Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ Ice On Ice ❯ Together With a Coat ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: Chapter 4 goes up. This is Chapter 5. I'm skipping episode 9 to 12 and going straight into the end of episode 12.
 
Disclaimers: I do not own both the animes. However, I do own the pairing, I hope.
 
Chapter 5: Together With a Coat
 
***************************************************************** *************************

The same time Allen and Lenalee collapsed and Miranda deactivated her Innocence, both Kanda and Ami were finishing up on their mission.
 
“Take a breather.” Ami told her partner, raising an icicle shield to cover them.
 
“I still can…” Kanda snorted, despite his exhaustion.
 
“Stubborn Peacock. We definitely have to work on your stamina after this.” Ami muttered, before jumping out of the safeguard. Raising her Caduceus, she unleashed her Ice Bolt attack at the last Akuma that was pounding her shield with its bullets.
 
However, after releasing her attack, Ami was too tired to recall her Innocence. Just as her shield crumbled back to the ground, Kanda recovered enough to catch her before she was buried within her barrier of ice.
 
“Nicely done.” The swordsman let out a rare smile at her.
 
Ami returned his smile.
 
Then, she frowned, “Allen…”
 
Kanda raised an eyebrow, “The bean sprout's with Koumi's sister, Nymph. They should be fine.”
 
“No.” Ami protested. “I can sense both Allen's and Lenalee's auras fading quickly. And if I'm not wrong, they've met up with one of them, since that guy has appeared.”
 
Getting out of Kanda's hold, she added, “Get the Innocence back to headquarters. I'm heading over to check.”
 
Kanda was about to argue when a look from her shut his mouth.
 
“Besides Peacock,” Ami's twinkled in amusement. “We still have plenty of time to play when I get back,” and quickly bolted before he grabbed her
 
Kanda smirked, the playful girl he fell in love with was still there alright. But having a mature and sexy Ami telling him that she would allow him to fulfill his wildest sexual fantasies on her was just kinky as hell.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“This is pretty bad.” Koumi remarked in a hospital, just as Allen peered open his eyes. “Lavi, keep watch and make sure not to let anyone in.”
 
“Gotcha!” Lavi replied.
 
“Oh?” Koumi blinked when he realized Allen was awake. “Ah, you've awakened.”
 
“Koumi?” Allen echoed, still shocked at the mechanical drill he had attached to his hand. “Where is this place?”
 
“This place?” Koumi echoed. “It's a hospital. A facility entrusted to us by someone connected to the Order.”
 
“But why are you here, Koumi?” Allen asked.
 
“Of course, but to fix you up Allen!” Koumi beamed.
 
“You serious?” Allen sweatdropped.
 
“You two suffered some pretty serious injuries, plus we wouldn't have been able to move you back to headquarters.” Koumi noted.
 
“What about Lenalee?” Allen asked.
 
“She suffered nerve damage.” Ami replied at his bedside. “It doesn't look like she'll wake up anytime soon.”
 
“Didn't you two use the healing stones I gave you?” she reprimanded.
 
“Hrm?” Allen blinked. “We forgot?”
 
Ami sighed, “Idiotic junior.”
 
“But dun worry.” Lavi replied. “My gramps is takin' a look at `er, so she'll be back to normal in no time.”
 
“The name is Lavi.” He added, noting Allen's look. “Nice t' meet ya.”
 
“Nice to meet you…” Allen returned the greeting.
 
“Oh, that's right…” Lavi thought of something. “You had a visitor earlier. They left ya a letter. Lessee… Miranda Lotto…”
 
“May I see that?” Allen asked, getting out of bed.
 
”What'rya doin', standing up all of a sudden like this?” Lavi asked after Allen crashed to the floor.
 
“Allen?” Koumi blinked.
 
“Are there any scissors? Scissors?” Allen asked.
 
“I have a drill…” Koumi offered.
 
“Koumi…” Ami glared, to which Koumi let out a nervous laugh.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
Miranda's letter read as follows:
 
Allen, Lenalee, I apologize for not being able to be with you till you both awaken.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“I hear Miranda's moving' away.” One of the children remarked.
 
“Seriously?” another asked. “They're not chasin' her out?”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Ever since the day I gained control over the clock's Innocence, the town's phenomenon went away. The townspeople haven't a clue that they experienced the 28th October 34 times in total. Now that I think about it, I have a feeling the phenomenon occurred because the Innocence wanted to test me, I wonder if this manner of thinking comes off strange to you?

********************************************************* *********************************

“Next time you cheat on me, I'll never forgive you!” the wife of the couple who lived next to Miranda's unit scolded her husband as they walked up the stairs.
 
“I know…” the husband replied. “The only one I truly love is you.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Because the Innocence was silent until that moment when I protected you, Allen.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“I appreciate you help.” Miranda told the apartment manager.
 
“Take care now.” the manager told her.
 
“Oh, that's right.” Miranda thought of something.

******************************************************* ***********************************

However, thanks to it, I have a feeling I've finally found the place where I belong.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Take this.” She handled an envelope to the manager. “Please send the bill for replacing the ruined wallpaper here.”
 
“Where is this?” the manager asked.
 
“My new job.” Miranda replied as she walked out.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Let us meet again. Next time, as Exorcists.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back with Road…
 
“Stop it rero, M'stress Road!” Rero whined.
 
“No way! It's too fun!” Road replied as she spun around with the umbrella in her hand.
 
“This isn't the time to be playing around doing things like this, rero!” Rero complained. “Rero, if the Earl finds out you have been messing around on your own volition, you're gonna feel his wrath, rero!”
 
“Don't worry.” Road assured the umbrella after releasing it. “He won't get mad. But, man, was that fun… fighting with him.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back in the town…
 
“Isn't this a nice town?” the Earl of Millennium remarked as he appeared in a back alley. “Affluent and peaceful? Everyone gets along and is happy. It'll be a cinch to get some Akuma out of this place.”
 
In a building, a woman was weeping over a grave, “Darling…”
 
“Previously happy humans are best pushed over when in a moment of sadness.” The Earl of Millennium commented as he appeared behind the widow.
 
“Hi, good evening.” He greeted her. “There's nothing to cry about anymore. I am able to return your husband from that God you so detest. Well, let us bring back the soul of your husband from the other world. Try calling out to your husband from your heart.
 
“Darling…” the woman approached the skeletal Akuma. “Darling!”
 
“You…” the newly-formed Akuma hissed.
 
“Is that you, darling?” the widow asked.
 
“What have you…” the Akuma rebuked. “How dare you turn me into an Akuma?”
 
“Now, this is an order.” The Earl of Millennium told his newest puppet. “Kill your wife and wear her.”
 
A scream later, the Akuma put on his wife's guise.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Huh?” Allen sat up on his bed.
 
“You've finally awakened.” Koumi told him. “How do you feel?”
 
“Not great, not bad…” Allen replied. “How's Lenalee? Is she still being treated?”
 
“Yeah.” Koumi replied. “But there's no reason to worry.”
 
“Just out of curiosity, what kind of treatment is she receiving? “Allen asked.
 
“It's something called `acupuncture'.” Ami replied. “It's a needle treatment passed down from ancient China.”
 
“Is that so…?” Allen sweatdropped.
 
“Are you afraid of being treated?” Koumi asked.
 
“No…” Allen replied. “Is it okay if I ask you something?”
 
“Sure.” Koumi replied.
 
“Koumi, why did you hurry so to make a special trip down here, leaving the Order behind? It wasn't for my or Lenalee's sake, was it? What is Noah's family?”
 
“Noah huh?” Ami remarked. “I see you've met up with one of them.”
 
“He came `ere to ask us about it.” Lavi replied.
 
“Huh?” Allen sweatdropped.
 
When did he come in? Koumi wondered.
 
“Noah is a name not mentioned outside of historical text, the name of a groundless family.” Lavi explained. “They often appear in the crossroads of history, but they're never recorded in the books. Those guys appear alongside an Earl. That's why he made a special trip. To ask the only guy in the world who knows of unrecorded history, Bookman…”
 
He was interrupted when his master kicked him in the face.
 
“Blabbermouth!” Bookman retorted. “How many warnings will it take for you to listen? Haven't I told you that Bookman is the only one who can talk about Bookman?”
 
What? When did he come in? Koumi wondered.
 
“Who cares about something' like that?” Lavi grinned. “I'm gonna be the next Bookman pretty soon after you, anyway.”
 
“Greenhorn!” Bookman reprimanded. “An inexperienced kid like you has a long way to go, you fool!”
 
“You old panda!” Lavi sweatdropped, earning him a punch on the head from his master. “Ouch!”
 
Ami giggled at Allen's shocked expression, “Don't worry, that's normal for these two.”
 
“Allen Walker…” Bookman turned to the boy. “The child the prophecies called the `Destroyer of Time'.”
 
“Yes?” Allen blinked.
 
“We are colleagues collectively called Bookmen.” Bookman told him.
 
“Bookmen?” Allen echoed.
 
“Out job is to investigate things that don't show up in history, so called `unrecorded history', and record them.” Lavi added. “It's a tough job, as you might imagine…”
 
“Ouch!” he complained, after getting punched in head by his master again.
 
“Keep your trap shut!” Bookman scolded.
 
“Now, we're becoming Exorcists with a duty.” Bookman continued.
 
“I do not have a name.” he shook Allen's hand. “Call me Bookman.”
 
“All right.” Allen noted.
 
“This is strange.” Bookman commented as he removed Allen's eye bandage. “The left eye of yours has started to heal, albeit slightly, by itself. I don't believe my needles are necessary here.”
 
“Is that so?” Allen asked.
 
“I see you're cursed.” Bookman remarked, placing a new bandage over the eye.
 
“Yes…” Allen replied. “It is a wound I received from my father, whom I turned into an Akuma.”
 
“At any rate, take it easy for now.” Bookman advised. “Until Miss Lena awakens, there is nothing that can be done. There's no need to hurry.”
 
“How'd it go?” Lavi asked.
 
“Um, he said that I didn't need any kind of special treatment.” Allen replied.
 
“Well, for a change in pace, let's take a walk.” Lavi suggested.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“It looks like some sorta festival is going on.” Lavi remarked as the three Exorcists entered the town square.
 
“Yeah.” Allen agreed.
 
“How old are ya?” Lavi asked.
 
“About 15...” Allen replied.
 
“15 years, 8 months and 15 days.” Ami added.
 
“Wow Frostbite! You have his age pat down already!?” Lavi grinned at the ice wielder.
 
Turning to Allen, he beamed, “Looks like I'm your big bro. I'm 18. 15 eh? You look older because of that white hair of yours.”
 
“White hair…” Allen rolled his eyes.
 
“Oh yeah, some people call me `Junior', but Lavi is fine.” Lavi added.
 
“That's only because you don't act your age.” Ami remarked.
 
“That hurt Frostbite.” Lavi winced.
 
Turning to Allen, he asked, “It is okay if I call you `bean sprout', Allen?”
 
At Allen's frozen expression, he explained, “Cause Yuu calls you that too.”
 
“Yuu?” Allen blinked. “Kanda right?”
 
“Huh? You know?” Lavi was surprised.
 
“Yeah.” Allen replied. “Ami-sempai called him that on our first mission together.”
 
“Oh yeah.” Lavi slapped his forehead. “I forgot those two are together.”
 
Turning to Allen, he commented, “Next time, try callin' him that. I betcha his eyes'll pop out right outta his head! Well, you don't know when that next time'll be, anyway. I predict that the mission after this'll be a pretty huge fight.”
 
“How come you think so?” Allen asked.
 
“The Earl has begun to move seriously.” Lavi replied. “That's what the appearance of the Noah's family mean.”
 
Allen blinked, recalling Road's parting words. Let's play again soon, Allen. Next time, in Master Millennium's scenario
 
“Well, that's the way it is, so there's no sense in getting worked up over it.” Lavi added.
 
“I became an Exorcist in order to destroy Akuma.” Allen revealed. “Not to kill humans.”
 
“Hey, what's wrong?” Lavi asked. “C'mon bean sprout.”
 
“My name is Allen!” Allen steamed.
 
Then, he added, “I'm going for a walk, so go ahead back ahead of me.”
 
“Jeez…” Lavi sighed. “Guess he's still a brat…”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

After parting company with the two older Exorcist s, Allen strolled down the fair.
 
What in the world… he wondered. What is Noah's family exactly? Are they truly humans?
 
He then recalled his encounter with Road.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Warm aren't I?” Road asked, hugging him. “This is the feeling humans touch one another, isn't it?
 
***************************************************************** *************************

What is it? Allen wondered as a crowd of costumed townsfolk walked past him. What am I… what am I so afraid of? Am I afraid in the middle of this many people? I can't use my left eye now. I can't tell who's human or who is an Akuma…
 
He was snapped out of his musings when a bouquet of flowers was thrust in front of him.
 
“Want a flower?” the flower girl asked. “They smell really nice! Please, buy one!”
 
“Mister Exorcist.” The girl then turned into an Akuma, pointing a gun in his face.
 
“Die, Exorcist ” She declared, firing the gun.
 
“That was dangerous.” Lavi remarked, forcing the Akuma to jump up onto a roof. “What are you doing?”
 
“Lavi…” Allen blinked.
 
“It's dangerous being in the middle of the road where there's so many people.” Lavi reprimanded.
 
“Talk later. We have a fight on our hands.” Ami hissed a warning, jumping aside to avoid the huge arm of the Akuma, while Lavi pushed Allen aside.
 
“Another one?” Lavi inquired.
 
“It's a monster!” one of the townspeople exclaimed.
 
“Size-shifting Hammer!” Lavi chanted. “Grow, grow, grow!”
 
“It got huge!” Allen gasped when Lavi's weapon expanded into a massive size.
 
“Duck your head!” Lavi advised.
 
Using his over-sized hammer, he knocked away the dark matter ball that was thrown at them before striking the Akuma with the said weapon.
 
It even destroyed the building. Allen gaped in awe.
 
“Jeez… Akuma, it's dangerous doing this in the middle of the town.” Lavi tsked, withdrawing his weapon. “C'mon, now it's our chance to get outta here. If we stay here, we'll have to keep on fighting.”
 
“Yeah…” Allen nodded.
 
“Grab on here.” Lavi remarked, placing his hammer head-first on the ground.
 
“All right.” Allen replied, holding onto the handle. Ami sighed and followed suit.
 
“Size-shifting Hammer!” Lavi instructed. “Extend!”
 
“Who are they?” a villager asked, watching as the three Exorcist s took off into the sunset
 
“The police! Call the police!” another instructed.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back in the hospital…
 
“And these are all the traces I have recorded of Noah's family.” Bookman reported, showing Koumi his records.
 
“No, it was a huge help, Bookman.” Koumi replied. “Sorry for making you have to talk so quickly and for so long.”
 
“Do not worry.” Bookman waved his concern aside. “This is what I do. I can guess how you are feeling, Supervisor. In the midst of the trouble with Akuma, the appearance of such beings is making your heart ache.”
 
“Who, me?” Koumi replied. “The ones who truly have it tough are the Exorcist s. I haven't done anything but throw you all further into the Earl's darkness.”
 
“It is hard for everyone.” Bookman added. “The only thing equal in war is hardship.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

After escaping into the forest…
 
“Yo, you okay, bean sprout?” Lavi asked.
 
“My name is Allen!” Allen protested. “That thing is truly incredible… you can even fly with it.”
 
“Yep, yep, it stretches at my convenience.” Lavi agreed.
 
“Isn't it heavy?” Allen asked. “It gets pretty huge, so…”
 
“Not at all.” Lavi replied. “It always feels the same weight to me. At any rate, what's wrong with you?”
 
At Allen's blink, he explained, “Since those guys turned into Akuma, you should have prepared to fight. You'll die.”
 
“Sorry…” Allen sighed.
 
“You can't distinguish Akuma because you can't use it now, right?” Lavi asked. “Until it heals, when you look at people, you have to see them as Akuma.”
 
“But if you think like that, it's not like all people are Akuma!” Allen protested.
 
“You say that, but the truth is, you're afraid of humans now, aren't you?” Lavi asked. “Without being able to use your eye to distinguish Akuma, you aren't able to tell who is a human and who isn't.”
 
“That may be so…” Allen confessed.
 
“If you can distrust anyone, you can distrust everyone.” Lavi advised. “It's a mystery who is an Akuma and who isn't. We have no choice but to fight with that mindset.”
 
“Lavi, what do you do?” Allen asked.
 
“I don't trust anyone, and think of all humans are Akuma.” Lavi replied. “Exorcists are at a huge disadvantage. Everyone else is different from you, without that handy eye. Akuma slip in unnoticed into the midst of humans. We can't tell by looking who's an Akuma and who's human. I, as well as the other Exorcists, think of humans as allies of the Earl.”
 
“But… but…” Allen objected. “Killing humans at random…”
 
“That's why I'm wearing this, this coat.” Lavi replied. “In order to closen myself to the Akuma.”
 
“Allen,” Ami told her junior. “Do you remember that Master said the same thing?”
 
Allen gasped and nodded.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
Flashback
 
General Cross was walking down a street, with his two disciples.
 
“There he is.” A female gashed.
 
“Isn't he wonderful?” another beamed.
 
“He stands out wherever he goes.” Another agreed.
 
“Master, don't you stand out too much when you wear that coat around?” the young Allen asked.
 
“Foolish disciple…” General Cross scolded. “I'm different from you are, moron.
 
As the three walked past a river, several Akuma suddenly burst out of the water.
 
“See, because you're standing out so much by wearing that coat, we're surrounded…” Allen complained.
 
“This is good.” General Cross smiled as he stepped forward.
 
Allen gasped as the Akumas fired their guns just as Ami surrounded them both with a water bubble.
 
When everything was over, General Cross rebuked, “What good would it do to our end to hide from enemies that are unable to see? This coat is a target. If I do this, I am able to suspect all of those that closen themselves to me.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“You okay?” Lavi asked as the three Exorcist s walked further into forest.
 
“Lavi…” Allen started. “Lavi, aren't you afraid? Of always being the target of Akuma…”
 
“To be honest, I used to be afraid of humans.” Lavi grinned. “That someone I was friends with yesterday would become an Akuma today. And that's not all… those who show you kindness, those people of whom you'd think `what a nice guy', if they were Akuma, it would really be … a bad situation. But… you've gotta defeat the Akuma that attack you with all you've got.”
 
Allen frowned as he remembered what General Cross told him.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“In order to protect those that must be protected, you must resolve to make yourself a target for them. Can you bare the burden, Allen? General Cross asked.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“There they are.” The villagers remarked after they discovered the three Exorcist s.
 
“That child in black clothing!” a woman added.
 
“You bastards. Don't move!” the officer demanded, readying his gun.
 
“C'mere! We're taking you down to the station!” he added, approaching the trio.
 
“No, we're…” Allen protested.
 
“If you resist, I'll shoot!” the officer threatened.
 
“Stop it!” his partner remarked.
 
“What are…” he gasped as the squad leader turned into an Akuma.
 
Lavi leapt into action, smashing the Akuma's face in with his extended hammer.
 
“There's more!” the oldest of the three warned as the other two officers turned into Akumas as well.
 
The townspeople screamed as the Akumas fired their guns at the three Exorcists. Ami quickly formed an ice shield to protect them from the barrage of bullets.
 
“Not bad, Frostbite!” Lavi winked at the girl. “Looks like your training did some good.”
 
“Talk later, we've to finish this quick!” Ami remarked, straining to keep her shield up. “Anytime now, you two…”
 
“Size-shifting Hammer!” Lavi called his weapon. “Grow, grow, grow!”
 
With his hammer extended, he smashed through the two Akumas with the mallet.
 
Allen backed off, only to find another Akuma behind him. He lifted his Innocence to protect himself as the Akuma's bullets rained on him.
 
“What's wrong?” Lavi asked, smashing into the Akuma. “You're reacting too slow!”
“Sorry!” Allen apologized.
 
That's right, Master, Lavi, Ami-sempai, everyone who has become an Exorcist , in the midst of humans, think them as enemies and fights… in order to fight the Akuma hidden within, expose myself, make myself bait, in order to protect those who must be protected. Allen realized as the fight raged on.
 
“Whoa, thank you.” Lavi beamed as Allen rained his bullets on the Akumas before them.
 
I was truly a fool. Unable to understand the meaning of Master's words until now… Allen rebuked himself as he ran to face off with the rest of the Akumas.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Flashback
 
“I wonder if that fear exists in you, Allen.” General Cross had told him.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

By finally able to understand everyone's fear…at least my left eye can help relieve some of the fear and anxiety of those who are fighting as Exorcists… Allen realized, using his Cross Grave attack on the reminding Akumas which had been speared into place by Ami's ice spears.
 
“Finally, we're done.” Lavi told the two younger Exorcists.
 
A scream from a woman alerted them that they were not out of the woods yet.
 
“Help me!” she pleaded as an Akuma in a wolf's costume placed her on the ground. “Help me!”
 
Allen, Lavi leveled their weapons as Ami formed a flaming ice bow and mounted an ice arrow on the bow.
 
Before the two boys could fire their weapons, Ami released her ice arrow, neatly severing the Akuma's head off its neck.
 
“Thank you so much!” the woman wept, running towards Allen who was the nearest to her.
 
“Are you okay?” Allen asked.
 
The woman said nothing and pointed her gun at his forehead.
 
“You're too late…” Allen told her, firing his weapon pointblank in her face.
 
“Looks like you finally understood what Master meant.” Ami smiled, placing a hand on Allen's shoulder.
 
Allen returned her smile.
 
“Not bad.” Lavi praised, coming towards the senior-junior pair.
 
“Yeah…” Allen agreed.
 
Then, the bandage on his eye came off.
 
“Your eye's healed?” Lavi beamed.
 
“So it seems…” Allen replied.
 
“It's snow!” Lavi grinned as snow started to fall. “It's snow, Allen!”
 
I decided to continue walking this road… with this resolve… together with my coat… Allen promised as Lavi played around with Timcanpy.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

SailorStar9: This chapter is done. Read and review.