an attempt to ease him.

"Do we still have food from breakfast or did a rooster head have it all?" Kaoru asked glaring at Sano.

"Hey!! It's not my fault I have a fast metabolism that's why I have to eat a lot!" Sano grumbled.

"Yeah! Right!" Kaoru smirked.

"Oro!"

Kaoru walked towards the kitchen, all the while Kenshin's eyes following her. 'Kami-sama, she's so beautiful and I love her so much, I wish I could just tell her that, but every time I try my stained past holds me back. And now she seems so distant. I know there's something wrong.' Kenshin last thought made his eyes to flash slightly gold.

"Wow Kenshin! Stop gawking at Jou-chan before you start drooling." Sano called out with a mischievous grin on his face.

"Oro! Sessha wasn't... It's not like that Sano. Sessha is worried about her." Kenshin replied, slightly blushing.

"Yeah, right! Seriously Kenshin, when are you gonna tell her that you love her? I mean it's about time! This little game of yours is getting pretty damn annoying." Sano said, a fish bone hanging out of his mouth.

"I don't know what you are talking about." Kenshin said, feigning innocence as he resumed to his laundry.

Sano just ignored him, "Damnit, Kenshin! I thought the two of you would end up together after that Enishi episode. I mean, you were left alone here with her and yet when I came back I found you doing... the laundry, I even thought I would see a lot of little Jou-chan and rurouni brats."

"You were away for only two months, Sano!!" Kenshin exclaimed.

"So what!? It's time enough to do a lot of things that you haven't!!! And I'm not the only one who sees that. Haven't you noticed how the fox has been acting around you since she came back from Aizu? She's all over you, flirting with you even more than she used to! She's probably thinking that you and Jou-chan will never work things out." Sano said, shaking his head in exasperation.

Kenshin just kept doing the laundry; he was getting a little annoying by Sano's words.

"I'm telling ya, one day Jou-chan will get tired of you and some jerk will show up and steal her right under your nose!!"

Kenshin scrubbed the cloth more harshly this time but said nothing.

"I mean, if you need some hints on what you have to do, maybe ten years was too much time and you just..."

"SANO!" Kenshin interrupted him, eyes flashing amber, and the rooster head knew he shouldn't push any further.

"Sorry, Kenshin. I was just trying to help." Sano said scratching his head.

The rurouni calmed down and resumed to his laundry.

"Kenshin?" Sano asked tentative.

"Yes?"

"Er... you said you're worried about Jou-chan. Why is that?" Sano questioned with interest.

"It's just that lately, Kaoru-dono has been distant like she's hiding something that is causing her pain. Every time sessha tries to talk to her she finds some lame excuse and draws back."

Sano patted the rurouni on his shoulder, "Sorry, Kenshin. Yup, it's happened already."

"Nani?" Kenshin asked with questioning violet eyes.

"Isn't that obvious?!" Sano's brows knotted. "She found somebody else" he said amused.

"SANO!"

"Just joking. Anyways I'm sure it's nothing bad."

*************************************************

Kaoru was practicing at the dojo as Kenshin watched her, his violet eyes soft. She was ready to give another swing with her bokken when something stopped her; she turned around to see Kenshin standing in front of her, holding her bokken.

"K-Kenshin? What's wrong?" she asked worried.

"Kaoru-dono, sessha wants to talk to you. I've made tea." Kenshin said quietly, smiling at her.

"Uh...sure, Kenshin." Kaoru replied, she gasped when Kenshin took her hands to guide her towards the kitchen.

She sat there wondering what he could possibly want to talk about, afraid of his questions for she couldn't tell him anything yet. She wasn't ready for. Kaoru watched him as he pour the tea.

A strange silence followed but it didn't last long.

" Kaoru-dono, is there something wrong? You've been so quiet and sad lately. Sessha is worried." Kenshin said staring at her deep blue eyes.

She found extremely hard to lie under his intense gaze so she lowered her head, shadowing her face with her bangs.

"There's no reason for you to worry, Kenshin. There's nothing wrong." Kaoru murmured, shaking her head slightly to reaffirm herself.

It hurt him to hear those words for he knew she was lying. He went to sat next to her and held her hands in his and said softly, " Please Kaoru-dono tell me what's been bothering you, sessha... I just want to help you."

He was so close...like she always wanted him to, but not now. When she couldn't be completely honest with him. She wished he would just hold her in his arms and forget about everything...the letter...her past...her father. 'But that's what you've been doing all this time, forgetting.' her mind scolded her.

"Kenshin... I...", she looked up at him, their faces were inches apart...so close, she could feel his breath playing with her lips. 'He'll hate you when he find out then he'll leave you again!' her mind shouted at her that made her pulled away suddenly.

As for Kenshin he was fighting a battle of his own to prevent himself from take her in his arms and kiss her. But he was losing himself inside the pool of her blue eyes, her jasmine fragrance assaulting his senses. 'Kami-sama, she's so close and it feels so right... I could just...' but before he could finished she had moved away from him. 'Nooooooo' he screamed inwardly.

"Kenshin", she said smiling, "the tea will get cold."

"Aa" Kenshin said smiling in return but inside his head he was confused 'What just happened here? Why did she move away? I was so sure she felt the same way!'

*************************************************

*Knock* *Knock*

"Come in" said the man sitting in a chair behind a big desk, he was looking at the dark night outside through a window.

"Sorry to interrupt you, sir, but I have great news. He's coming to Tokyo just like you said he would. Everything is working as you planned, sir." A huge bald man grumbled, an evil grin spreading on his face.

"Great news indeed." replied the man who was sitting, he didn't bother to turn and face the bald one as he went on, "And the girl?"

"We've sent her the letter already, sir." The large man said.

"Good, so now it's time to send her another message," he paused, This time make sure to send her something more than just a letter, something more... real." Even in the dark his grin was clear, he waved his hand to the man commanding him to leave.

The bald was already closing the door, "Wait!"

"Yes, sir?"

"What about the others?"

"Humph... weak. They won't be a problem. I've already sent some of ours to take care of them."

"Good, now leave me."

The large man left, closing the door behind.

~~~~~~~~~

AN: So how was it? Bad? I hope not. Please tell me what you think about this chapter. Should I go on? Leave me a Review!!!^_^