Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ To See What Was ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lady Jupiter sat leisurely on a pale white stone bench in the middle of her garden. It had been made for her a long time ago and she had often spent her time basking in its beauty. Today, however, she did not notice the beauty at all; as a matter of fact, the beauty of it had seemed to disappear from her eyes a long ago. Now, she sat there dazed in a stupor of thoughts. She looked grim. Her eyes were a dull forest green and her skin looked as pale as snow. Her hair was pulled back as usual but it did not look at all like what it used to. It was a dark brown and fell limply down to her shoulders, it was lifeless and boring. It never shimmered in the sunlight or glistened when it was wet, it was just…dead.

She struggled to find the reason for living these days. There was nothing to do, no one to save, and no point to anything at all. Taking a stroll through the forest had no more appeal to her, it was simply something to keep her busy, cooking no longer inspired her, sewing became tedious, cleaning began to feel more like busy work and fighting…well there was no use for it. It was a time of peace now and the wars had long been forgotten. Now was the time of Crystal Tokyo, where the kingdoms of the universe were restored and the inhabitants returned. She now had her home planet to run and Serenity had her Moon Kingdom while happily being married to Prince Endymion of Earth.

Lady Jupiter sighed deeply. What struggle it was for her to have to be here now. She felt so lost and misguided. No one was really capable of cheering her up anymore.

“Guess who,” came a masculine voice as hands came around quickly to cover Lady Jupiter’s eyes. A smile then crept slowly upon the queen’s face and she remembered, there was something worth living for.

“Why, I cannot say.” she replied.

The figure then laughed and pulled his hands away from her eyes. “Come on mom, don’t play games.” He then seated his self next to her on the bench and placed an arm around her shoulders. Lady Jupiter looked at him and could remember when he used to be a baby. Oh how he had grown so quickly! His chocolate brown hair still remained as unruly as when he was born and his eyes could swoon the hearts of any girl he met. They were dark blue and had sometimes changed into a luscious emerald green, it all depended on the way he felt. If he was sad, they would be a dark blue. If he was excited, they would be royal blue and if he was happy, then they would be a mixture between blue and green.

“Why aren’t you with your friends?” asked Lady Jupiter. He shrugged.

“I wanted to be with you,” he said with a smile. “Besides, you really shouldn’t be alone all the time mom. I mean, why don’t you and dad go out or something?”

Lady Jupiter looked at him weekly and struggled to give a fake little smile. “I wouldn’t want to interfere with your father’s busy schedule,” she lied. Her son nodded and looked down in disappointment.

“Well,” he said. “We can’t just sit around and do nothing. Let’s go!”

He quickly stood up and pulled his unsuspecting mother from her seat. ‘Since when did he get so strong?’ she thought to herself.

“Where are we going?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied honestly. “Maybe we can go get some ice cream and have a picnic at the park-”

“Heero,” she said with a stern look. “Where exactly do you plan on doing these activities?” she asked skeptically.

He paused and grinned nervously as he finally responded. “In the town, of course.”

Lady Jupiter shook her head and rubbed her temples. “You know that we cannot go into the public to do such activities. It would not-”

“be safe for us and if it’s not for important issues then we cannot hope to use body guards on such short notice…” said Heero as he finished his mother’s sentence. “You’ve told me a million times already. But mom, haven’t you ever broken the rules every once and a while?”

“No,” said Lady Jupiter stubbornly. “I have not. Rules are an important part of society. If we were to break the rules, then what would that say about ourselves? What would the people think, if we to ever openly broke the rules? There are many consequences that must be thought of.”

Heero dropped his shoulders in defeat and sighed. “Mom, there’s nothing to do around here. How are we supposed to have fun?”

“We can take walks together. You know I really enjoy your company,” she said in hopes of cheering him up. She could see the displeasure in his eyes as they began to darken in color, but she just didn’t want to teach her son that it was good to run off into town without proper purposes and preparation, it could be dangerous out there.

“Mom,” he said as he looked up. “You don’t even like to go for walks anymore. All you do is ask if I’m tired yet.”

She looked down again in realization of the truth and trudged alongside her son. “I’m sorry,” she said.

“Don’t be mom, you didn’t do anything,” said Heero. They then continued walking towards the castle in silence. All Lady Jupiter could do was think of how much her son had grown.

He was named after his father and was a spitting image of him too. The same build, unruly chocolate hair, the same abstract mind. The only thing he didn’t share was his personality. Heero Jr. was a very polite young man. He treated women kindly, loved to play with children, enjoyed nature, and had a knack to break the rules. He was a trouble maker, but still irreplaceable. Lady Jupiter wouldn’t trade him for the world. She must’ve done something right in her life to deserve such a cunning young man.

“Lady Jupiter,” called one of the workers in her castle.

“Yes?” she replied.

“The King would like to see you both,” he said with a bow. Lady Jupiter than nodded and thanked the messenger as she and her son made their way to the whereabouts of the King of Jupiter.

“Hey dad, what do you need?” asked Heero Jr. upon arriving in the room where his father was waiting.

Heero looked at his son and then at Lady Jupiter and commenced speaking. “Happy birthday Heero.” he said in a monotonous voice.

“Thanks,” replied his son.

Heero then nodded and hesitated before continuing.

“I know today is your special day Heero, but there has been a disturbing revelation that has come to my ears…” he paused.

“What is it?” asked Heero Jr. curiously.

“Duo…” he paused again. “He’s dying.”

Heero Jr’s breath caught in his throat as he heard this. His great Uncle Duo was dying? He suddenly felt his heart begin to drop lower and lower by the second as he continued to think about the whole situation. He knew Uncle Duo was one of his father’s closest friends and understood that Duo had meant a lot to him. After all, he remembered growing up with tales of his father’s adventures and how Duo had somehow found ways to save him and how his father too had found ways to save Duo. Yet there was no telling just how sad or depressed his father was since he himself was the master at hiding his emotion. No one had ever been able to break the barrier that Heero had fortified over the years, not even his wife in which he had a child with. As a matter of fact, when the news that Lady Jupiter was pregnant had spread, rumors of an affair had come flying around. Yet all doubts that Lady Jupiter had cheated on Heero were squashed when the baby boy turned out to have every single feature that his father had.

“What does this mean?” asked Lady Jupiter after a long period of silence.

Heero once again hesitated and stared directly at Lady Jupiter suspecting that she would be hardest to persuade.

“We may have to go live on Earth until his time is done,” said Heero.

Lady Jupiter’s eyes widened in a sense of horror at this and gulped. Change was not something she adapted well to these days.

“Are we going to leave today?” asked Heero Jr.

Heero nodded in response and Lady Jupiter’s heartbeat began to quicken with anxiety. “Originally, it was going to just be me that was going…but if you want to come then we’ll leave as soon as you can pack. But…” said Heero as he looked back at Lady Jupiter. “If your mother does not want to go then you must stay with her, Heero. I do not want her left alone.”

Heero Jr. then looked at his mother for an answer and she stuttered.

“I-I…” she stopped. “I don’t think it would be a good idea that you go.” she finally stated.

Heero Jr. then looked at her in disbelief and felt a sickening feeling start to churn in the pit of his stomach.

“Why?” he asked with anger rising.

“I don’t feel good about you going, that’s why,” she responded with sternness coming into play.

“But, Uncle Duo is dying!” cried Heero Jr.

Silence fell through the room and Lady Jupiter stood there with nothing to say. She stood there tense and you could see the discomfort in her eyes. She knew she didn’t want to go because that would mean leaving her home for Earth where she knew no one, and change was not something that she greeted willingly. She did not want to be pulled away from her comfortable circumstances but she knew her son wanted to go so badly, but she couldn’t let him. She had a bad feeling about this and didn’t want to compromise her sons safety! Or at least, that’s what she kept telling herself in hopes of justifying her own uneasiness.

“You cannot go and that’s final!” said Lady Jupiter flatly, which surprised her. She didn’t even know that came out until her son busted out through the door and she was forced to recount her words. ‘What have I done?’ she thought as she tried to go after him. Heero quickly grabbed her wrist to stop her and she turned around surprised.

“Leave him.” he said bluntly before leaving to go to his room. Lady Jupiter then stood there alone.

Heero Jr. practically kicked the door to his room open as he came up the stairs. He paced his room in obvious rage and was so oblivious to his surroundings that he never noticed the strangely clad women in the corner of his room. She looked like a gypsy wearing long robes with gold hanging from the edge of the cloth. The only thing you could see that even hinted she was “human” were her eyes that were a misty black.

“Prince Heero of Jupiter,” she stated and Heero halted at seeing her.

“Who are you?” he asked quickly.

“I am the Oracle, as you may. I have come to give to you a gift in celebration of your eighteenth birthday, as is custom. I have granted the entire royal line of Jupiter ever since the beginning of time and it has been on the day of which they can rightfully claim adulthood. Any one gift that you want shall be given to you if you ask it.” she said as he stared at her in doubt.

“Are you kidding me?” he asked. The ‘Oracle’, so to speak, stood there oblivious to the boy’s sarcasm. Frustrated Heero just sat in defeat on the edge of his bed. He buried his face in his hands and began to murmur things to himself and forced himself to forget of the Oracle’s presence.

“Why can’t my mom just go? She doesn’t do anything over here, she’s never had to do anything in her whole life come to think of it. She’s been a princess since who knows when, or at least that’s what dad says. Why can’t she just -” he paused and let his back fall into his soft bed as he pulled his arms behind his head. “I wish I understood where my mom was coming from,” he said as he stared at the ceiling.

“Shall I give you that gift now?” asked the Oracle who was now hovering above Heero. He jumped and rolled off his bed bringing some of the covers around him. He flailed his arms hastily and finally got the covers off of him. His hair was all over and the Oracle giggled at him.

“Are you crazy?” yelled Heero Jr. “People don’t just hover in thin air, you know!”

The Oracle then returned to her emotionless state and replied plainly, “Obviously you have no clue as to what the Jovian line royalty has faced. Why, if your shocked by a simple being hovering above you, then you would stand no chance against the enemies of the warriors in the Jovian line. They have seen stranger things and it would take much to scare them in such a way as I have to you. This gift would be something great to offer, though I have never done it before. I do feel it will be the best one to be given yet…”

“What are you talking about?” yelled Heero in frustration. “I don’t even know who you are!” The Oracle then raised her arm to respond but Heero cut her off. “Just leave me alone!” he yelled.

The Oracle stared at him and could see is rising anger so she nodded and complied with his request. “I will be waiting to give you your gift,” she said as she disappeared. Heero stared at the spot where she stood for a while before he shook his head back into reality. He then walked to his door and opened it right as his mother was about to knock.

She blushed and looked down in shame before she continued to speak and he stared at her still fuming in fury. “I…I wanted to apologize. I know you care much for Duo and it was selfish of me to want to keep you here. I just wish you could feel the uneasiness that I felt right now.” she said as she looked at him with stress filled eyes. “But…I thought it over, and I told your father that it was okay if you went with him to Earth.”

Heero’s heart jumped at her words, but his rage would not leave so easy. He knew she was probably doing this so he wouldn’t be upset with her. She was always concerned with what others thought of her that it sickened him. Ever since he was a little kid she would spoil him so that he would be happy with her. She could never face him head on when he was angry at her.

“Are you going?” he managed to let out through his clenched teeth. He had not want to sound harsh, but he couldn’t help it.

She slowly nodded and he looked down. Oh how she hated to see him angry like that. He couldn’t even look her in the eye and at that she was pained. Since when did she ever become so weak? After a while of just standing there, Heero finally turned to go back into his room so he could pack. He then looked at his mother and she smiled faintly before she nodded for him to close his door. He finally did so and her stature seemed to shrink. Her back was leaning on the wall and her head hung low as she held her hand on her chest. Anxiety? No, there was something really bothering her about this trip but she didn’t know what. She hadn’t felt anything like this before but she still just passed it as nervousness of moving to a new environment.

HOURS LATER

The castle workers quickly began to carry luggage into the shuttle and said their goodbyes to the royal family of Jupiter. Once aboard the shuttle, the three fastened their seatbelts and you could see the nervousness that Lady Jupiter had as she shakily placed her seatbelt on. She kept her gaze forward and both her husband and her son couldn’t help but feel a little sorry for her. They knew she was terribly afraid of flying and hadn’t quite gotten used to any form of flying at all. She still couldn’t stand to listen to the sounds of shuttles taking flight or of planes, the sound scared her to death so you could imagine how she felt now inside the shuttle that she had so desperately tried to avoid.

“Are you okay?” asked Heero Jr. His mother nodded slowly in response and started to perspire. He frowned slightly angry at himself because he still had a grudge against his mother. She was so weak and he was somewhat ashamed to be related to her, but every time he thought that he mentally cursed at himself for those sort of thoughts. Yet, it was evident that she was no ruler. If she had not married his father then he could imagine that Jupiter would’ve ended up being conquered or worse. She could’ve married a power hungry man that mistreated her, so thank goodness for her being able to find Heero Yuy, who was well known as the “Perfect Soldier.”

The shuttle took off at a rocky start, but eventually the ride became smoother. Lady Jupiter sat there tense as she desperately clasped the arms of her chair. She looked very pale and it seemed as she had been holding her breath for the whole trip. Heero, however, was sitting comfortably in deep thought. When they arrived on Earth, Lady Jupiter released a huge sigh of relief and quickly exited the shuttle. Her son then came out after her and squinted as he was greeted with the bright light of day. Then finally, Heero emerged with his hands in his pocket. He was wearing regular jeans with a white shirt and a black jacket. Lady Jupiter had been opposed to his choice of clothing but he paid no heed. Duo did not know him as a finely dressed King, but as a “friend” and as friends they never dressed in fancy clothing when they saw each other.

“King Jupiter!” cried a man as he came shuffling to meet Heero. “I am Arnaud, the caretaker of Master Duo’s estate.” he said as he bowed slightly. In the corner of her eye, Lady Jupiter watched him and felt sickened.

“Are you feeling well Lady Jupiter?” asked Heero as he temporarily ignored Arnaud.

“Yes,” she lied. “I’m feeling quite alright.” Heero then nodded in response and commenced to follow Arnaud around the premises. Lady Jupiter and Heero Jr. were then ushered into another area opposite from where they were taking King Jupiter. They walked in silence through the halls exploring and Lady Jupiter was soon left to face the wrenching discomfort that she was feeling the second she stepped out of the shuttle. Her heart was pounding in worry, but why? She kept trying to convince herself that everything was okay, but it never worked.

Heero Jr. walked along side his mother and could feel her distress glowering from inside the depths of her mind. He was still upset with her and could find no ways of striking a conversation with her. He was just so tired of always seeing her in such a weak state. The Queens of the other planets used to tell him tales of her younger days and how she used to be tough and unbeatable, but it was hard for him to believe. Yeah, the stories kept him content when he was younger but in every year that passed by, he found himself pitying her. Though he loved her more than words can say, he still couldn’t stand to see her like this. The more he thought about her the more he realized how little he knew about her. How could this have happened?

His father didn’t even know much about Lady Jupiter’s history either. He just assumed that she was a girl that grew up with the luxuries of a princess who was spoiled and hadn’t worked a day in her life. Honestly, there was no love between Lady Jupiter and Heero Yuy. They were just arranged to get married when the two worlds emerged to be one. Heero had the fame of being a tough soldier and Jupiter had the power. They were a perfect political match, but love was nonexistent. It was a miracle that they had even had a son!

“Shall we split up to find your father?” asked Lady Jupiter as they came to the end of a hall that was supposed to lead to the Dining Room where they were supposed to meet Heero and Duo.

“Sure,” replied her son. He was about to turn around to trace the steps of Arnaud, but his mother stopped him.

“I’ll go this way,” she said and he nodded. He continued in the opposite direction and was completely oblivious to his mother’s staring figure. She watched him until he was out of sight and she turned slowly. She could feel something wrong here and did not dare let her son have to face it. She walked cautiously through the hall and paused when she came to a door. All her suspicion rose quickly as she stood there and her breathing quickened in worry. She reached forward to grab the knob, but the door opened on its own. She then gulped before she walked into the pitch black room and fell forward onto the ground. There was a loud thud and she hastily felt around for the thing that she had tripped over. It was wet and her breath suddenly caught in her chest as the lights unexpectedly came to life. She was about to let out a scream when she felt a quick flash of pain go through her back. The tiny bullet ripped through skin and she slowly put her hand down to where the blood was and collapsed.

“Dad?” cried Heero Jr. as he continued to search around the yard. He had looked everywhere and there was still no sign of him. Soon he found himself back to the place where he started. In defeat he began to look in the area where his mom was supposed to cover and opened every door he passed. There was still no sign of any of them. Not even the workers were walking by anymore and it was only three in the afternoon.

“Hello?” he called out in the hall and there was no response. He sighed deeply and unconsciously leant on the wall. The door across from him suddenly creaked open and caught his attention. He suddenly noticed a pool of some sort of liquid illuminating in the dark and grabbed something by him to use as a weapon. The sword was an old antique meant for decoration, but Heero didn’t care. It still gave him a sense of security as he slowly crept through the door. He felt his foot come into contact with something hard and he paused. He stepped out again and tried to open the door wider but it wouldn’t move. It seemed the object was much heavier than he had judged it to be, so he went in again. He bent down and began to feel around for the thing on the floor and found it. He slowly moved his hands and felt what seemed to be hair…his eyes suddenly widened in realization and he dove forward as he heard a shot sound off.

The lights came back on and he saw Arnaud standing there triumphantly with his gun in hand. Heero Jr. then saw his father lying dead on the floor with several bullets ingrained in his body. Then his gaze fell on another body, it was his mother. Every feeling of disgust and pity suddenly turned and fired rounds at him as he realized she was almost dead. In the last moments of being with her, he regarded her as someone who was weak and below him. Someone that he had not wanted to be affiliated with. His heart seemed to stop as he constantly kept cursing himself for being so stupid!

“Get up boy,” said Arnaud harshly with his gun still held firmly.

Heero listened and stood up. Arnaud then sneered.

“Coward,” he hissed. “Your father was not so easy to command. He kept trying to come at me, but I stopped him. I almost thought he was invincible but I guess it just took more bullets to kill him than usual…Your mother was easy,” he said tauntingly and Heero’s features hardened.

“She went down before the bullet even hit her,” he exaggerated. “She wasn’t even worth the wasted bullet.”

“Shut-*&!” yelled Heero in frustration. The man cackled.

“You know she was weak,” he said slowly. “Everyone knows it. She wouldn’t even be able to squash a small fly for the world!” he remarked coldly.

Heero was shaking in rage as the man continued to insult his mother and soon he couldn’t take it anymore. Foolishly he charged towards the man and swung his sword violently at him. Arnaud was surprised by this and lost hold of his gun. He then struggled to keep Heero’s sword from coming down on him and kicked Heero low and Heero bent over in pain. Arnaud frantically rushed to grab his gun and shot at Heero. Heero clutched his arm and cringed, even more enraged he charged again and Arnaud stood there shaking nervously as he tried to reload his gun.

“Die!” he cried as he raised his gun. Before he could shoot, Heero threw his sword and managed to knock the gun out of Arnaud’s hands. Well actually, he managed to cut his right hand off and left Arnaud screaming in pain. Heero then ran to his mother and could feel her faint breathing. He frenetically picked her up and ran. He found the closest room he could and placed her softly on the ground. He searched for a phone or some way out but couldn’t find anything so he barricaded the door with everything that he could find. He then went to his mother’s side to try and keep her alive but he had no idea what to do.

“Heero,” she said in a soft whisper.

“Mom?” he said exasperated and quickly placed himself next to her and held her hand. She smiled weakly.

“Get out of here,” she spoke faintly.

“No, mom. I’m not going without you,” he replied with determination. She looked at him sadly and was interrupted by sudden pounding at the door.

“I KNOW YOUR IN THERE!” yelled Arnaud.

Heero then looked around for something to defend himself with but saw nothing. He then turned back to his mother and jumped as he came face to face to the Oracle.

“It’s you,” said Heero.

Slightly annoyed, the Oracle straightened up and nodded. “Yes, it is I.”

“You can get us out of here! For my gift I want you to get us to a hospital and to bring my dad back!” he yelled desperately.

The Oracle then shook her head as she looked at him sternly. “I cannot do that. You have already asked for a gift, it is just a matter of me giving it to you. You cannot change what you want, I have already made preparations for your first requested gift.”

“What?” replied Heero becoming more frantic as he saw the barricade getting weaker.

“Do you want your gift now?” she asked shortly.

Heero looked from her to the door and then back to his mother.

“Yes,” he answered quickly. “I want my gift now!” he yelled. Arnaud’s figure then burst through the door with a disturbing smile and stood with his gun and fired. The gun shot sounded in a loud “Bang” and seemed to drift in the air as a blinding blanket of light enveloped the whole room.

“Heero, wake up. Heero!”

Heero slowly opened his eyes and squinted at the surprisingly bright sunlight. “Where am I?” he asked as he groggily got up and rubbed his eyes.

“I don’t know,” answered a voice that sounded like his with the exception that it was monotonous.

Heero Jr. then yawned with outstretched arms and looked to the side and jumped wide eyed in surprise.

“Dad?” he finally managed to spit out. His dad stood there with his same emotionless face but now he was in the body of an eighteen year old!

“Yeah,” he responded bluntly.

“How?” said Heero Jr. in surprise. “What?-Who?”

“I don’t know,” replied Heero again. He then stood there rubbing his head and looked himself over. He had no injuries, there were no signs of bullets and he was young again. Heero Jr. stood there open mouthed in obvious shock and rubbed his eyes to try and wipe away this dream, but when he opened them he was greeted with the same scenery.

“I guess it’s not a dream,” concluded Heero Jr. slowly. Then his head suddenly popped up as he realized something. “Where’s mom?”

……………………& #8230;……….......

So, What do you guys think? Good, bad, terrible, let me know! Thanks for reading and don’t forget to review!

PS

I don’t own SM or GW