Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ When it Rains ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers: Like always, I don't own Rurouni Kenshin!

"…" indicates dialogues

'…' indicates thoughts

Warning: This fic contains some spoilers of Jinchuu arc.

WHEN IT RAINS

Chapter 9

Kenshin watched the man's back standing in the center of the dojo. The entire house was taken by an overwhelming silence only slightly disturbed, from time to time, by the wind playing with the grass and the sakura trees. The red-haired samurai noticing the strong battle aura directed against him coming from the other man, knew something was wrong. But before he could say anything the other man spoke to him wrathfully, "Unsheathe your sword!"

"What…" Kenshin faltered confused.

"I said draw your sword and fight me Battousai!!" Seiya growled turning around to face him.

Kenshin's eyes leveled up slowly to meet Seiya's as realization came to him. Of course the younger man would like to know more about the male who lived in the same house as Kaoru. That shouldn't be much of a surprise to him. So, the stranger knew about his past. Who he had been; who he still was. Once more his past had brought problems to Kaoru despite his will to prevent it. For Seiya, the fact that he had once been known as Battousai was reason enough to start a fight, reason enough to want him far away from Kaoru as possible. Did he think of Kenshin as a threat to Kaoru when all he wanted was to protect her? Kenshin felt his blood heating as anger began to rise up inside of him but he fought against it.

"I don't know why you want to fight me but sessha has no intention to do the same. A fight between the two of us won't do any good to Kaoru-dono." Kenshin said summoning all his calm.

"Cut it out, Battousai! I know the danger you represent to her. Can you imagine my surprise when I found out that despite all the other threats, the more dangerous one was living right under her roof? None other than the bloody and cruel slaughterer Battousai." Seiya shouted taking one step towards Kenshin. "So give it a break with the polite talking."

"Sessha's only wish is to protect Kaoru-dono and you're wrong if you think she doesn't know exactly who sessha was. She has no problem with it." Kenshin stated unwaveringly, not changing his speech pattern.

"I'm sure she doesn't. What lies did you tell her so she would accept you so kindly?" Seiya asked dryly, taking of his overcoat and exposing the two swords he had.

"Sessha told her no lies; she knows about my past. Maybe you can ask her if you wish." Kenshin voiced, his violet eyes never leaving Seiya's.

"So you've poisoned her mind! She would have never opened the doors of her house for someone like you!" Seiya yelled back at him, pointing an accusingly finger toward Kenshin.

"Sessha thinks you don't know Kaoru-dono as well as you believe you do," the red-haired man's voice held a tinge of sarcasm.

"Shut up. She is a nice person and I'm sure you took advantage of this kindness. If you did anything else to her you bastard I swear I'll… Enough of this! Draw you sword!!" Seiya snapped annoyed by the so passive way Kenshin talked with him. 'What the hell is wrong with this guy? If I didn't know for sure I'd laugh if somebody said to me he is in fact the hitokiri Battousai.'

"No! Sessha won't fight you!" Kenshin stated factually.

"You won't?! Very well!" Seiya started to walk from side to side, his eyes locked with Kenshin's. "It seems you care for Kaoru's welfare don't you?"

Kenshin's brows knit at the sudden change of matter and the ironic tone in his voice. What was that man up to? Determined to find out, Kenshin just nodded.

"Good, because now maybe you can explain some things I've learned today that I quite don't understand yet. If you care so much for her well-being why would you be the cause of making her travel to Kyoto, risking her life to fight against a Shishio's faction?" Seiya's voice was defiant.

"That was…" Kenshin began to reply but was promptly interrupted by Seiya's words.

"Or maybe you can tell me about the time when she was kidnapped by another former hitokiri."

"Enough. You don't know what you're talk about." Kenshin tried again, keeping his voice low and even, trying to hold on his voice the self-control his body was fighting against as showed clearly by his darkened face, his gritted teeth and the sweat streaming down his temple.

Sensing the changes in Kenshin's stance, more aggressive, Seiya knew he was close of losing his cool, 'Almost there. I just have to hit the right spot.' And he knew exactly what subject would do the work.

"But what I would like to know most about is… wait, maybe you could show me so I would know exactly where you found her fake dead body."

Kenshin's head jerked forward, his eyes widened and confronted Seiya's defiant stare. But his eyes, far from actually seeing the other man, were filled with the vision from the painful memory Seiya's words had brought back to him. Kaoru's lifeless body pinned against the wall by the sword pierced through her chest and that horrible cross shaped scar scratched on her cheek. Seiya's hard words had opened a wound still too fresh in his heart; a wound he knew would never completely heal. All the anger he was holding back burst out, claiming to take control of his body, all of it concentrated in only one person who had ignited everything. The man in front of him. The intruder. Seiya.

"I said enough!" Kenshin snapped out, lunging forward so quickly Seiya didn't even have the chance to draw his own sword. Instead he blocked the attack with the hilt of his katana still sheathed. Still the attack had been so powerful that he stumbled backwards unable to absorb the blow completely.

Even if a little surprised by Kenshin's reaction, Seiya didn't suppress the disdainful smirk and the taunt in his tone when he said, "There! Now you're finally ready to fight. Let's see if you're as good as people say you are." Seiya took his stance and drawing his sword; he ran towards the red haired samurai. He brought his sword down only to meet Kenshin's blade, causing a metal scream to reverberate through the dojo.

Blocking the attack, Kenshin shoved Seiya's sword aside just to swiftly duck and hit Seiya's abdomen with his sakabatou.

The younger man's breath caught in his throat and he gritted his teeth at the powerful blow but he didn't fall back. Instead he rotated his body and thrust his blade against Kenshin's back.

Anticipating Seiya's move, Kenshin blocked the deadly blow using the scabbard of his sword. However he didn't see Seiya drawing another sword, a shorter one, in time to stop the strike entirely. The younger man had aimed to stab his chest but Kenshin dodged so the blow hit his shoulder cutting it slightly.

******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* *******

Kaoru's entire body, with the exception of her head, was sunk under the warm water. She couldn't remember enjoying a bath in a long time. 'I feel much better now after telling them the truth,' she mused. Kaoru was feeling very peaceful, her thoughts free of worries, when she heard the metallic piercing sound of two swords clashing against each other and two battle cries she recognized instantly. Her heart stopped beating. 'Kenshin and Seiya! What's going on?!' Without further thoughts, she got out of the water tub, grabbed her yukata, not caring to dry herself up, she put on it, her trembling fingers fumbling at the sash. Concerned, she sped up to the place where the sounds of a fight came from.

******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* *******

Kenshin stood glaring at Seiya who was scornfully smiling at him, a victorious look on his face. Kenshin's hand came over his wounded shoulder, not quite believing he had been hit, angry when he saw his blood in his hand and the pleased expression his opponent's face took on.

"It seems like you're not that good. I should have known. People get carried away sometimes, especially when it's about a legend. It must be hard for you, you know, being only a shadow of what you once were," Seiya said nonchalantly, his lips curved up in distaste.

Those words reached Kenshin, releasing something inside of him, an anger he couldn't name. The man was having fun! The man was testing his will and strength to protect Kaoru. Kenshin sheathed his sword, eyes shadowed by his bangs but underneath the shadows they flashed slightly amber.

"Already giving up!? Don't you think is too presumption of you to believe you can protect her when you can't even fight me?" Seiya taunted once more.

When Kenshin looked up it wasn't the same controlled and calm man who had been standing there before. His violet eyes had changed color, they're amber. Cold and impassive narrowed amber eyes. His once serious expression replaced by a cruel unbreakable one. His lips curled into a sadistic smile. He had had enough. He would show to Seiya he could protect Kaoru, including from him. Kenshin took a step towards the other man not breaking his gaze, he said low but roughly, "It's pathetic the fact that a simple scratch would make you so pleased. But enjoy it because your sword won't touch me again."

Seiya raised an eyebrow at him. The man standing in front of him at that moment was a completely different one from the one he had been fighting. But refusing to show any sign of fear, Seiya replied firmly, "I'm not afraid of you Battousai. Come."

Kenshin grinned mockingly at him, "You're lying. I can see the hesitation in your eyes. Whoever you faced before, believe me, you're not ready for this," he finished, taking a battoujutsu stance.

They stood still for a moment that the tension would make seem as an eternity to anyone watching the scene, but all of sudden they charged at each other. The two of them knowing that was the strike to decide the fight.

"Hiten Mitsurug…"

"No!! Stop it!!" Kaoru had just entered the dojo, hands over her open mouth, a perplexed and shocked expression on her face.

Both Kenshin and Seiya stopped dead in their tracks by her fearful scream. She looked, eyes widened, from one man to the other. Breathing heavily, her hands left her mouth and came over her heart, after getting her ability of speech back, she finally spoke, "What happened? Kenshin? …Seiya? Why were you two fighting each other?"

Kenshin sheathed his sword; he closed his eyes and shook his head vigorously when his gaze turned back to normal he looked at her trembling form, "Kaoru-dono, I'm sorry."

"The hell with you!" Seiya snapped to Kenshin and turning to Kaoru he added calmer, "Kaoru, do you have any idea of who this man is?"

"Seiya, what…? She narrowed her eyes attempting to understand what he meant.

Seiya snorted. "For crying out loud! He's the hitokiri Battousai and you accepted him in your house! What were you thinking? What did he tell you so you would invited him in?" Seiya demanded accusingly.

Kaoru gazed at Kenshin for a moment as Seiya's words registered in her mind and she finally understood what was going on. Kenshin had an apologetic and sad expression on his face and seeing him like that made her a little angry at Seiya for being so precipitate to judge him.

She turned to Seiya and spoke, voice full of certainty, "He told me the truth; I invited him in and then he told me his name: Himura Kenshin. That's more than enough for me."

Seiya regarded her for a while, a look of pure disbelief on his face. Puzzled, he asked as if he was a little offended by her lack of explanation, "Why? He must have told you something. He must have lied, otherwise… I just don't get it, Kaoru."

"Kenshin never lied to me. I told him I didn't care about his past." She replied tossing Kenshin a candid smile. He thanked her silently with one of his own; remembering how much meaning that acceptance had had to him.

"How could you not care? It was his past that almost got you killed. How could you not care about the past of a man who killed his own wife? Do you know about her? Or don't you care about her either?" Seiya asked skeptically.

Kenshin's head jerked up and he glared at Seiya, feeling the urge to knock him down and would have if only Kaoru wasn't standing between them.

"Enough of this Seiya. You have no right to say those things; you don't know Kenshin! And besides everything you think you know about him and his past I know better. Everything." Kaoru exclaimed firmly. Her face took on a serious expression.

"Very well then." Seiya nodded briskly. His voice rough, he added, "but can you tell me just one more thing? If you don't care about his past if you're willing to accept him knowing what you know, why can't you do the same for your father? Why can't you forgive him and accept who he was?"

"That's totally different! My father…he was…" Kaoru stammered.

"A killer just like him." Seiya stated pointing at Kenshin. "There's no difference except the one in your head and I would like to know which is. Because that's the only way I can understand how you could open the doors of your heart to this man and yet not find in the same heart the will to forgive your own father. You tell me not to judge him when you do exactly the same to us, to both me and your father." Seiya uttered every word louder and angrier than the previous one.

"This is not about you." Kaoru replied, bringing her hands to her head in frustration.

Seiya shook his head, sheathing his sword he turned to leave not before saying, "If it's about your father then it's about me and if you're still angry with him then you must be angry with me as well."

Kaoru stood there for a moment, looking at his retreating figure trying to digest what he had said to her to find any truth in those words. She had to admit he was right on the fact that she was still angry with her father. She needed closure on that matter, maybe that was her chance. Kenshin's words drew her off her inner reflection.

"Kaoru-dono? Are you alright?" He asked concerned for her lack of movement.

She peered at him and blinked a few times. "Me?! What are you talking about? Look at you! You're bleeding!" She was at his side in two shakes, carefully examining his shoulder. "Oh Kenshin! I'm so sorry for what happen! Stupid Seiya!"

Kenshin couldn't help but laugh at her outburst against the other man. It brought a silly smile to his face.

"Do you want me to call Megumi?" Kaoru asked a little exasperated and confused with the happy face he held.

"Sessha doesn't think it's necessary it's only a scratch." But seeing the deep frown on her face he added, "Maybe you can help sessha to bandage it."

"Of course!" more careful than usual she motioned to help him walk, supporting his good arm around her shoulder. Kenshin held back a grin, considering all the wounds he had suffered after his arrival at the dojo this was nothing, nor even the scratch he had said it was. But he couldn't help the warm feeling that wrapped his heart because of Kaoru's extra careful towards him. She was probably feeling guilt, though and if that could ease her than he would indulge her, besides he was enjoying it immensely.

After properly helping him sitting, Kaoru went to fetch the first aid box but she almost dropped it when she came back and saw that he was trying to take off his gi all by himself. "Kenshin! Wait; let me help you. Mou! You're still bleeding!"

"Here." She said gently holding his injured arm and freeing it from the gi's sleeve. "Just a second so I can clean it up."

But Kenshin was past from hearing her or caring for the wound on his shoulder. She was kneeling in front him. So very close. His arm supported on her lap. So soft. He was breathing in her scent; the strong smell of jasmine making him dizzy. So pleasant.

He was so lost at that moment he didn't even notice the sigh of contentment he let out. His closed eyes slid open and his breath caught in his throat. She must have got out of her bath in a hurry; she was visibly still wet, making the yukata clung to her showing all the curves of her body. Kenshin swallowed hard. Her hair was down and damp, casually enveloping her shoulders. He felt her moving away and the sudden unpleasant lost of her warmth. But she was back after a brief moment with some bandages. She slightly bent towards him to wrap them over his shoulder, making sure to put the right amount of pressure as she cover it so it'd stop bleeding. "Is this all right?" She asked softly. He nod, her warm body slightly pressed to his making difficult to voice an entire phrase. He sighed again, she was so close to his grasp, that all he had to do was to reach out for her. Could he?

Kaoru heard him sighing and thought she was doing something wrong but when she peered down at him and saw his contented face, his half closed eyes, a half-hearted smile curved her lips. 'He's so relaxed. It doesn't even seem that he got hurt.' Unconsciously she reached out a hand to touch his cheek. When she felt him stiffening, she quickly pulled it back ashamed of her boldness and impropriety.

When Kenshin felt her backing off he swiftly grabbed her hand, causing her to gasp in surprise. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to…" she hurried to explain but he interrupted her.

"It's okay. I don't mind…" Kenshin breathed out.

"Hey! What are the two of you doing here?" came a questioning voice from outside.

Kaoru pulled out her hand completely. Surprised, they both looked hurriedly at the spike-haired man leaned against the doorframe, an eyebrow raise at them.

"Sano!" Kaoru called out.

"Am I interrupting something?" he asked teasingly.

"No!" Kaoru hastened to answer, blushing slightly. "I was just helping Kenshin with his injury."

"Dressed like that?" Sano asked, a bright smirk on his lips, he leered at her from top to toe.

Kenshin smacked his friend mentally. Kaoru, on the other hand, not quiet understanding what he meant, brows draw together; she eyed herself. Realization hitting her, she yelped and blushed furiously bringing her arms to cover her chest. "Mou!" She shouted, running towards her bedroom.

Kenshin turned a stern glare on the tall man.

"What?! I'm not blind!" he replied matter of fact. "Anyway, what was she talking about? What injury?" he asked and looking at Kenshin's shoulder he added, "Who?"

"Seiya." Kenshin replied quietly.

"Wow! The two of you are fighting already?! It means there's still hope for you." Sano said with a mocking smile on his lips. "Did he get to kick your ass?"

Looking towards the door Kaoru had just passed through, Kenshin recalled the way she took care of his wound. A genuine smile curved up his lips at her memory and he simply replied, "Not really. I quite enjoyed it"

~~~~~~~~~~ TBC

Thanks to everyone who reviewed and e-mailed me!! I really appreciate all you comments! The fact that people are still reading and enjoying my story makes me very happy!!

Hope I've answered some of the questions you guys made. But just to make it clear, when Seiya was talking about Kaoru's *death* he was making a reference to what happened during Revenge arc.

Especial thanks to Kelly, Hoshiko and Isis13 for beta reading this chapter.

So did you like this chapter? Let me know. Review.