Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ Ice On Ice ❯ The Vampire of the High Castle ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: Chapter 10 goes up. This is Chapter 11. Read and review.
 
Disclaimers: I do not own both the animes. However, I do own the pairing, I hope.
 
Chapter 11: The Vampire of the High Castle
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“Is something the matter?” Arystar Krory asked.
 
“Someone enters the forest.” Eliade replied.
 
“No one has business in that forest.” Arystar noted, hugging her from behind.
 
“Then all's well.” Eliade told him. “I'm so worried that someone will come and bother us.”
 
“No one will come.” Arystar assured her.
 
“No, not ever.” Eliade agreed, letting out a gasp ad Arystar sucked her blood.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
Meanwhile, Allen and Ami dropped off at the station as Allen stretched his back after the long train ride.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Marshall Cross is missing isn't he?” Koumi inquired. “We can't get ahold of him, you see...”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Is he really going to be here, though?” Allen sighed.
 
“We won't know if we don't go in.” Ami pointed out.
 
“Um…” Allen called out to the lunchbox seller once the senior-junior pair entered the village.
 
“Oh, how unusual for someone to come to this town.” The lunchbox seller smiled at the visitors.
 
“Hello.” Allen greeted him. “My name is Allen Walker. And this girl with me is my senior, Ami Maris.”
 
“You! That!” the lunchbox seller gasped when he saw the Black Order's mark. “That crest!”
 
“Oh um, what about it?” Allen inquired.
 
He blinked when the lunchbox seller suddenly took off.
 
“You forgot your cart!” Allen called out.
 
“He's gone…” he sighed. “What's going on here? I'm so weak-willed.”
 
Then he blinked when the lunchbox seller returned with a horde of villagers.
 
“What?” Allen stammered as they surrounded the pair. “Um wait! Ah wait!”
 
“No!” he cried as the villagers carried them off.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“A vampire?” Allen echoed.
 
“Yes, that's right.” The village mayor replied.
 
“How scary…” Allen added.
 
“Ooh, excuse me.” The mayor apologized.
 
“Not at all.” Allen let out a weak smile as the elder backed off.
 
“My name is George. I'm this town's mayor.” George introduced himself. “That lunch cart is just my day job.”
 
“You see…” he added.
 
“Yes?” Allen blinked.
 
“There is in fact a vampire living near this village.” George told the two. “His name is Baron Krory. He never shows his face in daylight and there are constant terrifying screams emanating from his castle. It is said that no one who enters the castle ever comes out alive.”
 
“A vampire? In this day and age?” Allen inquired.
 
“I'm sorry.” He quickly apologized when the mayor glared at him. “Please continue.”
 
“Until recently, Krory would leave us alone as long as we stayed away from the castle.” George continued. “Krory lived in peace with us, the forest separating us. Until one night…”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

A scream was heard that night and the villagers went out to the forest to find out what was happening.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“The first victim was an old woman who lived in the village.” George narrated. “The cloaked figure sucked the woman's blood until her body was withered and dead.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“That's…” George gasped as the villagers slowly backed off. “Baron Krory!”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Since then. Krory has continued to feed on us.” George continued. “To date, nine of our people have become his prey. Damnit, it's unforgiveable!”
 
“He got my best friend.” One villager remarked.
 
“We've gotta go vampire huntin'!” another added.
 
“That's right! Death to Krory!” another agreed.
 
“Quite the angry mob…” Ami noted.
 
“We were prepared to confront Krory tonight, but…” George replied.
 
“God has not forsaken us!” he declared, as the entire village bowed before the two Exorcists. “Two Dark Priests, the seal of the Order on their breast has come to save us from the wicked vampire!”
 
“Dark Priests, Sir, Madam, we beg of you to rid us of the curse that is Krory.” He begged. “Save us please!”
 
“Um, that's not why we're here…” Allen told him.
 
“What?” George exclaimed. “Impossible! Why, then would a priest such has yourselves come to our village?”
 
“We're looking for someone…” Ami replied.
 
“Looking for someone?” George echoed.
 
“Ummm…” Allen added.
 
“He looks like this.” He said, showing them General Cross' picture. “His name is Cross Marian. Do you recognize him?”
 
“What's wrong?” he asked as George's eyes widened.
 
“There's no mistake!” George exclaimed. “I knew it!”
 
“What, now?” Allen gasped as the mayor hugged him.
 
“You really are the people we've been waiting for, the ones who'll save our village!” George wailed.
 
“Let go, please…” Allen pleaded. “What happened?”
 
“He predicted your arrival.” George replied, returning the picture.
 
“Our master, you mean?” Allen blinked.
 
“Yes, indeed.” George replied. “It was just a short while before Krory started hunting. A traveler came to our village. He came to ask directions to Castle Krory. We tried our best to stop him, saying that no one ever returned from there alive but he just laughed and went his way.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“I told him!” George wept.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“Three days had passed, and just when we thought for sure Krory had killed him… the traveler returned!” George continued.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

How did you make it back alive?” George gasped as General Cross walked past.
 
“My dear vendor, let me give you some advice.” General Cross told him. “If the master of the castle starts behaving out of sorts, you need to only seek the aid of one clothed as I am, with the same seal upon their breast. They will resolve everything. If you wait, they will most definitely come to this town.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“And after that, he went on his way.” George added. “After a while, the traveler foretold, Krory started attacking the village. All has unfolded as the traveler predicted and now, the two of you arrive, with the seal on your breasts, just as he said you would. Just as He predicted! You're without a doubt, the savior, come to save our town!”
 
“Stop! Stop this! All right, we'll do it! Just let me go…” Allen pleaded as George hugged him once more, and the villagers applauded.
 
Unknown to them, they were watched by someone.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“It's late, so I suggest the two of you rest up here and get started tomorrow.” George suggested as he prepared a room for the two Exorcists. “Good night.”
 
“Uh, right…” Allen nodded.
 
After George exited, he opened his suitcase to let Timcanpy out.
 
Lying on his bed, Allen stretched and yawned.
 
“Sidetracked again…” Ami sighed, lying on the bed beside him.
 
“Yeah.” Allen agreed. “We came to look for Master and now we're forced to hunt this vampire down…”
 
“Lights out, Allen.” Ami smiled and blew off the lamp.
 
Once the lights were turned off, the spy entered the room. Approaching Allen's bed, he returned to his Akuma's form and fired his gun at the seemingly occupied bed. Lifting the covers, the Akuma was stunned to find that Allen was not in bed.
 
“Too bad.” Allen replied behind the Akuma, his Innocence activated. “My left eye can reveal Akuma. You were watching this room from outside, weren't you?”
 
“We were watching you too.” Ami added.
 
The Akuma then flew towards them but was stopped by an ice spear through his body.
 
“Shit!” Allen gasped as the villagers rushed in, revealing themselves to be Akuma in disguise.
 
Ami quickly formed a water bubble to deflect the bullets that were fired at them. Then, she dispelled the bubble, turning it into a watery wave that blasted the Akumas against the wall.
 
“Allen!” she called out. Allen nodded and the two ran.
 
We've gotta get outside!” Allen noted as they ran.
 
However, their escape was blocked by another Akuma outside the window who fired bubbles at the two Exorcists. The bubbles crashed through the window, forcing the pair to dodge. Allen's left eye was hit by one of the bubbles.
 
The younger Exorcist knelt down in pain.
 
What was that? He wondered. My left eye is blind.
 
“Damn, there's a Level Two!” he gasped.
 
“Shine Aqua Illusion!” Ami unleashed her ice storm that destroyed the Akuma in front of them.
 
“Big hammer, small hammer, extend!” Lavi called, using his hammer to smash through the floating bubbles along with the Akumas.
 
“This is…” Allen gasped.
 
“Lavi! Bookman!” he beamed. “What are you doing here?”
 
“What'cha sittin' around for?” Lavi asked.
 
“There's no time to be lollygagging.” Bookman rebuked as the Akumas got back to their feet and started to fire again.
 
“Che!” Kanda snorted.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Downstairs…
 
“Hey!” the innkeeper complained. “Hey, what's going on?”
 
Three shots from the Akumas met his question as the innkeeper was then trapped under the fallen debris.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Upstairs…
 
“Hey, that's cheating!” Allen complained as the Akumas continued their relentless assault, Ami's ice shield covering the group.
 
“How's that?” Bookman remarked.
 
“Even beans have their uses, as they say.” Lavi quipped.
 
“I'm not a bean!” Allen retorted.
 
“Boys, if you guys are done arguing…” Ami scolded as she receded her shield. “They got away.”
 
“Hn.” Kanda grumbled.
 
The five leapt through the hole on the ground to give chase, but Bookman stopped for a while when he found the innkeeper under the debris.
 
“Wait!” he stopped the teenagers.
 
“Ah, crap!” Lavi cursed, going back.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

The next morning after the five Exorcists got the injured innkeeper in bed…
 
“My goodness! Five Dark Priests!” George gasped. “One cup runneth over! And you even fought the attacking monsters last night, the um…”
 
“Akuma.” Lavi supplied.
 
“Yes Akuma.” George nodded. “How wonderful, that you were able to rid us of the Akuma.”
 
“Well Akuma are our specialty, you see.” Allen smiled weakly, a bandage over his left eye.
 
“Akuma and vampires, they're all the same!” George beamed. “At any rate, I request you accompany our town's militia to the castle tonight.”
 
“Um…” Lavi blinked.
 
“We expect great things…” George added.
 
Allen and Lavi looked at each other.
 
“That does it.” Bookman remarked, covering up the injured innkeeper. “Well, you'll have to get going then.”
 
“Show me your eye.” He instructed.
 
“Um, yeah…” Allen nodded.
 
“You always seem to hurt this one eye.” Bookman commented as he changed the bandage. “Hmmm, the humor is absorbing it… I don't know how, but it would seem the humor in your eye is absorbing the damage done. It may be an effect from the Akuma's attack.”
 
“He gonna be all right?” Lavi asked.
 
“It's the same as when I treated him last.” Bookman replied. “Just give it some time, and the eye should see again of its own accord.”
 
“All right then.” Allen nodded. “What was this about going somewhere?”
 
“The townspeople's request.” Bookman answered. “The Akumas that attacked the two of you have me concerned and there must be some reason why Marshall Cross said what he said. We'll have to go see this vampire if we want to know what's going on.”
 
“That's true.” Allen nodded.
 
“Bad luck, pal. Buck up!” Lavi grinned.
 
“You're going too, Lavi.” Bookman added.
 
“It's part of your training.” he reminded his disciple at Lavi's incredulous expression.
 
“You two as well.” He turned to the silent couple leaning against the wall.
 
Ami nodded while Kanda just gave an annoyed snort.
 
“What about you?” Lavi asked.
 
“I can't leave.” Bookman replied. “There are still some concerns here about the Akuma too.
 
“All right already, you old panda.” Lavi whined.
 
“Who're you calling panda?” Bookman fumed, giving his disciple a kick on the head.
 
“Ow…!” Lavi complained.
 
“I told you not to call me that!” Bookman scolded.
 
“Quit complaining Lavi.” Ami grinned. “You so totally deserved that.”
 
“Frostbite, not you too!” Lavi whined as Kanda smirked.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

That night…
 
“Your left eye still can't see?” Lavi asked as the villagers followed the four Exorcists.
 
“Yeah, but it's all right.” Allen assured him.
 
“Allen, though, did you know that if a vampire bites you, you become one yourself?” Lavi informed him.
 
“Yeah, I think I heard that.” Allen replied.
 
“So, don't get bitten.” Lavi warned. “Also, about anti-vampire weaponry…”
 
“Yeah, I think they've got that covered…” Allen smiled.
 
“Something wrong?” George asked.
 
“No, nothing…” Allen and Lavi chorused.
 
“Think about it.” Lavi added. “There were Akuma here last night, right? Think the vampire might be an Akuma in disguise?”
 
“I've never heard of an Akuma that drinks blood.” Allen replied.
 
“That's true…” Lavi agreed.
 
“Maybe not an Akuma.” Ami suggested.
 
“An Innocence?” Allen blinked, realizing what she was getting at.
 
“But an Innocence that sucks blood…” Lavi shivered.
 
“We had a healing Innocence on Vittorio, so why not?” Ami shrugged.
 
“Oh yeah, I forgot to ask.” Allen added. “What are you, Bookman and Kanda doing here?”
 
“Oh that.” Lavi replied. “Well… Yuu was worried about Frostbite…” and earning him a glare from the swordsman.
 
“Stop, you four!” George halted.
 
“There, look.” He nodded towards the castle gates. “This is the gate to Castle Krory. Beyond here is a garden which Krory owns, where Akuma are said to lie. Beyond that is the castle itself.”
 
How tacky… Allen wondered.
 
“I can hear something...” He noted as the bats screeched by.
 
“Yeah…” Lavi agreed.
 
“Now, go!” George ordered.
 
“Kay…” both Allen and Lavi nodded nervously.
 
“Scary cats.” Kanda snorted.
 
“Yuu…” Ami giggled as the group entered.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
“Man, this Krory guy has terrible taste.” Lavi remarked as they walked through the garden.
 
A growl alerted Allen and he took off his glove.
 
“Oh! Why are you taking your gloves off, Allen?” Lavi teased. “You scared.”
 
“No, no!” Allen laughed nervously.
 
“I see you're fingering your weapon an awful lot, Lavi…” he noted.
 
“I'm so not scared.” Lavi retorted before they started laughing nervously.
 
“Immature brats.” Kanda grumbled.
 
“Why do we have to put up with these two?” Ami sighed.
 
Then, she gasped when she heard a pattering of footsteps.
 
“Yuu...” she hissed.
 
“Right.” Kanda nodded.
 
“Lavi, Allen.” Ami told the two, causing them to stop laughing. “He's here.”
 
“What is it?” George asked.
 
“There's something here!” Lavi hushed.
 
“It's getting closer!” Allen noted.
 
“What was that?” he blinked as Krory rushed past the group.
 
“It's damn fast!” Lavi remarked.
 
“What's that smell?” Kanda asked, sniffing the air.
 
“I thought I smelt a sticky sweet kind of smell.” George noted.
 
A scream from the gathered villagers alerted them.
 
“Franz…!” a villager stammered.
 
“What happened?” George asked, breaking through.
 
“It's got Franz!” the villager gasped as the four Exorcists broke through. “There he is!”
 
“That's…” Allen gasped.
 
“Him?” Lavi finished the question.
 
“Arystar Krory!” the villagers cried as Krory bit on Franz' neck.
 
“So he's not an Akuma!” Allen noted.
 
“I guess not…” Lavi replied.
 
“He's a real vampire?” Allen gasped.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
SailorStar9: This chapter is down. Read and review.