Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ When Push Comes To Shove ❯ Denature ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I respect intellectual property rights. Truly I do. But I do love RK and I am Asian, after all. Asians have quite a reputation of… Ngerk! What the heck was I saying? RK isn't mine. There. I write just to blow steam, borrowing Watsuki-sama's work for a few crazy pages.

Note: I'm back! ^.^ I'm much more scatterbrained than usual right now so I'll just shut up before I hurt myself. On with the circus…..

Oh yeah. Be kind to animals.

Chapter 6

Denature

An epic struggle has just reached its conclusion. Sano had finally managed to escape from the clutches of Enishi, who had grimly kept his struggling form in place. Being hidden some distance from the dialogue, Enishi had to rely on what the other heard. Of course, the moment he realized that Kenshin was not reading from the copy of the proposal, Sano at once bolted to squeeze the life out of the stubborn wanderer. At least he tried to. Enishi held him under a death grip and continued to relay the conversation of the other two professionally. When Kaoru huffed off, the so-called psychotic released his prisoner.

"You idiot!!!" Sano made sure his battle cry was audible to the rest of the city's population as he charged his friend. "What the hell did you do to scare her off?" he demanded.

"Weren't you listening to me?" muttered Enishi.

Sano grabbed Kenshin by the back of his gi and shook him viscously.

"Why didn't you follow the plan, you moron?!"

Kenshin stared back at him, eyes unseeing. They had an unfocused quality about them, as if they were frozen in disbelief. It was unlike his expressionless face when they thought Kaoru died but this, too, disconcerted him. Unnerved, he loosened his hold on the rejected fellow.

"Kaoru-dono…" Kenshin mouthed indistinctly. "She refused. She doubts me. She hates me."

"Idiot!" Sano screeched. "She's always like that when she's mad. Well, get up and try again! You want us all to die tomorrow?"

"Life is no longer worth…"

"He's lost it!" Sano dropped Kenshin like a sack. Shaking his head ruefully, he turned to Enishi. "Well?" he said in a very businesslike manner. "Due to mental health related problems of my client, can we please call a temporary restraining order on you rampage of madness?"

Enishi shrugged coolly. "You still have 20 hours or so. The Battousai is resourceful."

"You expect Kenshin to figure something out??! In case you haven't noticed, he's dense clueless and cowardly when it comes to these things."

The other shrugged again. "Resort to drastic measures. Like have some high-ranking official order him around."

Sano growled at the lame "joke", an allusion to Kenshin's seemingly fateful engagement to Tomoe when Katsura Kogoru suggested they hide in the suburbs as a couple. "Are you completely out of your mind?!?!" he demanded.

Enishi just rolled his eyes at him and left at an infuriatingly nonchalant pace. "Guilty as charged then."

So, Sano was left to clean up. Practically bristling in annoyance, he sighed and flopped down on the sand beside the pool of melted flesh and shredded self-esteem.

"All right, Kenshin," he grumbled. "We'll settle this. Let's dice up the situation and we'll see where you went wrong. First question. Why didn't you follow the plan?"

"Sano. It is futile."

"You just blew up a whole month's planning, you ungrateful sonofa- I am not accepting this futile shit!"

"It's useless. The hands of Kami-sama have entered the play…"

"You know, you're starting to sound like Aoshi. Are you telling me your reversion to foot-in-the-mouth mode was divine intervention?"

"Sessha is simply not worthy of her."

"If you don't pull this off, you bastard, I'll make sure you won't be of any use!"

"Sessha wa…." Kenshin was staring blankly past Sanosuke's shoulder. "Kaoru-dono is correct. Sessha wa is simply not worthy of her. .. Kaoru-dono is… Kaoru-do-KAORU-DONO!"

Kenshin's transition from his abysmal melancholic geezer to a lovesick puppy was astounding. His downcast eyes became wide and a little teary. His cheeks were flushed and the silly smile plastered on his face was simply adorable.

"You came back!" he sobbed. "Kaoru-dono."

Being drunk with mixed emotions and propelled by unsteady feet treading on shifting sand, Kenshin ended up with his face splat on the ground.

"Kaoru-dono-"

She crisply cut him off. "I forgot you're supposed to take me home," she said. "Take me home, now. Please."

"H-hai de gozaru…" He sighed sadly. You could almost hear as his heart fell down again and settled at the pit of his stomach.

So this was the end of the romance that never was. Two spirits, transcending age, crossed paths in their fateful journeys. Two threads were weaved together by the Kami, so perfect with each other, so complementary. It was tied, the lasso getting tinier and tinier as the strings clasped each other into a tight knot. And then, it was viscously, so viscously, tugged apart to suit the whims of the heaven's experiments. The connection snapped, just because of a little fraying on a near-infinitesimal part of a fiber, because of deep fear, the guilt, that has forever hampered the freedom of a lost soul yearning for redemption. Has she forever taken offense at his tactlessness? Has she lost hope on his ever letting go of his pain and embracing the panacea? He, has he truly denounced the demands of his heart? Has he really taken offense on her obstreperous defiance? Huh? HUH?!……………. To think that these two will never osculate… Such a tale from the muse of tragedy! And so, with a heavy heart, I end this narra-

"Hey, wait a minute!" yelled a voice angrily (also interrupting my wonderful-- :sniff: Never mind ). The voice stopped them in their tracks, enabling neither of them to take a single step.

Both turned to look him as if he had just fallen out of a hole in the sky.

"Where do you think are you going?" demanded Sano. "And you, Jou-chan, what's the idea of playing hard-to-get. Quit it! That dork face will only get intimidated, not inspired. "

Sano blinked at Kaoru. Her eyes were smoldering with something not so unfamiliar.

"Well if it isn't the rooster-head himself!" she said. "Sagara Sanosuke-san has finally graced us with his presence." She turned and started walking away. "It's amazing how right I was," she added quietly.

"Hey, tanuki!" Sano trotted after her, leaving the pillar-like wanderer in place. "Isn't this going a little too far? You've played your game, now stop!"

Kaoru stopped abruptly, cocking her head to him. "You got to work on your baka deshi, rooster-head. He messed up his lessons big time."

Sano grabbed her by the arm angrily before she could move again. "How selfish can you get, tanuki?" he growled. "Quit being so childish and immature!"

Kaoru did not venture to answer. She did not need to anyway.

"Sano."

The solitary word spoke volumes: shut up. Leave her alone. My fault. I was the fool.

The street fighter glared at them alternately in disgust.

"Chikusho."

And said no more.

Silence. That irksome silence. It hung overhead like some venomous vapor, sowing languor to the senses. Sano was sick of it, more so after being enclosed in a chamber filled with its repulsive gas for some stifling few minutes that felt like forever. And so, the ex-gangster promptly stepped out of the carriage as soon as it stopped at the dojo gates. He gulped the cool night air with relish. Sighing, he glanced at his less enthusiastic companions.

"Home sweet home," he muttered, rapping at the gates. "Oi, Yahiko!"

While waiting for the kid to come, Sano turned to the two again, the glare still painted on his face.

"All right, you two," he said. "Whatever it is in you minds, spill it already and clear the air."

Nobody spoke.

"Jou-chan?"

Kaoru still said nothing.

"Kenshin?"

"I have nothing to say and neither does the lady," came the reply.

Sano let loose a string of profanities under his breath. He gulped some air and prepared to give them a big chunk of his mind. Before he could start, however, the gate swung open.

"Okaerinasai, minna!" came the boy's uncannily cheerful greeting. His smile faded into a curious half-frown when

his eyes alighted on the glum faces before him. "Oi, what's up?"

"Don't ask," grumbled Sano, shoving past him.

"Kenshin?"

"Not now, please," he said distractedly.

"Kaoru?"

"I'm sleepy and tired," she announced, utterly ignoring her student. "I think I'll go to bed now."

"Hey, wait a minute, busu-sama!" protested the peeved Yahiko. "Where's the grub?"

"Find it yourself."

And with one flex of her strong arm, Kaoru-shihondai sent Yahiko-chan into the dojo to find some nourishment for his growing body. Of course, that was assuming that dry dust was a part of a pubescent boy's diet.

"Good night, Yahiko," she said. She then bowed formally towards Kenshin. "Thank you for dinner. Good night, Himura-san."

"My pleasure, Kaoru-dono, always," replied Kenshin gravely, bowing back. "Oyasumi nasai."

Sano spat out his fishbone in disgust. He stepped forward and was about to stop Kaoru. Kenshin, however, stopped him with one stern gesture of his slightly trembling arm. The former growled in annoyance but consented nonetheless.

"Maybe sleep can knock some sense into your heads."

Meanwhile, Yahiko has unpeeled himself from the earth, spitting rudely, trying to remove the soil that entered his mouth.

"What the heck is wrong with dogface?" he growled, rubbing his head. He turned to Kenshin.. "And what's with all those formal stuff?"

"And what, may I ask, are you planning to do now?" demanded Sano of Kenshin, taking no heed of Yahiko.

"Hey!" repeated Yahiko. "Am I invisible or something? Answer me!"

"Sano…" Kenshin pleaded. "I'm tired. Please…"

"Hey-!"

"Yahiko, shut up," ordered Sano. "You, Kenshin, are coming with me."

"Look, rooster head-"

"Sano," said Kenshin wearily. " It's late."

"Kenshin! Quit interrup-"

"Enishi's gonna meet us at Akagi's. We gotta ask for some extension or help or whatever. Come on."

"Enishi?" Yahiko stared at them both. "What's-"

"Just a bad dream de gozaru," answered the rurouni.

"Nani?!" Yahiko shook his head. "Anyway-"

"Let's go, Kenshin," growled Sano, losing his patience.

"Will you guys listen?!" exploded Yahiko. "Megumi-"

Sano swiftly turned on the poor boy, eyes wild in a mixture of panic and irritation.

"You better be sure none of this leaks out to Megitsune," he threatened. "If I lose my bet with her, I swear I'll-!"

"That's right, Sano," said Kenshin. "You're not supposed to enter a bar for a month. And please, I want to rest."

"Yeah!" agreed Yahiko. "A night out with busu-sama's gotta tire even a superman."

At the mention of her, Kenshin's tiny restrain snapped and again he lapsed into his half-dazed state.

"Anyway, take me along," Yahiko continued. "It's not fair. I want food!"

"Shu-" Sano started but stopped and considered Yahiko's proposal. "That's- that's a good idea, brat. Excellent idea. But no. Both of you. You kid, stay here. Sniff out some food in the kitchen or whatever. And keep the girl here-"

"Duh. As if she'd go out at this time of the night."

"Shut up. And you-" He turned to Kenshin. He grasped him by the scruff and dragged him to the gates. "You, you spineless pipsqueak, are coming with me!"

Yahiko couldn't take it anymore.

"Dammit!" he exploded. "Quit treating me like a kid and tell me what the hell is going on!!"

The gates creaked shut.

"GrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRROARRRRRRR!!!"

Yahiko huffed and puffed in rage for a few seconds of elevated body temperature and crimson face. Then suddenly, he dropped his I-want-blood stance and chuckled evilly.

"He he he," he said. "So that means I don't have to share the imported cakes Tae gave us."

And an ominous laughter filled the night, frightening strays out of their scraggly furs and chilling the bones of those blanketed by the embrace of the cold earth.

Darkness again. The darkness of night concealed indiscriminately. It shrouded the secret deeds of men, even deeds whose general knowledge can cause a scandalous clamor. The dark served as a substrate for plots, a haven for illegal transactions, a nest for growing conspiracies. Two creatures of the darkness to conferred on their plans.

"You have come," spoke a voice, seemingly from out of nowhere.

"Yes, yes," said the other. "What is it this time, schemer?"

The soft voice snickered. "You called me schemer. No schemer reveals his secrets…"

Objects fell, clanging and banging loudly. The thud of a body flung against wood was heard and after a moment's struggle, steady panting.

"Don't play games with me," hissed the second voice, deathly in its stoicism. "Interfere with my plans in any way and I shall personally deliver your hacked up head to your master's door step."

Another set of crashes ensued as the body slipped from the iron grip.

"I-I shall put my own plans to work, you weirdo!" gasped the other, still breathless. "I shall get what I want. You shall not master over me, freak!"

Footsteps. Footsteps leading away.

"Even so," calmly replied the other. "Any mishaps and I shall hold you responsible."

The figure glided away, his profile getting more and more visible as he reached places where moonlight has managed to seep through. He was tall, huge and topped with a spiky crown. He walked at a moderate pace. Not too fast. Not too slow. His very body emitted patience. Or perhaps it was indifference, an indifference to the flow of time.

Who is this person? Is he a Yakuza? A ninja? A renegade samurai?

A samurai perhaps for the tip of the saya protruded from underneath the voluminous folds of that robe that hid his frame's nature.

His hairstyle is quite familiar, like that of Zanza's. Zanza, the gangster, who fought for cash and for sport. What then? Has the street fighter abandoned the faithful Zanbatou? Has he exchanged the power of the humongous horse cutter for the versatility of a plain katana? It was reported that he has broken his namesake, twice in fact, but it was also said that he now left the work to his fists and certainly carried no blade.

Meanwhile, our person has finally left that concealed side street. The moon god could finally behold him as he efficiently toiled towards his destination, considerate to the slumbering town in his noiselessness.

Now we are certain that the man is indeed not Zanza. Sure enough, his conspicuous hair gleamed under the scanty light and it was revealed to be of a curious shade of white. Also, the "aku" was missing from his back. That familiar banner of his shirt was equivalent to a knight's standard.

Who, indeed, we may guess. But what conspiracy has just hatched before our very eyes? Alas, for we have but seen the tail end of it all. Woe to the would-be victims! Woe to us! For though we could have known whatever evil will come to pass, we have no way of bringing warning to those unfortunate souls.

And so we wait.

JLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJ

So now Sano and Kenshin leaves Kaoru with Yahiko at home.

Will Enishi miss their rendezvous and instead go off to murder people?

Will he consider and give them extension?

Will Kenshin try again?

Will Kaoru forgive him?

Will Sano lose his bet with Megumi?

Will Yahiko EVER find out what's going on?

And who is this schemer that entered the picture?

Find out!

JLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJ

Note: Oopsie. Did I just lapse into quasi-Hawthorne style there? Sorry. ^^ I remember I just finished reading The House of Seven Gables when I wrote this part a few weeks ago. Ngerk…. Anyway, patience is a virtue. =) More sensible stuff next time. Wait… I don't think the word sensible will ever be suitable to this thing… Yare, yare. Did you notice that on top being inconsistent with tenses I'm also fond of split infinitives and rambunctious digression? >.< Right. I said I'd shut up already. Someday…. I'd improve enough to laugh at this. I hope.

Reactions, violent or otherwise, are always welcomed and looked forward to. TY